mymansyd

Club Legend
Jun 22, 2004
The 'Burbs
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Adelaide
Terry Wallace: "A couple of years ago I would have been prepared to go to Sydney. It's more so they (the Crows) have an interim coach in place who seems to have the support of the whole Adelaide public."

Our man Terry has obviously only been hearing the misinformation and pro-Craig bias from our mindless media. He obviously hasn't had a squizz at our board.

Crows keep Wallace in their sights (The Advertiser - this morning)

http://www.theadvertiser.news.com.au/footy03/story_page/0,8747,10327592%5E25397,00.html

I must say Wallace has disappointed me this week!

He's practically given up on coaching Adelaide because of the crap that he reads and hears coming from our media!

Well Terry, if u give up that quick, its probably best you dont come to the AFC!

Stinks of him playing Hawthorn and Richmond off of eachother...nice tactic!

AFC should look elsewhere now IMO!

Originally posted by Tyson20
I must say Wallace has disappointed me this week!

He's practically given up on coaching Adelaide because of the crap that he reads and hears coming from our media!

Well Terry, if u give up that quick, its probably best you dont come to the AFC!

Stinks of him playing Hawthorn and Richmond off of eachother...nice tactic!

AFC should look elsewhere now IMO!
I agree 110%.

If he is going to believe what media is saying then we are better off without him

Originally posted by Stiffy_18
I agree 110%.

If he is going to believe what media is saying then we are better off without him

On the contrary, I reckon he's right to steer clear of us.

From an outsider's perspective the Adelaide media and supporter base in general must look like inferior, xenophobic, isolated and insular hicks.

Wallace isn't stupid, he knows how influential our one newspaper and FiveAA can be - if they can exert so much support for Neil Craig and therefore control over a captive and for the most part gullible audience during the selection process, imagine what they could do to Plough if he got the job over their beloved Neil and then failed to get results in his first year?

Plough would be dead man walking.

Originally posted by dyertribe

From an outsider's perspective the Adelaide media and supporter base in general must look like inferior, xenophobic, isolated and insular hicks.

Wallace isn't stupid, he knows how influential our one newspaper and FiveAA can be - if they can exert so much support for Neil Craig and therefore control over a captive and for the most part gullible audience during the selection process, imagine what they could do to Plough if he got the job over their beloved Neil and then failed to get results in his first year?

The moment a coach takes any serious note of media and especially The Advertiser, he should quit right away. As a coach you need to be mentally tough not run scared at the first sign of media beat up.

Weak. P|ss weak IMHO.

Wallace isnt' stupid; he knows how to work the media. Having been an insightful and IMO distinquished commentator/journalist I believe this would not impact on his thinking at all.

Wallace wants a club that will work with him; lets offer him that.
Media speculation in Adelaide is over the top and he would understand that with the background he has had over the last 2 years.

Wallace IMO is the man to take the Club to the next echelon.
Innovative, forward thinking with an excellent persona for being able to relate and INSTRUCT his personnel. Also the bleeding media in this State that seems intent on keeping Neil Craig as coach of the AFC.:mad:

Originally posted by Stiffy_18
The moment a coach takes any serious note of media and especially The Advertiser, he should quit right away. As a coach you need to be mentally tough not run scared at the first sign of media beat up.

Weak. P|ss weak IMHO.

That's your opinion and you're well entitled to it - but history has shown that if you value your career and the emotional wellbeing of you and your family, you shouldn't coach the Adelaide Football Club.

The position of AFC head coach has always been a poisoned chalice at the best of times. Right now we're in the middle of the quite frankly ridiculous and embarassing situation of the media loudly pushing the barrow of the current interim coach, who also has a clear and unfair advantage as far as his prospects of taking the job on fulltime go - an advantage cemented the minute the club alluded/commented that he was 'auditioning' for the position.

Instead of looking like the uberprofessional club we are, we look like an amateur-hour act busking along Rundle Mall.

just a question DT, and by no means am i having a go at you or anything...its just a question!

Do you have anything nice to say about the AFC at all???:p

There is a reason why we're called supporters! Its fine to have an opinion, and most of what u say makes sense and i dont disagree at all, but your EXTREMELY negative of late! :D

Again it isnt a pot shot at u or anything, merely an observation! :)

Originally posted by rainmage
Wallace isnt' stupid; he knows how to work the media.

Exactly my sentiments - and it's for this reason he'd fully understand the power of the media and it's ability to influence the opinions of the Adelaide Football Club supporter base.

Look at all those fans out there right now who are still on the Craig-train! It's ridiculous - but where do you think the majority of their ideas came from?

