Phantom Draft Snoop Dog 2017 Phantom Draft (incl Rookie)

Remove this Banner Ad

Ok my mail today is that I think the following will happen;

1 - Rayner
2 - LDU
3 - Dow
4 - Brayshaw
5 - onwards not sure but Freo likely take Cerra

Also seems likely that Fogarty and Stephenson will slide.

How far a slide you thinking? Do you still see Higgins or another highly rated mid sliding to 17?

How far a slide you thinking? Do you still see Higgins or another highly rated mid sliding to 17?

yeah I do - i have heard from a couple the issue they wonder about is upside and what actual role will he play. The mail with GWS is they have a few they rate high and if they aren't there they will go for a quick small who can play fwd and apply pressure. Not sure they see Higgins as that player.

I am pretty sure Darcy Fogarty will get to Crows.

yeah I do - i have heard from a couple the issue they wonder about is upside and what actual role will he play. The mail with GWS is they have a few they rate high and if they aren't there they will go for a quick small who can play fwd and apply pressure. Not sure they see Higgins as that player.

I listened to Higgins on the Boardroom podcast and I have to say I wasn't impressed. He sounded quite immature when responding to criticism and when asked about what he wants to study to prepare for life after football. He spoke as if he hadn't given much thought to it, eventually he said "recruiting, footy admin. I just want to be around footy"

He's in for a rude shock when he actually gets to his club. Most clubs, I know Richmond at least, expect their players to study something outside of football to ready them for post AFL life. That type of answer just doesn't cut it. I'm surprised that no one has made him aware of that.

Quitting school to focus on being drafted, I worry that he may struggle with the workload and expectations of AFL..

1 - Rayner
2 - LDU
3 - Dow
4 - Brayshaw

Nice work snoop a-loop

What’s your take on Coffield? I notice you have him going to the Pies, is that mail or just gut feel? I suspect St Kilda will take him at 7/8 if he’s there.

Cheers

Been saying that all year.

1 - Rayner
2 - LDU
3 - Dow
4 - Brayshaw

Would take either of Fogarty or Stephenson at 10 for sure

Agree the Eagles need midfielders, but the more I think about the more I think Allen is just too good to be overlooked for them. Performed tremendously well all year, plenty of scope for physical development even if already a very impressive physique, absolutely top notch young man and just looks and acts a future captain in everything he does whether on or off field.

From what I've seen, M Allen is a long way from even WAFL competency, I liked Waterman's game as a junior but still long way to go in terms of delivering in senior football as well as being hit hard by injury this year and Darling is a good footballer sufficient to partner Kennedy for a few years yet, but I just get the feel you don't get the chance to bring the combination of player and person of Allen into your club all that often.

Fair enough, I actually agree with your analysis of our players, it is just we already have a few players of a similar type and build.

I guess part of at least my concern is that Allen is another one of these low 190cm forwards who has dominated/been very good at junior level, because they are more physically filled out and athletically gifted than there counter parts but due to the greater athleticism of AFL defenders get found out somewhat at the top level. This is not to say that they can't be good/useful AFL players (see Darling and Lynch (Adelaide)), but they never seem to be dominant now days, where it does appear you need to have additional height to have an impact such as Daniher, J Reiwoldt or Kennedy. I guess what I'm getting at that the additional 2-4cm actually starts becoming important when you are coming up against equally athletic and tall defenders.

Nice work snoop a-loop

What’s your take on Coffield? I notice you have him going to the Pies, is that mail or just gut feel? I suspect St Kilda will take him at 7/8 if he’s there.

Cheers

No thats gut feel / want. I think Saints will get him as well.

Thanks Snoop.

Have you heard anything re Brander? Are gws keen on him or definitely going in another direction at 11?

Thanks Snoop.

Have you heard anything re Brander? Are gws keen on him or definitely going in another direction at 11?

I think they are going a different way. Adrian is big on picking on talent with that first one so I think its probably open albeit have said numerous times want a small. If thats case then I would think Lach Fogarty is the one. Jack a big chance obviously. They will use the two twenty selections more needs based stuff.

I think they are going a different way. Adrian is big on picking on talent with that first one so I think its probably open albeit have said numerous times want a small. If thats case then I would think Lach Fogarty is the one. Jack a big chance obviously. They will use the two twenty selections more needs based stuff.

Thats interesting i do wonder how far brander might fall (to Geelong would be nice but unlikely). Fogarty wouldn't be a bad pick and i assume they will consider Higgins. 27 and 28 for needs makes sense if one of the picks doesn't go on Shipley. I wonder if they will take a ruck of some sort.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thats interesting i do wonder how far brander might fall (to Geelong would be nice but unlikely). Fogarty wouldn't be a bad pick and i assume they will consider Higgins. 27 and 28 for needs makes sense if one of the picks doesn't go on Shipley. I wonder if they will take a ruck of some sort.

I reckon a bit of their recruiting (and when they take types) comes down to the view they have on Gardner and House (?) and probably also where does Stanley play his best footy.

Yeah that is fair and I probably struggled with going tall defender but with McGovern and Barass there and having taken Rotham as well last year I thought they may hold off. Also with Yeo as well (I know he can play mid) I thought with the modern defense they are set with 3-4 elite players for a while.

JK is turning 30, I think there are questions around Darling and frankly dont see much else in the cupboard for them forward. For mine with the picks they have they should use that first one to get the best key forward in the draft. Quality key forwards are very rare outside of the top 15-20 so I would take him there and fix the mids later.

Monocle interested in your view.
Waterman and M Allen already at the club, both tall forwards as far as I know. For mine they should go with the best inside midfielder available with their first pick.

