Autopsy Sydney defeat Thugden by 30pts

Remove this Banner Ad

Tom Papley BOG pretty easily, not just the goals but the leadership in the front half. Superb when things could have gotten crazy he kept us focused.
Big Hayden another very solid outing.
Juzzy non stop all night and lots of impact.
Isaac, Rowy and Errol good in the open but we are still leaking clearances.
Opposition are putting serious work into Grundy. We might need to think about giving him the week off vs the Eagles so he gets 2 weeks off before playing the Suns and GWS.

Disagree again.

Is it ideal? No.

We have probably our three best clearance dudes out injured though. So there is that.

If all you do is judge the mids on clearances then sure have your piece.

I reckon we are winning BECAUSE OF the mids so totally opposite of what you are seeing.

What I do is watch the game and see what work they are doing to keep the ball forward so the backs are not under siege like the last few years. And they are doing that great.

Also the linkage and separation they are providing is of the scale. Jordan has been great there.

Who cares if we nullify an opposition mid if we keep scoring 5 more goals than the other guys?

You cannot just be the best ever attacking and defensive side all at once and dominate every aspect of the game all at once all the time. You have to pick and choose a bit. s**t, I have won state titles in my game of choice and I cannot play an attacking and defensive game at the same time. I have to pick and choose and adapt.

Reminds me of WW11 when one German General asked the other German General as they sat in Paris sipping coffee "who won the air war?" Who cares? We lost the clearances, again, and keep slaughtering everyone so happy days.

Maybe we will get caught one day but I think this is the most fun and most excited I have been about a Swans side since 2012 because Horse has changed, got them fit and decide scoring more than the opposition to win the win is the best option rather than try not to lose.

More power to him. Releasing Heeney is just so cool I need another chicken to eat. Anyone got a chicken?
But apparently those three best clearance dudes can't fit in this midfield?

As for the rest, I was very conscious of specifically saying "our contested and clearance work."

Nothing about our mids' two-way running, most of which are good to great in this regard; nothing about their pressure or work rate to surge forward or provide for each other, which has been excellent.

My qualms with them are purely about what they do in and around the contest as that is where we've been got in the past before and I fear it's where we will get got again, despite all the other great stuff they do for the team.

It's not uncommon to think you're fine because you're winning in spite of your weaknesses, until you lose because of them.

Disagree again.

Is it ideal? No.

We have probably our three best clearance dudes out injured though. So there is that.

If all you do is judge the mids on clearances then sure have your piece.

I reckon we are winning BECAUSE OF the mids so totally opposite of what you are seeing.

What I do is watch the game and see what work they are doing to keep the ball forward so the backs are not under siege like the last few years. And they are doing that great.

Also the linkage and separation they are providing is of the scale. Jordan has been great there.

Who cares if we nullify an opposition mid if we keep scoring 5 more goals than the other guys?

You cannot just be the best ever attacking and defensive side all at once and dominate every aspect of the game all at once all the time. You have to pick and choose a bit. s**t, I have won state titles in my game of choice and I cannot play an attacking and defensive game at the same time. I have to pick and choose and adapt.

Reminds me of WW11 when one German General asked the other German General as they sat in Paris sipping coffee "who won the air war?" Who cares? We lost the clearances, again, and keep slaughtering everyone so happy days.

Maybe we will get caught one day but I think this is the most fun and most excited I have been about a Swans side since 2012 because Horse has changed, got them fit and decide scoring more than the opposition to win the win is the best option rather than try not to lose.

More power to him. Releasing Heeney is just so cool I need another chicken to eat. Anyone got a chicken?

i think i've felt like that for a while, based on the potential of so many of our young players ... just waiting for it all to really click
i think we needed to go through that bad run, from the 2022 grand final, into the bad first half of last season ...
now, hopefully, it looks like it really is coming together ... very exciting, and great to watch!

Bloody fantastic to see us with a bit of mongrel about us for the first time in years. On and off the field.

