#StandBySmith

Remove this Banner Ad

View attachment 476246

this young urchin would never break any rules.

lead astray by his bogan friends Warner and Lehmann.

He ****** up but gee you can see what this has done to him! Not nice and I am really thinking of Steve and his family.
Interesting that after the fact of cheating a teary press conference can garner sympathy.
Agreed he may need some support for a time to come.
But no teary press conference can change the fact as Steve said "the cheating was on his watch".
I dont go for the after effect waterworks,That should of been thought of beforehand.
Real men stand up when the time demands.

I think the public perception will swing big time now that he's faced the music in the way that he did.

His greatest challenge will be coming back, and you suspect he'll be welcomed back with open arms when the time comes.

Serving his 12 month ban will be a big part of the forgiveness process, even if it is a bit excessive.

I do think the Shield ban is harsh though, it should be a national team ban only.
Only being allowed to play club cricket will affect his preparation for a return. CA should know this.

Honest question to Australians. Smith Warner were caught enabling an underling towards tampering the cricket ball its against rules of cricket and brings disrepute to the game. Ok but its not a crime he is not a criminal. The way Australia is treating him thw police the press..whom are Australians doing this for ?. Treat Smith better, its not a crime.

Interesting that after the fact of cheating a teary press conference can garner sympathy.
But no teary press conference can change the fact as Steve said "the cheating was on his watch".
I dont go for the after effect waterworks,That should of been thought of beforehand.

Which he admitted. He said "There was a leadership failure. I failed." (Or something like that.)

But if he had been a "real man" he wouldn't have failed in the first place? I don't agree with that. Real men are fallible. Smith was at least man enough to admit he'd failed, in front of the world. Ask yourself, how would you go, taking that press conference?

Last edited:
Ball tamperers in the past......Pfaf (twice), Philander, Tendulkar, Atherton got a slap on the wrist and were waved play on.

Smith is stupid and naive enough to own up and for that he gets kicked, hung drawn and quartered......by his own country.

In no way am I endorsing the inept and clumsy attempt to alter the ball........but please.....some perspective.

There's been an odd turn around here, for the first 48 hours people were demanding all sorts of Old Testament style justice and now it's been dispensed it's an overreaction.
I'm dirty on Warner, 99% convinced it's entirely his fault

"There was a leadership failure. (paused....). I failed.”

That was the turning point for me. He manned up and took the responsibility on his shoulders, no excuses. For that we now have to move on. But he can never be captain again.

There's been an odd turn around here, for the first 48 hours people were demanding all sorts of Old Testament style justice and now it's been dispensed it's an overreaction.

Most people need some time to process bad news before they're ready for a balanced response. And in cases like this, a lot hangs on how the person concerned responds to the situation.
Had Smith tried to take the route of, for example, a certain football club: "I didn't do nuthin' wrong. And besides, you can't prove it. And how dare you? I'll sue!" I think the general mood would then be far less forgiving.

Felt really bad for Smith when he was surrounded by police,it was like he was a serial killer captured after a massive killing spree.

Media also built this up (for ratings?)

Yes,ball tampering is bad but let us not treat them like they are criminals.

Have a bit of heart,the World is angry enough as it is.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ball tamperers in the past......Pfaf (twice), Philander, Tendulkar, Atherton got a slap on the wrist and were waved play on.

Smith is stupid and naive enough to own up and for that he gets kicked, hung drawn and quartered......by his own country.

In no way am I endorsing the inept and clumsy attempt to alter the ball........but please.....some perspective.
Spot on.. exactly what I think..
Let's see what happens when something like this happens to another country... I bet you they won't get treated half as bad as we're treating these guys.
Especiover over India. How corrupt they are with the game over there. As India basically control world Cricket as well...

I'm wondering if those players you mention are thinking to themselves right now that they are glad they didn't admit more forthrightly about their ball tampering.

At the same time, Smith did own up to it, has faced some pretty heavy music and copped a solid whack for it too.

Clearly the ball-tampering card was played because he's a bloke under pressure for results, who may not have the best judgement or tactical nous, and is probably ill-suited to the captaincy (but chosen as we are fairly bereft of other options).

Yes, he made a mistake and cheated, but I'm willing to forgive him once the punishment is served. I wouldn't give him the captaincy again (I'd say his captaincy was in question even prior to this), but he'll have a place in the Australian XI again by mid-2019.

It'll be interesting to see how this affects the national side going forward, and how Smith returns to international cricket. Will the team fall apart? Will Smith still be the same batsman? Time will tell.

Took the bullet, copped a much harsher punishment from CA than ICC and garnered sympathy in emotional presser. He should be fine in time.

CA is inconsistent. They come down hard on this, but take sledging and other poor behavior lightly. If they're so concerned bout the look of the game they should have punished poor behavior in the past, thus preventing players developing a culture of being above the law.

Not de Kock ( he can't tell the truth), not du Plessis who has been has been found guilty of ball tampering twice,not Philander and not Virat Kholi who has been found guilty as well and not the South African nor Indian Cricket Boards, we at least owned up, those countries cannot lie straight in bed. Oh Hansie Kronje says hello too !

Sorry, hadn't read other replies before post...didnt realise Big Footy had some posters with perspective !!

Last edited:
Which he admitted. He said "There was a leadership failure. I failed." (Or something like that.)

But if he had been a "real man" he wouldn't have failed in the first place? I don't agree with that. Real men are fallible. Smith was at least man enough to admit he'd failed, in front of the world. Ask yourself, how would you go, taking that press conference?

This is unfortunately lost on a lot of people.

Smith's leadership broke down in Cape Town, but he's not shied away from that fact. Most of the people who aren't feeling any empathy for him likely wouldn't have lasted 5 minutes in his position.

It's possible to both feel some sympathy for Smith and think that the punishment he received was entirely just and appropriate for his disgraceful failures as a captain.

Watching that press conference I just found myself thinking he should never have been made captain- his actions have demonstrated he clearly was not up to the job and if he hadn't been captain he could be still happily tonking hundreds and building his legacy.

I don't think there is really anything left to say about him at this point. He's done the wrong thing, been absolutely obliterated as a result, that's the end of the matter as far as I'm concerned.

Given they've now seen the consequences, I doubt very much we will see ball tampering by an Australian cricketer again in our life times. The footage of him in the airport and that presser will stick in people's memories for a long time.

The term 'real man' in itself is such a toxic masculine construct. He faced the music and expressed genuine emotion and remorse which a lot of 'real men' wouldn't be able to do.

Agree, I think people are confusing the sympathy with people thinking they should not be punished at all.

It's more the whole public shaming this is the worst crime in the history of humanity and that there should be public hangings needs to stop. Like with everything in life, you cop your whack and move on.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back