Remove this Banner Ad

Aliir Grundy Smith
Loyd Melican Rampe
Mills Kennedy Heeney
Hayward Franklin Hewett
Papley Reid Jack
Naismith Hannebury Parker

Int* Jones Towers Newman Dawson.

I've probably overlooked someone obviously good.

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app
Hanners is being managed through preseason so hope he makes it to round 1.

Last edited:
Hanners is being managed through preseason so hope he makes it to round 1.
Harley sounded like he expected him to play round 1. Personally I think wait until round 10 if that's how long it takes for him to be right as rain. It's great to have a few players relatively fresh come finals.

Positive words from Horse about Aliir. I'd expect that should he stay fit during the preseason he'll be in our best 22.

http://afl.com.au/news/2018-01-30/longmire-flags-unlikely-tippett-replacement
I like Horse's thinking. I've never felt entirely confortable with Aliir as a key post in the back six. The defence needs to employ structure first and rebound second. Too often he was found wanting on the structure. Whether that's a lack of discipline or an over-eagerness to go on the offensive I think it's been shown that the defence must act as a well rehearsed unit to be effective. That's why Macca is so important as he acts as the organiser of the defence.

In the role of a mobile ruck Aliir could be very effective playing both ends of the ground. He's got a got a good grounding in defence but doesn't need to be a key post. His ability to intercept, run, carry and apply offensive skills are better than most ruckmen around the ground. He's shown he's a good attacking option and this role could allow him to use this to his best ability. Effectively he'd be an onballer who can pop up in a number of roles. Hard to match up on if he goes forward but equally useful to fill a gap in defence (in lieu of Reid) when needed.

It'll be interesting to see how his roles pans out. I hope we can really get the best of him this year. Of course, a lot is going to depend on his attitude to the challenge. He's not going to be handed a role in the team without a weight of expectation to go with it. There are too many eager bodies crying out for a chance.

I like Horse's thinking. I've never felt entirely confortable with Aliir as a key post in the back six. The defence needs to employ structure first and rebound second. Too often he was found wanting on the structure. Whether that's a lack of discipline or an over-eagerness to go on the offensive I think it's been shown that the defence must act as a well rehearsed unit to be effective. That's why Macca is so important as he acts as the organiser of the defence.

In the role of a mobile ruck Aliir could be very effective playing both ends of the ground. He's got a got a good grounding in defence but doesn't need to be a key post. His ability to intercept, run, carry and apply offensive skills are better than most ruckmen around the ground. He's shown he's a good attacking option and this role could allow him to use this to his best ability. Effectively he'd be an onballer who can pop up in a number of roles. Hard to match up on if he goes forward but equally useful to fill a gap in defence (in lieu of Reid) when needed.

It'll be interesting to see how his roles pans out. I hope we can really get the best of him this year. Of course, a lot is going to depend on his attitude to the challenge. He's not going to be handed a role in the team without a weight of expectation to go with it. There are too many eager bodies crying out for a chance.
If he goes in the ruck he should model his play around a two time Brownlow medalist. Pretty sure we have one somewhere in the archives.

B - Aliir - Grundy - Smith
HB - Lloyd - Melican - Rampe
C - Jones/mills - Kennedy - Hanners
HF - Hayward - Franklin- Heeney
FF - Reid - Rohan - Paply
F - inform ruck - Parker - Hewett
Int - Macca - Towers - KJ
The other thing is you make no choice of ruck and you only have three interchange out if four. Who is your ruck and who is the fourth interchange?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nope what does that is the conviction of Longmire and the coaching staff.

It is a particularly odd scientist who constantly repeats the same failed experiment without examining purpose, ingredients and process.

Hey guys looking forward to an all sydney GF this year? :p
I am interested in where you guys see Hayward and Florent playing this year?
Both to play forward this year or do they have the potential for periods in the midfield? Hayward had a great year and he should back that up

Both to play forward this year or do they have the potential for periods in the midfield? Hayward had a great year and he should back that up
Happy to have an all Sydney GF, but do you reckon you guys can make it and join us on the biggest stage? :)

When you realise that Hayward played the entire season as an 18yo and came off a limited preparation, it puts in perspective just how good he was. Whilst I reckon he'll end up on a wing, barring injuries, the pressure for midfield spots is so hot this year that I reckon Hayward will play as a half forward again.

Florent will be a little further down the pecking order IMO and may see less action this season than last where we were decimated by injuries.

Happy to have an all Sydney GF, but do you reckon you guys can make it and join us on the biggest stage? :)

When you realise that Hayward played the entire season as an 18yo and came off a limited preparation, it puts in perspective just how good he was. Whilst I reckon he'll end up on a wing, barring injuries, the pressure for midfield spots is so hot this year that I reckon Hayward will play as a half forward again.

Florent will be a little further down the pecking order IMO and may see less action this season than last where we were decimated by injuries.
Dear Wayne, Hayward was recruited, not as a winger, but to kick goals. This I'd because the kid is so damnable dangerous as a forward. He's a natural forward. He makes the most of nearly every opportunity.

This is a kid that kicked 9 goals in an U18 Prelim and backed it up with 4 out of 7 in the GF. It certainly wasn't his fault they lost you can blame Toby Pink for that he kicked the winning point for the opposition.

Will kicked 33 goals in 9 games an average of nearly 4 goals a game. I'm sorry but I don't see the point of taking a potential match winning forward and wasting him on the wing. We have plenty of wingers we don't need him there. We need him kicking goals. Once Bud, Will, Reid, Paps, Rohan all gel we will have a formidable forward line, even better I might venture that the Hawks unit and they wee the best I have ever seen.

All Sydney GF ? That'd be nice if we have enough fit players to make up two teams. Maybe Hayward in Swans A and Florent in Swans B team.

If he goes in the ruck he should model his play around a two time Brownlow medalist. Pretty sure we have one somewhere in the archives.
I hoped something like that but I thought it blasphemous to mention Aliir in the same breath as the great one. That's a step too far in expectation. I believe Aliir could be good but not THAT good. Still, even half as good would be huge.

I hoped something like that but I thought it blasphemous to mention Aliir in the same breath as the great one. That's a step too far in expectation. I believe Aliir could be good but not THAT good. Still, even half as good would be huge.
I said model his play.
Not replicate ...

Not sure an Adam Goode strikes twice in a lifetime.

Hayward had a great year and he will only be better this year and with Papley one of them should be able to get over 30 goals this year
who would you have in front of Florent? And for this year would you see him playing some time in the midfield or in the backline?
Plenty of options for the bench spots at the Swans and I think I saw they had scheduled an unofficial trial on the 24 February?

Hayward had a great year and he will only be better this year and with Papley one of them should be able to get over 30 goals this year
who would you have in front of Florent? And for this year would you see him playing some time in the midfield or in the backline?
Plenty of options for the bench spots at the Swans and I think I saw they had scheduled an unofficial trial on the 24 February?

Everyone is ahead of Florent he's not best 22. There are others ahead of him as well that arent best 22.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back