This. So much this. Winning is of course the best response but sometimes words, action and the *en scoreboard combine to tell the Oppo where to get off.

Took me ages toget over the abject response to Carlton’s bullying of Mills in Round 6 2017.

Pleased we did not cave.

Was Longmire's presser televised? he have anything noteworthy to say? Don't see video of it posted yet.

It's about what I expected tho our entire game is based on turnovers and pressure if we are 5% off games like tonight will happen.

I thought we did well to minimize the damage on the scoreboard and stay in the game we very easily could of been down by 5 goals in the first.

That was his intent until the last second, but then he chose to turn his body which you can't do.

I don't necessarily think he wanted to bump Cunningham. I think it was self preservation in a split second decision but that doesn't change the fact that he got him high and knocked him out. He's gone for at least 3 I think.
It is the turning the body and leading with the shoulder that will land him in hot water. Yes its split second stuff, but they want to discourage unnecessary contact to the head that is avoidable - in the age contact sports are going to be heading in to in regards to concussion, the AFL at some point will have to put their foot down on incidents like this.

Should get a month for mine, but we will see what happens with the MRO lottery.

Rampe's closing speed is still elite. Long way to go but that 2 year extension is looking like a good call.

Good call, he looked a bit slow last year but he's been real sharp so far this year. Not quite at his key-defensive best that he was at his peak but still really good. Good ball use, sharp defence, reads the play and provides an outlet.

Probably can't play on the big monsters any more but can still do it on mediums and smalls.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Did Adams, Mills and Parker play tonight? Missed them out there.

No but if none of them return they cannot slot in for Cunningham who will miss presumably.

Where as if one returned , say Fox, it is a nice swap

No but if none of them return they cannot slot in for Cunningham who will miss presumably

They're not really like for likes for Cunningham though are they? So as irrelevant as the fact Arnold is currently out injured. Cunningham would be replaced with Warner possibly coming in for a full game, thought he looked good, and maybe Adams pops the sub vest on since the club said he's only a week or so away during the week. If he's not up to it, maybe Cleary gets a look?

Echo the sentiments of whoever it was that said there's a strong 2012 vibe with this side last week. Exciting to get another crack at the MCG next week, and with the Eagles the week after, we're a massive chance to go into the bye undefeated, which would be amazing.

McLean is such a smart footballer.

I watched the game with my missus and every time McLean would be involved in a link-up play, she'd say, "Omg he's too big and slow! He's gonna get caught!"

And every time, McLean just had the clean skills and spatial awareness to dish it off quickly, knowing that exact fact - that he is too big and slow to run and carry without getting run down.

He sees the game like a small but is very aware of his limitations given that he's a tall. It's a pretty effective combination of attributes.

They're not really like for likes for Cunningham though are they? So as irrelevant as the fact Arnold is currently out injured. Cunningham would be replaced with Warner possibly coming in for a full game, thought he looked good, and maybe Adams pops the sub vest on since the club said he's only a week or so away during the week. If he's not up to it, maybe Cleary gets a look?
Could be wrong, but I think they said they'd bring Parker back first and then get Adams in.

Or maybe that's just what someone on here said they'd do lol

Could be wrong, but I think they said they'd bring Parker back first and then get Adams in.

Or maybe that's just what someone on here said they'd do lol

I was just going off the medical report that said Parker was 2 weeks, Adams was only 1-2. Made it seem like Adams was closer.

Not entirely sure what Essendon did that we didn't do against Collingwood last year?

It obviously backfired and seemed to fire us up more, so good for us, but we can't exactly pretend like we're above it.
The thugs took it a step too far. We went out to be tough and intimidate, but we didn't aim to actually hurt the opposition and take them out of the game. There is a massive difference.

Not entirely sure what Essendon did that we didn't do against Collingwood last year?

It obviously backfired and seemed to fire us up more, so good for us, but we can't exactly pretend like we're above it.

What did we do against Collingwood last year?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back