VIC C - SA
Mar 26, 2017
Inner Sanctum
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
GBay-WSox-Bulls-Blackhawks-LSU-UNC
VIC C - SA
Many did 'what was expected of them' today and were very good for their respective teams, so im not naming any of them*, BUT, i will name those who impressed me by showing more than what i expected.
FOR S.A - Barnett showed a bit with his marking and around the ground contests and was impressive, and so did Keeler, mainly with his work rate and presenting, Jakob Ryan also provided a bit and showed dash which he is known for but i had not seen for awhile.
FOR VIC C - Schuback getting to contests and then spreading out hard was impressive and he took a lot of marks showing his spread and leading to the space and also Coby Burgiel, i have seen him before but he showed a bit more today which was impressive at this level.
What i did not like was the overall game seeming rushed by most players, not a lot of composure by most of them and the skills were not good, however the weather prior to kick off may have had a say in that. A few of the rucks were afraid of body contact also, which is no good and they will need to work on that however some showed impressive tap craft.
*Clark, D'Alioa, Szybkowski, Phillipou ;)

Sep 9, 2008
adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I'm sure youd agree we have kpd covered at least until mcgovern retires and then if HEdwards develops beyond that. Itd be damn nice to get the best kpd in the draft to shore up the backline but our midfield is paper thin so make 0 sense to draft a kpd.
Even if a kpd is the best available i just dont think we have the luxury of taking him

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk
Agree your midfield is paper thin

Disagree you have key defender covered, I think it’s an obvious weakness, but you’re already losing games anyway so it’s not the difference between winning and losing

But you have 2 early second rounders in this draft and there’s a good chance you will have the chance to pick up mids / running players there.

I think going elite key defender than mids with second rounders could work out very well.

Having said that getting an elite mid then trying for key defenders could so work out, tho i think key defenders is looking shallower and shallower the more I watch this draft.

Think there’s an argument for either way and it all comes down to whether you club would pick the boom or busts at those 2nd rounders

Mar 26, 2017
Inner Sanctum
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Agree your midfield is paper thin

Disagree you have key defender covered, I think it’s an obvious weakness, but you’re already losing games anyway so it’s not the difference between winning and losing

But you have 2 early second rounders in this draft and there’s a good chance you will have the chance to pick up mids / running players there.

I think going elite key defender than mids with second rounders could work out very well.

Having said that getting an elite mid then trying for key defenders could so work out, tho i think key defenders is looking shallower and shallower the more I watch this draft.

Think there’s an argument for either way and it all comes down to whether you club would pick the boom or busts at those 2nd rounders
Plus there are some gettable mids to work with come trade time.
ie - Ryan Clarke (SYD) may only cost you a 2023 3rd rounder and is dominating VFL this year and did last year too. Could very well come in and have the impact of a Will Brodie at Freo.

Aug 9, 2019
Victorian Central Highlands
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Panthers, GWV Rebels, Central Augusta
Plus there are some gettable mids to work with come trade time.
ie - Ryan Clarke (SYD) may only cost you a 2023 3rd rounder and is dominating VFL this year and did last year too. Could very well come in and have the impact of a Will Brodie at Freo.
Has Clarke's kicking efficiency improved markedly in those 2 year's? My recollection is he never had any problem finding the pill but was a real ball burner?

Mar 26, 2017
Inner Sanctum
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Has Clarke's kicking efficiency improved markedly in those 2 year's? My recollection is he never had any problem finding the pill but was a real ball burner?
not awesome, but using hands more and releasing other mids to deliver, some teams could use 1 of those players, and almost every team has one. They just need to work to their strengths.

