Footy Dept. Soon to be ex-GM - List & Recruiting Adrian Dodoro #putoutyourjackets

Remove this Banner Ad

Cliff notes:
  • Stepping back from his current senior role following the 2023 AFL Draft
  • Transition plan, raised the possibility with Vozzo in April
  • Replacement is Matt Rosa, whose thread is here: Welcome to Essendon Matthew Rosa – AFL Talent & Operations Manager!
Full text from media release said:
To coincide with this announcement, the Club’s General Manager of List and Recruiting, Adrian Dodoro, has made the decision to take a step back from his current senior role following this year’s NAB AFL National Draft. He will lead the Club through the upcoming 2023 Trade and Draft period in his current position prior to transitioning to and assisting Matt Rosa moving forward.
Dodoro, an Essendon Life Member, has played a significant role at the Bombers over nearly three decades and said the time was right to take a step back.
“I approached Craig back in April to discuss the concept of transition and I feel that now is the right time to make this decision,” Dodoro said.
"I sat on the panel to assist in the selection of Matt, and I believe he will be an outstanding acquisition to the Club for years to come. I look forward to working with Matt moving forward.
“These roles are very taxing on individuals and their families and it just feels like that. After nearly three decades and with stability in key roles at the Club, now is the right time for me to take a step back in to a role which will provide me and my family with a better work life balance.
“More immediately, we have an important few months coming up and I’m looking forward to playing my part to deliver a strong Trade and Draft period for the Club to ensure that the playing list is in a strong position for the future.”
Essendon CEO Craig Vozzo acknowledged the significant impact Dodoro has made at the Club since joining in a full-time role in 1998.
“Adrian is a highly respected Life Member of the Essendon Football Club and has made an enormous contribution to the Club and the wider AFL industry during his time in football, including assisting to navigate the Club through unprecedented and challenging periods,” Vozzo said.
“Throughout his time at the Bombers, Adrian’s commitment and passion to take the Club forward in its list management and recruiting, has been unquestionable. Some of the Champions of Essendon have been identified and selected by Adrian, and we will always be grateful for the important and enduring role he has played.
“On behalf of the entire Club, we would like to acknowledge Adrian’s selfless decision and we look forward to his ongoing contribution to the Club.
“Adrian will work with Matt to ensure a smooth hand-over and a successful transition of responsibilities.”

He has no right to be disappointed in my opinion. If you want to offer unders for a contracted player at least make one of the picks a future first that the opposition actually want to try to entice them to blink first. We tried to bring Dunkley here and then showed Doggies a useless offer.

I am so sick of reading this.

In no way was Essendon's offer "Unders"

Dunkley has done NOTHING to deserve 2 first round top 10 picks. Adrian would have been negligent in offering that.

That is more than Neale, Tim Kelly etc etc

In a world where Saad is worth pick 8, Daniher got pick 7 compo and the draft is weak!! We could have traded pick 8 and something small to Collingwood for pick 16 and there future first and then sent 7 and our future first to Doggies, back in that us with those additions vs Collingwood with their losses isn't that different next year and get a 23 yr old gun that meets exactly what we need both from a playing and professionalism point of view rather than picking up potential which we haven't done well in ages ie: 5 and 6 for Parish and Francis. Instead of winning each trade he could have looked at the net gain of the trade period and been very happy and been able to sell that easily to the supporters.
Mate

Saad had a solid body of work over the last 3 years finishing top 3 in our B&F in all those years. We also sent back a 3rd rounder.
Daniher compensation was purely based on the $$ and contract offered by Brisbane, and our ladder position at the time.
Pick 8 AND a future 1st is way too much for Dunkley. (Good chance our ftr 1st will be a top 6 pick). Thats an offer Id give for Bontempelli, not Dunkley. I mean have we learnt nothing from the Shiel trade??.
People saying 2020 draft is weak?? How do we know this? We wont know this for another 3 years or so.

Look I would've loved Dunkley, but I'd rather have a crack at 2 potential young guns than over paying for one.

I am so sick of reading this.

In no way was Essendon's offer "Unders"

Dunkley has done NOTHING to deserve 2 first round top 10 picks. Adrian would have been negligent in offering that.

That is more than Neale, Tim Kelly etc etc
Honestly I don't think Tim Kelly has done anything more than Dunkley tbh.

quotey bits
“In the end we had a direct offer with them (the Bulldogs) that had our pick 7 on the table and a future second-round selection,” he said on SEN Breakfast.

“It was a very, very strong offer but at the end of the day they didn’t want to do that.

“Also another deal that Ned Guy from Collingwood worked extremely hard to put together in a three-way deal that we thought was fairly compelling as well.

“They would have landed a future first, two seconds and a third-round as well to get (Adam) Treloar for Josh. They were resolute and good on them.

_____

“They played it extremely well. There was no problem at all with the Bulldogs.