I listened to Higgins on the Boardroom podcast and I have to say I wasn't impressed. He sounded quite immature when responding to criticism and when asked about what he wants to study to prepare for life after football. He spoke as if he hadn't given much thought to it, eventually he said "recruiting, footy admin. I just want to be around footy"

He's in for a rude shock when he actually gets to his club. Most clubs, I know Richmond at least, expect their players to study something outside of football to ready them for post AFL life. That type of answer just doesn't cut it. I'm surprised that no one has made him aware of that.

Quitting school to focus on being drafted, I worry that he may struggle with the workload and expectations of AFL..

I take it all back!:oops:

Last edited:
ROOKIE DRAFT

# 1 Brisbane

CLAY BEAMS – REDRAFTED

Not really a big fan of clubs redrafting players (except when contracted) and not 100% sure of what Claye position is but I reckon they would be better off with some of the blokes who are performing to a high standard in the state leagues. A Pat Wilson I think would be a great choice for them and their kids

# 2 Gold Coast

SAM DAVIDSON – ACADEMY SELECTION / Midfielder / 181cm

Seen a bit of Sam and whilst a fair bit to work on he has electric speed and did some things through the Champs that just made you go ‘wow’. He reminds of Williams from last year who ended up at North. Was nowhere near it other than had that great speed attribute but got into a club programme and thrived.

# 3 Carlton

JOEL AMARTEY – SANDRINGHAM / TALL UTILITY / 196cm

Basketball background and had a wonderful 2nd half of the year. Certainly put his name in contention for a spot late in the draft. Clubs will be drawn to his athletic ability. Obviously very tall but has a great leap on him, got some speed and terrific agility. He is a good ball user and a can take a really good grab. Not sure what his best spot will be. Seen him mostly as a ruck / forward but also seen him play back and actually thought he looked at home. Saw a number of his games leading in and during finals and a really eye catching player. Intrigued to see where he lands.

# 4 North Melbourne

ALEX FREDERICO - NORTHERN KNIGHTS / MIDFIELDER / 184cm

Started more as a back but moved to Inside midfielder this year and is a competitive bugger and think he might have got himself into a draftable position with his second half of the year where he finished amongst their very best in the last 6 games. Clubs want blokes who compete and can win footy and Alex demonstrated that in the 2nd half of the year. His go is to win the footy and then use his vision to release his teammates into an attacking position. He is a good mark, has good endurance and his ball use by foot is certainly AFL standard but its hand’s that are the real weapon.

# 5 Fremantle

BAILEY BANFIELD – CLAREMONT / MEDIUM DEFENDER & MIDFIELDER / 184cm

Came through the junior system more as a HB type and actually was pretty impressed with him in his draft year. Was surprised he didn’t get taken as I thought he was really composed and made good decisions. His kicking was a bit of an issue I think and maybe lacked the leg speed but has dominated at Claremont this year and won their B&F spending more time in the middle.

# 6 Collingwood

AARON DARLING – DANDENONG STINGRAYS / SMALL MIDFIELDER & FWD/ 178cm

Academy player who was probably the most exciting small forward coming into the season with Higgins but ended up doing his ACL and we didn’t get to see him. Strong body, competitive and terrific skills and think he might get snapped up late. Cousin of Jack Darling. Plays mid and can go back as well so offers a lot of versatility. They may prefer a ruck here but think Darling to good to let pass. They could go a few different ways with say a Meek or Conway in the ruck, a Talia or Mihocek as a defensive back ups or a Close as a tall forward / defender.

# 7 Hawthorn

MICHAEL TALIA – SYDNEY SWANS / DEFFENDER / 195cm

I would take this kid. I watched him in the NEAFL a few times last year and he is better that state league level. With Gibson retired I think he provides them some coverage back there if they want it. Close and Collins are others.

# 8 St Kilda

HARRISON JONES – MURRAY BUSHRANGERS / MIDFIELDER / 183cm

Impressive midfielder who might surprise on draft day. Can play inside and outside but its his work inside that really impresses me. For starters he wins a high percentage of them on the inside and his one touch, his first few steps and then distribution by hand to a team mate is first class. On the outside his ball use is fantastic and there is a fair bit to work with I would have thought. Didn’t play towards the end of the year but don’t be surprised if gets called earlier than you think.

# 9 Western Bulldogs

DYLAN LANDT - CALDER CANNONS / SMALL DEFENDER / 180cm

Be surprised if Dylan doesnt go as clubs are desperate for speed at the moment and the kid has it in spades being an elite sprinter before focussing on footy. Think he ran a sub 3s at Combine so he has franked that form. Wasnt overly dominant this year but he did enough to show there is something to work with, particularly in the game vs WA at champs. Even though he didnt get a lot of footy what he did with it was good. Made good decisions and executed them well and when he is on thats what he offers. Also could be moulded into a few different spots but I’d lean to HB or wing. Probably needs to be a more consistent and continue to build on the contested side.

# 10 Melbourne

BRODY MIHOCEK – PORT MELBOURNE / KEY DEFENDER / 191cm

Quality VFL defender who has been in outstanding form for some time and been involved at state level with great success. Knock has been his pace but his results against quality players has been really terrific and would be a handy back up key defender for a side. Reckon could land at Hawks or Pies as well. Sam Collins, Ethan Phillips or Close are others to look at.

# 11 WCE

BILLY HARTUNG – HAWTHORN

I think Billy is good enough to get another chance. His stats from afar look good but he doesn’t win enough of it and that’s an area he will need to focus on. If they didn’t go him then a small forward like Baker or Schulz would be on the list.

