Recommitted Steven May [re-signed]

Will he leave at seasons end?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Barrett gets everything wrong, reports rumours as facts. Three to do with Port Adelaide in recent memory: Hartlett to sign with Richmond/North, signs for 5 years with Port. Lobbe to be traded, Lobbe stays. Schulz to go to Freo, Schulz remains at Port. Basically during trade period on trade radio he was wrong almost always. Whenever something came from his 'source' he got it wrong. He doesn't present his opinions as such, he presents them as fact. So all in all I guess he's rather disliked because people sense how unprofessional his writing is.

Edit: He also reported every club except Hawthorn was after O'meara and even said they'd have no chance of getting him if they got Vickery and Titchell.
Barrett was adamant that Hawthorn was leading the race for Harley Bennell at one stage too.

:thumbsdown:
You have to have a player worth enough to send back. Roughead, Frawley, Rioli Mitchell and O'Meara are the only ones worth enough to get it done with a future first. Hawthorn simply doesn't have currency, and recent poor drafting hasn't helped that cause. Shiels would perhaps be the only one, and that's if May went to them and said its Hawthorn or he walks.

Would love May at Melbourne. Would almost be the missing piece of the puzzle at full back. We have a decent relationship with Gold Coast. If he wants out, I'd think this and next first would be a fair deal.
I'm sorry Tulip but did you, a Melbourne supporter, just make reference to another clubs poor drafting?
Even if you truly mean recent you forgot to mention the low draft picks at our disposal (which actually comes along with a bit of success).
Lets discuss our recent poor drafting...

First pick was 19 - Isaac Smith :thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu:
End of 1st round compo pick traded to North for David Hale :thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu:
Speculative picks 38 and 55 used on Mitch Hallahan and Angus Litherland :thumbsdown::thumbsdown:
Pick 66 - Paul Puopolo :thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu:

Draft picks 24, 46 and 64 traded to Adelaide for Jack Gunston and picks 53 and 71 :thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu:
Draft pick 33 - Bradley Hill :thumbsu::thumbsu:
Draft pick 38 - Jordan Kelly :thumbsdown:
Draft pick 53 - Alex Woodward (career ruined by several knee reco's resulting in no judgement)
Draft pick 77 - Luke Breust :thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu:

Traded draft Picks 21 and 43 for Brian Lake and draft pick 27 :thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu:
Draft pick 28 - Tim O'Brien :thumbsdown:
Draft pick 66 - Kaiden Brand - too early to judge. Currently more than content with this selection

Traded draft pick 18 to St. Kilda for Ben McEvoy when we had no 1st ruck - :thumbsu:
Traded draft pick 19 to St. Kilda for picks 24 and 59 (5 pick downgrade - no judgement)
Draft pick 24 - Billy Hartung - :thumbsdown:
Draft pick 38 - Dayle Garlett - :thumbsdown::thumbsdown: (would have been 3 thumbs down if it was a higher pick)
Draft pick 56 - James Sicily - :thumbsu:
Draft picks 59 and 71 used on rookie promotions Jon Ceglar and Will Langford

Brought in free agent James Frawley - :thumbsu:
Traded draft picks 19 and 40 to GWS for Jono O'Rourke and pick 43 - :thumbsdown::thumbsdown::thumbsdown:
Draft pick 31 - Daniel Howe - too soon to judge but comfortable at this stage
Draft pick 49 - Teia Miles - Debut's tomorrow

Lost Matt Suckling to the Bulldogs under free agency
Traded Jed Anderson, picks 38 and 40 to North Melbourne for pick 15 and 55 - :thumbsu:
Draft pick 19 (was 15 before zone selections) - Ryan Burton - :thumbsu::thumbsu:
Draft pick 22 - Kieran Lovell - too soon to judge
Draft pick 44 - Blake Hardwick - too soon to judge

Sam Mitchell, Jordan Lewis, Bradley Hill out along with all the well know draft picks - Jaeger O'Meara, Tom Mitchell and Tyrone Vickery in - A good long term move. Hill wanted to go home and the other two won't play past 2018. O'Meara and T. Mitchell will be 8-10 year players for us and are direct replacements for S. Mitchell and Lewis.
I'm sensing that I will be giving this move more than 1 thumb up in the next handful of years but we can't pass judgement for at least 6 months.

To say that Hawthorn have "not drafted well recently" is one of the biggest myths going around in AFL circles.
I would argue that our recruiting department has done a darn good job with the draft picks they have had at their disposal recently.
Many opposition supporters forget that we have enjoyed a long period of success now and haven't been able to fast track our kids with significant senior game time that they would no doubt receive (and possibly receive more so than earn) at other clubs.

As you can see above, we have not had one pick inside the first round (top 18) in at least the last 7 national drafts. All picks outside the first round (and even higher than that) should always be deemed speculative picks at best.
Another mention goes to the fact that GWS and the Gold Coast have dominated the draft over the last handful of years and significantly limited ALL clubs access to the most elite talent available in the draft.

I personally will be judging our "drafting" based on what the club does in the next 5 years....not what it has done over the past 5 years when we have not necessarily needed access to high draft picks during the sustained premiership window.

Hawthorn has gone against the grain during the formative years of the expansion clubs by trading in established elite talent rather than drafting it.
3 premierships and 4 grand finals in the last 5 years suggests that NO recruiting department has done a better job with its overall list management strategy in that period other than possibly GWS and the Western Bulldogs who have built 95% of their exciting young lists through the draft and go figure...1 of them won the premiership immediately following Hawthorns 3 peat and both clubs look like they will dominate premiership discussions over the course of the next 5 years or so.

Just pointing out some facts that other supporters may not be aware of when discussing Hawthorn's poor recent draft history as it truly isn't what it seems.