“Contracted player and I probably would have done the same thing as well to be honest because he’s a quality person.”

“We worked really hard to try and get it done for him but unfortunately it didn’t happen,” he added.

“He’s going to have a terrific career at the Western Bulldogs and I’m sure that we can all move past this, but it is disappointing.”

_____

“I think it’s a satisfying outcome for the club,” he said.

“To get 6, 7 and 8 is fairly unprecedented for us. I don’t think we’ve had a draft hand like that, so that’s really good.

“The three boys that we brought in are all targeted players.

“Pleased on that front but obviously disappointed that we weren’t able to land Josh Dunkley.”

Honestly I don't think Tim Kelly has done anything more than Dunkley tbh.

apart from nearly winning a brownlow...

both have had 1 good season. And Kelly's blew Dunkley's away.

Can someone do the numbers on the Dunkley proposed trade by EFC (7 + Future 2nd) versus the Dogs demand for 7 + Future First versus what Cameron went for?
not sure the numbers, but if they had sent back a future 2nd & 4th (to unlock the trade for our 1st), i kind of feel we should have done that.
then used 8 to get a future 1st from the Pies + 16.

6, 8, 16 + Brand & Eyre (if we have spots for that
Pies future 1st, with rds 2, 2x 3 & 4 back intact
plus Dunkley in

We finish bottom 5 next year and the Dogs get a windfall. But Dunkley is a gun who we publicly pursued.

People saying 2020 draft is weak?? How do we know this? We wont know this for another 3 years or so.

Look I would've loved Dunkley, but I'd rather have a crack at 2 potential young guns than over paying for one.
I reckon a hint on the draft strength is what the cats have done. I think if you look at their draft history they've been lucky to take lots of picks in the so called superdrafts and not so many picks in the rubbish drafts. Too lucky. So lucky you'd almost think it was great management.

We seem to go the other way. So much bad luck with all our big trading wins in the rubbish drafts and being traded out of the superdrafts. You'd almost think it wasn't great management.

So as it stands this year we have a host of draft picks, Dodoro with the second most points in the world at his disposal. I wonder how much luck he'll have with them, while poor Stephen Wells is studying the form for 2021...

Can someone do the numbers on the Dunkley proposed trade by EFC (7 + Future 2nd) versus the Dogs demand for 7 + Future First versus what Cameron went for?

If https://www.draftguru.com.au is right, and assuming same ladder finishing positions;

7 + Future Second (25 before any compo picks according to Lore's spreadsheet) = 2400 points or Equivalent Pick 3

7 + Future First (6) = 3395 points or the Equivalent of Pick 1 (3000 points) + Pick 42 (395) points

Geelong I've NFI what picks they've got back tied to what clubs, but 13 + 15 + 20 + F4 (72) is 3255 points OUT or less than what the Dogs wanted for Dunkley. Geelong also got 2 x future 2nd round selections back, which could be both Essendon (25) & GWS (28) which means they've actually given up 1433 points or the equivalent of Pick 6.

Shows you just how high the asking price for Dunkley was if there wasn't anything coming back our way, pretty sure that would be by far the highest ever trade value?

I reckon a hint on the draft strength is what the cats have done. I think if you look at their draft history they've been lucky to take lots of picks in the so called superdrafts and not so many picks in the rubbish drafts. Too lucky. So lucky you'd almost think it was great management.

We seem to go the other way. So much bad luck with all our big trading wins in the rubbish drafts and being traded out of the superdrafts. You'd almost think it wasn't great management.

So as it stands this year we have a host of draft picks, Dodoro with the second most points in the world at his disposal. I wonder how much luck he'll have with them, while poor Stephen Wells is studying the form for 2021...

2021 will be a deep draft, but I'm not sure if the top-end talent is necessarily better than 2020? The draft watchers would have to comment there.

Keep in mind, we've also got the ability to make trade moves to shuffle things around, clubs only wanting to take 1 or 2 selections will be looking to trade up the order whilst we might want to trade down or spread picks in to 2021.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

apart from nearly winning a brownlow...

both have had 1 good season. And Kelly's blew Dunkley's away.
I mean I wouldn't say he nearly won it. He was 9 votes off Fyfe's 33 in 2019. Dunkley was 9 votes off Kelly whilst playing at least 1/3 of the season out of position. If you extrapolated that, their performances would be pretty bloody close.

I don't think Kelly's blew Dunkley's away, at all.

2021 will be a deep draft, but I'm not sure if the top-end talent is necessarily better than 2020? The draft watchers would have to comment there.

Keep in mind, we've also got the ability to make trade moves to shuffle things around, clubs only wanting to take 1 or 2 selections will be looking to trade up the order whilst we might want to trade down or spread picks in to 2021.
I'm hoping that's what we do. As i say about Wells, you can burn a first rounder on Ezra Bray. But you keep throwing darts in a deep draft and pick Chapman, Ling and Enright set yourself up for a decade.

