Draft Watcher Slice of Pie: Draft Board and Profiles

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm interested to see Valentes testing results i thought his speed was fine to above average.
Speed isn't just straight line running, there are others slower than Valente, but plenty quicker because they can change direction while maintaining the same speed. It's not a huge knock, Patrick Cripps was similar in his draft year, he was knocked for his speed, but he had the power/strength to get out of a stoppage. Speed is only a real problem when you're an outside midfielder, like if Izak Rankine was slow, you'd probably have him well down the order, even with his tricks, because his ability to run down and tackle is great.

I imagine Valente to be around that 3.1 mark which is spot on average for the entire draft class, but a touch below ave for mids. 3.0-3.05 is average and anything under 3 is quick. A perfect example of where speed can be negotiated - and I get sick of the reference myself - Pendlebury could never get under 3 seconds no matter how much he tried. But how often can he outsmart a much faster opponent by changing direction, spinning, etc.

It's a discussion for another day, but I'd love to see a test that is somewhere between the speed and agility ones, where you're thrown obstacles that are not predicted beforehand and then scaled based on that. Say pre-program how ever many types of tests possible (100 whatever), have moving objects that put pressure on the runner (say boxing bags) and the runner has to negotiate his way out of traffic. I'm not a developer like that, but it's something I'd love to see because it then looks at those players who aren't quick or agile, but have the smarts and movement to negotiate game situations.

Speed isn't just straight line running, there are others slower than Valente, but plenty quicker because they can change direction while maintaining the same speed.

I just remember watching Hately closely and Valente stood out due to having more speed around the contest. He could be as you said a little like Pendlebury and just smooth around the contest.
Then again, sometimes there are players that are quick but you don't notice their speed as much, I remember Conner Blakely from the Dockers testing 2.93 or so and shocking me a little.

Ben Dodd from the Rebels looking very impressive. Know much about him Bicks ?
Nup, only that he's been good for East Point all through his junior career winning a B & F along the way and that he played Seniors for East Point last week, I'd hazard a guess he's the brother of former Rebel Joe Dodd?

Nup, only that he's been good for East Point all through his junior career winning a B & F along the way and that he played Seniors for East Point last week, I'd hazard a guess he's the brother of former Rebel Joe Dodd?

I’d assume so. Looked good on the inside for patches. He and Isaac Wareham were the pick of the bottom agers today.

I’d assume so. Looked good on the inside for patches. He and Isaac Wareham were the pick of the bottom agers today.
Charlie Wilson another good game by the looks?
Charlie's a bit more than just your usual small forward, a smart and natural footballer with a nice touch of hardness. late/rookie chance?

Charlie Wilson another good game by the looks?
Charlie's a bit more than just your usual small forward, a smart and natural footballer with a nice touch of hardness. late/rookie chance?

Yeah he’s about there. Shame he didn’t even make the VC extended squad, but he and Jed Hill do enough to warrant some interest.

Other than Rankine, this year I have not noticed many solid small forwards.

Are there many viable small forwards, hopefully with some leg speed?
Nothing from WA interests me at the moment, just not sure Vic has any?
zac butters is very very good

Irving Mosquito....

... is gonna end up at Hawthorn, but hey you can always bid. Bedford yep, probably later in the National, Butters yeah although he’s more of a mid/forward, you mean pure forward?

Jai Nanscawen made VC although I’m not a huge fan because of inconsistency. Yeah now I think about it there’s not a heap. Jed Hill and Charlie Wilson probably are in that next group. It’s not a great year for small forwards.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Connor Thar, Western Jets - how do you rate?
Unlucky not to be at least in the VM extended squad. Works his arse off through the midfield and wins a truckload of possessions, can get forward and kick goals. My gut feel is he's Ben Cavarra Mk II. Works his butt off, but doesn't particularly hurt you with his disposal despite plenty of clearances and can kick goals. At 174cm, too small to be inside at AFL level, and not classy enough to be outside. At best he could be a pure small forward, but it isn't where he is suited.

The other name that I might raise but you'd have to do your due dilligence, is Tyrone Hayes. Was a member of the AFL Academy, missed his top-age year and he is back and had his best game of the year on the weekend. Can play, mid, forward or back and has a good goal sense. Chances are the ship has sailed, but if he ticks the boxes, he's another small with speed who has serious X-factor and was highly rated as a 16 year-old. Had 28 touches against the Pioneers playing through the midfield.

The other name that I might raise but you'd have to do your due dilligence, is Tyrone Hayes. Was a member of the AFL Academy, missed his top-age year and he is back and had his best game of the year on the weekend. Can play, mid, forward or back and has a good goal sense. Chances are the ship has sailed, but if he ticks the boxes, he's another small with speed who has serious X-factor and was highly rated as a 16 year-old. Had 28 touches against the Pioneers playing through the midfield.
Very disappointed when I heard prior to last season he'd gone off the rails, showed some serious serious talent the couple of times I saw him in his under age year.....wasn't he also in the Hawks Academy or have I got him mixed up with someone else?

Very disappointed when I heard prior to last season he'd gone off the rails, showed some serious serious talent the couple of times I saw him in his under age year.....wasn't he also in the Hawks Academy or have I got him mixed up with someone else?

He was, yes. Probably still eligible too. But I get the feeling he will more than likely be open market given the Hawks were burnt with Garlett. Might take a rookie punt but reckon a bid late in the National would be enough to secure him. Feel sorry for him but like I said think he will have to go above and beyond anyone else to convince clubs. He’s good enough, so hopefully he can.

I was at Shepley on the weekend, and it was very hard to judge talent because Bailey Schmidt and Stephen Cumming looked dominant but they were playing against undersized defenders. Charlie Wilson looked the most draftable out there to be honest, and he didn't even make the Vic Country squad (#robbed). I really liked what I saw from Jed Hill playing three quarters on the inside, his kicking is still hit or miss, but he gave it a crack and didn't take a backwards step so I was happy.

Outside of them it was a whole lot of meh.

Surely Greig won't play his best midfielder/forward down back if he's still serious about winning games?
Since when has the TAC Cup being about winning games? Yes, it's a bonus, but if an AFL recruiter says we want to see a player play in X position. They play in that position. Recruiters dictate team selection/team roles to a large extent because at the end of the day, the players futures rest in their hands. They have to be comfortable picking them to play a role. The wildcard round has also taken away any notion of making/missing finals for competitive people - you can win a flag from last technically. It's all about the development.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back