Feb 12, 2008
AFL Club
West Coast
a real ball burner
sofakingdoge.gif

That lad has some serious issues then. No more than a token pick/trade. ;)

Last edited:
PHANTOM DRAFT UPDATE
Mar 26, 2017
Inner Sanctum
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
PHANTOM DRAFT UPDATE - ladder as at round 14

1 - BRIS - Will Ashcroft - bid matched
2 - Nth - Harry Sheezel
3 - Wce - George Wardlaw
4 - Ess - Elijah Tsatas
5 - Haw - Elijah Hewett
6 - Gws - Isaac Keeler
7 - Adel - Mattaes Phillipou
8 - Port - Jedd Busslinger
9 - Gc - Matthew Jefferson
10 - Stk - Cam McKenzie
11 - Rich - Jhye Clark
12 - Wb - Aaron Cadman
13 - Coll - Harry Lemmey
14 - Syd - Brayden George
15 - Carl - Oliver Hollands
16 - Freo - Tom Scully
17 - Geel - Adam D'Alioa
18 - Syd - Harry Barnett

Mar 26, 2017
Inner Sanctum
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams

2 - Nth - Harry Sheezel
3 - Wce - George Wardlaw
4 - Ess - Elijah Tsatas
5 - Haw - Elijah Hewett
6 - Gws - Isaac Keeler
10 - Stk - Cam McKenzie
11 - Rich - Jhye Clark
12 - Wb - Aaron Cadman
13 - Coll - Harry Lemmey
16 - Freo - Tom Scully
17 - Geel - Adam D'Alioa
18 - Syd - Harry Barnett
aaaaand Jefferson has gone and kicked 7. very underrated by some still

dkalphy

All Australian
Sep 17, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast

2 - Nth - Harry Sheezel
3 - Wce - George Wardlaw
4 - Ess - Elijah Tsatas
5 - Haw - Elijah Hewett
6 - Gws - Isaac Keeler
10 - Stk - Cam McKenzie
11 - Rich - Jhye Clark
12 - Wb - Aaron Cadman
13 - Coll - Harry Lemmey
16 - Freo - Tom Scully
17 - Geel - Adam D'Alioa
18 - Syd - Harry Barnett
Hey mate the players you listed from 2-7, do they have genuine A grade potential? Would they stack up well in previous drafts?

pushintheback

All Australian
May 31, 2010
AFL Club
Adelaide
Apologies I only have VM stats. WA to come soon.
Mackenzie - 28,
Ashcroft - 25,
Philactides - 20
Weddle - 20
Verrell - 19
Hayes - 19
Davey - 19,
Drury - 17
Hotton - 17,
Hempel - 14
Sheezel - 14,
Clarke - 13,
Anderson - 13
Windsor - 11
Edmends - 11
Jefferson - 10, 7 goals
Kizan - 8
Caddy - 8
Pavlidis - 8
O’Keefe - 8
Grant - 7
Petric - 6
Rowe - 5

Mar 26, 2017
Inner Sanctum
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Hey mate the players you listed from 2-7, do they have genuine A grade potential? Would they stack up well in previous drafts?
Wardlaw - A grade material
Sheezel - has x factor and oozes star in the making
Tsatas - has the game to become a very good in/out mid
Hewett - leadership and quality of disposal, mid fwd
Busslinger - IMO better than DGB
Phillipou - definitely has the game to build on a be a star mid
Keeler - i have not been high on because he has athleticism in spades, with skills to match but for me he has always come across as lazy and nonplussed about footy, however, he has got better and better this year and there is no denying he is the leading KPF candidate.

How do they stack up against previous years, in my opinion, 2018 will be one talked about in line with the superdraft of 2001, so it does not compare to that, and this year, even though they have not played as much footy (the vics anyway) beats 2019 and 2020. Compared to last year, Tsatas and Phillipou are a little bit behind my thoughts on Callaghan (at the same time before the draft), Sheezel and Rachele are very comparable, Wardlaw is better than Ward IMO, Ashcroft in my eyes is better than Daicos although its very bloody close and they play different roles, Hewett is a lesser version of Horne Francis, i think Keeler has a better game than Darcy and Busslinger and Mac Andrew are two very different players. So last year was probably slightly better, having said that, there will be many more gems found throughout the draft this year compared to other years due to some players not being able to showcase as much.

burner1

Premiership Player
Nov 3, 2005
victoria
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
hawks
Given where talls like thilthorp and Darcy were picked in recent drafts is there a chance Keeler (or other talls) go a lot higher? Putting Ashcroft aside doesn’t seem the mids are any better then most years.