I need to wait for the podcast and listen again, apparently he said there was a three-way trade proposed by Ned Guy that the Dogs knocked back?

There seemed to be a bit of a feeling that with Treloar going cheap, we could work some sort of three-way to land Dunkley cheap because we’d largely be playing for Treloar.

That never made any sense from the Dogs perspective so unsurprising they knocked it back.

I want him gone but have zero issues with how we treated Dunkley.
i'm feeling a trend that we've lost the mojo at the trade table.
Smith, Stringer & Saad for a 1st & 2x 2nds was a peak.

since then:
Shiel - 2x top 10~ picks out for a good player, but not a major need. With FA looming, a 1st & 2nd should have sufficed.
Daniher - Pick 9 & 3 into Pick 7 on a gambit
Dunkley - Courted publicly and failed to get a deal done.

i'm feeling a trend that we've lost the mojo at the trade table.
Smith, Stringer & Saad for a 1st & 2x 2nds was a peak.

since then:
Shiel - 2x top 10~ picks out for a good player, but not a major need. With FA looming, a 1st & 2nd should have sufficed.
Daniher - Pick 9 & 3 into Pick 7 on a gambit
Dunkley - Courted publicly and failed to get a deal done.

Saad, Fantasia, Wright, Caldwell?

All good trade outcomes.

It's not about wanting Dunkley. What we did is tie up a stack of trade capital and energy on that deal despite the fact we were never going to come to the table. What trees did we not shake because we had allocated the picks required to get Dunkley?

You can't scatter gun trade period. You have to target players unless you have the picks and flexibility of mind to take advantage of opportunities as they present themselves.
I've not been following this closely but was Dodoro trying a clever dick move to get Dunkley on the cheap?

Eventually players nominating a club will become just another bullshit tool used go position and manoeuvre so I'm not reading too much into that part myself - but the outcome here looks to be we don't have the mid we actually need but we have another possible ok AFL mid in Caldwell.

Caldwell and Dunkley in and say Merrett to the Dogs would have been a win win and the type of shift our midfield actually needed IMO. I don't have any confidence in Dodoro picking mids at the draft and would have been more than happy with this outcome and then move him up/accross or elsewhere.

Saad, Fantasia, Wright, Caldwell?

All good trade outcomes.
i think we paid a bit for Caldwell (Hately is walking for free...i kind of feel we paid the price for both)

And the Saad 1st should have been moved into a 2021 1st (Dees, Pies)

Once the demand of 2x 1sts was made, rather than haggling, we should have been looking for ways to get that done

i think we paid a bit for Caldwell (Hately is walking for free...i kind of feel we paid the price for both)

And the Saad 1st should have been moved into a 2021 1st (Dees, Pies)

Once the demand of 2x 1sts was made, rather than haggling, we should have been looking for ways to get that done

Certainly think we got pushed to give up more than we really wanted to for Caldwell, and more than historically players like that have gone for. Also a bit of a * you to Essendon to let Hately walk for free. But still, fairly solid effort from Dodoro to get a it done without touching any of the Top-10 selections.

It seems like we tried pretty hard to get Port's Future 1st where they were completely unwilling to give it, no idea on Carlton, and the Dogs said they wouldn't accept us breaking a Top-10 selection for later picks to trade for them.

Pretty much the Bulldogs position on Dunkley was the same as ours on Daniher last year; the trade was never going to happen unless it was an obscene offer, which would have been irresponsible of us to give up.

Does this hold true if the ask was 3 x 1sts? 2 x 1st and 2nd?
Both sides have to have a 'walk away' point and it seems both teams were pretty happy to walk away.

Having said that, the AFL draft and tred period is a mystery to me so I don't really pay attention, or pretend to understand it, and it m,ight be we screwed up royally. Why they need such weird rules and stipulations is beyond me; lucky I have the NHL to keep me interested...

A minor conspiracy theory but I reckon Dodo might've been overruled on Dunkley. Well, not quite overruled, but had it mandated that he wasn't to trade 2x first rounders for him.

Say what you like about him, but with trades he typically gets his man. His praise for the Dunkleys seems almost apologetic. Our new approach where "list management will work more closely with coaching" and the wider club etc? Some chance I think. There was no hiding his disappointment for mine.

I want Dunkley and would've done the deal but if this is the case, gotta be happier they'd be working closer together.

A minor conspiracy theory but I reckon Dodo might've been overruled on Dunkley. Well, not quite overruled, but had it mandated that he wasn't to trade 2x first rounders for him.

Say what you like about him, but with trades he typically gets his man. His praise for the Dunkleys seems almost apologetic. Our new approach where "list management will work more closely with coaching" and the wider club etc? Some chance I think. There was no hiding his disappointment for mine.

I want Dunkley and would've done the deal but if this is the case, gotta be happier they'd be working closer together.
Who would have overruled him? We don't have a GM right now, so would it have been Rutten's call?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back