Media Swans Talk in the Media 2022

Our club in the Media

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
A reasonable take that if we don't lose the four games we should have won (including the EF) things could have been very different and that we need to sort out why that happened and overcome it in order to improve.
I have no doubt that Horse is right to focus on contested ball as one issue but I wonder as to the rest.
I was at the Hawks game. We had been using Dawson in particular to kick long over half back which had been working really well. Hawks stationed McEvoy and Ceglar on each side of the ground and choked us. We couldn't outmark them. We seemed to have no plan B. We developed one pretty quickly which worked very well, running the ball out much more, moving McInerney and Blakey back.
That game IMO we were outcoached.
The EF we choked. Two key leaders missing?
The Saints and GC games I don't know.
Every team has off-days, but I found the Freo game (that I attended) & the Hawks game to be the two most worrying, as we were beaten tactically (rather than just being flat or having a bad day).

In both cases, our “Plan A” wasn’t working - but we didn’t find an alternate quickly enough to win the day.

Kiama Chris’ analysis of the Hawks game is spot-on.
And as for Freo - they clogged the corridor & forced us to bomb long into 50. We were rendered impotent. For the whole game.

The biggest risk this year is that more opposition coaches study what made us successful last year (quick ball movement) & find a plan to shut it down - as did Longmuir & Clarkson.

Having said that - Horse is no mug.
In Horse we trust.

Last edited:
Kiama Chris’ analysis of the Hawks game is spot-on.
And as for Freo - they clogged the corridor & forced us to bomb long into 50. We were rendered impotent. For the whole game.
Reminds me of the Saints games as well. Murdered us on turn over on our inside 50s

Tom Harley on Dwaynes World. Talked a bit about the away jersey, captaincy, reinstating COLA (wants it but won't push the AFL about it anymore), possible expansion (Tas), Heeney contract (no issues on his contract extension), intraclub match.

The banner at the top of this thread is off putting and not needed , i keep thinking it's a banner add.
Heard Hanners on SEN today and they were talking about Roughie when he took at Hanners in 14 and now both at St Scum now
Give it up on the banner bashing Bedders. No matter how loud you protest it, it's here to stay.

Now, stop taking Ticksters media thread off topic...

18FEB22: Swans Backline/ZeroHanger
A pretty crap article ranking our defence 12th best.
does identify our lack of KPDs, but suggests 'Swingman' McLean among others will help fill that hole. Also reckons Cunningham will be playing through the midfield a lot. Pretty wrong on both counts. Also no mention of either Blakey or McInerney.

fwiw.. my take on our defence.
  • rank 6th best (purely based on on our points against last year)
  • Well led and organised by Rampe with good support from Cunningham and Lloyd
  • Tom Mac emerging as an elite KPD will have support from one of Melican, Paddy or Reid
  • Cunningham is great on the oppos small forward
  • Lloyd is a great distributor
  • Blakey and McInerney offer great run off half back and both are no slouches with their delivery up the ground
  • Campbell could offer something special with his kicking

A pretty crap article ranking our defence 12th best.
does identify our lack of KPDs, but suggests 'Swingman' McLean among others will help fill that hole. Also reckons Cunningham will be playing through the midfield a lot. Pretty wrong on both counts. Also no mention of either Blakey or McInerney.

fwiw.. my take on our defence.
  • rank 6th best (purely based on on our points against last year)
  • Well led and organised by Rampe with good support from Cunningham and Lloyd
  • Tom Mac emerging as an elite KPD will have support from one of Melican, Paddy or Reid
  • Cunningham is great on the oppos small forward
  • Lloyd is a great distributor
  • Blakey and McInerney offer great run off half back and both are no slouches with their delivery up the ground
  • Campbell could offer something special with his kicking
Every Swans fan knows we need more depth in the key position department but our structure holds us better than the sum of our parts.

just a bit of a comparison between the 3 best small forwards.. Paps wins!!
Interesting comparison. All three terrific players and each offers something a little different. This is much better that Zs most recent silliness. I reckon any club would be happy to have any of the three!
Eddie Betts still the benchmark.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

19FEB22: Dylan Stephens/AFL Website
Dylan Stephens interview

19FEB22: Projected wins lazybits/Fox Sports
don't know what 'goad' means? I liked your post out of some weird kind of respect (if that makes sense?) Its clear you think he should've retired by now, but didn't bite..
cant be bothered doing the homework you've set me.. maybe you could just tell me the answers.
I guess if hes also the greatest EVER clearance attender (I'm assuming you mean stoppages), then to me that shows just how important / reliable / fit / healthy / strong / consistent hes been over his 270ish games.

