Autopsy Sydney Swans vs St Kilda. Things you learnt

Remove this Banner Ad

Their players dropped their heads. They didn't have them knocked off at all. Fisher threw in the towel. St Kilda believe their own publicity. Their best players are over thirty, they are unfit and they have recruited McCartan. Crap culture in the club. When they were put under real pressure they disintegrated. The 50 metres were the result of a lack of discipline under pressure. Read my posts before the game.

They are a club on the way up who didn't get much out of their veterans last night. Membrey and McCartan were very good in the first half and to declare them as absolute rubbish seems a bit short sighted. Some of their supporters are a bit nuts but we certainly got a few lucky breaks from the umpires such as the high fend off from Parker that lead to a goal to stretch the lead. After a glaring one like that and momentum certainly with the team on top then every moment after is the classic "we was robbed". I'm sure we would be saying the same in those circumstances. Their melts are a bit over the top however. Pretty good signs for that club IMO. I've not had the experience of sitting alongside saints supporters much other than flying down to Sydney in 97 or 98 and watching the Saints beat us by 100 that was kind of horrible. So yeah seems a lot of people have their history with the saints and their supporters but I don't think they are the disgrace as a team that is being suggested.

1. Stick those tackles Deano, or you'll have Sam Reid breathing down your neck when/if he returns.
2. Toby Nankervis has done nothing wrong, I hope he is picked next week for the game back in his home state. Very stiff if forced out by the returning Tippett.
3. When I see Brett Kirk in the coaching team, it fills me with confidence, and I reckon the players feel the same way.
It was unbearable to hear the fat alcoholic on Channel 7 raving on about Mc Cartan and his spider bite for half a game and how porridge guts "loves to hurt opposition players". Then a real Tasmanian showed them how to do it. Silence.

1. Stick those tackles Deano, or you'll have Sam Reid breathing down your neck when/if he returns.
2. Toby Nankervis has done nothing wrong, I hope he is picked next week for the game back in his home state. Very stiff if forced out by the returning Tippett.
3. When I see Brett Kirk in the coaching team, it fills me with confidence, and I reckon the players feel the same way.

Dean Towers is well past Reid

They are a club on the way up who didn't get much out of their veterans last night. Membrey and McCartan were very good in the first half and to declare them as absolute rubbish seems a bit short sighted. Some of their supporters are a bit nuts but we certainly got a few lucky breaks from the umpires such as the high fend off from Parker that lead to a goal to stretch the lead. After a glaring one like that and momentum certainly with the team on top then every moment after is the classic "we was robbed". I'm sure we would be saying the same in those circumstances. Their melts are a bit over the top however. Pretty good signs for that club IMO. I've not had the experience of sitting alongside saints supporters much other than flying down to Sydney in 97 or 98 and watching the Saints beat us by 100 that was kind of horrible. So yeah seems a lot of people have their history with the saints and their supporters but I don't think they are the disgrace as a team that is being suggested.
McCartan got one silver service pass and used his considerable over-weight frame to edge Reg off the ball. Apart from that he was beaten pointless by Aliir who ran off him with pace and ease. I will be surprised if McCartan is even in the system in three years time. But his stocks are being talked up by the mates of Brownless and the Geelong Grammar push. As for Membrey he can't run. End of story. Unfit and unwilling. St Kilda have retailed this unfit mob of front runners as the future to their delusional supporters. We saw the result last night. Booing and blaming umpires after an 11 goal thrashing.

McCartan got one silver service pass and used his considerable over-weight frame to edge Reg off the ball. Apart from that he was beaten pointless by Aliir who ran off him with pace and ease. I will be surprised if McCartan is even in the system in three years time. But his stocks are being talked up by the mates of Brownless and the Geelong Grammar push. As for Membrey he can't run. End of story. Unfit and unwilling. St Kilda have retailed this unfit mob of front runners as the future to their delusional supporters. We saw the result last night. Booing and blaming umpires after an 11 goal thrashing.

You should head to the main board thread on this game, you will have fun

I'm sure you have seen a lot more football than I so respect your view. I however see it differently and can see why they are looking at those players as hope going forward. Membrey would be in our team taking up XR's role right now had he not left IMO. He has chosen the right path for himself and probably the only Swan of recent time where you feel he is one that got away. The way those who have come into the team this year have performed, makes losing Membrey pretty insignificant, but I feel he can play.

This is from a supporter of a club that regularly resorted to cheating in their home matches during the 70's and early 80's. The Saints were a bottom to middle tier club (at best) during that time and would often resort to turning the sprinklers on the night before the game at Moorabin in an attempt to bring opposition sides down to their skill level. The resulting gluepot in the centre square and the rest of the ground being soft and wet underfoot would usually be attributed to "local showers" even though the rest of Melbourne had barely a drop of rain during the same period.

