Opinion Simpson to the Roos BS

Remove this Banner Ad

Wasn't the original story regarding North and Simmo, set for 2022 when he comes out of contract?
Anything before then is ridiculous, (the man is busy going B2B and 3peats FFS!)
and after his contract expires in 2022, anything is possible!
Owning a house here doesn't equate to permanent residency here either.

Wasn't the original story regarding North and Simmo, set for 2022 when he comes out of contract?
Anything before then is ridiculous, (the man is busy going B2B and 3peats FFS!)
and after his contract expires in 2022, anything is possible!
Owning a house here doesn't equate to permanent residency here either.
Dude, you can't just sell houses...

Premiership coach with his team now currently on 7-3 in the hunt for back to back, and he's about to be handed the keys to the best coaching and training facility money can buy. Yes that's correct, we have achieved all of that without even using our new facilities yet. Think Simmo would be pretty content, some would say arrogantly so.

I love the fact that our club is so cashed up that we will always have the funds to retain a coach.

Financially Arrogant.

I love the fact that our club is so cashed up that we will always have the funds to retain a coach.

Financially Arrogant.
When I lived in Melbourne, I was never sure with the tin rattlers on Flemington Road as to whether they were collecting money for the Royal Children's Hospital or for North Melbourne.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It makes a certain amount of sense, and were WC not so primed for a few more flag tilts I'd say it'd be very likely.
- Favourite son returning home sorta thing
- way more money
- as someone else astutely pointed out, miles away from Basil Zempilas (surely this is the main attraction)
- leaving the eagles in an almost Lycett-esque, "he won us a flag so we love him anyway" kinda vibe
- a coaching job with no expectations but at the same time, a chance to stamp yourself into the game as a coaching all time great if you somehow get them to a flag

Yeah I dunno, it'd be dumb if the roos didn't at least consider it, and it'd be dumb if Simpson didn't give it a bit of a thought. I figure it'd just be how much moving house sucks that keeps him here.
Has a chance to be an all time great here too if he carries us to multiple. North need more than just a head coach swap.

It’d be ignorant for North not to ask the question.. but for the amount of money they’d be paying and the expectation, I’m not sure Simmo would deliver what they want. That’s not a knock on Simmo, wouldn’t rather anyone else coaching our side.. but.. he’s a great coach in our already successful organisation. He fits us perfectly. I’m not sure he’d have the same effect on someone like North, as it’s clear they need more than a new head coach. He’d be unfairly thrown in as the saviour and expected to deliver them a flag within 3 years. Similar mindset to going out and nearly spending 20% of your cap on two one-sided wingers (Gaff and Polec), and hoping they’re the difference between bottom 4 and top 4.

It’d be ignorant for North not to ask the question.. but for the amount of money they’d be paying and the expectation, I’m not sure Simmo would deliver what they want. That’s not a knock on Simmo, wouldn’t rather anyone else coaching our side.. but.. he’s a great coach in our already successful organisation. He fits us perfectly. I’m not sure he’d have the same effect on someone like North, as it’s clear they need more than a new head coach. He’d be unfairly thrown in as the saviour and expected to deliver them a flag within 3 years. Similar mindset to going out and nearly spending 20% of your cap on two one-sided wingers (Gaff and Polec), and hoping they’re the difference between bottom 4 and top 4.
I was going to say "Let's swap him for a couple of their young guns" Then I remembered that they didn't have any.

I don't know how much being a successful coach means to him compared to his old team but...

https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/afl_coaches?status=A&type=&sort=o

Currently win/loss 64.8% better than Clarko 61.9% and anyone else except Chris Scott who inherited a premiership team.
Give it up for the Shinboners and go backwards like Woosha, or Ricciardo.
Could be one of the greats.
Edit: Horse just in front, but only till next week. ;)

Last edited:
Dude, you can't just sell houses...
Yeh, maybe a bit tough in the current market? (but he's got 3+ years to do it)
Just saying, some people have numerous houses. Some people rent them out.
But lots of people sell houses, they're being bought and sold continually.
Anyway it's all dust in the wind at present, JK says Simmo's not going anywhere soon, with his newly built
City Beach Mansion... while the newscaster gossips say he loves it in the west.
Another said why would you want to drive a Datsun when you currently drive a Ferrari?

I don't know how much being a successful coach means to him compared to his old team but...

https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/afl_coaches?status=A&type=&sort=o

Currently win/loss 64.8% better than Clarko 61.9% and anyone else except Chris Scott who inherited a premiership team.
Give it up for the Shinboners and go backwards like Woosha, or Ricciardo.
Could be one of the greats.
Edit: Horse just in front, but only till next week. ;)
Who do you think that Clarkson has the greater love for Hawthorn or his previous clubs Melbourne and North?
Simpson can build a dynasty at the Eagles and he knows it.
His best mates from the Roos are on our coaching panel.
Plus his champion dog loves it here.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back