Mar 26, 2017
Inner Sanctum
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Are you
Given where talls like thilthorp and Darcy were picked in recent drafts is there a chance Keeler (or other talls) go a lot higher? Putting Ashcroft aside doesn’t seem the mids are any better then most years.
Are you asking about their ceiling?? or where they will get picked in the draft, as Thilthorpe and Darcy were pick 2 i cannot see a tall being picked that high unless north take one, and then we are talking about a possible pick 1 or a bid for Ashcroft then a tall at pick 2?

I don't think many of the talls have pushed a case to go that high in the draft this year.
Top ten chances for mine are Busslinger, Keeler, Jefferson, and possibly Cadman and Lemmey.

Whilst i don't have Broadbent in my phantom first round his range would be from around 10-25 it is depending on if a team wants to grab a ruckman that early or not and that is always an unknown really, but he (talent and scope wise) would be a good investment.
As i said in a previous post, there will be gems found throughout this draft who haven't had as much of a chance to shine but have many draft-able traits and who could go on to be steals at latter picks.

2020 had Will Phillips, Archie Perkins, Luke Pedlar and Elijah Hollands, i can honestly say this years mids, mid/fwds taken in the top ten are better than those. I think they will be very comparable to last years, 2019 had Rowell, Anderson , Serong and Tom Green, who have shown up to be very good, i honestly think this years group would be very very comparable to that as well.

So all in all it depends on what type of mid is taken really to get any perspective BUT also the environment they are drafted into.
Lets take Wardlaw for example, he could get drafted to WCE, who have no real mids except for Kelly, Shuey and West. Shuey wont be around for long and is injured a bit so he (Wardlaw) will have no real protection and be thrown into the deep end in a bottom side and his game may suffer short term because of it.

On the flip side, lets say HYPOTHETICALLY, Melbourne trade Jackson to WCE for pick 2 and other stuff, then Melb take Wardlaw. He will be in an environment with a very much established and deep mid group where he can get some protection and learn from the best and his game may come on in spades and he may flourish....OR, Melb may say to him, we have our mids, we want you to learn to be more of a ball winning outside mid/fwd, go and learn the ropes at Casey and we will track your progress. Now he may go well, or, knowing Wardlaws game is inside mid, his game may suffer.

Each year kids are picked by list managers with an idea of where they will play them, and it might not be the position they currently play. BUT each year kids who throw their names up in lights get picked to play the role they shine at.
This year several are throwing their name up in lights and Wardlaw (inside mid), Ashcroft (balanced mid), Sheezel (mid/fwd), Tsatas (outside runner/inside mid), Phillipou (mid/fwd), Hewett (mid fwd), McKenzie (mid) and Clark (inside mid bull) are all doing that.

So i will go out on a limb and say this year will produce some real stars from the top 10 picks.

Top 40 Update
Mar 26, 2017
Inner Sanctum
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Been awol from the site for awhile, sorry.
Twomey beat me to it today but here is my current top 40.
Positional ratings will be uploaded tomorrow.
  1. W.Ashcroft
  2. H.Sheezel
  3. G.Wardlaw
  4. E.Tsatas
  5. J.Clark
  6. J.Busslinger
  7. C.McKenzie
  8. M.Phillipou
  9. M.Jefferson
  10. A.Cadman
  11. E.Hollands
  12. O.Hotton
  13. E.Hewett
  14. B.George
  15. B.Humphrey
  16. J.Fletcher
  17. M.Szybkowski
  18. R.Ginbey
  19. H.Barnett
  20. A.D’Aloia
  21. H.Hustwaite
  22. M.Michalanney
  23. J.Weddle
  24. A.Davey JNR
  25. L.Teal
  26. J.Ryan
  27. L.Hayes
  28. C.Burgiel
  29. I.Keeler
  30. J.Broadbent
  31. J.Konstanty
  32. B.Drury
  33. J.Schuback
  34. W.Verrall
  35. T.McCallum
  36. T.Scully
  37. K.Bevan
  38. L.Cowan
  39. S.Gilbey
  40. T.McMullin