My thoughts on the three 50m penalties:
1. Buddy - NO 50m penalty. This was a howler and very soft. But Buddy probably would have kicked it anyway given his accuracy on the night.
2. Papley: Not sure about the original free but the 50m was surely correct for a Saints player backchatting the umps. The Saints were a shambles at this stage of the game.
3. 50m for overstepping the mark. Not sure who offended or who the Swans player was but it was clearly 50m as the Saints player ran over the mark to take a position on the mark a good 3m further on. Umps awarded 50m as it was a blatant attempt at time wasting / stalling our forward move. ie. The umpire needing to tell the player to move back to the mark and wait for him to do it wastes 4 or 5 seconds. That's my opinion anyhow.
Interesting that Nicholls went a bit mental after the Papley rough up. Something was said or done that really got under his skin. IMO all 3 50's were warranted but not consistently applied across games or even within games. Really glad the Buddy one was paid as that push after the mark should be stamped out.

In the first half I think they played as well as anyone we have played all year. To have matched them and been 5 points up at half time was fantastic. What a great half of football. I laughed at the commentators. "Swans are letting Saints play their game" implying there was risk in doing that. I thought Swans' fitness will match their's. The score at half time vindicated me and destroyed their confidence. I'm guessing that is the best half of football they had played all year and they were still losing. Their intensity dropped and we ran over them.

If the first half was sensational then I don't know what you call the third quarter.

I think Nankervis got to do more rucking this week? I was thinking that was because Naismith will be rucking most of the game next week with Tippett only doing a little. I was wondering if Nankervis may be a better match up against McEvoy when playing the Hawks but still suspect it's better to go with the same team each week from now on. Nankervis did himself a huge credit and will get multiple offers. Will be a shame to lose him.

A number of the youth midfielders went inside in the last quarter and stood up really well. Mind you it was a dispirited St Kilda they were up against. Smart coaching.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Interesting that Nicholls went a bit mental after the Papley rough up. Something was said or done that really got under his skin. IMO all 3 50's were warranted but not consistently applied across games or even within games. Really glad the Buddy one was paid as that push after the mark should be stamped out.

Buddy's reacton to the 50m after the mark indicated that he thought it was pretty soft. Agree that any significant push or bump after a mark should always be 50m.

In the first half I think they played as well as anyone we have played all year. To have matched them and been 5 points up at half time was fantastic. What a great half of football. I laughed at the commentators. "Swans are letting Saints play their game" implying there was risk in doing that. I thought Swans' fitness will match their's. The score at half time vindicated me and destroyed their confidence. I'm guessing that is the best half of football they had played all year and they were still losing. Their intensity dropped and we ran over them.
Yeah this Saints played their best half of footy for the year and were still losing. Imo that shows more than anything that this team is capable of going all the way.

The attack on young Papley took me back to the days when the St Scum used to head hunt his grandfather Max. Historical justice in the 50 metre penalty.

Last edited:
Just post and run :p
Yes apparently their defeat was the result of an AFL/umpires conspiracy. As a very young kid who had to hold back tears as our great champion Bobby Skilton was stretchered off after being knocked unconscious by a St Kilda thug called Eric Guy, surrounded by laughing jeering St Kilda supporters, it gave me a some small pleasure to advise JoffaBoy to take the defeat like a man. The joys of aging.

They're different players offering different things. Comparison not helpful. Reid vs Xavier for type. X took a few outlet kicks last night. Towers is a tall winger or mid, more like Goodsey's role last year. Could easily have both in a team.

Reid is probably a better contested grab but Xav seems to be the more reliable kick. Xav is more of a lead up third tall. Early days but you can see it in his eyes that he is starting to believe that he belongs at this level. Like you, I reckon Tower's ideal position is on the wing/ around the midfield.

They're different players offering different things. Comparison not helpful. Reid vs Xavier for type. X took a few outlet kicks last night. Towers is a tall winger or mid, more like Goodsey's role last year. Could easily have both in a team.

Problem is... who goes out? It would have to be XR, I think... but he is playing really well and getting better every week, and the finals experience would be invaluable to him. On the other hand, Reid was playing really well when he went out, playing his role consistently... but he has played for almost a year. Think XR had better stay...

And Towers is getting better each week he plays... just really needs to stick those tackles! But I think that you can see Kirk's influence in his improvement and if this is right, then the tackling is bound to improve!

Towers was better live for them who are potting him

Played in the middle and a couple of used his burst of speed to break away

Lloyd ran really hard

Tommys head is elsewhere imo

Towers could well become the midfield pace we've lacked. With Gaz locking down that mobile forward role, and with XR demanding that lead up forward/swingman role it really refines Tower's role down to something far more manageable - working through the middle and attacking out to the wings and occasionally rotating as a temporary high mid option forward.

I think Towers has never been the problem so much as our structure was out of whack and he was struggling to plug holes for us. He doesn't look out of depth now because he simply isn't being exposed.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back