Roast Stevic and co - all anti-Swans conspiracies within

Remove this Banner Ad

How so?
Umpiring is by definition discretionary.
Free kicks will always be at the discretion of the umpires.
Some rules would have more discretion involved than others. For instance, there are very few incorrect out of bounds on the full decisions called as its a clear cut write or wrong decision.

Some rules would have more discretion involved than others. For instance, there are very few incorrect out of bounds on the full decisions called as its a clear cut write or wrong decision.

OOF is one of those where it is a question of fact not rule. The umpire doesn't decide if the ball went out on the full or not, the facts are the determinant. The umpires judgment doesn't supersede the fact.
All of the the rules were are discussing as part of our umpiring conspiracy are questions of rule not fact. The umpire has to decide if the rule has been breached or not.
The umpires judgment can supersede the fact.

OOF is one of those where it is a question of fact not rule. The umpire doesn't decide if the ball went out on the full or not, the facts are the determinant. The umpires judgment doesn't supersede the fact.
All of the the rules were are discussing as part of our umpiring conspiracy are questions of rule not fact. The umpire has to decide if the rule has been breached or not.
The umpires judgment can supersede the fact.
Hence make the rules more fact-based. If it's incorrect disposal pay a free kick regardless of whether it came or was knocked out in a tackle, if it goes out of bounds and no team mate is in the area pay deliberate, no need for so many contextual factors to go into it that require an umpire's interpretation. If the umpire gets it wrong the decision gets properly scrutinised as there's less of a grey area. This should help reduce inconsistent applications of rules from game to game.

Bullshit in the back stops a certain goal, leads to 12 point swing where they don't call a shepherd. Sicily drops it cold with plenty of prior directly in front, no call. Gunston holding and gets a free.

4 goal difference and it's only half time.

Bullshit in the back stops a certain goal, leads to 12 point swing where they don't call a shepherd. Sicily drops it cold with plenty of prior directly in front, no call. Gunston holding and gets a free.

4 goal difference and it's only half time.
It’s a Disgrace.

Clarkson whinging about us getting away with blocks in defensive 50 allowing Rampe and Grundy to take marks.

When both sides are claiming they were hard done by, that generally means the umpires aren't favouring anyone. It doesn't mean the umpiring is good, but it's something.

Clarkson whinging about us getting away with blocks in defensive 50 allowing Rampe and Grundy to take marks.

When both sides are claiming they were hard done by, that generally means the umpires aren't favouring anyone. It doesn't mean the umpiring is good, but it's something.

Every side blocks

Every side blocks

That's the point, his whinge was about a free paid against the Hawks for a block after a Roughead mark, when other blocks are let go. The lack of consistency in umpiring affects all teams.

Every side blocks
The one that the Hawks were pinged for was just so blatant that they couldn't not pay it. Roughead taking an uncontested mark, surrounded by 8 players, with no one else jumping, is instantly suspicious as f###.

That's the point, his whinge was about a free paid against the Hawks for a block after a Roughead mark, when other blocks are let go. The lack of consistency in umpiring affects all teams.

Just watched, interesting comments

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The one that the Hawks were pinged for was just so blatant that they couldn't not pay it. Roughead taking an uncontested mark, surrounded by 8 players, with no one else jumping, is instantly suspicious as f###.

I didn't pick the best example to illustrate my point. :oops:

I understand your point. Personally thought that the first half was abysmal but no real qualms with the second half.

Hawks fans seem to view the halves the other way :p

We block a lot no denying it. We have some smart use of packs

He's probably just salty, but I think he's right about us being better at it than others though. In a way, the fact that free kicks in AFL are subjective creates opportunities for teams to exploit the rules legally (sort of) knowing they'll get away with it at least some of the time.

He's probably just salty, but I think he's right about us being better at it than others though. In a way, the fact that free kicks in AFL are subjective creates opportunities for teams to exploit the rules legally (sort of) knowing they'll get away with it at least some of the time.

I think he just wants Roughead to get a free next week

It's a tough gig to be umpiring AFL but let's face it, the easiest way to fix a game would be to bribe the umps.
Just 2-3 goals in one direction is enough to make it worthwhile to a big punter.
Going into a tight game that was 50-50, if you knew you had one ump in the pocket, it would tip the balance to make it a worthwhile punt.
Sorry to bring betting into it but corruption and gambling run hand in hand.
I don't believe any players are on the take because a poor performance is so detrimental to their careers. Umpires, maybe, not so much.

2 Consecutive weeks on 2 different grounds using 2 different crews using 2 sets of equipment the swans have had issues getting a score review up before the game gets restarted.

There was a stretch (can't remember if it was the second or third quarter) when Hawthorn went down the wing from one end of the ground to the other, and I swear every contest in that passage was accompanied by a whistle and a free kick to Hawthorn. One or two of them I thought were there, the others I thought 'literally nothing happened there to warrant a free'. To me it felt like momentum frees. Like we gave away the first one or two in that passage, and so then the umpires were on our case at the following few contests looking for anything. It goes both ways. It's happened to us where we've had a quick succession of frees go our way.

I think momentum frees are an umpiring issue in general and Clarkson, the self-assumed advocate for umpiring equality, should focus on umpiring even in wins if that's the route he wants to take. Bringing it up after a loss, and singling out only one-sided examples for his argument's sake, achieves absolutely nothing.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back