Win Prizes Swans Strange Quiz or: How I Learned to Stop Yawning and Love the Bye

Remove this Banner Ad

without looking any up or reading the thread, lets see how i go. the "who passed the ball" one looks hard lol.

1. freo, hawthorn, geelong

2. a) disposals) hannebery
b) goals) Mcglynn
c) goal assists) goodies
d) tackles) jack
e) marks) grundy
f) contested marks) pyke
g) clearances) kennedy
h) 1%ers) bolton
i) hitouts) pyke

3) mitchell, lamb, jack

4) I don't know a tonne about reserves (something I might remedy) but I would guess that Towers would have as he's a mature draft pick, Membrey, Dick and Lockyer.

5) a) Hannebery handpass
b) Reid tap
c) No idea.
d) Armfield - one of my favourite Swans moments.
e) No idea.
f) No idea.
g) Okeefe?
h) Cox kick
i) Ball tap?
j) Kirk?
k) Ball tap. I know that Okeefe torpedo'd one of them to him. Another was a hand pass from someone like Kirk where he fended and ran off. Cant remember who for the other.
l) No idea.
m) No idea.
n) No idea.
o) No idea.
p) Kelly
q) Kelly
r) No idea.

5) a) I believe that was Melbourne for 76 points or something like that.
b) Hall and Jolly for Otten mark, not sure about the other.
c) Jack.
d) Melbourne?
e) Its been Shaw for like every year so thats my answer, but it may have been Jetta.
f) No idea lol. I am terrible at player jumpers. Id be guessing if I even said one name.

6) a) Jack/Macca
b) Grundy/Richards
c) Tippett/White
d) Rampe/Johnson
e) Shaw/Kennedy (not many with arms like that)
f) Lrt/Reid
g) Rohan/Jetta

That was fun lol.

I hope everyone had a go and enjoyed it, here are the answers:

Section A: Half-year review
1. Lost to Geelong and Hawthorn, drew with Fremantle

a) Disposals - Hannebery (Total 306 Avg 27.8 2nd is Kennedy Total 294 Avg 26.7)
b) Goals - McGlynn (20 2nd is Goodes 18)
c) Goal assists - Goodes (13 equal 2nd are Jack and McGlynn 11)
d) Tackles - K.Jack (80 2nd is O'Keefe 72)
e) Marks - Goodes (59 which is not even top 50 in the AFL. Swans are the lowest marking side by far. 2nd is Grundy 49)
f) Contested Marks - Pyke (26 I'm sure everyone got this one as we're reminded every week on FOX but sadly Pyke is now 3rd behind Cloke and N.Riewoldt 2nd is Reid 14)
g) Clearances - Kennedy (79 equal 2nd in the AFL behind Liberatore 2nd is O'Keefe 66)
h) One-percenters - T.Richards (82 Some interesting responses here, mostly midfielders, but across the whole competition defenders dominate because spoils count as a one-percenter and there are far more of those per game than blocks or knock-ons. 2nd is Grundy 65)
i) Hitouts - Pyke (279. 2nd is Mumford 248 who missed one game - against Hawthorn - but is also behind on a per average basis 25.4 v 24.8)

3. Dane Rampe, Jed Lamb, Tom Mitchell and Brandon Jack in that order.

4. Jordan Lockyer, Alex Brown, Jake Lloyd and Shane Biggs. Dean Towers and Brandon Jack had played all games up until last week but both were needed in Adelaide (Towers was the traveling emergency). Daniel Robinson, Harrison Marsh and Xavier Richards have also played 9 games as has top-up Jordan Weir

