2nds Swans Reserves 2017

Remove this Banner Ad

so giants had 19 on the field to start second half. Umpire did a head count and reset their score. They lost all 4 behinds they had at that point.

Yes the Giants were weak but they have put up reasonable performances lately. I think the score line is definitely more a reflection of the tough professional brand of football that Shaw has drilled into this side. They kept up the intensity for all four quarters despite the game well and truly being over second quarter. You could hear and I mean literally hear the messages from the bench and the players coming on to keep up the standards.

And I'm glad they did his and crushed the Giants as a payback for a similar score line that the Giants had in their favour two years ago when we were the ones playing with a depleted team

Tippett started slow despite starting in the ruck and sharing ruck duties with Cameron about 55-45. Cameron hurt his shoulder early second quarter which meant more ruck time for Tippett. Pink was trialled as his understudy but couldn't get anywhere near the taps against Simpson.

So they moved Aliir into ruck-forward and Pink into Aliir's defensive spot. And while Aliir wasn't amazing at the tapwork aspect of rucking he was electric in open play. There's a touch of the Leo Barrys about it, i.e. I'm excited and scared at the same time because I have no idea what he's doing and most of the time I'm sure he has no idea either.

Tippett Aliir ruck time split closer to 70-30 and this allowed Tippett to get into game with his ruckwork and then later on as a full forward. He was very much the primary focus at this point and even when the Giants started double teaming late on the Swans still kicked it in his direction. Kicked all 3 goals in the third quarter all from set shots.

Florent tasked with tagging Mzungu and followed him everywhere including synchronising their bench time together. Mzungu finished with 19 (he had 30+ last week) so it was a reasonable job made better by his contribution on the offensive end particularly the last quarter. He is a very classy user of the ball. One of the criticisms on him at the moment is his slight build and while this is true I think he is quite strong for his size. Mzungu is a mature experienced AFL player and Ollie had no significant issues tackling or being tackled by Mzungu.

Rohan started as midfielder/half forward and struggled to find touches early on. The move to full forward really sparked his game into life. With plenty of space to work in, his strong leads at great pace caused poor Tim Mohr issues and he was unselfish many times handing the ball off instead of having a shot at goal himself. Hurt himself in the third quarter when he ran at full speed trying to smother a desperate Giant clearing kick right on the goalline. Stayed down for a couple of minutes but played the rest of the game out.

Laidler was excellent today. Theoretically playing in defence but because of the Swans dominance in field position it's better described as a kick behind play around the center of the ground. He collected many intercept possessions due to his excellent reading of the play as he was not afraid to run off his opponent to affect the spoil. His ball use particularly his kicking was spot on today

Dawson kicked 4 goals should have been 5 but missed the easiest of the lot 25m set shot dead in front. Played mostly midfield and is very strong through the core broke many tackles. Played forward near the end when Shaw started shuffling the pieces on the chessboard

Edwards started midfield and finished as a halfback flanker after doing a role swap with O'Riordan for the final quarter. His pace, run and carry really opens up opportunities going forward and his end product, at least today, was good. Murray the other player who provides run off half back although his bouncing let him down today. However his kicking is a real weapon, it has penetration and he generally chooses the right option

Jack had another solid game and he must be praised for better ball use today. Perhaps it was a result of more time resulting from less pressure but he generally lowered his eyes and tried to kick to his teammates' advantage instead of bombing blindly away like he usually does.

Fisher a real accumulator of the footy. Didn't notice him too much in the midfield but has a real eye for goal and is a composed finisher in the forward fifty.

Rose was a peripheral figure for much of the game as most of the Swans attacks were centred on Tippett or Rohan. He looked frustrated at times and gave away a 50m penalty for a late push on a giant who had completed the mark

Foote off a wing, with Fox on the other. Foote first, attack on the ball was strong which reminded me of his strong form last year. Played a part of the game in defence which seems to be an area the coaches are exploring for him. Fox's main strength is his tackling and in and under work so it was a little strange to see him on the wing where he racked up plenty of touches mainly because he had no opponent. He isn't quick and his disposal is average at best so I can't see him continuing on the wing.

