Smith exits via Free Agency

Remove this Banner Ad

So u must have been torn last weekend.

Was a tough one mate didn't like either choice that I had, would have preferred Geelong for the simple fact I don't want the Tigers emulating our 3 peat which I now believe they have a very good chance to do heading into 2021 as a clear fav.

Was a tough one mate didn't like either choice that I had, would have preferred Geelong for the simple fact I don't want the Tigers emulating our 3 peat which I now believe they have a very good chance to do heading into 2021 as a clear fav.
So just why do you think the Handbaggers continue to be a top 4 side (something you like to point out regularly) but have * all to show for it?

You get all giddy with excitement when you talk about Clarko nearing his used by date, but say nothing about a bloke that has failed miserably when it counts.

Why is that?

So just why do you think the Handbaggers continue to be a top 4 side (something you like to point out regularly) but have fu** all to show for it?

You get all giddy with excitement when you talk about Clarko nearing his used by date, but say nothing about a bloke that has failed miserably when it counts.

Why is that?

Probably because ultimately I don't think Geelong have had as good a list as a few other sides since 2011, they've done well to remain in and around the mark but I wouldn't say you can pin all the failures on Chris Scott when I think a few other sides have just been stronger.

As for Clarko I'd rather him make me look like a fool and get us back contending for Premierships again, but it's just a worrying trajectory that we are on that's all. 5 years without a finals win and we look a long way off a return to September at this point time.

Fingers crossed I can look back on some of my posts in 24 months with glee about being proven wrong and the landscape looks vastly different for us to what it is now.

Probably because ultimately I don't think Geelong have had as good a list as a few other sides since 2011, they've done well to remain in and around the mark but I wouldn't say you can pin all the failures on Chris Scott when I think a few other sides have just been stronger.

As for Clarko I'd rather him make me look like a fool and get us back contending for Premierships again, but it's just a worrying trajectory that we are on that's all. 5 years without a finals win and we look a long way off a return to September at this point time.

Fingers crossed I can look back on some of my posts in 24 months with glee about being proven wrong and the landscape looks vastly different for us to what it is now.
You don’t think it’s Scotts fault?

Go have a read on the Handbagger board and the C.Scott coaching thread mark 5 and see what they say about it.

I am convinced he is trolling them from within.

I don’t have a problem with you being a Handbagger or a Tigger fan just give the doom and gloom about us a rest,it’s become predictable and boring.

I am not the only one who thinks this way about you

We all know where we sit ATM.

Brisbane or Port need to step up to the plate in a big way

You don’t think it’s Scotts fault?

Go have a read on the Handbagger board and the C.Scott coaching thread mark 5 and see what they say about it.

I am convinced he is trolling them from within.

Based on list talent and results obtained nah I don't, he isn't a world beater but he isn't a bad coach either.

In response to your previous post that you must have taken away, I've followed the Hawks since 92 as a 5 year old and missed only a handful of games in Victoria between 2006 and now. Travel interstate 2-3 times a season also to watch us play. I'm well aware of how successful we have been over a long period of time, but as Carlton and Essendon are now finding out, past success don't mean anything in regards to the future if you keep making poor choices.

All in all I just hope we aren't that club in 2035 still talking about our 3 peat because we've rested on our laurels for 20 years and done nothing. Fingers crossed.

4. we aren’t a destination club at present. Maybe Clarko’s reputed hardness and clinical assessment of players (exiting all those multiple premiership players before they wanted to) has given him a reputation as a bit “old school” and one who won’t dust a players nuts to make them feel better about themselves. If so, and we want to attract more players, a change in coach sooner rather than later is warranted.
Some Hawks fans are blinded by the three-peat and a sense of guilt over the club's run of success in "recent" years. Winning three flags in a row doesn't mean you're immune from criticism, and being a critical fan doesn't automatically make you a Geelong sleeper agent.

We haven't won a final since 2015. That's not five years ago anymore. That may as well be 20.

I bet my right nut that Jason Dunstall is seething right now, and rightly so: in terms of list management and staying in contention, we've been pantsed by Geelong, our great foe, and to add insult to injury, we've just lost one of our premiership heroes to the Cats!

Something has gone wrong somewhere. Could be complacency, could be hubris. Could be both. And I don't think it's a coincidence that we've seen a big drop-off since Chris Fagan left, either.