Wallace knows only too well that the media can assist in making or breaking a coach's prospects - this happens in Melbourne with its many papers, radio stations and clubs - the situation is only magnified here in Adelaide with its one newspaper and one or two influential radio stations.

That's your opinion and you're well entitled to it - but history has shown that if you value your career and the emotional wellbeing of you and your family, you shouldn't coach the Adelaide Football Club.

The position of AFC head coach has always been a poisoned chalice at the best of times. Right now we're in the middle of the quite frankly ridiculous and embarassing situation of the media loudly pushing the barrow of the current interim coach, who also has a clear and unfair advantage as far as his prospects of taking the job on fulltime go - an advantage cemented the minute the club alluded/commented that he was 'auditioning' for the position.

Instead of looking like the uberprofessional club we are, we look like an amateur-hour act busking along Rundle Mall.
I have no disagreements with what you are saying BUT coaching in general is a stressful and emitional career. Now if he is as passionate and keen as he claims to be then he would be keen to coach and it wouldn't matter if its Adelaide.

I will never forget what Kane Johnson said on one of his interviews with KG and Cornesy. He basically said that he found media in Adelaide unbearable when the going got tough and thought it would be easier in Melbourne. Funnily enough he said the media is just as brutal in Melbourne as it is here and its only a perception that Adelaide media are worse.

No matter where Wallace coaches next he will be scrutinised if things get tough.

If he can't handle the heat, he should get out of the kitchen.

The position of AFC head coach has always been a poisoned chalice at the best of times.

As opposed to the mega-stable, long term career option that Punt Road presents?

Or the magnificent alternative at Glenferrie - financially struggling, a board under siege, and a patchwork administration?

just a question DT ... Do you have anything nice to say about the AFC at all???:p

There is a reason why we're called supporters! Its fine to have an opinion, and most of what u say makes sense and i dont disagree at all, but your EXTREMELY negative of late! :D

If you go back over match threads and votes threads from late last year when we were starting and continuing our slump following the victory over West Coast at Subi in Round 19, I was arguably the most positive person on the board in regards to our prospects... hell I even went on to tip us (seriously) by 8 goals against Brisbane in the Semi Final - going further back to 1997 when I was a lad I boasted (again seriously) to my schoolmates that "the Crows would at least make the grand final" following our 50 point win over the Bulldogs at Optus Oval in Round 5 or 6.

However, there is a bigger picture here and one that has been emerging for the past couple of years - I think I've said in the past that it was since the 2002 Preliminary Final but in some facets beyond that - clearly many at the Adelaide Football Club simply don't have a clue and need to be replaced.

Now, we can't do this as we're not a democratic club - so until certain club officials and board members choose to move on we're stuck with them.

Clearly our list wasn't up to scratch prior to this season - and appalling decisions like the 2002 Carey trade, the non-elevation of Parker, the relisting of Skipworth, the lack of activity at 2003 tradeweek, et al were largely to blame. Yet the club still came out and against every outsiders opinions rested on its laurels and loudly boasted that we were "a top four club" when we clearly weren't. Excuses and ifs and buts were wheeled out like "if Stevens and Carey stay fit" and "if Goodwin, Bode and McLeod regain their form"... you can't rely on things like that to back up ludicrous boasts - especially when 15 other AFL clubs would've been thinking along the exact same lines in regards to improvement, form and injury.

The same men who made these woeful decisions and boasts - minus Gary Ayres who has clearly been scapegoated after being setup for a massive fall - are still there. Depending on how much blame you wish to apportion, you can still safely label the following as accomplices to our current mediocrity: Steven Trigg, Bill Sanders, John Reid, Neil Craig, Mark Mickan, Peter Curran, Darren Jarman, James Fantasia, et al.

I used to have maximum faith in the Adelaide Football Club and its decision-making processes, despite the odd lapse in judgment such as the Modra-trade which followed on from allowing Blight to be deified, and thus made virtually infallible.

Today however, following a long series of costly swings and misses - the preseason inactivity and subsequent boasts, the Clarke trade, the Bode trade, the drafting of Angwin, the Carey trade and the current confusing and amateurish 'selection process' to appoint a new senior coach - I've now lost complete confidence in the board and those running the club, and I know I'm not alone in my sentiments.

The powers that be at West Lakes have allowed us to slip into a static mediocrity that shows no signs of abating - and there are also no signs of those responsible for this criminality being made accountable.

This is why I'm so "negative."

edit: typo

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The position of AFC head coach has always been a poisoned chalice at the best of times.

i think replace 'AFC head coach' with AFL head coach, and your on the money! Gee whiz, we're not the only ones to replace our head coach!

yeah "some" of our supporters dont cover themselves in glory, but the key word there is "some!"

fact is, being an AFL head coach isnt easy! no matter what club your coaching! just because we dont hear about it here in Adelaide, doesnt mean that other coaches havent copped it in the media etc in their home states, or from their supporters!

