Footy Dept. Soon to be ex-GM - List & Recruiting Adrian Dodoro #putoutyourjackets

Remove this Banner Ad

Cliff notes:
  • Stepping back from his current senior role following the 2023 AFL Draft
  • Transition plan, raised the possibility with Vozzo in April
  • Replacement is Matt Rosa, whose thread is here: Welcome to Essendon Matthew Rosa – AFL Talent & Operations Manager!
Full text from media release said:
To coincide with this announcement, the Club’s General Manager of List and Recruiting, Adrian Dodoro, has made the decision to take a step back from his current senior role following this year’s NAB AFL National Draft. He will lead the Club through the upcoming 2023 Trade and Draft period in his current position prior to transitioning to and assisting Matt Rosa moving forward.
Dodoro, an Essendon Life Member, has played a significant role at the Bombers over nearly three decades and said the time was right to take a step back.
“I approached Craig back in April to discuss the concept of transition and I feel that now is the right time to make this decision,” Dodoro said.
"I sat on the panel to assist in the selection of Matt, and I believe he will be an outstanding acquisition to the Club for years to come. I look forward to working with Matt moving forward.
“These roles are very taxing on individuals and their families and it just feels like that. After nearly three decades and with stability in key roles at the Club, now is the right time for me to take a step back in to a role which will provide me and my family with a better work life balance.
“More immediately, we have an important few months coming up and I’m looking forward to playing my part to deliver a strong Trade and Draft period for the Club to ensure that the playing list is in a strong position for the future.”
Essendon CEO Craig Vozzo acknowledged the significant impact Dodoro has made at the Club since joining in a full-time role in 1998.
“Adrian is a highly respected Life Member of the Essendon Football Club and has made an enormous contribution to the Club and the wider AFL industry during his time in football, including assisting to navigate the Club through unprecedented and challenging periods,” Vozzo said.
“Throughout his time at the Bombers, Adrian’s commitment and passion to take the Club forward in its list management and recruiting, has been unquestionable. Some of the Champions of Essendon have been identified and selected by Adrian, and we will always be grateful for the important and enduring role he has played.
“On behalf of the entire Club, we would like to acknowledge Adrian’s selfless decision and we look forward to his ongoing contribution to the Club.
“Adrian will work with Matt to ensure a smooth hand-over and a successful transition of responsibilities.”

Bolded is exactly what I mean. GWS and Collingwood have amazing depth in the midfield. We don't. Our midfield hasn't performed well despite being relatively at full strength. No amount of fit Danihers and Fantasias will improve our midfield output. Our midfield was utterly destroyed on a number of occasions. Smith mildly improves it, but nothing too drastic. At full strength, it still wouldn't rate in the top 10.

Also, how much of our injury problmes is our fault though? Heppell and Fantasia delayed their surgeries for almost half a season for no reason. It could now affect their 2020 season. Injury mismanagement is another reason why I don't blame injuries.
And we matched it with that collingwood midfield on ANZAC day. Just to clarify are you saying that if we were to have a best 22 out on the park for a full season, we are still no chance of a flag?

And we matched it with that collingwood midfield on ANZAC day. Just to clarify are you saying that if we were to have a best 22 out on the park for a full season, we are still no chance of a flag?
Yes I am. Because of our midfield + gameplan. Could change for the 2020 season provided that we address our main midfield deficiencies in the draft/DFA/rookie draft + build a gameplan suitable for finals football. They have their work cut out.

We were never a chance this year or last year because we simply didn't have the list to compete for a flag, even if we didn't have those injuries.

Yes I am. Because of our midfield + gameplan. Could change for the 2020 season provided that we address our main midfield deficiencies in the draft/DFA/rookie draft + build a gameplan suitable for finals football. They have their work cut out.

We were never a chance this year or last year because we simply didn't have the list to compete for a flag, even if we didn't have those injuries.
How can you say we were no chance injury free, when you have never seen us injury free?

You just have to get your spine right with 2 or 3 All Australian KPP's (pay huge $$$ for each) then you build around that. The last piece of the puzzle is midfield.

Essendon's been doing that for 40 years. The problem is it only worked for the first 20.

You havent seen the team at full strength. A full strength midfield isnt enough. Look at Collingwood
You're entitled to your opinion. I'm not saying your opinion is invalid. Yes there are grounds to say we have a good enough list. I just disagree with it.
We were pretty close to full strength when we were destroyed by GWS and lost to St Kilda. That to me isn't good enough.