Last edited:
POST REGULAR SEASON RMD
Mar 26, 2017
Inner Sanctum
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
POST - REGULAR SEASON ROLLING MOCK DRAFT AS THE LADDER STANDS CURRENTLY

1 - Bris - Ashcroft - Bid Matched
2 - Nth - Sheezel
3 - Wce - Wardlaw
4 - Gws - Tsatas
5 - Ess - Phillipou
6 - Adel - McKenzie
7 - Haw - Humphrey
8 - Gc - Busslinger
9 - Port - Cadman
10 - Stk - Clark
11 - Carl - Hotton
12 - Wb - George
13 - Rich - Hollands
14 - Freo - Hewett
15 - Coll - Jefferson
16 - Syd - Konstanty
17 - Syd - Hayes
18 - Geel - Mitchell
19 - Rich - Szybkowski
20 - Wce - Ginbey
21 - Gws - Keeler
22 - ESS - Clarke
22 - Adel - D'Aloia
23 - Adel - Michalanney - Bid Matched
24 - Haw - Hustwaite
25 - Gc - J.Ryan
26 - Wce - Dowling
27 - Ess - Davey Jnr - Bid Matched
28 - Stk - Drury
29 - Carl - Burgiel
30 - Wb - Barnett
31 - Bris - Fletcher - Bid Matched
32 - Rich - Weddle
33 - Gc - McCallum
34 - Gc - Cowan
35 - Syd - Teal
36 - Mel - D.Jones
37 - Geel - O'Sullivan

Last edited:

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
NUFC, Philadelphia 76'ers

2 - Nth - Sheezel
3 - Wce - Wardlaw
4 - Gws - Tsatas
5 - Ess - Phillipou
6 - Adel - McKenzie
7 - Haw - Humphrey
8 - Gc - Busslinger
9 - Port - Cadman
10 - Stk - Clark
11 - Carl - Hotton
12 - Wb - George
13 - Rich - Hollands
14 - Coll - Jefferson
15 - Syd - Konstanty
16 - Syd - Hayes
17 - Geel - Hewett
18 - Rich - Szybkowski
19 - Wce - Ginbey
20 - Gws - Lemmey
21 - Adel - D'Aloia
22 - Adel - Michalanney - Bid Matched
23 - Haw - Hustwaite
24 - Gc - J.Ryan
25 - Wce - Dowling
26 - Ess - Davey Jnr - Bid Matched
27 - Stk - Drury
28 - Carl - Burgiel
29 - Wb - Barnett
30 - Bris - Fletcher - Bid Matched
31 - Rich - Weddle
32 - Gc - McCallum
33 - Gc - Cowan
34 - Syd - Teal
35 - Mel - D.Jones
36 - Geel - O'Sullivan
You only have 17 picks in your first round and are missing Fremantle's first round pick.

WCEswift

Premiership Player
Apr 3, 2010
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Philly Eagles, Boston Red Sox

2 - Nth - Sheezel
3 - Wce - Wardlaw
4 - Gws - Tsatas
5 - Ess - Phillipou
6 - Adel - McKenzie
7 - Haw - Humphrey
8 - Gc - Busslinger
9 - Port - Cadman
10 - Stk - Clark
11 - Carl - Hotton
12 - Wb - George
13 - Rich - Hollands
14 - Coll - Jefferson
15 - Syd - Konstanty
16 - Syd - Hayes
17 - Geel - Hewett
18 - Rich - Szybkowski
19 - Wce - Ginbey
20 - Gws - Lemmey
21 - Adel - D'Aloia
22 - Adel - Michalanney - Bid Matched
23 - Haw - Hustwaite
24 - Gc - J.Ryan
25 - Wce - Dowling
26 - Ess - Davey Jnr - Bid Matched
27 - Stk - Drury
28 - Carl - Burgiel
29 - Wb - Barnett
30 - Bris - Fletcher - Bid Matched
31 - Rich - Weddle
32 - Gc - McCallum
33 - Gc - Cowan
34 - Syd - Teal
35 - Mel - D.Jones
36 - Geel - O'Sullivan
This would be my perfect WCE draft along with grabbing broadbent at 38. I rate dowling highly why is he so seemingly unseen?

