Official Club Stuff Stand Alone VFL Team announced - Footscray Bulldogs

Remove this Banner Ad

Already mention by posters

Brian Cordy’s coaching resume includes taking players like Matthew Scarlett, Johnathan Brown and Cameron Ling under his wing and now he is eager to mark his mark on the Footscray Bulldogs list.

With over 25 years’ experience as both coach and teacher, Cordy has an extensive understanding of how to develop and nurture young football talent.

Become a 2014 Western Bulldogs member today and help us 'Gather The Pack.’

The former Bulldogs player – and father of Ayce – was approached by both Senior Coach Brendan McCartney and Development Coach Chris Maple to join the Footscray Bulldogs coaching panel.

“I thought it would be a great thing to be involved in… I was very, very honoured and very surprised,” Cordy said.

“I have had a fair bit of experience in junior development and 30 years of teaching, so hopefully I can offer something that might help the young men there.”

Cordy was thrilled with the news of the inception of a stand-alone VFL team and believes the flow on effect will benefit more than just the AFL-listed players.

“I think it is a great thing for the development of the young players, not just the listed players at the AFL but people from the western region area, the young players who haven’t quite been given a chance,” he said.

“I think it is one of the fundamental improvements in the last few years, a lot of the AFL clubs having a stand-alone side.

“It allows the same message that goes to the top senior players get right through to the bottom of the list with those guys trying to find their way through.

“It can only fast track [their development] and I think it will be a great bonus for the Club in the long term.”

With a history coaching the Geelong Falcons in the TAC Cup, local Geelong football sides and influencing the Geelong College football program, Cordy is more than qualified to take on the new role.

Primarily focusing on bringing in a team-first mentality among the playing group, Cordy will also oversee the VFL coaching panel on match day, drawing on his knowledge and experience.

“I think my greatest asset will be in fact team building, working together as a group, just the whole team ethic rather than individual ethic,” he said.

“And just experience on match day in the coaches box, experience when things aren’t going that well, because sometimes with young coaches that is when you struggle.

“I have had a few weeks now to work alongside Chris Maple, Ash Hansen who is doing the midfield, Chad Jones and Stewart Edge and I am really, really excited - I think they are a quality group who are really good for the young players.”

http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/2014-02-02/cordy-senior-joins-footscray-coaching-panel

Already mention by posters

Brian Cordy’s coaching resume includes taking players like Matthew Scarlett, Johnathan Brown and Cameron Ling under his wing and now he is eager to mark his mark on the Footscray Bulldogs list.

With over 25 years’ experience as both coach and teacher, Cordy has an extensive understanding of how to develop and nurture young football talent.

Become a 2014 Western Bulldogs member today and help us 'Gather The Pack.’

The former Bulldogs player – and father of Ayce – was approached by both Senior Coach Brendan McCartney and Development Coach Chris Maple to join the Footscray Bulldogs coaching panel.

“I thought it would be a great thing to be involved in… I was very, very honoured and very surprised,” Cordy said.

“I have had a fair bit of experience in junior development and 30 years of teaching, so hopefully I can offer something that might help the young men there.”

Cordy was thrilled with the news of the inception of a stand-alone VFL team and believes the flow on effect will benefit more than just the AFL-listed players.

“I think it is a great thing for the development of the young players, not just the listed players at the AFL but people from the western region area, the young players who haven’t quite been given a chance,” he said.

“I think it is one of the fundamental improvements in the last few years, a lot of the AFL clubs having a stand-alone side.

“It allows the same message that goes to the top senior players get right through to the bottom of the list with those guys trying to find their way through.

“It can only fast track [their development] and I think it will be a great bonus for the Club in the long term.”

With a history coaching the Geelong Falcons in the TAC Cup, local Geelong football sides and influencing the Geelong College football program, Cordy is more than qualified to take on the new role.

Primarily focusing on bringing in a team-first mentality among the playing group, Cordy will also oversee the VFL coaching panel on match day, drawing on his knowledge and experience.

“I think my greatest asset will be in fact team building, working together as a group, just the whole team ethic rather than individual ethic,” he said.

“And just experience on match day in the coaches box, experience when things aren’t going that well, because sometimes with young coaches that is when you struggle.

“I have had a few weeks now to work alongside Chris Maple, Ash Hansen who is doing the midfield, Chad Jones and Stewart Edge and I am really, really excited - I think they are a quality group who are really good for the young players.”

http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/2014-02-02/cordy-senior-joins-footscray-coaching-panel

Hey. Don't say I don't look after my BF Bulldog family. :D
I broke the Maple/Cordy VFL story on Sept 6th last year. ;) http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threa...m-announced-footscray-bulldogs.1021324/page-6

(Although I did mention that Tony Libertore was going to be one of the other VFL coaches, which hasn't materialised.............yet).

http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/2014-02-07/cocaptains-for-footscray

Nick Lower & Lukas Markovic Named Inaugural Co-Captains with Brent Prismall & Jordan Russell Named in an Extended Leadership Group

Former AFL listed players Lukas Markovic and Nick Lower have been named Footscray Bulldogs’ inaugural co-captains.

The two former Bulldogs boast extensive football experience at both national and state level and have played a pivotal role in the stand-alone side’s first pre-season campaign.

Markovic and Lower are joined by the Bulldogs Player Wellbeing Coordinator Brent Prismall and former Collingwood and Carlton defender Jordan Russell in an extended leadership group.

Dour defender, Markovic, is buoyed by the opportunity to captain Footscray alongside his former Bulldogs teammate and said their leadership styles will complement each other out on the field and at training.

“It’s a massive honour and I couldn’t think of a better person to be co-captain with as well – he just has got leadership written all over him,” Markovic said.