I look at Collingwood and see a top 4 team that was a kick away from back-to-back grand finals. Also a kick away from a premiership. Not sure what I'm looking at. It actually proves my point. A good midfield is very important.

Look at GWS, Collingwood, Richmond and West Coast's midfields. You really think ours will compete with that? We'd get brushed aside in a final like we always do.

You're entitled to your opinion. I'm not saying your opinion is invalid. Yes there are grounds to say we have a good enough list. I just disagree with it.
We were pretty close to full strength when we were destroyed by GWS and lost to St Kilda. That to me isn't good enough.

I look at Collingwood and see a top 4 team that was a kick away from back-to-back grand finals. Also a kick away from a premiership. Not sure what I'm looking at. It actually proves my point. A good midfield is very important.

Look at GWS, Collingwood, Richmond and West Coast's midfields. You really think ours will compete with that? We'd get brushed aside in a final like we always do.
We beat GWS this year and arguably got stooged by umpires on ANZAC day against collingwood. So yes we can compete with them. I dont see how you can say we are no chance injury free, and im not sure why youd be interested to watch a game if you didnt think we were at least a chance to win. But im happy to just agree to disagree.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We beat GWS this year and arguably got stooged by umpires on ANZAC day against collingwood. So yes we can compete with them. I dont see how you can say we are no chance injury free, and im not sure why youd be interested to watch a game if you didnt think we were at least a chance to win. But im happy to just agree to disagree.
What available evidence do you have that we were a chance with a full strength team? I've given my reasoning. We haven't won a final in 15 years going on to 16. It's just extrapolating beyond the available data when we haven't even shown anything resembling a competitive finals side in that time except 2014. 2014 is literally the only final that wasn't over by HT.

Fremantle beat Collingwood at the MCG and GWS comfortably away. Also comfortably beat Geelong too. Collingwood, Geelong and GWS would fry them in finals. Does that mean Fremantle were a chance? Nope.

I don't believe we were a chance because finals are a completely different ball game. Just ask Bulldogs. Smashed GWS by over 60 points 3 weeks out from finals. Smashed in the EF at the same ground despite GWS having a ton of injuries.

Point is, we don't play a brand that stands up in finals. We don't have a midfield that can withstand finals like pressure. Too undersized and too imbalanced. It's why West Coast toyed with us. Daniher wouldn't have changed that.

Do I say we cannot win a premiership next year? I'm not categorically ruling it out because I want to see what Caracella and Rutten can do to our brand + draft/rookie draft/DFA. How likely do I think it is? Highly unlikely.

We aren't that far away, but I don't think we're as close as we hoped either.

What available evidence do you have that we were a chance with a full strength team? I've given my reasoning. We haven't won a final in 15 years going on to 16. It's just extrapolating beyond the available data when we haven't even shown anything resembling a competitive finals side in that time except 2014. 2014 is literally the only final that wasn't over by HT.

Fremantle beat Collingwood at the MCG and GWS comfortably away. Also comfortably beat Geelong too. Collingwood, Geelong and GWS would fry them in finals. Does that mean Fremantle were a chance? Nope.

I don't believe we were a chance because finals are a completely different ball game. Just ask Bulldogs. Smashed GWS by over 60 points 3 weeks out from finals. Smashed in the EF at the same ground despite GWS having a ton of injuries.

Point is, we don't play a brand that stands up in finals. We don't have a midfield that can withstand finals like pressure. Too undersized and too imbalanced. It's why West Coast toyed with us. Daniher wouldn't have changed that.

Do I say we cannot win a premiership next year? I'm not categorically ruling it out because I want to see what Caracella and Rutten can do to our brand + draft/rookie draft/DFA. How likely do I think it is? Highly unlikely.

We aren't that far away, but I don't think we're as close as we hoped either.
I dont have any evidence of what the team can do with a full strength side because unfortunately, we've never had a full strength side. I do believe a full strength side for a solid 10 weeks leading into finals wouldve been a different story though. If this is where we disagree then so be it, im happy to move on. I agree with you that our depth isnt great, our midfield lacks a big body or 2 and our gamestyle needs improvement through rutten/caracella.

