Autopsy Sydney defeat Thugden by 30pts

Remove this Banner Ad

What I liked most about last night was that it was not the best performance but we still managed to run out the game for a good win. There were some sloppy moments with overcooked hand passes, dropped marks, loose defence in D50 and poor set shots. But we more than compensated for this with excellent intent and pressure with a general attitude amongst all to clean up after you made a mistake.

Pretty obvious who were our stars last night but I want to highlight Grundy. Well beaten in the first half, he bounced back with the game in the balance. As they say, the cream always rises to the top and he is definitely showing this.

Just watched Kane Cornes talking about Gulden. They showed a clip of the goal he set up for McLean in the 1st qtr. Hadn't noticed last night Gulden starts the movement 10 metres from Swans own goal square. The work rate to get up the ground and support and receive the ball again was amazing.

Definitely "31", black background, white numbers. The 2m 1m and 30s signs are red on white. There was also a "+1" sign and a version that has both "31" and "+1"
Was the +1 near the end of qtrs too? Complete guess but I wonder if that might be when they want one extra back in defence like Heeney and Reid have done so in recent years?

Just watched Kane Cornes talking about Gulden. They showed a clip of the goal he set up for McLean in the 1st qtr. Hadn't noticed last night Gulden starts the movement 10 metres from Swans own goal square. The work rate to get up the ground and support and receive the ball again was amazing.
I wonder if we knew how good he was going to be but just kept it to ourselves, instead allowing the hype to build around Campbell in their draft year. Just seems ridiculous in hind sight how low Errol went for. I reckon he is the greatest heist from the national draft in recent memory.
With a new contract up for negotiation, I think 1mil+ / year over 5+ years would not be unreasonable, even though he's only 22.

I wonder if we knew how good he was going to be but just kept it to ourselves, instead allowing the hype to build around Campbell in their draft year. Just seems ridiculous in hind sight how low Errol went for. I reckon he is the greatest heist from the national draft in recent memory.
With a new contract up for negotiation, I think 1mil+ / year over 5+ years would not be unreasonable, even though he's only 22.
I don't doubt for a second the club made efforts to " hide" errol...and I don't blame them one little bit.

If they know they are going to put him on the list, what good is it to shine a spotlight on him

I was shitting my pants game, just felt umps were against us, we were a bit off, nervous all, apologies for melting a bit if i did

good to win a bit off the boil
Take the Imodium before the game that should help😉 🤣 umps were against us, Grundy came good, Errol oh my lord, what an amazing footy brain for someone so young, so glad he’s our boy. Paps was great, Heeney was a work horse. The big thing was even with all of the argy Bargy - the boys didn’t lose their bundle. Very happy that we have scored the highest score of the season (well thus far!)
The beverages served in the South Goulburn grandstand last night were outstanding!!

I've sat near the bench in previous seasons and never seen the 31 sign, or maybe didn't noticed. Might be new this season? Think I can recall 1 and 2 minute signs and maybe a 30 sign, as in seconds?
I have no idea, but I wonder if '31' means to go man-on-man for the last minute or so, and wear them like a glove?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Essendon are full of BS.
You can see the hand of Brad Scott all over the team. They will evolve into #loldon by season end.

Anyone else notice that North doesn’t have that thug stench these days?
It’s also showing the glaring gap between Brad & Chris Scott. Brad is all over the show and isn’t a patch on his brother Chris. Their footy & coaching styles are so different. Chris Cleary scored the majority of brains of the two at birth.

Peter Wright’s effort on Cunningham was bad and not tolerable in the game anymore so it should and will be punished. I’d actually argue that Draper’s late challenge on Jake Lloyd was more pathetic and emblematic of fake toughness from Essendon.

On a related note, is there a challenger to Draper as most overhyped player in the AFL relative to his output? Perfect Bombers player - all sizzle, has influence on a game for a quarter here and there and fizzles out. Hyped as if he’s an AA type player in the making for years now and he’s never played a month of consistent excellent football.

Last edited:
Guy on the radio said it best last night about the Cunningham hit: if Wright had his arms out to mark the ball, free kick for getting him high and 0 weeks. But since he braced and bumped, 4 weeks

Peter Wright’s effort on Cunningham was bad and not tolerable in the game anymore so it should and will be punished. I’d actually argue that Draper’s late challenge on Jake Lloyd was more pathetic and emblematic of fake toughness from Essendon.

On a related note, is there a challenger to Draper as most overhyped player in the AFL relative to his output? Perfect Bombers player - all sizzle, has influence on a game for a quarter here and there and fizzles out. Hyped as if he’s an AA type player in the making for years now and he’s never played a month of consistent excellent football.
When Wright started his run to the ball, I doubt that his aim was to concuss Cunningham, but by the time the ball had dropped he realised he had been beaten to it and then changed his action. I would say it was really clumsy and deserves weeks, but not sure he intended to be malicious.

In contrast, Draper's action was petulant and made him look like a fool. Having said that, Draper will one day be AA. He has all the ability and natural attributes and was coming back after 12 months out of the game so it was no wonder he faded. The big men mature later and when he does we will be wishing he was wearing our jumper.

Was the +1 near the end of qtrs too? Complete guess but I wonder if that might be when they want one extra back in defence like Heeney and Reid have done so in recent years?
I thought the "+1" was just kick a point as I saw it come out when we were an even 3 goals up with a few minutes to play, but the above checks out too.

When Wright started his run to the ball, I doubt that his aim was to concuss Cunningham, but by the time the ball had dropped he realised he had been beaten to it and then changed his action. I would say it was really clumsy and deserves weeks, but not sure he intended to be malicious.

In contrast, Draper's action was petulant and made him look like a fool. Having said that, Draper will one day be AA. He has all the ability and natural attributes and was coming back after 12 months out of the game so it was no wonder he faded. The big men mature later and when he does we will be wishing he was wearing our jumper.

I agree on both counts for Wright’s and Draper’s in game efforts.

I’m very dubious Draper will ever be an AA. I’d question it seriously in fact. He’s not a serious footballer imo. He’s a gimmicky player - his remarkable athleticism is spectacular to watch on a highlight reel and he can kick goal of the year contenders but he’s never, to me, shown the consistent application and play of a top of the line ruck. He’s never shown he can tap the ball consistently like Naitanui or grind through a game with grit all over the ground like Grundy or dominate a game in the air like Gawn. Essendon can have him and spend his career hoping it’s all going to click and they’ll never stop thinking he’s a preseason away.

No argument with your assessment but to be fair it was his first game back in a while. He certainly looked the goods early for them but probably has no tank. For a big guy he has a bit about him IMO. Bit of a DH but still young.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back