Clearance and contested ball records are two BIG records to own. JPK has been an absolute legend and will go down in history as such.
My comment was more around his value to the team (especially the young mids) as a teacher and leader

as good as Joey is and has been, with him playing so many mid minutes, it has made us a little one dimensional. Over the last few years the coaches have been trying to change that. You might like to ask yourself; Why would Joey resign from the leadership group? That is a really good indication a player will retire in my opinion. The times comes for every player and I think joey recognises it is time for him. I doubt there will be any re-signing at the end of the year. I think he will take the opportunity to spend more time with his beautiful wife and family. The next chapter begins, whether that be coaching or in another field entirely, I am sure he will be successful.

From the Swans photoshoot
McCartin bros photos.jpg

My weird brain was reminded of Doug Wade commentary:
"The Ablett brothers are hard to tell apart, except although one has a beard"

JPK is a great player but IMO an interesting character as a leader.
Leads totally from the front "follow me" style. OK a lot of the time but not so much if you need to change direction or if someone needs support. Have said this before. Needs Parker and Rampe for balance.
I don't see him as a teacher or coach type, more as an exemplar. "Do what JPK does". Truly professional and incredibly hard working. In that photo I can see Chad thinking "gee I've got work to do to match that level of physicality". Useful for goal setting, but not so much in how to get there.
Totally love the guy and think he'll see the year out strongly but like most anyone he isn't all things to all people.
Kilo for kilo JPK's father and grandfather were by far the strongest players in their time at Hawthorn. I think JPK is a fairly quiet person naturally. Rampe and Parker balance that. Parker the teacher and explainer, Rampe the motivator and of course JPK the practitioner.

From the Swans photoshoot
View attachment 1330561

My weird brain was reminded of Doug Wade commentary:
"The Ablett brothers are hard to tell apart, except one has a beard"

Paddy is supposed to be a few centimetres taller than Tom but here they look basically the same height.

Sad really , we should have our traditional Riverina catchment . So many great Swans from there . The other rats should have just been given the west
I think they were given the South because it is a more locked in Aussie Rules territory. Wagga Wagga, Albury. Denny, Moama, Wentworth, Broken Hill etc. We had to suddenly develop the North in a big way. The Black Diamond league has been especially beneficial for this and the Coffs League. I lived up in Coffs for a while. They are very proud the Swans come there pre-season. I come from The Hill, our main game has always been Aussie Rules. RU & RL do not even count. There have been many players out of The Hill;

Stephen Hywood
Jack Owens
Chris Duthy
Georgs Lakes
Brett Staker
Jarod Rivers (Father is from The Hill)
Tex Walker
Isaac Cumming
Dean Soloman
Mitch Clisby
Brett Cook
Ron O'Dwyer
Ron Serich
Andy Bennett
Bob Troughton
Ron Serich

I think Lakes would have been a champion had he not done an ACL in around '69/70. He came back and played but could not turn on the lft. He was traded to South from Dees in '72 but only played 6 games due to his lack of mobility. Today he would have had an op and been back on the park but in those days they just played on with the tear.

The South/West have provided the VFL/AFL and the SANFL with some truly great players.

Jack Owens was my uncle. He played forward pocket in a Glenelg side that were perennial cellar dwellers. But he managed to top the goal kicking '27, '28 & '32 in a bottom side. He was the first Glenelg player to kick 100 goals. Jacky played in Glenelg's 1934 Premiership. He was probably the greatest player to ever come out of Broken Hill. He was never interested in playing VFL as the VFL comp did not pay enough at that time and it wasn't really superior to the SANFL at that time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back