Similarity to the 1991 finals series

Remove this Banner Ad

BlueandGoldforever

Cancelled
Apr 10, 2008
Sydney
AFL Club
West Coast
In 1991 the Eagles played at Waverley three weeks in a row and four weeks of finals continuously:

(It was worth noting too that in round 24 on Saturday, August 31 we played Fitzroy at Princess Park losing by 10 points. So all up, the Eagles travelled for four out of five weeks to Victoria).

1)Sunday, September 8: Qualifying final: Hawthorn defeated us by 23 points at Subiaco Oval
2) Sunday, September 15: ist Semi-final: We defeated Melbourne by 38 points at Waverley
3) Saturday, September 21: Preliminary final: We defeated Geelong by 15 points at Waverley
4) Saturday, September 28: Grand final: Hawthorn thrashed us by 53 points at Waverley.

Every Eagles player I spoke to about the 1991 grand final said that they were cooked by half-time and even though we only trailed by 10 points at three-quarter time, Hawthorn had the wind in the last quarter and kicked eight goals.

I do think that the 1991 Eagles side had more talent and resolve to be honest and they did finish top of the ladder with a 19-3 win-loss ratio.

In 1991 it was Hawthorn (of course) beating us in the QF at Subi that killed us. One difference these days is that I reckon the pre finals bye does help teams that have to travel.

In 1991 it was Hawthorn (of course) beating us in the QF at Subi that killed us. One difference these days is that I reckon the pre finals bye does help teams that have to travel.

I agree plus if we beat Essendon we get an eight day break before playing on the following Friday night. If we win that then at least a seven day break to the preliminary final.

In 1991 the Eagles played at Waverley three weeks in a row and four weeks of finals continuously:

(It was worth noting too that in round 24 on Saturday, August 31 we played Fitzroy at Princess Park losing by 10 points. So all up, the Eagles travelled for four out of five weeks to Victoria).

1)Sunday, September 8: Qualifying final: Hawthorn defeated us by 23 points at Subiaco Oval
2) Sunday, September 15: ist Semi-final: We defeated Melbourne by 38 points at Waverley
3) Saturday, September 21: Preliminary final: We defeated Geelong by 15 points at Waverley
4) Saturday, September 28: Grand final: Hawthorn thrashed us by 53 points at Waverley.

Every Eagles player I spoke to about the 1991 grand final said that they were cooked by half-time and even though we only trailed by 10 points at three-quarter time, Hawthorn had the wind in the last quarter and kicked eight goals.

I do think that the 1991 Eagles side had more talent and resolve to be honest and they did finish top of the ladder with a 19-3 win-loss ratio.

To the 1991 Final Series...... ugly, painful, a little off putting and not a good look ...... but we had to go through football puberty before we emerged as a fully fledged adult.

Me I much preferred the 1992 & 1994 Final Series....... got to love Geelong.

734696 734699

Also in 2012 we had to beat Hawthorn at the MCG in the last game of the season to make the top four but we came up short and finished fifth.

1991 we played at Waverley despite being the higher ranked team
That finals series was an absolute farce. After we lost the qualifying final to Hawthorn we somehow had a Semi final in Victoria against the 5th placed Melbourne (who inexplicably won a home game by beating 6th placed Essendon in the elimination final - WTF!), then we copped 3rd placed Geelong in Vic in the Preliminary final (who unbelievably got handed a home game despite being beaten by Hawthorn in the semi's - again WTF). Absolute bullshit and it still pisses me off.

Actually this season is very similar to 2012. We had to beat Hawthorn at the MCG in the last game of the year to finish fourth but we lost by approximately four goals meaning we finished fifth with a 15-7 record.

We then played North Melbourne in the Elimination Final at Subiaco Oval, which we won by 96 points.

On a six-day break we played Collingwood at the MCG and lost by 13 points.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I was there that night and it was a certain goal even if he shinned it forward.. we had numbers everywhere..... and would have killed that game ,thats just thrown up a nightmare i thought id forgotten

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

We could have kicked seven or eight goals in the first quarter that we dominated.

To highlight one incident is silly because there was plenty of time afterwards to still win the game.

I've decided that it's best if geelong wins so we play pies wk2. We know how to beat the at the MCG.

If we were to win, an away prelim against Brisbane would be the next best opponent.

They travelled 5 straight weeks actually. Last round was against us at Subi. Then MCG, SCG, MCG, MCG.

Can be done but don’t focus too far ahead. Expect nothing and let’s see what unfolds.

I’ll be expecting to win , just need the players to Believe..

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Actually this season is very similar to 2012. We had to beat Hawthorn at the MCG in the last game of the year to finish fourth but we lost by approximately four goals meaning we finished fifth with a 15-7 record.

We then played North Melbourne in the Elimination Final at Subiaco Oval, which we won by 96 points.

On a six-day break we played Collingwood at the MCG and lost by 13 points.
Good chance we play Collingwood again in a semi if we get past Essendon.

We also had 4 AA inductees that year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back