It seems unlikely Joe would go into the draft given that he wants out of Melbourne. Of course, we don't know what the draft order will be, but you'd think there'd be a few picks before Sydney's first. Why would he risk getting picked up by some club he doesn't want to be at?

Plus, Joe reportedly has nothing against Essendon, so will probably want the club to receive fair compensation.

The club could have got fair compensation this year which will be better that FA compensation in 2020.

This has happened before hasn’t it

Not for Free - Geelong and Adelaide bypassed FA to trade Dangerfield for similar to what Sydney offered for JD - And Dangerfield had a better record than JD - We need to be careful with RFA because if clubs become pig-headed the AFLPA will ask the AFL to abolish RFA.

If he goes into the draft, then Gold Coast will pick him up. If he wants to get to Sydney, then he’d have to trade for it.
Not delusional

Do you think the AFLPA will allow a pig-headed club to make this kind of move - They'll convince the AFL to abolish RFA - Finally, the Daniher name is embedded in the culture of EFC, so do you want to get the family off-side because of a childish and immature move by the club - You have no idea.

The club could have got fair compensation this year which will be better that FA compensation in 2020.

True. I'm perhaps as worried as you are about how it all turns out. Very much hoping Joe's body is okay and he has a good season next year.

Not for Free - Geelong and Adelaide bypassed FA to trade Dangerfield for similar to what Sydney offered for JD - And Dangerfield had a better record than JD - We need to be careful with RFA because if clubs become pig-headed the AFLPA will ask the AFL to abolish RFA.

I was being sarcastic because it hasn’t happened. You’re the one with no idea.

Do you think the AFLPA will allow a pig-headed club to make this kind of move - They'll convince the AFL to abolish RFA - Finally, the Daniher name is embedded in the culture of EFC, so do you want to get the family off-side because of a childish and immature move by the club - You have no idea.
The letter to members was a little amusing. Adds a little fuel to people on here saying Daniher was kept purely for the membership numbers.

Maybe he's starting to feel that external pressure and it's a hail mary move to maintain his position. Regardless of Joe's health a finals win is a must next year to retain that position and he's betting that a fit Joe is more likely to achieve that than two kids.
When has he really bet on kids?
He came out lig a big man and said no to 5 and 9 so it wasn’t offered
Not one swans kid except papley wanted to come to us and tla couldn’t get a good player to get involved.
Luke Jackson and a lachie ash type would have given you two top end talents.
I just don’t see how anyone falls for the facade that is Adrian dodoro.
He is an underachiever in his role.
In his time Collingwood has won premiership bottomed out a bit and made another grand final.
Essendon can’t even win a final!

Childish and immature? Pig-headed? There’s a rule in place that allows teams to match any RFA offers. Teams are allowed to pick anyone in the open draft.

You’re the one saying he will nominate for the draft, which is very very unlikely.

The likely scenario is he requests to go to Sydney and we don’t match.

If he slots straight in and performs well, then we either agree to trade to bypass RFA like Adelaide and Geelong or match a bid and force a trade. We’ll likely just accept what Sydney give anyway.

Again, if he goes to the National draft, which is extremely unlikely, then he won’t get to Sydney unless Sydney finish bottom 2 or 3. Clubs like Gold Coast are allowed to exercise their right to pick a player in the open draft, which is why it rarely ever happens.

When has he really bet on kids?
He came out lig a big man and said no to 5 and 9 so it wasn’t offered
Not one swans kid except papley wanted to come to us and tla couldn’t get a good player to get involved.
Luke Jackson and a lachie ash type would have given you two top end talents.
I just don’t see how anyone falls for the facade that is Adrian dodoro.
He is an underachiever in his role.
In his time Collingwood has won premiership bottomed out a bit and made another grand final.
Essendon can’t even win a final!
How can you say no to something that wasn’t offered? If Essendon allegedly said no to 5 + 9, then why did Sydney offer 9?

Sydney never wanted to part with pick 5. They’re in a rebuild. 9 + a future first isn’t worth it.

My issue with Dodoro is his drafting rather than trading. His trading is fine.

If Joe asks to leave again we will probably get one 1st rounder less, no big deal IMO, 1 solitary unknown pick won't be the difference in success or failure for our club.

The club have taken a calculated risk, sure it could backfire big time but we've been through worse recently I think, and the upside could be massive.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back