Right now we're in the middle of the quite frankly ridiculous and embarassing situation of the media loudly pushing the barrow of the current interim coach, who also has a clear and unfair advantage as far as his prospects of taking the job on fulltime go - an advantage cemented the minute the club alluded/commented that he was 'auditioning' for the position.

Well said DT.

The way that Adelaide have conducted this pathetic process can only ever lead to one appointment - their mate Neil.

We have one genuine footy station - 5AA, which is aligned to 3AW, and one newspaper. The "Throthing Four' of McDermott, Rowe, Aiston and Rucci have praised Craig for every insignificant or irrelevant thing possible, while parroting away that Craig must get the job, or does have the job.

You would have to be a very brave candidate to think that you had any chance of usurping this piece of nepotism. The wise ones won't even bother.

At the end of the day, Craig will be appointed to the position of AFC coach, not on his merits, but on default.

And to some of you out there, in future games when Craig is outcoached, please don't come on this board whining about it. You will have got what you deserve.

Originally posted by marvin
As opposed to the mega-stable, long term career option that Punt Road presents?

Or the magnificent alternative at Glenferrie - financially struggling, a board under siege, and a patchwork administration?

Regardless of the situations at Punt Rd and Glenferrie, the Adelaide job is still a poisoned chalice at the best of times.

Regardless of the situations at Punt Rd and Glenferrie, the Adelaide job is still a poisoned chalice at the best of times.

You can't disregard the situations at Punt Road and Glenferrie - they are Wallace's options if he wants to coach. If he is put off by the "poisoned chalice" that is Adelaide, he would be equally put off by the "poisoned chalice" that is Richmond or Hawthorn.

You've not been to many footy games if you think Adelaide fans have a mortgage on being inferior, xenophobic, isolated and insular hicks.

Everything u wrote, i dont disagree with! There is no question at all, that some of the decisions made by the powers that be down at West Lakes havent been well thought through, and the gambles havent all come off...but IMO it isnt all doom and gloom! There are some positives and being a seemingly smart guy, you can surely see them as well...

i did say you were being negative "of late" and its obvious you have become disillusioned with the powerful people down at the club!

and the current confusing and amateurish 'selection process' to appoint a new senior coach...

i do think that is an unfair comment. How can it be confusing? how many times does Steven Trigg have to tell people of the process that they are going through. What does Trigg say that makes people confused, and why is he so unbelieveable??

and any sub-committee with Wayne Jackson on it couldnt be seen to be amateurish!

You can't disregard the situations at Punt Road and Glenferrie - they are Wallace's options if he wants to coach. If he is put off by the "poisoned chalice" that is Adelaide, he would be equally put off by the "poisoned chalice" that is Richmond or Hawthorn.

Hawthorn and Richmond are two of ten clubs in Victoria - and they are less high-profile than Carlton, Collingwood and Essendon. Expectations also aren't that high - despite their prior successes in the 70s and 80s, as both clubs have faced extinction in the past and know what it's like to suffer persistent disappointment.

Adelaide FC on the other hand is arguably the primary institution in South Australia - with the head coach's job being arguably the most high-profile employed position in the state. If the team is not performing to expectation public and media opinion is focussed immeasurably on the coach and his performance - and under a glare much harsher than what any Hawthorn or Richmond coach could suffer.

Also, expectations are always unrealistically high and despite enjoying maximum off-field resources and winning 2 Premierships since entering the league in 1991, the coaching attrition has been unusually high, with 3 coaches being sacked and 1 resigning claiming he was "burnt out."

If that's not a poisoned chalice - especially considering the current confusing, biased and bizarre appointment process - then what is?

You've not been to many footy games if you think Adelaide fans have a mortgage on being inferior, xenophobic, isolated and insular hicks.

I never said we have a mortgage on it. But as a collective group we're intimate with the bank manager.

Originally posted by macca23
And to some of you out there, in future games when Craig is outcoached, please don't come on this board whining about it. You will have got what you deserve.

so now people cant have an opinion in the future either :rolleyes:

why would people have gotten what they deserved??? do they choose the coach??? Clearly not...the club does!

if there are people that shouldnt whine it would be Rucci, Rowe, McDermott and Aistion et al...NOT the supporters of the AFC who have no say in who their coach is!

It really astounds me that people have come to think that Craig is "already" signed on the back of 4/5 media people who are obivously beating Craigs drum (for whatever reason). I think it stinks that these media people are shoving their opinions down our throat, however thats all it is, their opinions!

