Autopsy Sydney Swans vs St Kilda. Things you learnt

Remove this Banner Ad

Buddy is by far the best player in the comp. Hand skills, foot skills, pressure acts, tackling, gut running, pace. The only skill that's less than elite is his marking. Some of the field kicks he laid on were absurd and he keeps his hands high and as quick as Hanneberry.

Can only imagine the stat line he'd put up playing in the midfield.

Potting Buddy is crazy but sometimes when he takes on the tackler instead of giving off as first option is about the only knock. However, when he breaks that tackle he usually does something exciting or good for the team so you have to back him.

This may sounds ridiculous, but allir will be rance level very,very soon. Has uncanny ability to get a fist in,beat his opponent and still get the ball.

Not many players would be picked ahead of him structurally

I think some of the comments about his job being easier playing alongside Rampe, Grundy, Smith et all brought me back to earth a bit. Because I've been thinking the same sort of thing. Gotta see him in high pressure finals but he has made it impossible to remove him going in.

Hannebery's kicking was pretty good last night, hey?

I though when Ted was moved forward for those two games, he displayed good nous and structured everything up a bit. But he looked like he lacked a bit of power.

Xavier is giving us the same smart play, but with added young man's athleticism. Not really flashy. Just strong, quick leads to smart spots.

I remember bedford tekling us the club had faith that Xavier would be a bit of a late bloomer, as Ted was. Reckon he can keep it up? I know a few of our more astute posters had their doubts about the guy.

I don't know how to feel about the first half. The second half when we got the run on was obviously great but when a team was throwing themselves at our guys, there was a lot of jittery passing and poor skills. Finals will go up a notch and I hope the team is ready to fight for a whole game with pressure like the first half.

Aliir. Every god damned week. I don't understand it but I love it so much.

Mills again composed and taking intercept marks was brilliant.

Reckon it was telling in this first half that McVeigh played a really prominent role in steadying the ship. As we started dominating, he faded a bit.

Still, St Kilda played very well in that first half, and we matched them. It's not like they applied pressure but otherwise played like s**t, and overran us.

Last edited:

X showing very good signs, one of teddy's flaw early on was that he'd undo his good work with some silly mistakes / decision making. X already seems like he's pretty composed with his decision making.

He plays a very simple game but does it extremely well. He's really looking the goods.

Was very clean early in the game as well. Dropped a couple later on but he just seems like such an efficient player.

Saints played well in the first half, it was our relentless pressure that got to them. I think they'll play finals next year.

I hope we have Naismith locked in for a few more years.

I know there's talk about Reid having some procedure that will allow him to possibly play this year, but I can't see a place for him at all.

Tippo and Jones in, nanks and Cunningham out.

On a side note, sadly I think benny mcglyn has played his last game for us. Ted as well. We need to take those $ and do our best to keep Mitchell, without going stupid.

On a side note, sadly I think benny mcglyn has played his last game for us. Ted as well. We need to take those $ and do our best to keep Mitchell, without going stupid.

I'm liking Papley and see a bright future, but his skills and decision making are often pretty ordinary. If McGlynn puts in some strong ressies performances in the last couple of weeks, I could see a swap. (Or an injury).

I'm aware Ben suffers the same skills/decision problems.

Also XR seems to be a really reliable set shot. Even the shots he misses (and he doesn't seem to miss much) he only misses by a small amount.
Shaw coaching the ressies saw his potential. I think that everyone sort of assumed that he would follow his brother,and try to become a kpd. But it looks like Shaw has convinced senior coaches that he has ability in the forward line,and he has taken this chance. He will only get better,as a replacement for Reid.
Reid who knows, his body might not be up to the rigours of Afl footy!

