Stats observations

Remove this Banner Ad

2015 - Fremantle is unbeaten after 9 rounds and then hosts Richmond at Subiaco. Richmond causes big upset by inflicting Fremantle's first loss for the season.

2016 - Fremantle is winless after 8 rounds and now hosts Richmond at Subiaco. Can't help but think karma will result in Freo having its first win on Saturday night.

North Melbourne and Carlton's contest this weekend is just two weeks shy of 40 years since the famous Malcolm Blight after the siren goal at Princes Park. Interestingly, including that match, three of four encounters between the two clubs over 1976/77 resulted in contests decided by less than a goal.
1976, Round 10: Carl 11.10 (76) NM 11.15 (81)
1976, Preliminary Final: NM 10.7 (67) Carl 9.12 (66)
1977, Round 8: Carl 8.17 (65) NM 9.8 (62)

Among the 4 & 5 club players, there has never been one to have played senior AFL football for teams in 4 different states.

Dale Kickett and Adrian Fletcher are the only 5 club players in recent times, with Kickett playing for 2 WA teams (WCE & Fremantle) and 3 Victorian Clubs (Fitzroy, St Kilda and Essendon). Adrian Fletcher, interestingly twice a team-mate of Kickett at St Kilda in 1992 & Fremantle from 1998-2001, played for two Victorian Teams (Geelong & St Kilda), two Queensland teams (Brisbane Bears & Lions) and one WA team (Fremantle).

Of the 4 club players, 3 have represented AFL clubs in 3 different states. These are Scott Cummings (Vic - Essendon & Collingwood, SA - Port Adelaide and WA - WCE); Ben Hudson (SA - Adelaide, Qld - Brisbane Lions, Vic - Collingwood & Bulldogs) and Stuart Wigney (Vic - Bulldogs & Richmond, NSW - Sydney Swans, SA - Adelaide).

There are plenty of 3 club players who played for clubs located in 3 different states, such as Alex Ishenko (WCE, Brisbane Bears, Nth Melb); John Hutton (Brisbane Bears, Sydney Swans & Fremantle); Mark Zanotti (WCE, Brisbane Bears & Fitzroy) and Mark Roberts (Sydney Swans, Brisbane Bears & North Melbourne), but never a 4 game, 4 state player.

2015 - Fremantle is unbeaten after 9 rounds and then hosts Richmond at Subiaco. Richmond causes big upset by inflicting Fremantle's first loss for the season.

2016 - Fremantle is winless after 8 rounds and now hosts Richmond at Subiaco. Can't help but think karma will result in Freo having its first win on Saturday night.

Well, so much for my 'prediction' of Fremantle having its first win of the season on Saturday night.

The only "balancing of the universe" that took place is that Freo is now 0-9 after starting 9-0 last year.

Looking at things changing quickly, I also noted that Fremantle played off in the 2013 Grand Final while GWS were 0-17 at one stage before finishing the season 1-21. 2016 certainly looks different for both teams!

This fact has re-invigorated my interest in the AFL of late, because the way things are going if Fremantle do not arrest their slide in the next six rounds when they do play the other stragglers Brisbane and Essendon for the only time in 2016, they could be headed for the first 0–22 season a year after having been 16–2 after eighteen games!

There exist four cases in the past where the last unbeaten club one season has become the last winless club the following season:
  1. St. Kilda began 6–0 in 1907 but were equal-last to win in 1908 at 0–2. The Saints still finished 10–8 and third despite some bad losses in the coldest winter on record — though a winter with a great variety of weather where the Saints did not cope with the wet
  2. South Melbourne began at 6–0–1 in 1914 but were the last winless club at 0–3 after four rounds in 1915. The red and whites did recover partially to 8–8 but this was their worst season between 1907 and 1919.
  3. Melbourne in 1994 began at 5–0 but, suffering from a very tough draw were equal last winless club in 1995 at 0–6 (Collingwood were 0–5–1 and St. Kilda also 0–6 but both won a day before Melbourne did). The Demons finished 12–10 in 1994 and recovered to 9–13 in 1995 (though with a percentage just over 100).
  4. Brisbane in 2010 started 4–0 to be equal with St. Kilda before Melbourne thrashed them by fifty points (while Port downed the Saints in a low-scoring affair by ten) and finished 7–15. In 2011 Brisbane started 0–7, finished 4–18, and were also the AFL’s last winless club in 2014 and 2015 (starting 0–5 both seasons)
None of these remotely parallel what is happening to the Dockers! Only South Melbourne in 1915 was outright in both years, and they were only winless to the fourth round, less than half as long as Fremantle.

Last edited:
Since round 4 this season, Hawthorn has been the team inside the eight with the lowest percentage. Prior to 2016, the last time this was so for the Hawks was in round 2, 2012.

I watch Brisbane and the Gold Coast play every week and recently I have noticed how poor even just their 5m handballs are is it actually that hard?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I dont know where to find it (quickly) so was wondering if someone could do it for me.

When was the last time a crowd finished as an even number dividable by 1000?

I half wouldnt be shocked if it was 40+ years ago when crowds were stated as estimates.

If this is fonud to be true, I question the mathematical likelyhood of this as you'd expect to see 1 every 5 years on average.

And conclude that crowd numbers are faked.

But, without the stats I guess I cant create that conspiracy theory :p

I dont know where to find it (quickly) so was wondering if someone could do it for me.

I half wouldnt be shocked if it was 40+ years ago when crowds were stated as estimates.

If this is fonud to be true, I question the mathematical likelyhood of this as you'd expect to see 1 every 5 years on average.

I've actually answered this somewhere around here in the last week or so, I'll try and track it down!

From the earlier post:- https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/stats-questions.982511/page-199#post-44888450

You were very close, but it was the Rd. 1 clash between those sides the following year that drew 49000 exactly! Also very close to that figure was the attendance (48,888) from the 2009 (Rd. 22) game you mentioned!!

I couldn't come up with a more 'scientific' way of searching for this, so I've checked AFL Tables yearly results pages from 1966 to 2016 (doing a page search for ,000) and this is what I found:-

2010 Round 1 Western Bulldogs vs. Collingwood Docklands Stadium 49,000
1999 Round 20 Port Adelaide vs. Melbourne Football Park 26,000
1987 Round 7 Carlton vs. Geelong Waverley Park 31,000
1966 Round 16 Collingwood vs. North Melbourne Victoria Park 19,000
1966 Round 12 Fitzroy vs. South Melbourne Brunswick Street 7,000

These figures match those from another source I've checked.

1965 has 5 occurrences of x000 and 5 of x500 so presumably up to about that time the figures would not have been so reliable. The two from 1966 may have only been approximate figures as well.

Last edited:
Statistically unlikely, happening every 10 years. (should be 5-6 years)
But for a 1 in 1000 chance? not unplausible.

Guess it's not enough evidence to be calling it a conspiracy :(

Statistically unlikely, happening every 10 years. (should be 5-6 years)
But for a 1 in 1000 chance? not unplausible.

Guess it's not enough evidence to be calling it a conspiracy :(
Curse those two extra people who went to the Geel/Coll '07 PF when the crowd was 98,002!!
It would be interesting to compare how many times a crowd in the last 30 or so years has been *,999, *,001 (or *,002!), with the number of *,000 games.

The Dogs with their 9th behind today means that's the most behinds kicked against the Cats since Round 6!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back