Autopsy Sydney Swans vs St Kilda. Things you learnt

Remove this Banner Ad

XR's game seems more sustainable than Reid's.

Reid burst onto the scene with just amazing pack marks where he'd jump at the ball and grab it into a vice, and then spray the shot for goal. He could do one thing and he could do it really well.

But then the opposition realised they could just block his jump at the ball and now for the last 4 years, when he's not injured, Reid has been going "huh, now what? He's struggled to add different dimensions to his game. Every so often the opposition will get lazy and allow him to run and jump and we all think he's back but it's false hope.

Somehow he's not managed to actually fill out his frame so he can't compete in one on ones against the bigger defenders.

Richard's game seems more replicable: lead at the ball carrier, work hard to find space, actually try and kick straight. If Tippett actually stays for for any decent period Richards will be a third tall. If you're a third tall it's basically your role to pressure, keep your defender away from the big guns and make the most of your limited opportunities, because we're going to be kicking it to Buddy and Tippett a lot more. I think Richards can do that better than Reid.
While not disagreeing with the theme of your post, I do disagree with the bolded.

One-on-one, Reid has shown himself to be an uncanny mark.

Where his slenderer build has come to be a liability is not one-on-one, but when defenders are double- and triple-manning him.

But that's a luxury opponents will not have if we ever get Reid, Buddy and Tippo all on the park on the same day, which from memory, has only happened a couple of times at most.

If he can overcome his injuries, I believe there is definitely still a forward role for Sam Reid, but specifically if Buddy and Tippo are both playing. We would tear defenses to bits those weeks. But if Bud or Tip are injured or suspended, well then X may well be the better proposition.

Which in itself is "going stupid"!
Get a positive trade done thanks!
We only want players that are 100% committed to our club. Having sh.t thrown out in the media by your manager is as good as saying you're not committed.
Refer to Travis Cloke which has only ended in tears & loss of credibility. He should have been traded by the Pies!

Swans V Richmond Round 8 at the MCG.
Josh Kennedy out!
Time to shine Tom!
Result? 6 kicks, 10 handballs, 1 clearance, 2 behinds!

Our revised contract offer was made that night is my guess.
ROK nearly left, they tried to trade but it didn't happen, and he stayed on etc. I know the circumstances aren't exactly the same, but similar.

I'm not fussed either way, though I'd rather we trade him to Carlton than Tasmania. Depending on how far we go in the finals he may want to hang around...

Plenty of posters have already said this, and I agree, playing Towers in the middle in the NEAFL, it was a brilliant coaching move by Rhyce Shaw and the team, it's really helped Towers development.
Got a lot of love for Rhyce and how he's doing his job. That said I reckon the decisions re X and Towers, and a few others, changing position will be taken at the top table with plenty of discussion. Great to see people getting a shot. Love my club.

The thing I noticed on Saturday Night was Towers played his wing, but would look to cut inside while backing his pace, be willing to take on an opponent and if needed go into a pack and get the ball himself or lay a tackle. He is becoming the outside threat we are looking for week by week.
He has got the speed and size to break a pack and run off it. He also changes the angle we transition into the forward line. Gives us another approach into the forward line behind defenders. The influence of Brett Kirk on our forward line structure has been tremendous.

He has got the speed and size to break a pack and run off it. He also changes the angle we transition into the forward line. Gives us another approach into the forward line behind defenders. The influence of Brett Kirk on our forward line structure has been tremendous.

How great is it to see some proper structure up there. XR is doing great because he has a clear idea about what we are asking him to do and the role he is to play - this no doubt is a byproduct of some well developed forward line structures, and for once thinking about how we best use all our weapons going forward - a nice change from the 'bomb it and hope' that dominated in 2015.

I've always been vocal in my support of Dean but he missed quite a few tackles on Saturday night that he would normally make...no doubt this is probably being discussed as we speak in the match review so I'm sure we'll see him being much more physical on Saturday against Norf.

I've always been vocal in my support of Dean but he missed quite a few tackles on Saturday night that he would normally make...no doubt this is probably being discussed as we speak in the match review so I'm sure we'll see him being much more physical on Saturday against Norf.
Yes, he did miss a few tackles but he also broke through a couple if I remember correctly.

I have never really been a Benny fan but l feel Papley does a better job in foward line and to think this bloke came straight into seniors with out playing a ressies game is a credit to him . He might not kick lot of goals but watching him in replays he helps create a lot goals .
When he did play ressies you seen the skills he has got in the way he controlled the game .
In games of ressies Benny has played and l have watch not seen him do that yet , so to me Papley to me is lot better option and he will grow into better player each game he plays .
I see he got a special mention in the League ladder quote today .

This may sounds ridiculous, but allir will be rance level very,very soon. Has uncanny ability to get a fist in,beat his opponent and still get the ball.

Not many players would be picked ahead of him structurally
That's a rather ambitious prediction:) I'd rather see how he deals with a)finals and b)2nd year at the top level first. I rate the kid, just a bit cautious on the hyperbole (which I'm sure surprises no one:D)

That's a rather ambitious prediction:) I'd rather see how he deals with a)finals and b)2nd year at the top level first. I rate the kid, just a bit cautious on the hyperbole (which I'm sure surprises no one:D)
i have tempered my expectation, my original one was that a brownloe and all australian captain was on the cards for next year

(Log in to remove this ad.)

• Thought Nankervis played pretty well, thought he was the better of our 2 rucks on the night, saw some nice work by hand and some good second and third effort from him at times, added to his worth should he want to leave imo. could show more when up forward however.
  • Towers went ok :eek: still got knocks with his tackling and decision-making, but he went ok playing more up the ground
  • Shoutout to Kizza, from what i've seen of the replay he was matched up on Steven more than the rest, held him well and got some ball himself. Bit maligned at times but busts his guts out defensively
  • XR continues to impress, could say a bit vanilla, but when u have Franklin in the forward line sometimes just leading hard at the ball-carrier, pushing up the ground as an outlet and taking the opportunities when u get them is all we need from the second tall. Has good pace and tank looks good, be interesting if we target X a bit more when Tippo gets back and target the 3rd tall defender

Nankervis no sighted what a shock

Absolutely loved that hit...the big rig is getting better with every game! Hopefully he doesn't request a trade at the end of the season but you couldn't begrudge him for it.

The thing I noticed on Saturday Night was Towers played his wing, but would look to cut inside while backing his pace, be willing to take on an opponent and if needed go into a pack and get the ball himself or lay a tackle. He is becoming the outside threat we are looking for week by week.

Next step, lose the deer in the headlights syndrome when he breaks clear and either run further or make his kick more attacking.

1. aliir...... what can we say...this kid is a superstar...hes actually making question horse's credentials....not having played him sooner.

2. Mills...if wont win rising star and it will be a travesty... cant remember a bloke coming in an playing as well as he had... not by debutant standards but elite afl player standards. Try name 5 players in the league youd take over him at half back right now. has legit claims to be in AA squad

3.Xr has proved me wrong.... looks so natural as a forward. Building in confidence.

4. Titch looks like a player playing with a heavy conciounce. You can go mate, we dont need ya

I think it's harder for a player like Mills to get it when he's in a good team so he doesn't stand out quite as much. The mids and forwards get too much attention, unlike Carlton who sucks and therefore Weitering gets the headlines. Anyway I agree he should be top 2 at worst, but I'd rather be in our situation than Carlton!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back