# 12 Essendon

PAT WILSON – STURT / MIDFIELDER / 187CM

Big bodied mid from Norwood that Essendon could play Rd 1 next year and would be pretty sure will go well. Been going well for a while and has great skills.

# 13 Sydney

JAMES BELL – ACADEMY SELECTION / UTILITY / 184cm

Seen a bit of him and there is something to work with. First time I saw him was last years NEAFL final and he was terrific. Quick and hard at it and run to good spots to link up. Also worked the other way so was working hard defensively.

# 14 Port Adelaide

SAM CONWAY – GEELONG FALCONS / RUCK / 204cm

Havent seen a huge amount but saw a bit of him in the TAC finals and was impressed every time. He has a way to go but he is a big boy and growing. His hands are fantastic and he really got it to advantage for them on a number of occasions. Wasn’t a huge ball winner but he is still learning

# 15 GWS

SAM REID – REDRAFTED

# 16 Geelong

MATTHEW HONEYBALL - REDRAFTED

# 17 Adelaide

HAMISH BRAYSHAW – SANDRINGHAM DRAGONS / MIDFIELDER & HALF FORWARD/ 187cm

19yo who must have been very close last year and has come back and had a fabuous TAC year and got some good exposure to VFL footy as well. Shares a lot of attributes to his brothers insomuch as a real competitor, tough and loves winning his own footy. Has added that burst of speed you want and his running ability has improved as well. Had a couple of games late in the year that were super impressive and would have clubs looking at him as a later selection because he also can play forward.

# 18 Richmond

STEWART CRAMERI – WESTERN BULLDOGS

I think the Tigers might have been looking for a key forward at some stage in the draft but one just never fell to a selection. With Tigers I took the attitude of just get the best and hence just didn’t pan out that way but I reckon swinging a lifeline to this bloke is the answer. He aint a key forward but he plays there style and he can fill in for a year or two.

# 19 Brisbane

CIAN HANLEY - REDRAFTED

# 20 Gold Coast

HARRY SIMMINGTON – ACADEMY SELECTION

# 21 Carlton

GEORDIE NAGLE - SANDRINGHAM DRAGONS / SMALL DEFENDER / 185cm

Really like watching this kid and whilst he is a bit one dimensional the premiers this showed that as long as blokes play their role you can get more than enough out of them to very successful. I thought it was a great thing for footy and could bring Nagle into draft calculations whereas in the past he might have been seen as a bit limited. What he does he does very well and he reminds me a lot of Ben Johnson. He is that super quick small defender that can win the footy or be first receiver and use his speed to break lines and get rid of the footy. Got great hands, clean below his knees and just thought his form in the finals was superb albit didnt get many accolades for it.

# 22 North Melbourne

CASSIDY PARISH - GEELONG FALCONS / MIDFIELDER / 189cm

Very different to his brother, plays more like a Patrick Cripps sort of player albeit has a few areas to work on before he gets to that level. To be fair he probably reminds me a bit of Matt Crouch at the same age. Not quick, not a brilliant user of the footy by foot but just an elite ball winner and distributor by hand. I was 50:50 on whether Matt would make it and been proved very wrong and Cassidy is probably in the same boat. Some of his skills are elite AFL standard and he can influence games as he showed in the TAC finals. He just has to improve that kicking and to his credit I thought it did improve as the year went on.

# 23 Fremantle

HARRISON NOLAN – EASTERN RANGES / KEY DEFENDER / 195cm

Would be one to look for late I would think albeit given his form this year and last has legitimate claims to be more highly considered. In his 15 TAC games this year landed in the bests twice and has a similar hit ratio last year as a bottom ager. Had a really good year as a key defender for Ranges and he has a good size about him. Probably more a negate type defender as he rarely gets beaten 1:1 and tends to want to spoil more than mark but has the ability to read the game well and intercept. Clubs will see him as a prospect.

# 24 Collingwood

ADAM OXLEY - REDRAFTED

…albeit I rather they didn’t and took someone like Sam Conway, Ned Reeves or Lloyd Meek.

# 25 Hawthorn

CALLAN ENGLAND – CLAREMONT / MIDFIELDER / 181CM

Neat midfielder from WA who doesn’t have a stand out attribute but is just a really solid type player who works really hard to get to the contest and then spread from it. Probably one of those types you don’t realise how much footy he has had until you look at the stats post game because he just accumulates. Then when you go back and take a bit more notice you realise he has a bit of speed, good agility and makes good decision. His ball use is really good and his tackle pressure is ok but he could probably do a bit more on that side of his footy.

# 26 St Kilda

MITCH PODHASJSKI – CALDER CANNONS / TALL DEFENDER / 190cm

His best footy is terrific to watch. Cannot remember the game but he played a game during champs which was super impressive. I hadn’t seen a lot of him before that but he is an exceptional mover, quick, terrific laterally, runs straight and can close space very quickly. Got a leap that lets him play a bit higher. Its that speed and explosiveness that makes you go wow this kid could really be something if he can pull it all together. Ball use is a work in progress but at his best he can lower his eyes and hit targets. Kicked 6 goals earlier in the year so can also push higher but I think his best is in the defensive half.

# 27 Western Bulldogs

BRETT BEWLEY – WILLIAMSTOWN / WINGMEN & HB / 186CM

22yo who has worked really hard to get his body into AFL shape and suspect he will get taken because he is just so devastating with ball in hand. He is an elite runner and has that Michael Hibberd appeal as a player who you want to get the ball to before you exit defence because he just doesn’t let you down by hand or foot.