Talia and Maibaum mostly untroubled in defence. Talia the more offensive minded of the two, prepared to run to provide an option when we have the ball.

Leonardis again playing forward but didn't impress me too much in this role. There's not enough tricks in his bag to make him stand out as a forward, I feel he isn't very good in close and would be better in an outside role. Could be treading water until the end of the year where he is a candidate for delistment

Pink as mentioned previously moved into defence in the second half and did okay. What really stands out about his game at the moment is his defensive pressure and chasing at speed. In particular there was one passage of play in the middle of the ground where he made third, fourth, fifth efforts and eventually caused the turnover. Longmire seating nearby was quite happy with Pink then.

Finally the new cult hero Ronke. Started on the pine. Came on about 12min into the game. Both goals came from open play where he picked up ground balls before snapping bending kicks between the big sticks. Played as a small forward. Will have to see more of him before making a more concrete judgment but in the short passages today I gathered that he isn't a great kick but but tackles well and is a hard nut. Faded as the game went on and in the last quarter had his right ankle and right hip or buttock iced.

At the start of the second half, before the ball was bounced the umpires called for a head count and worked out the Giants had 19 on the field. Their score was reset (they only had 4 behinds anyway) and the Swans got a 50m penalty. Weird that the NEAFL still has this incredibly harsh penalty when the AFL has done away with it.

Swans 6.1 10.6 18.15 28.17 (185)
Giants 0.0 0.0 1.0 2.2 (14)

Goals: Wicks 4 Dawson 4 Fisher 4 Edwards 3 Tippett 3 Ronke 2 Florent 2 Rohan 2 Jack Laidler Carr Foote
Best: Laidler Florent Dawson Jack Fisher Tippett

Yes the Giants were weak but they have put up reasonable performances lately. I think the score line is definitely more a reflection of the tough professional brand of football that Shaw has drilled into this side. They kept up the intensity for all four quarters despite the game well and truly being over second quarter. You could hear and I mean literally hear the messages from the bench and the players coming on to keep up the standards.

And I'm glad they did his and crushed the Giants as a payback for a similar score line that the Giants had in their favour two years ago when we were the ones playing with a depleted team

Tippett started slow despite starting in the ruck and sharing ruck duties with Cameron about 55-45. Cameron hurt his shoulder early second quarter which meant more ruck time for Tippett. Pink was trialled as his understudy but couldn't get anywhere near the taps against Simpson.

So they moved Aliir into ruck-forward and Pink into Aliir's defensive spot. And while Aliir wasn't amazing at the tapwork aspect of rucking he was electric in open play. There's a touch of the Leo Barrys about it, i.e. I'm excited and scared at the same time because I have no idea what he's doing and most of the time I'm sure he has no idea either.

Tippett Aliir ruck time split closer to 70-30 and this allowed Tippett to get into game with his ruckwork and then later on as a full forward. He was very much the primary focus at this point and even when the Giants started double teaming late on the Swans still kicked it in his direction. Kicked all 3 goals in the third quarter all from set shots.

Florent tasked with tagging Mzungu and followed him everywhere including synchronising their bench time together. Mzungu finished with 19 (he had 30+ last week) so it was a reasonable job made better by his contribution on the offensive end particularly the last quarter. He is a very classy user of the ball. One of the criticisms on him at the moment is his slight build and while this is true I think he is quite strong for his size. Mzungu is a mature experienced AFL player and Ollie had no significant issues tackling or being tackled by Mzungu.

Rohan started as midfielder/half forward and struggled to find touches early on. The move to full forward really sparked his game into life. With plenty of space to work in, his strong leads at great pace caused poor Tim Mohr issues and he was unselfish many times handing the ball off instead of having a shot at goal himself. Hurt himself in the third quarter when he ran at full speed trying to smother a desperate Giant clearing kick right on the goalline. Stayed down for a couple of minutes but played the rest of the game out.