Mar 26, 2017
Inner Sanctum
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
This would be my perfect WCE draft along with grabbing broadbent at 38. I rate dowling highly why is he so seemingly unseen?
I rate him too, possibly just not watched as closely as other big names that people have been watching for a few years. He is rated by many others as well so he is not as unseen as you might think though.

Thetrader15

Cancelled
10k Posts
Oct 16, 2015
AFL Club
Adelaide

2 - Nth - Sheezel
3 - Wce - Wardlaw
4 - Gws - Tsatas
5 - Ess - Phillipou
6 - Adel - McKenzie
7 - Haw - Humphrey
8 - Gc - Busslinger
9 - Port - Cadman
10 - Stk - Clark
11 - Carl - Hotton
12 - Wb - George
13 - Rich - Hollands
14 - Freo - Hewett
15 - Coll - Jefferson
16 - Syd - Konstanty
17 - Syd - Hayes
18 - Geel - Mitchell
19 - Rich - Szybkowski
20 - Wce - Ginbey
21 - Gws - Lemmey
22 - Adel - D'Aloia
23 - Adel - Michalanney - Bid Matched
24 - Haw - Hustwaite
25 - Gc - J.Ryan
26 - Wce - Dowling
27 - Ess - Davey Jnr - Bid Matched
28 - Stk - Drury
29 - Carl - Burgiel
30 - Wb - Barnett
31 - Bris - Fletcher - Bid Matched
32 - Rich - Weddle
33 - Gc - McCallum
34 - Gc - Cowan
35 - Syd - Teal
36 - Mel - D.Jones
37 - Geel - O'Sullivan
No Keeler in there? Where are you seeing him bid on?

Mar 26, 2017
Inner Sanctum
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
No Keeler in there? Where are you seeing him bid on?
I replied to Briztoon earlier that I get rushed and don’t check things greatly due to this time of year, you are correct in that he is not there however it IS a typo, he is at gws 2nd pick, I typed in the wrong name, thank you for that pick up.
To be honest he is on my board to be picked anywhere depending on the teams direction between around 10-25 mark.

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
NUFC, Philadelphia 76'ers
I replied to Briztoon earlier that I get rushed and don’t check things greatly due to this time of year, you are correct in that he is not there however it IS a typo, he is at gws 2nd pick, I typed in the wrong name, thank you for that pick up.
To be honest he is on my board to be picked anywhere depending on the teams direction between around 10-25 mark.
I've said on our board that I hope we're offering our future first round pick to get back in to this years draft, to get Keeler.

Mar 26, 2017
Inner Sanctum
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
I've said on our board that I hope we're offering our future first round pick to get back in to this years draft, to get Keeler.
Keeler is a funny one for mine, I always saw him as lazy and uninterested but super athletic, agile and skillfull. I saw him as a possible wasted talent however this year he has stepped up to the level of potential he has but I still see him holding back on occasions that has me scratching my head, like he is not interested or not concentrating. You have to pick on talent and potential and hope a full time environment helps the kids and in that case he should go anywhere in between that 10-20 mark. In terms of forwards this year he is behind Cadman and Jefferson in my eyes And they should be top 10, and with about 6/7 others definitely being top 10 talents, that has Keeler sitting in that next bracket. We always see something surprising though.

Tomnat Tigers

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 8, 2009
Victoria
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Arsenal
Keeler is a funny one for mine, I always saw him as lazy and uninterested but super athletic, agile and skillfull. I saw him as a possible wasted talent however this year he has stepped up to the level of potential he has but I still see him holding back on occasions that has me scratching my head, like he is not interested or not concentrating. You have to pick on talent and potential and hope a full time environment helps the kids and in that case he should go anywhere in between that 10-20 mark. In terms of forwards this year he is behind Cadman and Jefferson in my eyes And they should be top 10, and with about 6/7 others definitely being top 10 talents, that has Keeler sitting in that next bracket. We always see something surprising though.

Haven't watched him in person and only off highlights but he looks incredibly unfit. Assuming that is the case which combine testing will somewhat prove could that be area of his game that his holding him back more so then the mental of side of going each and every time?

Back