Discussion State League Guernseys

Remove this Banner Ad

Allied Waste was on the back of our SANFL jumper last year too.

it was blank for a couple rounds, i wanna say by like round 5 or 6 Allied was on board

it looks like hes just wearing the 2023 jumper. not sure if there is a change for 24.

Yes we had one a couple years back, it was an awkward gap for the entire season last year.
As far as I can tell the only standard logo placement across the board in the SANFL is the SANFL logo (including league sponsor) and it's just a complete cluster* where the clubs place logos wherever they feel like.

Today is the VFL's Victorian standalone club practice match carnival with this year's edition being played in Frankston. The inaugural carnival last year was held at the neutral site of Highgate Recreation Reserve in Craigieburn and it's a pretty solid initiative. I got to attend last year's iteration, but I unfortunately couldn't make it to today's. Time to share the jumper matchups and any changes to the uniforms that I've noticed.

Port Melbourne vs Williamstown
1709357611575.png
Pretty standard matchup here for these two clubs. Williamstown's clash jumper looks to be the same as last years, even in terms of the sponsors if I'm not mistaken. Port Melbourne are sporting a couple of changes from last year given it's their 150th season. As mentioned previously, the 150 years monogram is above the VFL logo but the back has a few more changes. There's no blue number panel anymore which I don't see as an upgrade or a downgrade, both are equally good. With the monogram appearing on the front of the jumper, they've removed the white monogram from the tramp stamp position which is good. Another thing worth noting is the red stripes on the side. As is often the case, this will vary based on the size of the jumper, I've compared with video from last season and Anthony Anastasio's (left) jumper has far more of the red appearing now than it did last year. Finally, Port are now sponsored by the Plumbing and Pipe Trades Employee Union and have added their logo above the number which I'll attach. Because their logo is a circle and there's no horizontal layout to use, the number has had to be moved lower. I'm glad the AFL clubs have sponsors whose logos actually fit horizontally.
1709358304598.png

Frankston vs Northern Bullants
1709358378628.png
With Frankston hosting the carnival it's no surprise that they're in the home kit here. What does surprise me though is that the Bullants went with the white kit today. I'd say red and white feature equally prominently on the Frankston kit, so it's not like the Bullants home jumper would have clashed. I suppose there's more contrast between black and white though so maybe it makes sense, but red would've looked better. Frankston are still wearing the same home jumper as last year and I'm not particularly a fan of the red shoulder panels. Northern's sponsorship is an interesting one though. Ray White have been elevated to the jumper filling what was previously empty. Last year they only had ADS Australia on the front of the home and the back of the clash which seems unnecessary if there's only one sponsor, and for how little they need to wear the clash (away vs Sydney, Gold Coast, Coburg and no one else I believe). Given ADS is in the same spot on this year's clash we'll probably see Ray White on the back of the home jumper, and maybe some more usage of the clash jumper in matches where they ordinarily might not need to wear it. Unlike all the other clubs as well, they're using a non-AFL font for their numbers which I think is the old font the VFL was using quite a while ago.
1709358905331.png

Werribee vs Coburg
1709359253023.png
Finally, we see the current and former Tigers of the VFL in a uniform matchup that's a little unorthodox but not a clash by any means as both teams are wearing their clash jumpers and one (or both) wearing home shorts. Werribee are listed as the home team so Coburg probably packed this kit in anticipation of Werribee wearing full home, and Werribee probably packed the yellow jumpers because why not really? This match is still being played as I type this so there aren't a lot of photos to go off, but I believe Werribee have a new sponsor above the numbers, Oz Equipment Hire taking over from Wyndham City. Coburg definitely have a change of sponsors on the back of the jumper though, with the Parkview Function Room (located up the top of the grandstand at Piranha Park) replacing Johns Lyng Group under the number. As for Coburg's red shorts, I'll be interested to see if that will be worn with the home kit this season. It was brought in as a once off against North Melbourne last year for a past players day (hence the VFA decal down the side) but was met with overwhelmingly positive feedback so the club asked for permission to wear them for the last three home games which the VFL allowed. I'm sure the club wants to wear them at home next season, but I have no idea if the VFL has allowed that for a permanent change. Personally I'm a big fan of the idea so I'm hoping it gets approved. The Champion Data stats guys almost always refer to Coburg as "red" when calling the stats so it actually ends up being that little bit more practical funnily enough.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Looks like the Eagles wore a heritage guernsey today in round 1 of the SANFL. First half they wore a West Torrens 1955-1970 replica. Inverse of the jumper for the second half looks like a 64-67 Woodville jumper.View attachment 1943088View attachment 1943089

Haha wtf. Taking the pre-merger history to new heights. How can the league possibly tick off a team intentionally wearing two different jumpers in the same game?!

Haha wtf. Taking the pre-merger history to new heights. How can the league possibly tick off a team intentionally wearing two different jumpers in the same game?!
Not the first time they’ve done it, so I guess the SANFL is cool with it. The SANFL is pretty fortunate that there aren’t too many clashes amongst the home jumpers in the league and they probably make sure that WWT wear it against a team they share zero colours with. Could be pretty ugly against Glenelg or something. Personally I think it’s pretty cool, I probably wouldn’t want to see Brisbane do it in a game (nor should they given their two parties were from different states) but I think it’s a quirk that works well for a merged side. Significantly reduces the chance of fans of either Woodville or West Torrens getting shitty about it not being their side’s jumper getting worn, and if they wanna crack the shits about which half their team’s jumper is worn in then you’ll never be able to please them.

Unrelated to that, Coburg wore Blue shorts today rather than red. Game was against Williamstown so it wouldn’t have been to do with any sort of clash. Maybe it was because the game was at Highgate Reserve rather than Piranha Park, but sadly doesn’t look like it’ll be a permanent move. Hopefully it does make at least one appearance this year though 🤞🏼

Remove this Banner Ad

Back