Movie Star Wars - The Prequels Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Roger Ebert probably saw it a week or two before release and didn't like it but thought "Eh, maybe I just wasn't in the right mood for it? And I don't want to be the guy that shitcanned the new Star Wars movie" and had his review typed and at the printers (newspaper era) well before midnight.

I remember everyone loved TPM when it released. Audiences and critics. Maybe some critics write bad reviews back then but I can't remember any or how widespread the criticisms were as it seemed the majority was definitely loving it.

It seems more in recent years when the tide turned on the PTs. Like 5-10 years ago. Mr Plinkett probably popularized the criticisms of them.

I remember people and critics disliked AOTC upon release, but then ROTS was loved by all again..at the time.

Nah, the modern brainwashed geek culture will praise it even harder as being a perfect introduction.

Sent from mTalk
Trust me the tide is turning on it. On the Jedi council forums more and more people are coming out. Again, we're seeing group think at play. First in loving it, now in panning it. People tend to follow the herd

Trust me the tide is turning on it. On the Jedi council forums more and more people are coming out. Again, we're seeing group think at play. First in loving it, now in panning it. People tend to follow the herd

But what does them coming out have to do with their opinion on a film?

Jokes aside, it is too late. Everything is more short term, instant gratification than it used to be. Disney got the response they wanted and queued up the next line of projects based on that. Luckily R1 was already underway before that.

Sent from mTalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

But what does them coming out have to do with their opinion on a film?

Jokes aside, it is too late. Everything is more short term, instant gratification than it used to be. Disney got the response they wanted and queued up the next line of projects based on that. Luckily R1 was already underway before that.

Sent from mTalk
Just saying in time the consensus will be a dislike of TFA. Tho it might be years later when Disney already made their cash. Same with Lucas, he made a fortune on the PTs for decades, but the consensus pans them now. That's what we're talking about, that dynamic, not the financial one.

Yeah no.. People walked out of cinemas unable to comprehend what they'd just watched.

I really don't think this happened on any sort of scale. Almost everyone enjoyed them on first watch.

I really don't think this happened on any sort of scale. Almost everyone enjoyed them on first watch.

TPM perhaps because of the euphoria of there being a new SW movie, but AOTC definitely not.

I remember everyone loved TPM when it released. Audiences and critics. Maybe some critics write bad reviews back then but I can't remember any or how widespread the criticisms were as it seemed the majority was definitely loving it.

No, critics were pretty mixed. David and Margaret at the time had quite a bit to say, especially Margaret but David ultimately gave it 3.5 out of 5 but did seem reluctant. Jar Jar was universely panned.

I think some opinions were guarded due to the belief that it'll all make more sense when Episode 2 came out. A bit like Spiderman and X-Men where opinions were a bit more reserved until the sequel to each came out and suddenly the originals were praised quite a bit as well with a more fleshed out arc. Problem with Phantom was that its follow up Clones was terrible and so flushed any goodwill Phantom may have had.

The herd can go and get ****ed. That's an extremely stupid way to critique a movie.

Did you enjoy watching it the first time, and the few times after that? If so then it's a good movie. To be going back and retrospectively comparing it to newer movies, as well as saying 'well i enjoyed it a lot but reasons unrelated so now i dont', is just dumb.

David and Margerat were to fixated on the effects. David banged on about it not having enough puppets despite forgetting that the Yoda puppet in TPM was bad, and a lot of the OT's ones haven't aged well either.

Sent from mTalk

TPM perhaps because of the euphoria of there being a new SW movie, but AOTC definitely not.

I remember people being hyped about the Yoda fight with Dooku in a similar way to the Vader scene in R1. People were also relieved at the move away from Jar Jar. The common person maybe didn't love the movie but I don't remember people my age bagging it (I was 18 at the time AOTC came out).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back