Section B: Memorable Moments
  1. Nick Malceski's 2nd goal 2012 Grand Final v Hawthorn.Dan Hannebery handball
  2. Lewis Jetta runs all the way from the Swans' half back line to the goalsquare for an exciting goal 2012 Preliminary Final v Collingwood.Dan Hannebery handball, previously off Mitch Morton's hands and tapped on by Sam Reid.
  3. Andrejs Everitt marking and launching an accurate 50m kick for the winning goal 2012 Round 13 v Geelong.Alex Johnson kick from the centre square
  4. Trent Dennis-Lane winning a free for a great tackle and goal in the right forward pocket 2010 Elimination Final v Carlton. (Hint: Name the player he tackled)Dennis Armfield
  5. Lewis Jetta's 1st AFL goal, after 19 straight behinds. 2010 Round 20 v Hawthorn.[/b]Marty Mattner kick over the top[/b]
  6. Daniel Bradshaw's after-the-3-quarter-time-siren 60m torpedo from the Brewongle wing 2010 Round 6 v Brisbane.Josh Kennedy kick
  7. Michael O'Loughlin gets to the loose ball in the goalsquare to boot the winning goal followed by an exchange of pleasantries with the West Coast cheer squad 2006 Qualifying Final v West Coast.Nick Malceski kick but Drew Banfield added a helping hand, literally.
  8. Leo Barry "YOU STAR!" mark to save the 2005 Grand Final v West Coast.Dean Cox kick
  9. Amon Buchanan's go-ahead goal 2005 Grand Final v West Coast.Jason Ball tap
  10. Adam Schneider's 3rd goal that made Tim Lane exclaim "And the Swans are into the Grand Final!" 2005 Preliminary Final v St Kilda.Leo Barry kick
  11. Nick Davis' 4th and winning goal 2005 Semi Final v Geelong. (Brownie points if you can provide the answers for his other 3 goals)Jason Ball tap for the 4thThe others were a Jason Ball tap (with a small touch by Amon Buchanan), a long Ryan O'Keefe kick and a very quick Tadhg Kennelly handball.
  12. Barry Hall's after-the-siren goal that put the Swans ahead for the first time 2005 Round 3 Brisbane. (Hint: I will accept either the Swan that kicked it to him or the Lion that gave away the free kick)Leo Barry kick, Chris Scott over the shoulder
  13. Tadhg Kennelly's "That's as good as it gets!" goal where he faked a kick, spun around Chris Johnson and goaled from 50m under pressure from Michael Voss. 2005 Round 20 v Brisbane.Jason Ball handball at CHF
  14. Jude Bolton's "I see it but I don't believe it" goal 2003 Qualifying Final v Port Adelaide. (Note: Anthony Hudson repeated his quote for the Nicky D heroics 2 years later but this was when he first uttered it).Tadhg Kennelly smother
  15. Daryn Cresswell milks a free kick and goals after-the-siren to win the game 2002 Round 5 v North Melbourne. (Hint: Name the Kangaroo that gave away the free kick).Shannon Motlop high tackle
  16. Tony Lockett's 1300th goal which sparked a mass ground invasion 1999 Round 10 v Collingwood.Paul Kelly kick from a OOBOTF free kick
  17. Tony Lockett's after-the-siren point to win the 1996 Preliminary Final v Essendon.Wade Chapman kick
  18. Daryn Cresswell's mark and winning goal just outside the goalsquare 1996 Qualifying Final v Hawthorn.Paul Roos long bomb

Note all these moments are available for viewing on YouTube.

Section C: General Swans Trivia
1. We lost to Melbourne at the MCG by 73 points.
2. Jeremy Howe over Heath Grundy @ SCG (2012). Brad Ottens over Darren Jolly (and a little bit of Barry Hall) @ Stadium Australia (2006).
3. Kieren Jack v GWS
4. Melbourne Round 1 2011 his first game as senior coach.
5. Rhyce Shaw (a little bit of a trick question, I think some might have immediately plumped for Lewis Jetta but he actually doesn't bounce it that much but you tend to remember the occasions when he does. Rhyce, on the other hand, seems to bounce it every 4 steps, a trait that must run in the Shaw genes as brother Heath also rates highly in bounces.)
6. Harry Cunningham #44->#7, Kieren Jack #48->#15, Nick Malceski #40->#9, Ryan O'Keefe #39->#5

Section D: Who can it be now?
1. Kieren Jack's face on Jarrad McVeigh (co-captains)
2. Ted Richards' face on Heath Grundy (defensive lynchpins)
3. Kurt Tippett's face on Jesse White (tall Queenslanders)
4. Rhyce Shaw's face on Josh Kennedy (father-sons from other clubs. Both of their hairstyles are similar so some thought the beard was from the original body and belonging to Malceski, but the giveaway is JPK's shoulders)
5. Sam Reid's face on LRT (no real link here I guess, Sam's face was the only one small enough to fit and not cover LRT's fringe lol)
6. Lewis Jetta's face on Gary Rohan (speedsters, drafted in the same draft).

Note: I put Tim Membrey's face on Luke Parker and they still looked the same.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back