Laidler was excellent today. Theoretically playing in defence but because of the Swans dominance in field position it's better described as a kick behind play around the center of the ground. He collected many intercept possessions due to his excellent reading of the play as he was not afraid to run off his opponent to affect the spoil. His ball use particularly his kicking was spot on today

Dawson kicked 4 goals should have been 5 but missed the easiest of the lot 25m set shot dead in front. Played mostly midfield and is very strong through the core broke many tackles. Played forward near the end when Shaw started shuffling the pieces on the chessboard

Edwards started midfield and finished as a halfback flanker after doing a role swap with O'Riordan for the final quarter. His pace, run and carry really opens up opportunities going forward and his end product, at least today, was good. Murray the other player who provides run off half back although his bouncing let him down today. However his kicking is a real weapon, it has penetration and he generally chooses the right option

Jack had another solid game and he must be praised for better ball use today. Perhaps it was a result of more time resulting from less pressure but he generally lowered his eyes and tried to kick to his teammates' advantage instead of bombing blindly away like he usually does.

Fisher a real accumulator of the footy. Didn't notice him too much in the midfield but has a real eye for goal and is a composed finisher in the forward fifty.

Rose was a peripheral figure for much of the game as most of the Swans attacks were centred on Tippett or Rohan. He looked frustrated at times and gave away a 50m penalty for a late push on a giant who had completed the mark

Foote off a wing, with Fox on the other. Foote first, attack on the ball was strong which reminded me of his strong form last year. Played a part of the game in defence which seems to be an area the coaches are exploring for him. Fox's main strength is his tackling and in and under work so it was a little strange to see him on the wing where he racked up plenty of touches mainly because he had no opponent. He isn't quick and his disposal is average at best so I can't see him continuing on the wing.

Talia and Maibaum mostly untroubled in defence. Talia the more offensive minded of the two, prepared to run to provide an option when we have the ball.

Leonardis again playing forward but didn't impress me too much in this role. There's not enough tricks in his bag to make him stand out as a forward, I feel he isn't very good in close and would be better in an outside role. Could be treading water until the end of the year where he is a candidate for delistment

Pink as mentioned previously moved into defence in the second half and did okay. What really stands out about his game at the moment is his defensive pressure and chasing at speed. In particular there was one passage of play in the middle of the ground where he made third, fourth, fifth efforts and eventually caused the turnover. Longmire seating nearby was quite happy with Pink then.

Finally the new cult hero Ronke. Started on the pine. Came on about 12min into the game. Both goals came from open play where he picked up ground balls before snapping bending kicks between the big sticks. Played as a small forward. Will have to see more of him before making a more concrete judgment but in the short passages today I gathered that he isn't a great kick but but tackles well and is a hard nut. Faded as the game went on and in the last quarter had his right ankle and right hip or buttock iced.

At the start of the second half, before the ball was bounced the umpires called for a head count and worked out the Giants had 19 on the field. Their score was reset (they only had 4 behinds anyway) and the Swans got a 50m penalty. Weird that the NEAFL still has this incredibly harsh penalty when the AFL has done away with it.

Goals: Wicks 4 Dawson 4 Fisher 4 Edwards 3 Tippett 3 Ronke 2 Florent 2 Rohan 2 Jack Laidler Carr Foote
Thank you for great write up.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That is one ultra impressive summary. I am interested in Pink's progress...do you see a future for him. Also the call on Floreant was satisfying...a couple of off seasons and he looks like he could be a real jet.

That is one ultra impressive summary. I am interested in Pink's progress...do you see a future for him. Also the call on Floreant was satisfying...a couple of off seasons and he looks like he could be a real jet.
Pink was selected as a project player and I think he has shown enough to persist with for at least another year. As I've said his defensive game is top notch which is really impressive as Paul Roos has constantly said over the years that the biggest thing draftees have to learn is the defensive side of the game

He's athletic, quick for his size and and can kick the ball a long way. What he needs to improve is his reading of the play, learn where and more importantly when to lead. Also at times it looks like he's short of confidence and doesn't demand the ball when he is the best option available. I imagine that will develop the more games he plays and the more he trains with the senior team

Geez! That was a shellacking and a half! Poor 10 goal first half by the Swans but they stepped up after half time to pile on another 18.