Call me naive, call me what you want, but i think the process is being done correctly, and professionally, for the betterment of the AFC!

i do think that is an unfair comment. How can it be confusing? how many times does Steven Trigg have to tell people of the process that they are going through. What does Trigg say that makes people confused, and why is he so unbelieveable??

and any sub-committee with Wayne Jackson on it couldnt be seen to be amateurish!

It is confusing and it is amateurish.

On the one hand you have a candidate who the club has already stated/alluded is "auditioning" for the job by his performances so far - Trigg himself came out and said he would sit in the coaches box at the Gabba to see how Craig performed on matchday.

Are Terry Wallace, Rodney Eade and Gary O'Donnell going to get the same opportunity to "audition"? No. So immediately the process is biased towards Craig because he is receiving an unfair opportunity to further his case for the position that other candidates aren't receiving.

Furthermore, Trigg can come out and say all he likes, but obviously the message isn't getting through or isn't believed by the people who matter - the doubting supporters/members and the wider football world. Wallace and Lyon's recent comments support this - and the general belief is Craig has the job regardless.

That in itself says that the selection process is confusing and amateurish - and if you believe that is too harsh then you'd have to agree the process isn't as clear-cut as it could be.

It is confusing and it is amateurish.

On the one hand you have a candidate who the club has already stated/alluded is "auditioning" for the job by his performances so far - Trigg himself came out and said he would sit in the coaches box at the Gabba to see how Craig performed on matchday.

Are Terry Wallace, Rodney Eade and Gary O'Donnell going to get the same opportunity to "audition"? No. So immediately the process is biased towards Craig because he is receiving an unfair opportunity to further his case for the position that other candidates aren't receiving.

Furthermore, Trigg can come out and say all he likes, but obviously the message isn't getting through or isn't believed by the people who matter - the doubting supporters/members and the wider football world. Wallace and Lyon's recent comments support this - and the general belief is Craig has the job regardless.

That in itself says that the selection process is confusing and amateurish - and if you believe that is too harsh then you'd have to agree the process isn't as clear-cut as it could be.

gee whiz blind freddy could see Craig was auditioning for the job, but that doesnt mean he has the job! Its called an audition for a reason...

Wallace and Eade will get ample opportunity to put forward their cases, and being professional career coaches, they'd be insulted if they were asked to audition anyway IMO!

Craig hasnt been a senior coach at an AFL club, and i think its great that he is able to showcase EXACTLY what he is capable of, before the decision is made!

IMO it will make the final decision more balanced...whichever way they go!

so now people cant have an opinion in the future either :rolleyes:

why would people have gotten what they deserved??? do they choose the coach??? Clearly not...the club does!

If you're going to have a bitch about something I posted, at least have the common sense to get it right!! :rolleyes:

What I said was:

"And to some of you out there, in future games when Craig is outcoached, please don't come on this board whining about it. You will have got what you deserve."

Nobody said you can't have an opinion. My comment is addressed to the pro-Craig supporters. If they want to openly support him now when there is no logical or performance based reason to do so, then don't come crying when that person doesn't deliver.

gee whiz blind freddy could see Craig was auditioning for the job, but that doesnt mean he has the job! Its called an audition for a reason...

Argh. The point at hand is Craig gets to audition while Wallace and Eade don't - for instance people like Stiffy still harp on Eade and Wallace's "defensive" gameplans from their previous appointments at Sydney and Footscray, but only Craig has a chance to showcase his ability now - therefore giving him an unfair advantage over the other candidates.

Argh. The point at hand is Craig gets to audition while Wallace and Eade don't - for instance people like Stiffy still harp on Eade and Wallace's "defensive" gameplans from their previous appointments at Sydney and Footscray, but only Craig has a chance to showcase his ability now - therefore giving him an unfair advantage over the other candidates.

as i said, Eade and Wallace would be insulted if they were asked to audition...there results are there for everyone to see, and would only be the basis for part of the recruiting process!

Craig hasnt been in charge of an AFL club, hence he is being given every opportunity to showcase his talents.

makes for a fair and reasonable process IMO!

if Craig is appointed, the club can confidently say that what they saw from Craig impressed them and list off numerous examples! it would work in reverse if he wasnt appointed rather than not give Craig a go at all. I think Neil at least deserved that!

the AFC can point to Eade and Wallaces' coaching records, attitudes etc if they are appointed!

Because its written in the media, and aired on TV, people seem to want to believe it! OK what we hear might not be far from the truth, but id be very suprised if it is the actual story!

I still think Eade is very much in the running, and from what im led to believe was impressed with the sub-committee when he met them!

Wallace, well if he wants to spit the dummy and fall into the trap of believing the crap that is written and said, then thats fine, we dont want him!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back