SillyKent's 3LIT3 2010 Phantom Draft (1sT RoUnD)

Remove this Banner Ad

SillyKent

Senior List
Jul 25, 2010
Perth, Melbourne
AFL Club
Gold Coast
1. GC17 - D.Swallow

LOCK.

2. GC17 - H.Bennell

LOCK.

3. GC17 - S.Day

LOCK.

4. WCE - B.Smith

WCE recruiting team love dem 185-190cm midfielders particularly those with good contested ball winning skills (Stevens, S.Selwood, Swift, Ebert, Shuey etc. all recruited in the last 3 drafts with top 25 picks).

Smith will add another strong contested ball winner into the midfield rotation, but also an explosive runner that can break tackles and kick with depth.

Has 2 yrs of U18 experience and performed well at SANFL this year.

5. GC17 - T.Lynch

Clayton isn't afraid to pull trigger earlier than expected if he really likes a particular prospect.

Like many recruiters he'd probably be excited about the large improvement trend and future potential Lynch has shown from the championships and onwards.

6. RIC - J.Polec

Tiges are reasonably well balanced for young talent in most departments.

The dashing, long kicking outside midfielder would add another attacking weapon to the Tiger's young midfield-line that already contains Martin, Cotchin, Deledio and Foley.

7. GC17 - D.Gorringe

Have a few developing rucks already but Gorringe might be a bit too hard to pass up.

Skinny, standout tap ruck that has excellent leap, mobility and ability to push forward of the centre.

8. ESS - J.Caddy

Essendon lack some real quality young contested ball winners in the midfield.

Caddy is a contested ball and clearance winning machine and seems a big stage player that was BOG vs WA in the televised game.

A good fit.

9. GC17 -
P.McCarthy

Developing key defenders is one area that hasn't been covered all that well by the current recruits, McCarthy seems more likely to interest Clayton than Watson.

Tall, athletic developing key defender prospect that reads the play and uses the ball well.

10. BRL - M.Watson

Brisbane haven't invested in many quality young key position prospects in recent drafts, so I think they'll go tall this year.

Watson gives them a beastly defender that reads the play and orchestrates attacks with precision, whilst being ready to step up year 1.

11. GC17 - S.Atley

A medium, athletic midfield/flank type that Clayton will probably like.

12. Melbourne - S.Lycett

Will probably go for a tall forward or ruck type given there are a number of good prospects likely to be available.

Lycett could develop into either and bears some similarities to Kurt Tippett as a strong bodied 202cm player that is athletic and mobile.

13. GC17 -
K.Harper

Quick 'n' clever medium forward. Could move into a midfield role later down the track.

14. ADE - J.Cripps

Adelaide have some very good young tall prospects, so will probably look to go for mostly midfielders and flankers this year.

Not mentioned in first round talk yet, but eye-catching late WAFL form could push him into first round contention.

Cripps is a tough, speedy player that is penetrating by foot, I think he will develop into a midfielder long term.

15. GC17 - A.Litherland

A bit of a surprise 1st round selection.

I think Clayton will like the cut of his jib.

Tall, athletic, well-skilled and could potentially play either in defence (3rd tall or maybe key on the right opponent) or as a tall wingman.

Was pretty close to U18 AA selection.

16. Port Adelaide -
A.Gaff

A surprise slider.

Port have accumulated a decent stock of talls so will probably go for a midfield or flank type, unless one of the gun SA talls are available.

The best midfield accumulator in this draft with a 'made for AFL' work-rate but his lack of outstanding skills may seem him drop around this mark.

17. North Melbourne -
L.Cook

They have a balanced stock of youth without any standout needs.

Cook is a smart key position player that has played most his football forward.

18. Carlton -
J.Darling

Quietly confident he will slide and wouldn't be surprised to see him in the 2nd round.

Their last 2 1st round picks have been West Aussie, why not make it three...

Darling probably won't be the star everyone was extrapolating last year, but will at least be a very solid forward player that provide great physical pressure and presence.

19. Hawthorn -
J.Pitt

No standout players that fit their needs ...

Pitt seems a versatile, agile and neatly skilled type from the local TAC Club that could play on HB, C or HF lines.

20. Fremantle - L.Parker

Lack some quality young key position players, but there aren't any standouts left.

