Preview Swans v Saints – 07:25 PM Saturday June 25 – SCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yep he is good at running.

For all the widely extolled work rate, Clarke has been too lazy (or too un-co) to learn how to kick a footy over a jam tin.

Yep he runs around in the ressies applying effort and can sorta be relied on to deliver a 30m floaty pass that can hit a target - sometimes it is someone in red and white. His abilities by hand remain similarly afflicted.

He is good at reading the play up to getting a possie but in need of a smart labrador when reading what to do next.

Yep he is good at running. Did I mention that.

Yep he is good at running.

For all the widely extolled work rate, Clarke has been too lazy (or too un-co) to learn how to kick a footy over a jam tin.

Yep he runs around in the ressies applying effort and can sorta be relied on to deliver a 30m floaty pass that can hit a target - sometimes it is someone in red and white. His abilities by hand remain similarly afflicted.

He is good at reading the play up to getting a possie but in need of a smart labrador when reading what to do next.

Yep he is good at running. Did I mention that.

Agreed. I also think the effort seems to vanish pretty quickly when it comes time for the physical stuff. I know he's an outside player at senior level but he's looked consistently poor when it comes to the contested, tackling, pressure etc. side, and I don't think he should get a pass for not offering hardness when the opportunity is there, just because of his ability to run.

Clarke IMO isn't damaging. He racks up a heap of the ball in the reserves but they don't lead to much. He's a non-offensive pick. Won't be the difference between us winning or losing, but I think it says a lot about where we're at that he's getting games.
I don’t know about that caesar88 .

You yourself noted that Sheldrick was effective in the forward line just by running madly & reckoned Hugo might do the same.

I see Clarke as a real upgrade on Wicks if he’s in the forward line. You know he’ll run all day & tackle anything that moves.

Alternately, he might be used to tag Steele.

Im really pleased to see him as an “in”.

I don’t know about that caesar88 .

You yourself noted that Sheldrick was effective in the forward line just by running madly & reckoned Hugo might do the same.

I see Clarke as a real upgrade on Wicks if he’s in the forward line. You know he’ll run all day & tackle anything that moves.

Alternately, he might be used to tag Steele.

Im really pleased to see him as an “in”.

That's in the forward line, and I don't think Clarke will be. I'm sure he'll be around the ball in a mid/wing capacity. Where you absolutely do need physicality to not be a liability.

I also don't want him tagging Steele, as that would mean a spot in our centre bounces used in a defensive role. It hasn't worked all year.

Agreed. I also think the effort seems to vanish pretty quickly when it comes time for the physical stuff. I know he's an outside player at senior level but he's looked consistently poor when it comes to the contested, tackling, pressure etc. side, and I don't think he should get a pass for not offering hardness when the opportunity is there, just because of his ability to run.

Aye. I agree he lacks physicality. I am not suggesting he squibs (all those people are brave) but lacks the skills/instinct/drive to apply physicality at the standard.

I am puzzled at what role he will be given. Hopefully it is to tag Sinclair with the added instructions:
  • Do not stink up the forward line.
  • Only present as an uncontested target as a DECOY.
  • A good game for you is 0 possessions but with Sinclair being neutralised.

However I have not seen him assigned run with or hard tag roles - fwds, micks or backs. He will be destroyed by Steele, Gresham etc. I have a terrible fear he will be played as a general mid and get in the way of Mills, Warner etc.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That's in the forward line, and I don't think Clarke will be. I'm sure he'll be around the ball in a mid/wing capacity. Where you absolutely do need physicality to not be a liability.

I also don't want him tagging Steele, as that would mean a spot in our centre bounces used in a defensive role. It hasn't worked all year.
I’m not quite sure who shifts forward if not Clarke?

Campbell? Maybe - but with CoR out, we’re a defender short.

I’m not quite sure who shifts forward if not Clarke?

Campbell? Maybe - but with CoR out, we’re a defender short.

I would play Clarke in defence in a shut down role, closing up the space for Sinclair. Florent plays the more physical shut down role as he did against the Dees.

Campbell & Lloyd up the ground.

As I said earlier though, can't see it unfolding that way.

I wouldn't complain about Clarke in the forward half though. I just don't really like him in the mids/wing rotation.

Anyway, the proof will be on Saturday night. Either we come out with intensity and pressure or we let our guard down and another comeback is required. How we play in the first quarter is very telling.

I would play Clarke in defence in a shut down role, closing up the space for Sinclair. Florent plays the more physical shut down role as he did against the Dees.

Campbell & Lloyd up the ground.

As I said earlier though, can't see it unfolding that way.

I wouldn't complain about Clarke in the forward half though. I just don't really like him in the mids/wing rotation.
Not sure Clarke would have a clue about structure in the back 6 - so I can’t see him there.

I suspect he will be a straight swap for Wicks & will play forward.

Clarke will be interesting as it feels like a very long time since we've seen him in the seniors, hope he can step up.

Edit: Last senior game was more than a year ago. More than enough time to show us he's developed his game enough to be worthy of a spot.

Clarke in rather than Fox has me thinking Millsy is going back…

That'd be ballsy from Horse.

It's not a stellar midfield but Steele, Crouch, Ross, Jones is a midfield full of strong, big-bodied brutes. Seem an ideal group for Mills to go head to head with.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back