I'm liking Papley and see a bright future, but his skills and decision making are often pretty ordinary. If McGlynn puts in some strong ressies performances in the last couple of weeks, I could see a swap. (Or an injury).

ive been a huge fan of benny, but i think hes done. i may have agreed with you if benny had the runs on the board, but he doesnt. he had a breakout season in 2014 with his move into the midfield but didnt fire a shot in the gf. i know he wasnt alone, but his lack of form this year, combined with his lack of impact on the big stage are 2 big crosses against his name. if he was a proven big game player he may have been in with a shot.

i agree that papley isnt really ready for the big time, but i dont think we have a proven replacement for him. i love his attack on the ball, and the pressure he applies, but i feel he has a rush of blood with ball in hand and tends to get trigger happy and have a ping at the goals. he lacks a bit of composure and polish at this point in his development.

hes capable of pulling some tricks out of the bag, i just hope he manages to fire during finals, but it wouldnt be the expectation due to his lack of experience.

bennys done, he was given chances this year, but wasnt able to impact games. his attack on the ball has faded with age, but his decision making and precision with the ball in hand has not improved to account for his deficiencies. so hes gone from best 22 to a depth player.

Aliir Aliir is zinedine zidane like the way he caresses those kicks. Beautiful to watch.

Ask any Sherrin. They love being kicked by Aliir.

All of a sudden, i've got this tune stuck in my head "Aliir Aliir Aliir...Ole Ole Ole....Aliir Aliir Aliir...Ole Ole Ole...Go Go Go...Aliir Aliir Aliir"....too much Rio fever! :D

Last edited:

Maybe if Benny was a proven finals performer, but he lost a lot for me in finals efforts

Also XR seems to be a really reliable set shot. Even the shots he misses (and he doesn't seem to miss much) he only misses by a small amount.

XR just goes back and has hit shot, keeps it simple does not faff about, and it works

With Buddy kicking 6 goals he's inching closer to overtaking Kevin Bartlett and moving into 12th spot on the AFL all-time goal kickers leaderboard. He's jumped up 9 spots since the start of the year.

11. Matthew Richardson - 800 goals
12. Kevin Bartlett - 778 goals
13. Lance Franklin - 773 goals (3.21)
to put it into context with the forwards of today:

CpzRx1fUAAAbnlJ.jpg:large

(Log in to remove this ad.)

ive been a huge fan of benny, but i think hes done. i may have agreed with you if benny had the runs on the board, but he doesnt. he had a breakout season in 2014 with his move into the midfield but didnt fire a shot in the gf. i know he wasnt alone, but his lack of form this year, combined with his lack of impact on the big stage are 2 big crosses against his name. if he was a proven big game player he may have been in with a shot.

i agree that papley isnt really ready for the big time, but i dont think we have a proven replacement for him. i love his attack on the ball, and the pressure he applies, but i feel he has a rush of blood with ball in hand and tends to get trigger happy and have a ping at the goals. he lacks a bit of composure and polish at this point in his development.

hes capable of pulling some tricks out of the bag, i just hope he manages to fire during finals, but it wouldnt be the expectation due to his lack of experience.

bennys done, he was given chances this year, but wasnt able to impact games. his attack on the ball has faded with age, but his decision making and precision with the ball in hand has not improved to account for his deficiencies. so hes gone from best 22 to a depth player.

You are more than likely right. My view is that he could just as easily be playing in the best 22 and the team would still perform the same but he is going to be a casualty of grooming and opportunity. Papley has done enough to keep him out but some weeks can be frustrating with some of his skill execution. When Papley was out McGlynn didn't make the most of his opportunity. My memory this year is that he kicked, on more than one occasion a clutch goal that either steadied the team or got us back into the match. History seems to suggest stable teams or settled perform better in finals (Makes Tippos inclusion interesting but obvious) so I think injury or suspension is McGlynn's only chance. If that happens I have faith he would be a handy in.

You are more than likely right. My view is that he could just as easily be playing in the best 22 and the team would still perform the same but he is going to be a casualty of grooming and opportunity. Papley has done enough to keep him out but some weeks can be frustrating with some of his skill execution. When Papley was out McGlynn didn't make the most of his opportunity. My memory this year is that he kicked, on more than one occasion a clutch goal that either steadied the team or got us back into the match. History seems to suggest stable teams or settled perform better in finals (Makes Tippos inclusion interesting but obvious) so I think injury or suspension is McGlynn's only chance. If that happens I have faith he would be a handy in.