# 28 WCE

LLOYD MEEK – GWV / RUCK / 204CM

Eagles probably need a 4th ruck on the list given their structure and Meek is the best left. Really impressed with some of his footy this year and made big strides. Great at the contest and good with his hands but he can get the ball around the ground as well. He is a big unit. Sam Conway and Ned Reeves all in the mix.

# 29 Essendon

JOSHUA SMITHSON – WEST ADELAIDE / MIDFIELDER / 185cm

Was a terrific performer in the SANFL for West Adelaide and won the club B&F and the U18’s B&F. Havent seen a whole lot of him outside of champs but he looked a really solid type and he had some good moments with his decision making and his ball use. He might get a chance late as athletically he ticks the boxes as well. Just a solid footy citizen.

# 30 GWS

JACK POWELL – ACADEMY SELECTION / MIDFIELDER / 181cm

Tough little Hombre from Canberra who is still light and a fair way off but they can take the time with him. Seen him a few times and impressed.

# 31 Adelaide

MATTHEW MCGANNON - GIPPSLAND POWER / MIDFIELDER / 182cm

Young fella with huge upside and think will get taken at some stage. The fact they had him in the Young Guns and in the All Star game suggests he is rated. His skills and decision making are really good but isn’t a big ball winner so that will have to come.

# 32 Richmond

KAI OWENS – SANDRINGHAM / UTILITY / 192cm

Plays in a few different spots with Mentone and Sandy and I am not sure where he will land but there is a lot to work with. Athletically he is very talented and has a wonderful leap and set of mits on him as we saw on GF Day. Probably needs to improve the ball winning aspect of his game but clubs will look closely at and suspect might go more as a wing type or high forward that can push forward into dangerous positions. Has got the tools to be a real weapon but he just hasn’t really dominated games on a consistent basis. Given he has focussed more on basketball up until now clubs may look at the fact their development programmes can get him to where he needs to be.

# 33 Gold Coast

CONNOR NUTTING – ACADEMY SELECTION / UTILITY / 187cm

Saw him play during the champs and whilst I didn’t think he screamed pick me I reckon the Suns might take him. If not him a bloke like Keras from the QFL is a chance and would work well for them.

# 34 Carlton

NED REEVES – OAKLEIGH / RUCK / 207cm

Young ruck who was really impressed with his progression through the year and whilst will take time certainly worth a crack this late to see what he can do. With Matt K and Lobbe they have oodles of time to be patient.

# 35 Hawthorn

DAVID HANDLEY – GEELONG FALCONS / SMALL FWD / 183cm

Small forward who at times really impresses and then others goes missing. Certainly has the speed and the ability to be damaging when he has it and then display the defensive pieces the other way. Reminds of Butler.

# 36 St Kilda

LEWIS PIERCE – REDRAFTED

# 37 WCE

CALLUM PORTER – GIPPSLAND POWER / 181cm / MIDFIELDER

Had a fantastic year with some like 12 games amongst the bests for Gippy this year. I get to see a bit of him and to be fair it is hard to rank him as there are a few in the same mould as there always is with the more inside types. Callum is a bit Priddis like and like Priddis may have to come through the rookie draft. He has that same ball hunting that Priddis does and equally can rack up the touches. He has also got a bit more speed than his blonde haired mate.

# 38 GWS

DOULTON LANGLANDS - MURRAY BUSHRANGERS / MEDIUM DEFENDER / 188cm

Athletic type defender who showed a bit last year for the Bushies. Smart half back and uses his body to take gain advantage when the ball is coming in. He’s got some real ability at HB and clubs will come for him becase he has speed and can use the footy really well by foot. I haven’t seen a heap of him but the games I have he has displayed some genuine AFL attributes and I would think he goes as a rookie.

OR

NED RICHARDS – GWSA / RUCK / 200cm

May prefer this bloke who has been around their system for a while and is coming along. They probably would want a back up ruck on the list but its touch and go for mine as to whether they take him

# 39 Adelaide

JAKE SPENCER - MELBOURNE

# 40 Hawthorn

DALLAS WILLSMORE – REDRAFTED

# 41 Adelaide

CAMERON ELLIS-YOELMEN – REDRAFTED

Hey Snoop Dog,
Is there an updated rookie draft order for Monday? Where can I find the actual pick order?
Cheers mate

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Our recruiting staff have been adamant that mids are the absolute priority this year. And rightly so.

c5f.gif

Snoop Dog, appreciate the effort that you put into a rookie draft as well.

Can you refresh me on what happens with Father/ son (Jackson Edwards to Adelaide), Academy (Doultan Langlands to GWS for example) and Next Generation Academy (Jiath and Olango to Hawthorn for example) picks in the rookie draft.

Is it like last year with Ben Jarman at Adelaide when they used their last available rookie pick, and can clubs can use there last rookie picks on Academy and NGA players?

1 – BRISBANE

CLAYE BEAMS - REDRAFTED

2 – GOLD COAST

MITCH PODHASJSKI
CALDER CANNONS / TALL DEFENDER / 190cm

His best footy is terrific to watch. Cannot remember the game but he played a game during champs which was super impressive. I hadn’t seen a lot of him before that but he is an exceptional mover, quick, terrific laterally, runs straight and can close space very quickly. Got a leap that lets him play a bit higher. Its that speed and explosiveness that makes you go wow this kid could really be something if he can pull it all together. Ball use is a work in progress but at his best he can lower his eyes and hit targets. Kicked 6 goals earlier in the year so can also push higher but I think his best is in the defensive half.

3 CARLTON

BAILEY BANFIELD
CLAREMONT / MEDIUM DEFENDER & MIDFIELDER / 184cm

Came through the junior system more as a HB type and actually was pretty impressed with him in his draft year. Was surprised he didn’t get taken as I thought he was really composed and made good decisions. His kicking was a bit of an issue I think and maybe lacked the leg speed but has dominated at Claremont this year and won their B&F spending more time in the middle.

