Opinion Sydney Swans Academy and Rebuild

Academies, friend or foe

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Wish our Academy was actually half as good as Vic Bigfooty fans make out.

As far as I can tell

2021 Academy draftees = Nil
2022 Academy draftees = Nil

Not exactly a footy factory.

You'd be happy StKilda get Mackenzie for two picks in the 40's though.

Makes sense.

No, Chad Warner is not an Academy player

I was dead set against the academies until I just saw that local lady BT just interviewed at her first game ever.

Grow the game with fans like that and you can add as many Guldens as you want
Ideally we get to the point that there's enough NSW/QLD boys coming through in the draft that they become unnecessary.

I support the concept of academies, just don't think the NSW and QLD sides should have exclusive access and the players should be available to all clubs via the national draft.
Thereby rendering the primary incentive to put so much time and money into them redundant. Yeah, that will work.

Ideally we get to the point that there's enough NSW/QLD boys coming through in the draft that they become unnecessary.
Yeah my comment was a joke about the 10/10 stunner in the rooms, but seriously there needs to be an in between because while we need to get kids into afl, it'll get real old having GCS take 4 top 10 picks every year

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Gulden went for pick 32. Maybe you should have bid on him?
Wicks' father vented his frustration on social media after he was drafted about how literally no other team showed any interest in him. Went in the rookie draft, probably would have been playing elsewhere if someone picked him in the main draft 🤷‍♂️

Yeah my comment was a joke about the 10/10 stunner in the rooms, but seriously there needs to be an in between because while we need to get kids into afl, it'll get real old having GCS take 4 top 10 picks every year
Last year was their only 2 top 10 academy picks ever. They've just had lots of top 10 picks because their talent has been getting raided for their entire existence. Seems that the tides are (hopefully) finally turning there.

Last year was their only 2 top 10 academy picks ever. They've just had lots of top 10 picks because their talent has been getting raided for their entire existence. Seems that the tides are (hopefully) finally turning there.
Yeah it's good they're no longer a tropical climate north Melbourne

Wow, this is a melt and a half.

Would you like if we banned you from all drafts, can you live with just NSW kids?

You were banned because the AFL deemed you cheated, just like you are accusing the umpires of doing.
but its fair for the AFL to give 10 million dollars a year for grass roots victorian footy But none to The SANFL and WAFL.

Victorians also seem to have no idea how big a deal the "Go Home Factor" is. Player retention for non-Victorian clubs is a major issue. They're not even drafting some players because of the risk of non-retention. Remember how excited Tanner Bruhn was to join the Giants? Well blow me down, isn't he playing for Geelong now?

Back