Winning three flags in a row should have meant there was a conga line of great players wanting to wear the brown and gold, which would have ensured that we had been able to defy AFL gravity and stayed in contention, as Geelong have been able to do. It makes sense that Sydney isn't a destination club -- they haven't been nearly as successful as us, and it would also make sense if Geelong, the perennial chokers, weren’t, but they are; they’ve been able to pull off one of the great list management heists of all time and have become what our stupendous success from 2013-2015 should have guaranteed.

Last edited:
Some Hawks fans are blinded by the three-peat and a sense of guilt over the club's run of success in "recent" years. Winning three flags in a row doesn't mean you're immune from criticism, and being a critical fan doesn't automatically make you a Geelong sleeper agent.

We haven't won a final since 2015. That's not five years ago anymore. That may as well be 20.

I bet my right nut that Jason Dunstall is seething right now, and rightly so: in terms of list management and staying in contention, we've been pantsed by Geelong, our great foe, and to add insult to injury, we've just lost one of our premiership heroes to the Cats!

Something has gone wrong somewhere. Could be complacency, could be hubris. Could be both. And I don't think it's a coincidence that we've seen a big drop-off since Chris Fagan left, either.

Winning three flags in a row should have meant there was a conga line of great players wanting to wear the brown and gold, which would have ensured that we had been able to defy AFL gravity and stayed in contention, as Geelong have been able to do. It makes sense that Sydney isn't a destination club -- they haven't been nearly as successful as us, and it would also make sense if Geelong, the perennial chokers, weren’t, but they are; they’ve been able to pull off one of the great list management heists of all time and have become what our stupendous success from 2013-2015 should have guaranteed.
....without winning a flag.
No point being envious of a team that constantly contend without pulling it off.
The Magpie teams of the late 70s did something similar.
Geelong teams of the late 80s early 90s did the same.
We just have to bide our time, make smart choices.

You know, if you really wanted to trick people into thinking you're a hawks supporter, you may want to lose the photo of someone in a geelong top.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Who are the 32 year olds?

Smith will be 32 at the end of this year, but Cameron is only 27

Shaun Higgins. 33 in March actually.

Lake Gunston hale Gibson Burgoyne . Champions who came to us. As you say it goes both ways. I don’t think we had too many three club players come or go
Not the same your missing the point. Are the bulldogs, port, Adelaide and nth our biggest rivals?NO.If your a nth Melbourne premiership player and you have options you don’t go to Essendon. If your and crows premiership player and you have options you don’t go to port or vice versa. It’s not rocket science.

But there wasn't fifteen other clubs to go to. He has a choice between three.

You're having a laugh if you believe that the club wouldn't mean more to him than it does to you, given all that he's accomplished in our colours.
They are the clubs that reached out to him but if he went to others and said I want to play at your club they would have signed him. Also clearly it doesn’t mean as much because, in his position there ain’t a chance in hell I be leaving hawthorn to go to Geelong so yes it means more to me then clearly.

Why is that Smith's concern? Would you expect him to be upset at you for changing campanies? Footy is a job to them, nothing more. I feel like fans have a hard time separating their views on clubs from how players see them.
Good than he shouldn’t have any problem with my opinion. Don’t sit there and say he can do whatever he wants and it’s a job then say I can’t have a justified opinion.If players are more than happy to take the plaudits They take the criticisms to IT’S PART OF THIER JOB.

At what point in singing the Geelong club song do you all think Isaac is going to butcher it?

Why is that Smith's concern? Would you expect him to be upset at you for changing campanies? Footy is a job to them, nothing more. I feel like fans have a hard time separating their views on clubs from how players see them.
No I wouldn’t expect him to be upset because I’m pretty sure he isn’t a paying member and supporter of my place of work. I work in the building industry terrible analogy.

They are the clubs that reached out to him but if he went to others and said I want to play at your club they would have signed him. Also clearly it doesn’t mean as much because, in his position there ain’t a chance in hell I be leaving hawthorn to go to Geelong so yes it means more to me then clearly.

Sure mate, you're the hero we deserve.

If I had a choice between playing for Geelong or jumping out of a plane without a parachute

You bet your last dollar that I'd be jumping out of that plane!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I think if actually given that choice you'd pull on the hoops like everyone else would.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back