BF never ceases to amaze.

A journo has an exclusive about clubs looking at other clubs players (wow what a revelation) then you get people taking shots at the team the said player is being looked at by.

I'm sorry Tulip but did you, a Melbourne supporter, just make reference to another clubs poor drafting?

Um

Even if you truly mean recent you forgot to mention the low draft picks at our disposal (which actually comes along with a bit of success).
Lets discuss our recent poor drafting...

First pick was 19 - Isaac Smith :thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu:
End of 1st round compo pick traded to North for David Hale :thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu:
Speculative picks 38 and 55 used on Mitch Hallahan and Angus Litherland :thumbsdown::thumbsdown:
Pick 66 - Paul Puopolo :thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu:

Draft picks 24, 46 and 64 traded to Adelaide for Jack Gunston and picks 53 and 71 :thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu:
Draft pick 33 - Bradley Hill :thumbsu::thumbsu:
Draft pick 38 - Jordan Kelly :thumbsdown:
Draft pick 53 - Alex Woodward (career ruined by several knee reco's resulting in no judgement)
Draft pick 77 - Luke Breust :thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu:

Traded draft Picks 21 and 43 for Brian Lake and draft pick 27 :thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu:
Draft pick 28 - Tim O'Brien :thumbsdown:
Draft pick 66 - Kaiden Brand - too early to judge. Currently more than content with this selection

Traded draft pick 18 to St. Kilda for Ben McEvoy when we had no 1st ruck - :thumbsu:
Traded draft pick 19 to St. Kilda for picks 24 and 59 (5 pick downgrade - no judgement)
Draft pick 24 - Billy Hartung - :thumbsdown:
Draft pick 38 - Dayle Garlett - :thumbsdown::thumbsdown: (would have been 3 thumbs down if it was a higher pick)
Draft pick 56 - James Sicily - :thumbsu:
Draft picks 59 and 71 used on rookie promotions Jon Ceglar and Will Langford

Brought in free agent James Frawley - :thumbsu:
Traded draft picks 19 and 40 to GWS for Jono O'Rourke and pick 43 - :thumbsdown::thumbsdown::thumbsdown:
Draft pick 31 - Daniel Howe - too soon to judge but comfortable at this stage
Draft pick 49 - Teia Miles - Debut's tomorrow

Lost Matt Suckling to the Bulldogs under free agency
Traded Jed Anderson, picks 38 and 40 to North Melbourne for pick 15 and 55 - :thumbsu:
Draft pick 19 (was 15 before zone selections) - Ryan Burton - :thumbsu::thumbsu:
Draft pick 22 - Kieran Lovell - too soon to judge
Draft pick 44 - Blake Hardwick - too soon to judge

Sam Mitchell, Jordan Lewis, Bradley Hill out along with all the well know draft picks - Jaeger O'Meara, Tom Mitchell and Tyrone Vickery in - A good long term move. Hill wanted to go home and the other two won't play past 2018. O'Meara and T. Mitchell will be 8-10 year players for us and are direct replacements for S. Mitchell and Lewis.
I'm sensing that I will be giving this move more than 1 thumb up in the next handful of years but we can't pass judgement for at least 6 months.

To say that Hawthorn have "not drafted well recently" is one of the biggest myths going around in AFL circles.
I would argue that our recruiting department has done a darn good job with the draft picks they have had at their disposal recently.
Many opposition supporters forget that we have enjoyed a long period of success now and haven't been able to fast track our kids with significant senior game time that they would no doubt receive (and possibly receive more so than earn) at other clubs.

As you can see above, we have not had one pick inside the first round (top 18) in at least the last 7 national drafts. All picks outside the first round (and even higher than that) should always be deemed speculative picks at best.
Another mention goes to the fact that GWS and the Gold Coast have dominated the draft over the last handful of years and significantly limited ALL clubs access to the most elite talent available in the draft.

I personally will be judging our "drafting" based on what the club does in the next 5 years....not what it has done over the past 5 years when we have not necessarily needed access to high draft picks during the sustained premiership window.

Hawthorn has gone against the grain during the formative years of the expansion clubs by trading in established elite talent rather than drafting it.
3 premierships and 4 grand finals in the last 5 years suggests that NO recruiting department has done a better job with its overall list management strategy in that period other than possibly GWS and the Western Bulldogs who have built 95% of their exciting young lists through the draft and go figure...1 of them won the premiership immediately following Hawthorns 3 peat and both clubs look like they will dominate premiership discussions over the course of the next 5 years or so.

Just pointing out some facts that other supporters may not be aware of when discussing Hawthorn's poor recent draft history as it truly isn't what it seems.
Well ok then!

Why is everyone liking this post wtf
For me.it was respectful of a very good player and was frank. I suspect we all feel the same way. For me it was even better there was no B/S about how his girlfriend wants to come to Melbourne or similar.

^^^^^^^^^

Melbourne supporters are cute.

On topic I think May will stay but no harm in asking the question.
I think you will be hardly pressed to find a melbourne supporter who doesnt admit we got very little right between 07 and 12.

Yet i find it really amusing that opposition supporters constantly bring it up as if we actually did the drafting ourselves or we arent aware of itb

Sent from my SM-P555 using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Every passing week will make suns fans nervous. This guy should've been locked up way before they gave him vice captain.
You mean .... Captain..!
Hawks is last place he'd go especially after spraying O'Meara in front of players when he finally announced that he was leaving........as word goes

Last edited:
Not sure that would be on his mind when it comes to where he wants to play winning footy and the business side $$
Other clubs have money too - if that's the issue ...including Suns.
Just watch his actions toward O'Meara this weekend...I'd keep well away from May if I was Omeara...

Back