Simonds Stadium (Geelong) - Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

The powers that be should lobby to host more AFL games once the new stand is constructed, to only host seven AFL games per year at such a modern venue is a monumental waste. The games played at Etihad that will attract 25,000 or less should be fixtured at Simonds IMO.

It would save clubs (like North and WB) a ton of money if they played at Simonds. I'm sure the AFL would need to approve a move like that though.

Will be finished for the first home game on Saturday Night June 1st 2013. It's believed Geelong will play 8 of the last 13 games next year at Kardinia Park with 4 of them being Saturday Night games (Maximum allowed in the deal with the City of Greater Geelong) and 4 afternoon games. With only 3 home games in Melbourne all played before June 1st.

In my opinion, Geelong should play all our home games at Kardinia Park. We make a lot more money playing at KP then in Melbourne.

Also the club invited both Western Bulldogs and North Melbourne to play 5 home games each at KP, with their home games against Geelong to be played in Melbourne. The deal included only paying for the costs of running the ground for the day and Geelong FC would wave their share of rent so they (WB & NM) could make money. Apparently they would've only needed 7500 attendance to break even, but still both clubs knocked the deal back.

In my opinion, Geelong should play all our home games at Kardinia Park. We make a lot more money playing at KP then in Melbourne.

Also the club invited both Western Bulldogs and North Melbourne to play 5 home games each at KP, with their home games against Geelong to be played in Melbourne. The deal included only paying for the costs of running the ground for the day and Geelong FC would wave their share of rent so they (WB & NM) could make money. Apparently they would've only needed 7500 attendance to break even, but still both clubs knocked the deal back.

I still think Geelong should play a couple of games at the MCG. Helps promote their Melbourne fanbase. It would also allow your players to gain some big game experience at the 'G.

Are you sure about us knocking you guys back? I thought the AFL didn't approve of it. I thought they only allow sold games to "unestablished" markets. That's why North couldn't sell games in Perth a few years ago. I'd love it if our team played some games in Geelong. Only an hour's drive. Sure beats selling games interstate for a quick buck.

Will be finished for the first home game on Saturday Night June 1st 2013. It's believed Geelong will play 8 of the last 13 games next year at Kardinia Park with 4 of them being Saturday Night games (Maximum allowed in the deal with the City of Greater Geelong) and 4 afternoon games. With only 3 home games in Melbourne all played before June 1st.

Sounds good, in the future I'd love for Geelong to 'own' the Saturday twilight timeslot playing games at Simonds. Should still play games at the 'G though against high-drawing opposition in Hawthorn, Collingwood, Essendon etc.

Would the AFL have approved those deals though?

Of course they won't. Problem is the AFL signs deals to play a certain amount of games per year at the MCG and Telstra dome. Then home tenants of these grounds (Hawks, Roos, Demons, Tigers & Dogs) play a few of their home games interstate for $ and we have to make up the difference. Is an absolute load of horse shit and don't let the AFL fool you in to thinking it's about 'maximising attendances' because it's not and they only pull that garbage excuse out when it suits them.

Once construction is complete Geelong should be allowed to play AT LEAST nine games a year at Kardinia Park.

I dislike this ground, they put the oposing teams cheer squad 15 row back. What a joke.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That only happened this year because of the construction. Usually they are right behind the goals in the Wade stand, which will become the Players stand

The opposition cheer squad usually sit in the forward pocket (in front of where the temporary stand was).

Na they were on the fence but thats UNAUSTRALIAN to have a Cheer Squad not behind the goals..... Tell me if I'm wrong but I don't think any other stadium does this?

Na they were on the fence but thats UNAUSTRALIAN to have a Cheer Squad not behind the goals..... Tell me if I'm wrong but I don't think any other stadium does this?

SCG always has always had the visiting cheer squad in the pocket a few bays from the Sydney cheer squad for some reason.

I dislike this ground, they put the oposing teams cheer squad 15 row back. What a joke.

Well your first problem is you are in a cheer squad.Your second problem is that it was a one off that the opposition CS were moved due to construction work.

They've always done that at K Park- the seats behind the goals are taken up by Cats members. It's not exactly un-Australian either, at most of the suburban grounds I remember the away teams cheer squad usually sat/stood on the wing.

All I say is make it exactly like the MCG and I might start to respect it....

Good to see Kardinia Park will have night games :thumbsu:

Will be finished for the first home game on Saturday Night June 1st 2013. It's believed Geelong will play 8 of the last 13 games next year at Kardinia Park with 4 of them being Saturday Night games (Maximum allowed in the deal with the City of Greater Geelong)

Why does the City of Greater Geelong care if they play at night?

Should still play games at the 'G though against high-drawing opposition in Hawthorn, Collingwood, Essendon etc.
I honestly don't see why these clubs shouldn't play us at Geelong on occasion. It would make for a fairer fixture.
Why does the City of Greater Geelong care if they play at night?

Because councils kick up a fuss over everything (the COGG being no exception). And plus, the residents living in the immediate vicinity of Kardinia Park will chuck a tanty if there are noisy crowds, traffic, and excessive brightness emanating from the light towers late at night. A bit like people who buy houses near an airport or speedway and proceed to complain about the noise.

I honestly don't see why these clubs shouldn't play us at Geelong on occasion. It would make for a fairer fixture.

Because councils kick up a fuss over everything (the COGG being no exception). And plus, the residents living in the immediate vicinity of Kardinia Park will chuck a tanty if there are noisy crowds, traffic, and excessive brightness emanating from the light towers late at night. A bit like people who buy houses near an airport or speedway and proceed to complain about the noise.

1. I still think that Geelong should play at least 2 games in Melbourne so that their Melbourne based members/fans can get to games. Plus games that will draw 50/60/70/80k plus should be played at the MCG regardless of who is playing and, at the moment, Geelong would easily draw that number in a home game against Collingwood, Carlton, Hawthorn, Essendon even Richmond.

2. To be fair, those people living in the immediate vicinity probably bought their house under the assumption that they would never be disturbed by night games.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back