4 – NORTH MELBOURNE

JORDAN BUTTS
MURRAY BUSHRANGERS / KEY FORWARD & DEFENDER / 195cm

Youngest player that will get drafted I suspect and whilst still pretty raw and in need of some more bulk he has a lot of upside. His go is that he is a wonderful one touch mark player. Really flies for the ball and gets it at its highest point and they just stick. Played forward and back but has some traits that make you think trying him as a forward might be the way to go. Pretty mobile and strikes me that if he could learn that forward craft the combination of his speed and ability to create separation along with his one touch marking could make him a real prospect.

5 – FREMANTLE

FLYNN APPLEBY
GWV / MEDIUM DEFENDER / 186CM

Bit of a bolter and staggered he wasn’t invited to Combine. Number of clubs are circling him so expect him to go particularly after his effort on Brander late in the year where he really dominated him. Still pretty thin and needs time but he is a classic HB who plays a bit taller and tougher than what you think. Lovely mover, take a great mark, reads the play well and can intercept and then get involved in the transition forward.

6 – COLLINGWOOD

NATHAN KRUEGER
SOUTH ADELAIDE / TALL FORWARD & UTILITY / 194cm

Another player who have enjoyed watching albeit havent seen as much as would like to. Had some really eye catching moments though through champs where he displayed great aerial ability, good hands, speed and ball use. I think he is probably going to end up as Jack Gunston like player but he needs to be in the game a bit more because he has a lot of talent. Terrific athlete and still looks a bit raw with a lot of upside.

7 – HAWTHORN

CHANGKUOTH JIATH - Academy Selection

8 – ST KILDA

NOAH ANSWERTH
OAKLEIGH / MEDIUM DEFENDER / 189CM

Hard at it HB type who had a shocking injury to his back that kept him out most of the year. Did get back onto field late and reminded us why he was a player that was up the pointy end coming into the year. Really aggressive, tough HB type who is a terrific size and a really good mover. Got some speed and can set up from the back half with his ball use. May go back as a 19yo but I wouldn’t betting he gets taken.

9 - Western Bulldogs

HAIDEN SCHLOITHE
SOUTH FREMANTLE / MIDFIELDER & SMALL FWD / 184cm

Did it all this year winning nearly every award there was in WA. As we know though that doesn’t mean much for draft chances given what has happened with a few of those award winners. Has mixed his time between midfield and forward but I really like him forward. Has real speed, defensive running mindset and powerful fella who keeps his feet and can find the goals. Love to see him go and he is that in vogue player so would think he does.

10 – MELBOURNE

KIERAN STRACHAN
ESSENDON / RUCK / 202cm

Few clubs are on the look out for a ruck this year and I think this is probably the best mature age prospect going around. 202cm, athletic and has a lot of upside left in him. Spent a little time forward at stages and showed can take a grab or at least compete in the air as well so he is a handy prospect. Given the progress to date you would think getting into an AFL club development programme will do wonders for him. Clubs want competitors and blokes that will have a ‘crack’….he does.

11 – WCE

MATTHEW DAY
OAKLEIGH CHARGERS / MIDFIELDER / 189cm

An ex Basketballer who is still developing his game but you don’t have to watch him to many times to realise he has some seriously good AFL traits. He is a ripping size and you would think will fill out pretty well but he has a bit of speed, he is really agile through traffic, skills are good and I think most appealing is probably his vision and decision making having won the ball inside the contest / in congestion. My knock on him is he doesn’t really dominate games consistently but he has been focussed on basketball and he showed improvement late in the year and was given a spot in the All Star game which suggests clubs will come for him. A lot to work with.

12 - ESSENDON

TRENT MYNOTT
EASTERN RANGES / MIDFIELDER / 184CM

Caulfield Grammer kid who I think is a really smart footballer and who can play a few different roles. Quite like him around the middle because he is quite good at the stoppages, gets through traffic pretty well, runs both ways, applies good tackle pressure and uses it really well. Averaged 22 possessions which is decent and had a good carnival and impressed for sure. Watched his vision again recently and looks a real player. Knock is his speed.

13 – SYDNEY

CHARLIE THOMPSON
OAKLEIGH CHARGERS / SMALL FORWARD / 183cm

Rate this kid as an AFL Prospect. Plays a role clubs will be chasing kids for and has the scope to push higher if required. Has played predominantly as a small forward which is where he will land at AFL but has been used as a midfielder as well and had some big games where he has gathered a lot of footy and kicked multiple goals such as the game vs Bendigo late in the year. Smart player who knows where to position himself, tough and loves it physical, keeps his feet and stays in the contest which is crucial for a bloke playing that role, makes good decisions and then finishes really. Got really nice skills on him. Defensively will do it for you as well. The knock on him is he doesnt have that elite speed clubs might be after for that role.

14 – PORT ADELAIDE

JOEL AMARTEY
SANDRINGHAM / TALL UTILITY /196CM

Basketball background and had a wonderful 2nd half of the year. Certainly put his name in contention for a spot late in the draft. Clubs will be drawn to his athletic ability. Obviously very tall but has a great leap on him, got some speed and terrific agility. He is a good ball user and a can take a really good grab. Not sure what his best spot will be . Seen him mostly as a ruck but also seen him play back and actually thought he looked at home. Saw a number of his games leading in and during finals and a really eye catching player. Intrigued to see where he lands.