Last edited:
Can't help but feel sorry for Laidler after reading this. He has ticked all the boxes consistently in the ressies and has usually done a solid job when he gets a run in the seniors, despite being a bit slow. But he's going to find it very hard to get back in the team with Rampe back in and Newman and Melican cementing their spots. A fantastic option if we get an injury in the defensive 6 though.

Can't help but feel sorry for Laidler after reading this. He has ticked all the boxes consistently in the ressies and has usually done a solid job when he gets a run in the seniors, despite being a bit slow. But he's going to find it very hard to get back in the team with Rampe back in and Newman and Melican cementing their spots. A fantastic option if we get an injury in the defensive 6 though.

He's a classic journeyman, and I suspect not under any illusions otherwise.

Ridiculous, there is no room for nuance. Horse is either an incompetent hack incapable of a good decision or the livibg embodiment of coaching perfection.

On CPH1607 using BigFooty.com mobile app

This I like. The man is not omnipotent. He is a human being, he just doesn't look like the Elephant Man. Sometimes I think he coaches like him other times I think he coaches like David Parkin. All coaches have their blind spots. Clarkson had his after the 2008 premiership. He insisted on playing the same game style and of course the opposition coaches slowly twigged to what he was doing and the Hawks experienced some beltings. A meeting with the senior players followed and a very honest interaction produced a very different approach. Horse had the same problem in 2011, we were a bit predictable and defensive. Basically no Roos but same old, same old. After a meeting with senior players he changed it up and Sling Shot was born. He used the talents of the players at his disposal.

This year, as much as we have had injuries some other teams have had as many players injured as we have, we tended to go back to the ugly bomb and hope footy that the Swans faithful hate. We have also been playing a zone that has been found out. Now, I watched the pre-season games and Horse had our blokes playing a really good lead up style of footy. Attacking, precision kicking, with lots of out runners as well as in and under types. This looked exciting. The problem is that we have not played that footy up until now. We properly executed it in the last half against both the Saints and Bullies and in parts against Norf. The Brisbane game was won by the sheer fact we were so much more experienced than them that we couldn't lose. If we actually do play this new game plan, come set of tactics, we could be a force to be reckoned with. But the coaches can't turn up on game day and simply go back to same old, same old. If we play that stupid zone again this season we will get flogged, simple.

I have no problem with Horse as a coach in that when he actually performs it is pretty good. Last year being minor premier might seem a huge achievement. But if you look at our draw last season it was pretty soft in the end due to the poor performance of the two WA teams, Richmond etc and the fact we had a lot of lower teams twice. But in saying that we did play well and flogged those teams. But when it came to the most important game of all we made basic mistakes even before the ball was bounced by playing boys who's fitness was doubtful. I keep saying 'you never take a player into a final if there is any doubt on his fitness'. David Parkin, Lethal, Hafey, Norm Smith, Kevin Sheedy all said that one of the secrets of their success when they won premierships was they always took in a fit team. Many of them lament taking unfit players into a GF in other losing years.

Longmire has done a pretty good job at Sydney. But Clarkson worked him out in 2014 and it only took ex Hawks assistants one to two more years to execute that plan too. This year we were beaten by Carlton for goodness sake, a team coached by an ex Hawks assistant. Funny about that. We had not changed to a new game style, used the same old zone and relied far too much, and still do, on Buddy. We need to stop being Buddy centric even more. Sometimes we give Buddy the ball when he is not in the best position to use it well. See Sam Reid v Norf, hands off to Bud who gets caught HTB.

