Vic Survey: Victoria Worst Place in Australia to Do Business

Remove this Banner Ad

Caesar

Ex-Huckleberry
Mar 3, 2005
Tombstone, AZ
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs

Victoria has been ranked as the highest-taxing state with the largest public sector and most red tape, making it one of the hardest places in the country to do business, a damning new report finds.

More than half the national businesses polled said Victoria was the hardest state to do business in. Four out of five said they had difficulty accessing the labour and skills they needed and only 7per cent said the Andrews government was doing a good job of reducing the cost of doing business.
Victoria ranked sixth in labour productivity due to the low output per worker and hours worked, and seventh based on the average number of permits to start a business (the lowest excluding the ACT).
Victoria also ranked last in terms of the largest public service – a five-year average of the population employed in the public sector as a proportion of the total employed population – and more than 80 per cent of respondents said the culture of government regulators was a barrier to doing business.
Not good. What do Victorians think is the best way to fix this?

Subtext, Vic would be better if some clueless dolt like Tim Smith was in charge and he let us do what we want. Honestly business in Victoria has behaved like Sarah Bernardt over the last couple of years, you'd think they were the only ones who were going through all this.

victoria , always been if labor in power , bloat the public service payroll, stifle private business, run up huge debt. its the rinse and repeat cycle down here and always will be because the state is full of lefty nongs who know no better unfortunately

As a blanket rule I oppose 'disincentive' takes like payroll tax so to answer the OP that would be a good place to start.

I'd like more information on the 'permits' required to start a business. I've got my own ABN but apart from proof of personal indemnity insurance that I've been asked about once in 9 years I've never been asked about anything else.

Third highest unemployment rate in the country too, only ACT and QLD are worse
4.2% is hardly bad. As a Dec. figure it was also trending down as we exited the delta lockdown. NSW has a similar trajectory. Prior to delta, Victoria was the state with the lowest unemployment rate (only the territories were lower).

Also unlike NSW, Victoria has one of the best participation rates (only behind NT & WA) and employment to population ratios (only behind WA & both territories) in the country.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You know that if you do a survey absolutely anytime, anywhere about any topic in Australia, somewhere will be the worst, in whatever category you nominate.
There will never ever not be a place which ranks "worst" even if the "survey" is not fundamentally biased in it's points of reference and/or actually constructed to get a certain outcome.

I clicked open all the hyperlinks and couldn't find any of the questions asked or who they asked.

This seems just an opinion piece.

Payroll tax is idiotic.

YOU EMPLOY MORE PEOPLE SO PAY US EXTRA MONEY FOR REDUCING THE WELFARE BURDEN

first tax that has to go during any major reworking of our tax system

unfortunately the states are running out of revenue mechanisms though

Payroll tax is idiotic.

YOU EMPLOY MORE PEOPLE SO PAY US EXTRA MONEY FOR REDUCING THE WELFARE BURDEN
Yep its one of the taxes that was meant to go with the original GST introduction. Unfortunately it's remained to this day due to the negotiations with the Democrats, and no government has been willing to touch taxation reform since.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back