15 – GWS

CALLAN ENGLAND ………..OR NICK SUBAN
CLAREMONT / MIDFIELDER / 181CM

Neat midfielder from WA who doesn’t have a stand out attribute but is just a really solid type player who works really hard to get to the contest and then spread from it. Probably one of those types you don’t realise how much footy he has had until you look at the stats post game because he just accumulates. Then when you go back and take a bit more notice you realise he has a bit of speed, good agility and makes good decision. His ball use is really good and his tackle pressure is ok but he could probably do a bit more on that side of his footy.

16 – GEELONG

STEWART CRAMERI............OR LACHLAN SMITH

17 - ADELAIDE

HARRISON JONES
MURRAY BUSHRANGERS / MIDFIELDER / 183cm

Impressive midfielder who might surprise on draft day. Can play inside and outside but its his work inside that really impresses me. For starters he wins a high percentage of them on the inside and his one touch, his first few steps and then distribution by hand to a team mate is first class. On the outside his ball use is fantastic and there is a fair bit to work with I would have thought. Didn’t play towards the end of the year but don’t be surprised if gets called earlier than you think.

18 – RICHMOND

JORDAN JOHNSTON
GWV / MEDIUM FORWARD & MIDFIELDER / 185cm

One of the players I really enjoy watching. Is one of those kids that plays at a high tempo and is a real barometer for team. Probably started more as a half forward where he is crafty and clever in the air and on the ground. Has a good leap, turn of speed and his clean hands and ball use are good. Went into the middle later in the season and I was pretty impressed with his work inside and and out. Has good vision in traffic and makes good calls.

19 – BRISBANE

CIAN HANLEY - REDRAFTED

20 - GOLD COAST

ALEX BOYSE
ESSENDON / MEDIUM FWD/ 191cm

Another terrific state league story of a player who has come from outside the normal pathway to land a spot on an AFL list. Been a big goal kicker for the VFL side this year and is that kind of ‘in vogue’ forward that is really mobile, reads the game well and plays a little taller than he is because he marks the ball at the highest point. His speed particularly is elite (2.92s for 20m) allows him to get great separation so would think he will surely go.

21 – CARLTON

ALEX MARTINI
GLENELG / MEDIUM DEFENDER / 181cm

The work rate is what you see in this kid along with his competitiveness. Doesn’t possess any x factor attributes but he works really hard and reads the game really well. Good with his hands, solid kick and can take a grab. Played a lot of senior footy this year and has done really well at that level showing he can compete. Was a solid champs performer and thought he was very good in the All Star game as well.

22 – NORTH MELBOURNE

ETHAN FLOYD
GEELONG FALCONS / WING & HB/ 179cm

Think clubs will have a close look at Ethan because he is an elite runner, has good speed and his ball use by foot is at the upper end for sure of the draft pool. Can really influence games with his ball transition and the way he can cut through defensive lines. Probably needs to be in the game more at times and that’s probably due to him not being a great ball winner but if he can fix that he will really hurt teams. Got some class. That game vs Gippy in the first final was him at his best.

23 – FREMNTLE

AARON DARLING
DANDENONG STINGRAYS / SMALL MIDFIELDER & FWD/ 178cm

Academy player who was probably the most exciting small forward coming into the season with Higgins but ended up doing his ACL and we didn’t get to see him. Strong body, competitive and terrific skills and think he might get snapped up late. Cousin of Jack Darling. Plays mid and can go back as well so offers a lot of versatility.

24 – COLLINGWOOD

HAYDEN MCLEAN…..OR MICHAEL CLOSE
SANDRINGHAM DRAGONS / KEY FORWARD / 197CM

Had a super season at TAC level where he really dominated but it was his All Star game that will have stood out. I rate Harrison Petty highly and he got a hold of him in that game and kicked 4 (albeit Harrison probably had his measure in the Champs). He presented at the footy really well and showed good speed and smarts in his leading and had strong hands. Happy to crash into packs and use his size and break packs up. He is a beautiful kick but I suspect there are still doubts about his agility at the top level. Having said that I have watched him in the ruck and felt he gets around ok. Will be an interesting one to watch as still not convinced on his mobility at AFL level. I really like watching him to be honest though and think he is smart.

25 - HAWTHORN

ANGUS STYLES
SANDRINGHAM DRAGONS / MED DEF & MID / 186CM

Still very light but you would think something to work with as he covers the ground really well and is able to get involved. Athletically he ticks a lot f boxes and think he is probably best suited to a HB role where he can play behind the ball and use his skills and speed to set play up.

26 – ST KILDA

BAILEY HENDERSON
BENDIGO PIONEERS / UTILITY / 188CM

Got a lot of traits clubs will be really keen. Athletically ticks a lot of boxes – great size, very agile and has some good speed. With ball in hand got a bit of poise and with that speed he can set his team up with his nice finishing skills over short and long distances. He is an outside type but I have been impressed with some of his work at TAC & Champs where he went hunting the footy and got some good results and that will have been noticed. He does need to work on that though along with his tackle pressure & consistency because he can go missing.

27 – WESTERN BULLDOGS

ROARKE SMITH - REDRAFTED

28 - MELBOURNE

ADAM SAMBONO
NT THUNDER / SMALL FWD / 182cm

20yo who the AFL have bent the rules for a little to enable him a pathway to be drafted…..and good on them. Kid is only slight but he is a real talent and burnt up the NEAFL with his goal kicking this year. Agile, quick, crafty and understands the forward caper well. Importantly even though he is only slight he is happy to do the defensive stuff as well but clubs will be concerned about his ability to physically match it at senior level. Let’s hope he gets a spot as he would be a ripper to watch.