In saying all that if Horse can get this new plan working, and can see his way not going back to the old ways then we are a chance of finals still, a very slim chance. We have some serious talent in the reserves. The way we demoralised a very undermanned GWS seems to be a huge development. I didn't see this match as they moved it too far out for me and Blacktown is difficult for me to get to on public transport. If they had left it at Henson I would have been there with bells on. But the Twitter feed from Swans Reserves was wonderful and basically gave me a blow by blow description of what was happening. Really good and talented teams destroy weaker opposition. This is what they are doing. Mind you they are destroying strong opposition, Sydney Uni. Something that is making me smile is that our reserves score heaps. I wonder if we can copy and paste that to the seniors. Be nice to see 5-10 games of over 20 goals.

As for Aliir. The lad is playing some pretty good footy in the reserves. If he was put back there to improve his defensive side and get him to stay withing 5 metres of his opponent then they have a funny way of going about it. He has been playing a pinch hit role more than back. I believe there is a spot in the Seniors for him even as the team stands. Marsh, as good as he's been, is not in Aliir's league and Aliir can play tall or small. Very soon OI'd like to see him return. But I don't think this will happen in a hurry and he might just exit at the end of the year.

Thank you Grim and thank you so much for the Tweets. It was the only was for me to experience the game as I could not go to Blacktown.

Yo grimlock

Was looking at our players' contract statuses and I was surprised to see James Rose has another year on his contract after 2017. So unless we trade him, we've got him and he doesn't seem to be making much of an impact in his typical forward role. I've seen you say once or twice that you've seen him to be frustrated on the field and his statistics are certainly nothing to write home about of late in the NEAFL.

I believe he has ability, I actually like him as a player - although his game against Carlton this year was awful, last year I really thought he gave us something across HF in his few games in the side. I like his skill and he seems smart as a footballer. Do you think we could see him shifted to play across HB this year as a rebounding defender? It just appears he has stagnated badly and given we have him for another year, why wouldn't Shaw (who appears to be pretty switched on as a coach) move him to defence and give him another way to grow as a player? There's no risk involved, it's beyond worth a shot to me.

There is no doubt he has ability, he is very good one-on-one and can generally finish well. However, he isn't particularly quick and although he does have stints in the midfield in the NEAFL I don't think he's good enough to play there at senior level. He reminds me a lot of Jed Lamb. Basically he has been superseded by Hayward who offers more defensively due to his pace, but can also kick goals.

With regards to the suggestion of playing him at halfback, sure it's worth a try but I'm not sure what he could bring to that position. He won't be the run and carry type that we already have in Murray and O'Riordan and although his kicking skills are good, I'm not sure about his decision making.

There is no doubt he has ability, he is very good one-on-one and can generally finish well. However, he isn't particularly quick and although he does have stints in the midfield in the NEAFL I don't think he's good enough to play there at senior level. He reminds me a lot of Jed Lamb. Basically he has been superseded by Hayward who offers more defensively due to his pace, but can also kick goals.

With regards to the suggestion of playing him at halfback, sure it's worth a try but I'm not sure what he could bring to that position. He won't be the run and carry type that we already have in Murray and O'Riordan and although his kicking skills are good, I'm not sure about his decision making.

I could see him endeavouring to be a HBF in the mould of Christian Salem in terms of a rebounder and his skill (while not being overly quick) or maybe a smaller Harry Marsh or a Lewis Brown kinda guy as a pure defender.

Obviously from those comparisons I'm not predicting he could be an AA player, but I feel like he has too much talent and skill to just flame out in a forward pocket at NEAFL level.

Massacre at Henson park, they should have pushed harder and gone for the double hundred:'(
You are looking good for the premiership this year and although not a consolation to me it indicates that the youngsters on the list are talented and the next 2 years they will step up to be good AFL players
And also a good sign for the coaching of Shaw, is this how second year as the reserves coach? And you don't play any mature age non list players do you? I have seen Dylan Addison on the players list the last few games and if anything similar is happening at the Swans
Also good to see the mystery man Ronke appear on the field, any news on if it was injury or other reasons for him being out the first half of the year?
Good luck for both your teams for the rest of the year (Except when playing the Giants first, second and third teams:p)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back