Official Club Stuff Stand Alone VFL Team announced - Footscray Bulldogs

Remove this Banner Ad

There will need to be a margin for error now. Don't forget with 2 squads the injury and rehab group is sure to be larger. While affiliated [ Willy etc] we could rely on their reserve numbers for topping up the VFL squad. This will no longer be an option. We will need to be self sustaining.

Pretty clearly they want the side to be competitive from it's beginning, and not to go through a protracted period of being a cellar dweller ala the most recent start up clubs at AFL level.
It would not be helpful to the development of our youngsters to be part of a losing team week in and week out.
Clearly the club wants to develop a winning culture at both levels ASAP.

All of the signings are not yet set in stone, but should all be done pretty soon. Their first week back was really tough from what I was told, which started off with a 2k time trail.

All smiles in regard to the line coaches as well, nothing but good reports.

Paul Amy mentioned that Jordan Russell has signed with Footscray, Good Get

The Footscray Bulldogs will showcase a mix of experience and emerging talent in 2014, with former Collingwood and Carlton defender Jordan Russell the latest acquisition joining the Club as both a player and development coach.

“The thing that stood out the most [about Footscray] is the fact that it is directly aligned with the Western Bulldogs,” Russell said.

“I get to experience and learn a lot off the [coaching group] who are young and then Chris Maple has obviously been around for awhile.

“I get to learn and pick their brain and I think I get a day or half a day in with the AFL boys as well.”

"When my footy was battling away a bit I found myself gravitating towards the younger boys… and just trying to help them and pass on my experiences and knowledge and try to make them better,” he said.

“I love working with and helping the younger guys and trying to make them get better – I think you see a lot of growth in the younger guys because they can learn so quickly.

“It ended up killing me because the guys I was developing ended up taking my position, so I don’t know whether it was a smart move or not,” he joked

Development Manager Chris Maple said the recruitment of Russell in both a coaching and playing capacity was a major coup for the Club.
“Jordan has been in the leadership group at Carlton and he’s got a bit of experience in that area, so we wanted to tap into that,” Maple said.

“Also obviously he is a very good player – he will work very closely with our younger boys in the VFL and train with them, lift with them and effectively teach them how to become pros.

“Jordan has an interest in being a development coach in the future at AFL level and we think we can give him some good coaching experience here with our development program.”
http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/2014-01-29/russell-footscrays-newest-recruit

Call me cynical but I don't like the idea of someone who showed at two clubs that he wasn't AFL standard playing a role in developing the youth on our list.

Call me cynical but I don't like the idea of someone who showed at two clubs that he wasn't AFL standard playing a role in developing the youth on our list.

Pretty harsh Easty , still played a lot of AFL games at a reasonable level,
You don't have to be a great to make a good teacher of the game,

Have a look at this board full of guys that never played one AFL game . But we are blessed by the most astute footy brains on WB Bigfooty :)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah I agree with the King. Was a pretty good player at senior level. Looking at blokes like Teague, Hunter ect. you don't need to be a superstar player to be a good coach.

Also is my friend's boyfriend, good bloke.

T shirt Tommy didn't exactly set the world on fire as a player if I recall correctly, but was one of the all time great coaches.

I freely admit to have been a little taken aback initially when I read the part about him having assistant coaching duties, but
we can hardly judge from outside his intelligence or coaching potential on the basis of nothing more than casually watching a
few games he played.

I think BMac and company have sufficient runs on the board by now relating to their ability to select the 'right type' of people
to bring into the club. And I don't think they would risk undoing all that they are achieving with the players by making hasty or ill
considered appointments of guys to lead and guide our kids.

Back the Mac I say.

anyone know what time?
It's a non-stop game from 9-5, with no interchange benches. 8 hours of consecutive footy is exactly the practice our players will need to deal with the interchange cap.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back