29 - WCE

NED REEVES ...........OR JAKE SPENCER
OAKLEIGH / RUCK / 207cm

Young ruck who was really impressed with his progression through the year and whilst will take time certainly worth a crack this late to see what he can do. With Matt K and Lobbe they have oodles of time to be patient.

30 – ESSENDON

PAT WILSON
STURT / MIDFIELDER / 187CM

Big bodied mid from Norwood that Essendon could play Rd 1 next year and would be pretty sure will go well. Been going well for a while and has great skills.

31 – SYDNEY

BRODY MIHOCEK
PORT MELBOURNE / KEY DEFENDER / 191cm

Quality VFL defender who has been in outstanding form for some time and been involved at state level with great success. Knock has been his pace but his results against quality players has been really terrific and would be a handy back up key defender for a side. Reckon could land at Hawks or Pies as well.

32 – ST KILDA

DYLAN LANDT
CALDER CANNONS / SMALL DEFENDER / 180cm

Be surprised if Dylan doesnt go as clubs are desperate for speed at the moment and the kid has it in spades being an elite sprinter before focussing on footy. Think he ran a sub 3s at Combine so he has franked that form. Wasnt overly dominant this year but he did enough to show there is something to work with, particularly in the game vs WA at champs. Even though he didnt get a lot of footy what he did with it was good. Made good decisions and executed them well and when he is on thats what he offers. Also could be moulded into a few different spots but I’d lean to HB or wing. Probably needs to be a more consistent and continue to build on the contested side.

33 – GWS

STEFAN GIRO
NORWOOD / MIDFIELDER / 175CM

Had a terrific year statistically but is only the 175cm and he is pretty light as well. Having said that he racks up getting touches, can play inside and out of the contest and is clever in the decisions he makes and his use of the pill. He plays mid but I think he may end up as a clever small forward and he reminds me a little of Milne at the same stage of his career.

34 – GEELONG

MATTHEW HAYBALL (REDRAFTED)

35 – ADELAIDE

GEORDIE NAGLE
SANDRINGHAM DRAGONS / SMALL DEFENDER / 185cm

Really like watching this kid and whilst he is a bit one dimensional the premiers this showed that as long as blokes play their role you can get more than enough out of them to very successful. I thought it was a great thing for footy and could bring Nagle into draft calculations whereas in the past he might have been seen as a bit limited. What he does he does very well and he reminds me a lot of Ben Johnson. He is that super quick small defender that can win the footy or be first receiver and use his speed to break lines and get rid of the footy. Got great hands, clean below his knees and just thought his form in the finals was superb albit didnt get many accolades for it.

36 – RICHMOND

TYLER KEITEL
WEST PERTH / KEY FORWARD / 196cm

21 yo who has been knocking on the door for a while now and probably a combination of stuff that has prevented him until now but he has earnt and deserves the chance. Since missing as a junior has played back and performed well but with West Perth has really made the key forward post his own and had a dominant year up forward. Always read the flight well and had good hands and his mobility is good he just needs to probably get a bit more production and consistency but think he will thrive if he really wants it.

37 – GOLD COAST

SAM DAVIDSON – ACADEMY SELECTION

38 – CARLTON

CAM O'SHEA ......OR BLAINE BOEKHURST OR MATT SHAW

Could end up taking more than one of them but think they will go with O'Shea unless someone jumps on him first which could happen given a few are looking for other options. They may take him first.

39 - COLLINGWOOD

ADAM OXLEY - REDRAFTED

40 - HAWTHORN

ALEX FREDERICO
NORTHERN KNIGHTS / MIDFIELDER / 184cm

Started more as a back but moved to Inside midfielder this year and is a competitive bugger and think he might have got himself into a draftable position with his second half of the year where he finished amongst their very best in the last 6 games. Clubs want blokes who compete and can win footy and Alex demonstrated that in the 2nd half of the year. His go is to win the footy and then use his vision to release his teammates into an attacking position. He is a good mark, has good endurance and his ball use by foot is certainly AFL standard but its hand’s that are the real weapon.

41 – ST KILDA

LEWIS PIERCE - REDRAFTED

42 – WCE

AIDAN DOMIC
GWV / MEDIUM FORWARD / 185cm

Played in the All Star game last year and is a terrific athlete albeit isn’t overly quick but is someone that just runs all day and works his bumb off. Wonderful skills and has genuine footy smarts in his decision making and finished 2nd in the B&F for GWV. Averages over 20 possessions a game and clubs will be worried about the fact he doesn’t win a high percentage of them as contested and his tackle numbers are around 3 per game.

43 - SYDNEY SWANS

HARRISON NOLAN
EASTERN RANGES / KEY DEFENDER / 195cm

Would be one to look for late I would think albeit given his form this year and last has legitimate claims to be more highly considered. In his 15 TAC games this year landed in the bests twice and has a similar hit ratio last year as a bottom ager. Had a really good year as a key defender for Ranges and he has a good size about him. Probably more a negate type defender as he rarely gets beaten 1:1 and tends to want to spoil more than mark but has the ability to read the game well and intercept. Clubs will see him as a prospect.

44 - GWS

DAVID HANDLEY
GEELONG FALCONS / SMALL FWD / 183cm

Small forward who at times really impresses and then others goes missing. Certainly has the speed and the ability to be damaging when he has it and then display the defensive pieces the other way. Reminds of Butler.