“It will be good to bounce off each other with ideas, we can both offer different things and hopefully be able to drive the team towards success.”

The loyal Bulldogs fan feels especially priviledged to assume the leadership role of the side he grew up supporting – particularly with Victoria University Whitten Oval being reinstated as their home ground.

“If I was to think as a little kid to be running out onto Whitten Oval, to be leading the team out as the captain of Footscray - it’s an absolute dream come true to be involved in an opportunity like that,” he said.

Markovic has previous leadership experience captaining Box Hill in 2009, as well as leading the Eastern Ranges in his top age TAC Cup year.

Why March :( should be this week because we dont play a NAB game

I think it's because how we are on the last game of round 1, so to fill the gap between our last NAB challenge and round 1 on 23rd or so.

Nick Lower named co-captain of Footscray’s VFL team
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/leader/...tscrays-vfl-team/story-fngnvog3-1226836200934

NICK Lower could have easily opted to add another stop to a bumpy ride that has taken him across three states.

The journeyman has been delisted three times from an AFL club, notching 55 games across eight seasons for Port Adelaide, Fremantle and the Western Bulldogs.

His time at the Dogs ended after just one season when he was squeezed out by the club’s stable of emerging midfielders last year.

But, far from bitter, Lower will remain at Whitten Oval and has been named co-captain, alongside good friend Lukas Markovic, of Footscray’s VFL team.

“It was always a great club,” Lower said.

“When I left at the end of last year, it was a bit of a surprise, but I certainly wasn’t upset with the coaching staff and I understood the reasons behind it.

“The club’s definitely going places and I saw the opportunity to be a part of a thriving club. Although it won’t be at AFL level, you still certainly feel a part of it.”

Lower and Markovic were the standout contenders for the captaincy and will be joined by former AFL players Brent Prismall and Jordan Russell in the leadership group.

The Dogs’ list is yet to be finalised but it will include experienced heads with AFL and VFL experience, along with players from the TAC Cup, Western Region Football League, Victorian Amateur Football Association and the Ballarat League.

Lower said he was “humbled” to be selected co-captain. He led sides during his junior career and was looking forward to sinking his teeth into the role.

“It’s a huge honour. To be part of the inaugural Footscray VFL team is a huge honour in anyone’s eyes, but the fact we (him and Markovic) played for the senior side and now the VFL side — it’s certainly something we haven’t taken lightly,” Lower said.

“I’ve always seen leadership as a pretty important part of my role, although at senior level I’ve never really had a fixed position in any leadership groups.

“Last year at the Dogs I was part of an open leadership group and at times at Fremantle as well I was part of an extended leadership group.

“It’s certainly going to be interesting as the year pans out with boys coming in and out of the AFL side at different stages. For Lukas and I, having spent the majority of previous years on AFL lists with these guys, it’s going to make it a little more comfortable for them when they come back to us.”

Lower said defender Markovic was a “very level-headed, grounded guy”.

Footscray will start its VFL campaign on April 5 against Richmond.

Whitten Oval will host games for the first time since 1997, with Footscray having five matches at the Barkly St venue — against Richmond, Northern Blues, Essendon, Box Hill and Bendigo Gold.

“It’s always an honour to pull on the guernsey, but to run on the oval after so many years and actually play games there for points … it’s the spiritual home of the club and there’s a lot of history and tradition that runs deep in the roots of that grass. We’re all pretty pumped to get out there,” Lower said.

Expect the VFL side to mirror the AFL team and display the contested-ball style of play promoted by senior coach Brendan McCartney.

Footscray boss Chris Maple has previously made it clear the development of the club’s AFL players is the No. 1 priority.

“We don’t really know what to expect. Obviously there are some very strong stand-alone teams in Port Melbourne and Williamstown now. But we’d like to think on any given day — regardless of how many AFL-listed blokes we have — that we’ll be able to match it with the best,” Lower said.

Lower described pre-season as “full on” and said he did not harbour ambitions to return to the top level.

“I think a few of the boys have had pretty big shocks when it comes to the training load. I think they’ve got a really good program that will hold us in good stead,” he said.

“I’d certainly like to win a couple of premierships. I’m not playing there just to make up the numbers.”

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No talls besides a couple of ruckman, I guess you want your AFL listed players playing in the key spots though.

Williamstown won't be happy with Iaccarino…IIRC they were advertising him as having signed with the 'Gulls for 2014.
Well that's their own fault then because beyond some talks he was still a fair way off signing with them. He's a jet, wasn't too far off a rookie spot last year at a couple of AFL clubs, and will definitely play a few games I think due to his age and the 23rd man rule. He played 1 game as an underager at Willy last year, kicked a couple of goals I think, although it was against Bendigo. Best on in a couple of TAC cup finals too. He will impress.

Well that's their own fault then because beyond some talks he was still a fair way off signing with them. He's a jet, wasn't too far off a rookie spot last year at a couple of AFL clubs, and will definitely play a few games I think due to his age and the 23rd man rule. He played 1 game as an underager at Willy last year, kicked a couple of goals I think, although it was against Bendigo. Best on in a couple of TAC cup finals too. He will impress.
Agree with you, wasn't trying to suggest that we shouldn't have signed him or anything of the sort. I just remember reading an article about him on the Willy website.

Definitely a good player though, was the Jets' B&F I believe.

Cannot understand him not getting a rookie spot, tough as nails and runs hard, although an overage player he just missed the age cutover being born in mid December. Sometimes it is tough on these kids, Siciliy who was drafted by Hawthorn was only 3 weeks younger.

I expect Iaccarino to play mid field for the Footscray and play very well.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back