Agreed, and benny would be much more composed in front of goals. But I think papley is a fair way ahead in terms of pressure acts.

So I'd say the coaching staff rate his pressure as more important than his impact on the scoreboard. And the inverse is true for mcglynn. Although he can capitalise on opportunities, does he help the team create those opportunities. I think his form suggests the answer would be no.

I definitely agree with what you've said though.

Hannebery's kicking was pretty good last night, hey?

I though when Ted was moved forward for those two games, he displayed good nous and structured everything up a bit. But he looked like he lacked a bit of power.

Xavier is giving us the same smart play, but with added young man's athleticism. Not really flashy. Just strong, quick leads to smart spots.

I remember bedford tekling us the club had faith that Xavier would be a bit of a late bloomer, as Ted was. Reckon he can keep it up? I know a few of our more astute posters had their doubts about the guy.

Reckon it was telling in this first half that McVeigh played a really prominent role in steadying the ship. As we started dominating, he faded a bit.

Still, St Kilda played very well in that first half, and we matched them. It's not like they applied pressure but otherwise played like s**t, and overran us.

When Hanners isn't spraying kicks into the laps of opposition blokes, he is equal best mid in the comp. Parker > Hanners > JPK when at their peaks for me

Yep that's the biggest test for XR when opposition defences realise that he's more than just a place holder and a genuine forward; they'll target him. If after that he can still maintain this output then we've found another one from nowhere really.
XR's game seems more sustainable than Reid's.

Reid burst onto the scene with just amazing pack marks where he'd jump at the ball and grab it into a vice, and then spray the shot for goal. He could do one thing and he could do it really well.

But then the opposition realised they could just block his jump at the ball and now for the last 4 years, when he's not injured, Reid has been going "huh, now what? He's struggled to add different dimensions to his game. Every so often the opposition will get lazy and allow him to run and jump and we all think he's back but it's false hope.

Somehow he's not managed to actually fill out his frame so he can't compete in one on ones against the bigger defenders.

Richard's game seems more replicable: lead at the ball carrier, work hard to find space, actually try and kick straight. If Tippett actually stays for for any decent period Richards will be a third tall. If you're a third tall it's basically your role to pressure, keep your defender away from the big guns and make the most of your limited opportunities, because we're going to be kicking it to Buddy and Tippett a lot more. I think Richards can do that better than Reid.

Towers could well become the midfield pace we've lacked. With Gaz locking down that mobile forward role, and with XR demanding that lead up forward/swingman role it really refines Tower's role down to something far more manageable - working through the middle and attacking out to the wings and occasionally rotating as a temporary high mid option forward.
I think Towers has never been the problem so much as our structure was out of whack and he was struggling to plug holes for us. He doesn't look out of depth now because he simply isn't being exposed.
Plenty of posters have already said this, and I agree, playing Towers in the middle in the NEAFL, it was a brilliant coaching move by Rhyce Shaw and the team, it's really helped Towers development.

Saints played well in the first half, it was our relentless pressure that got to them. I think they'll play finals next year..............................On a side note, sadly I think benny mcglyn has played his last game for us. Ted as well. We need to take those $ and do our best to keep Mitchell, without going stupid.

Which in itself is "going stupid"!
Get a positive trade done thanks!
We only want players that are 100% committed to our club. Having sh.t thrown out in the media by your manager is as good as saying you're not committed.
Refer to Travis Cloke which has only ended in tears & loss of credibility. He should have been traded by the Pies!

Swans V Richmond Round 8 at the MCG.
Josh Kennedy out!
Time to shine Tom!
Result? 6 kicks, 10 handballs, 1 clearance, 2 behinds!

Our revised contract offer was made that night is my guess.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back