45 – ADELAIDE

CAMERON ELLIS – YOELMEN - REDRAFTED

46 – GOLD COAST

NICK HIND
ESSENDON VFL / SMALL DEFENDER / 181cm

23yo who has had good VFL year and could be next Saad / Newman / Hibberd / Ryan. Lightning quick and tested really well at the Combine where I think he went circa 2.9s from memory for the 20m so that is going to appeal to clubs along with the fact he tested well for endurance. He is a really attacking defender who is good below his knees, has clean hands and is a good ball user so is the type of player a lot of clubs are looking for at the moment as they focus on their ball transition from defence. Has also spent some time in the middle but Nick could play Rd 1 in a back pocket albeit he still probably needs to build the frame a little and that may be what holds him back.

47 - HAWTHORN

DALLAS WILLSMORE - REDRAFTED

48 – GWS

SAM REID – REDRAFTED

49 – ADELAIDE

JACKSON EDWARDS – FATHER SON SELECTION

50 – GOLD COAST

CASSIDY PARISH ……OR HARRY SIMMINGTON
GEELONG FALCONS / MIDFIELDER / 189cm

Very different to his brother, plays more like a Patrick Cripps sort of player albeit has a few areas to work on before he gets to that level. To be fair he probably reminds me a bit of Matt Crouch at the same age. Not quick, not a brilliant user of the footy by foot but just an elite ball winner and distributor by hand. I was 50:50 on whether Matt would make it and been proved very wrong and Cassidy is probably in the same boat. Some of his skills are elite AFL standard and he can influence games as he showed in the TAC finals. He just has to improve that kicking and to his credit I thought it did improve as the year went on.

UNLUCKY ONES……

JAMES BELL
SWANS ACADEMY SELECTION / UTILITY / 184cm

Seen a bit of him and there is something to work with. First time I saw him was last years NEAFL final and he was terrific. Quick and hard at it and run to good spots to link up. Also worked the other way so was working hard defensively.

BRETT BEWLEY
WILLIAMSTOWN / WINGMEN & HB / 186CM

22yo who has worked really hard to get his body into AFL shape and suspect he will get taken because he is just so devastating with ball in hand. He is an elite runner and has that Michael Hibberd appeal as a player who you want to get the ball to before you exit defence because he just doesn’t let you down by hand or foot.

COOPER GAFFNEY
WWT / SMALL DEFENDER / 179CM

Really impressed with him at champs and from what saw subsequently. Plays middle in SA but was used off HB at champs and thought he was really good in finding the ball, deciding what to do with it and then using it. Has decent speed and good lateral movement.

SAM CONWAY
GEELONG FALCONS / RUCK / 204cm

Havent seen a huge amount but saw a bit of him in the TAC finals and was impressed every time. He has a way to go but he is a big boy and growing. His hands are fantastic and he really got it to advantage for them on a number of occasions. Wasn’t a huge ball winner but he is still learning

JORDAN KERAS – QLD / MIDFIELDER / 180CM

Prolific ball winner in the NEAFL who might get a chance given his year. Hard inside type but has the speed to work on the outside as well. Be interesting to see if he gets picked up. Think Kane Lambert.

DOULTON LANGLANDS
MURRAY BUSHRANGERS / MEDIUM DEF / 188cm

Athletic type defender who showed a bit last year for the Bushies. Smart half back and uses his body to take gain advantage when the ball is coming in. He’s got some real ability at HB and clubs will come for him becase he has speed and can use the footy really well by foot. I haven’t seen a heap of him but the games I have he has displayed some genuine AFL attributes and I would think he goes as a rookie.

MATTHEW MCGANNON
GIPPSLAND POWER / MIDFIELDER / 182cm

Young fella with huge upside and think will get taken at some stage. The fact they had him in the Young Guns and in the All Star game suggests he is rated. His skills and decision making are really good but isn’t a big ball winner so that will have to come.

BRENDAN MYERS
NSW / MIDFIELDER / 180cm

Midfielder with elite kicking skills.

JOSH NEWMAN
WILLIAMSTOWN / MED DEF / 185cm

Brother of Nick and many would argue Josh is the better one. Like his brother has lovely skills and plays off HB setting up attacks. Been a terrific state leaguer.

KAI OWENS
SANDRINGHAM / UTILITY / 192cm

Plays in a few different spots with Mentone and Sandy and I am not sure where he will land but there is a lot to work with. Athletically he is very talented and has a wonderful leap and set of mits on him as we saw on GF Day. Probably needs to improve the ball winning aspect of his game but clubs will look closely at and suspect might go more as a wing type or high forward that can push forward into dangerous positions. Has got the tools to be a real weapon but he just hasn’t really dominated games on a consistent basis. Given he has focussed more on basketball up until now clubs may look at the fact their development programmes can get him to where he needs to be

JACK POWELL
GWS ACADEMY SELECTION / MIDFIELDER / 181cm

Tough little Hombre from Canberra who is still light and a fair way off but they can take the time with him. Seen him a few times and impressed.

NED RICHARDS
GWS ACADEMY / RUCK / 200cm

May prefer this bloke who has been around their system for a while and is coming along. They probably would want a back up ruck on the list but its touch and go for mine as to whether they take him

JOSHUA SMITHSON
WEST ADELAIDE / MIDFIELDER / 185cm

Was a terrific performer in the SANFL for West Adelaide and won the club B&F and the U18’s B&F. Havent seen a whole lot of him outside of champs but he looked a really solid type and he had some good moments with his decision making and his ball use. He might get a chance late as athletically he ticks the boxes as well. Just a solid footy citizen.

Last edited:
Excellent - just a couple of minor issues.

Didn’t Ben Miller get selected in the ND at 63? Therefore CJ should be your pick 7 to the Hawks

Personally, I’d have Harrison Nolan as taken in the Rookie Draft. I felt he was one of the hardest key defenders to shake for the big blokes.

Other than that, it’s a great RD phantom.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back