Powerful inside midfielder that can also push forward take a grab and hit the scoreboard. Might lack a yard of pace, but has a big motor.

Was one of the best vs WA at Subiaco.

A good replacement for the retiring Hasleby.

Sydney - D.Heppell

A reliable, level headed defensive rebounder that could take over Kennelly's role in a couple of seasons.

22. Western Bulldogs - T.Liberatore (Father/Son)

... or Mitch Wallace it doesn't really matter which order.

I prefer Libba.

Creative and smart left footed inside midfielder in the mould of Simon Black.

23. Geelong -
J.Lamb

Not sure they have any pressing needs ...

Speedy medium forward that can take a grab, provide good pressure and kick long could play off a wing down the track.

24. St Kilda - M.Hallahan

Don't really have many young extractors on their list and Lenny is hitting the 30s.

Hallahan is a bulldozing inside midfielder that isn't going to excite large crowds but will be effective.

25. Collingwood -
B.Smedts

Again, not sure they have any pressing areas to be filled.

Versatile, smart utility type that can play back or forward.

That is all...

Wow interesting selections which made for a refreshing read. However, as I read from the top I thought kid lions would be very lucky having Gaff and atley slide...they would not pass on either of them.

With the lions you are right that we need a tall defender, but with risky going to the GC, and Brennan likely to leave together with black and power nearing retirement the lions lack midfielders. Add that it is well known that the lions lack pace through the middle and it is a no brainer that the lions will lock in a quality mid

But..should the lions get a good pick for Brennan thenI think the lions will be very keen on Watson

Good write up mate

I disagree on Darling, i recon hes gunna be a gun and personally hope the Tiges take him at 6

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thanks for the comments, fellas.

Can't be bothered changing the order, but Heppell is very likely go top 10 now that he's shown he can push into the midfield with great effect during the TAC finals series.

Maybe one of GC17 or Essendon's pick.

Atley at 11, Gaff at 16. Im just gonna go ahead and say lol. i reckon that just about sums it up.

I reckon it's pretty even after the top 3.

Clubs always have different rankings and I expect them to have an even larger disparity in their rankings this year.

You seriously think Gaff will go behind Smith, Polec, Caddy, Atley, Harper AND Cripps?

I thought I'd mix it up, give people something different to read ... like I said it's quite even after the top 3.

Maybe not all of them ... I'd be very surprised if he's taken ahead of Polec and Smith.

Gaff is a real workhorse, but all of those guys have the potential to impact more with perhaps their power, contested ball winning, pace, evasiveness, kicking depth, goal kicking etc. ... it's much easier to improve a guys output through coaching and fitness training than it is to improve his 'hurt factor'.

Don't rate Gaff quite as high as some (his ability to really influence games is up for debate, though I don't doubt his decision-making and ball-finding ability) but I very much doubt he'll not be top 10.

Heppell is also guaranteed to be at least top 15 surely. Gun.

Nice to see a phantom draft that dares to be different though. The real draft always throws a few spanners in the works so this kind of stuff is refreshing.

Don't rate Gaff quite as high as some (his ability to really influence games is up for debate, though I don't doubt his decision-making and ball-finding ability) but I very much doubt he'll not be top 10.

Heppell is also guaranteed to be at least top 15 surely. Gun.

Nice to see a phantom draft that dares to be different though. The real draft always throws a few spanners in the works so this kind of stuff is refreshing.

I agree, and it wouldn't surprise me to see the Lions take him with the Brennan pick from the GC should he be available

I like this PD. Well done.

I particularly like it because it has us taking Parker at 20. I've been in for alot of criticism on the Freo board for suggesting that he may last until 20.

I hope we're right.

I agree, and it wouldn't surprise me to see the Lions take him with the Brennan pick from the GC should he be available
He will be gone by the time that pick would come into it,if at all cant see you getting pick 7 for him more around 13 id say would be fair considering hes out of contract and the likes of carlton etc dont have a lower pick and its not as if you can take on a player swap with a bulging cap

He will be gone by the time that pick would come into it,if at all cant see you getting pick 7 for him more around 13 id say would be fair considering hes out of contract and the likes of carlton etc dont have a lower pick and its not as if you can take on a player swap with a bulging cap

Yeah, You are proberly right. I think the Lions will havetheir eyes on Watson if they get a pick for brennan between 11-15

Remove this Banner Ad

Back