Sylvia = Broken Jaw = 8 weeks! :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why-Bunny_Cry.jpg

Sylvia, Morton, Tapscott and Jurrah all on the sidelines for half the season or more. Along with Trengove and Scully, these are the 4 guys I was really excited about watching this season! It's quite depressing really! Along with Austin who's career is at the crossroads due to yet another hamstring injury, and it's all bad news I'm afraid....

How many weeks will Josh Kennedy be rubbed out for...

If you sheperd a player (not sure if that counts in or behind play) and make contact with his head which causes a broken jaw you would have to be looking at a min of 4 weeks (although WC fans will state the ground caused the break)...

Does anyone know the exact formula as I wonder if it was a bit of pay back for the hit on Selwood last year that had Col rubbed out for three

If you sheperd a player (not sure if that counts in or behind play) and make contact with his head which causes a broken jaw you would have to be looking at a min of 4 weeks (although WC fans will state the ground caused the break)...

Does anyone know the exact formula as I wonder if it was a bit of pay back for the hit on Selwood last year that had Col rubbed out for three
How about zero

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...ick-maxwell-bump/story-e6frf9io-1225839568911

THIS time last year, the name Patrick McGinnity was big news in the AFL as the victim of a jaw-breaking bump from Magpie Nick Maxwell.
Maxwell was initially suspended for the bump but controversially later cleared on appeal, while McGinnity was consigned to a lengthy stint on the sidelines.

Bad luck for Sylvia. Hopefully he gets well soon. Don't think it was intended by Kennedy. No malice in it. Just a hard bump. According to some who went to the game there were a couple of punches thrown by your players to Kerr behind the play and another to Stevens before the half time melée I think. Probably lucky for both sides not many cameras at the game.

Before the debate rages out of control does anyone have or know where any footage is?:confused:

I think you missed a year in time... The AFL changed the rules after the bump, but to help you out

http://www.watoday.com.au/afl/afl-news/afl-moves-on-bump-rule-20091124-j89n.html

and it was enforced with Buddy...

http://www.smh.com.au/afl/afl-news/bump-rule-here-to-stay-20091124-j5po.html

I think you will find it maybe 4 weeks the exact same as Maxwell, although the main issue wasn't that he ran over a ball to make the bump it was more that he was shepherding the player and I'm not sure where that falls in regards to contact...

The main issue as quoted from the SMh article is "The rule change made a player liable even if contact with an opponent's head or neck was accidental. "

There was probably was no mailace in the bump but sadly the rules have changed to mean that kennedy is liable...

Regardless of footage the main issue was there was a bump which caused a broken jaw which usually don't happen from whip lash thus Kennedy is liable (should he be rubbed out, probably not, but I think he will be and was wondering how the AFL see these sort of incidents regarding in play, high contact etc etc as my knowledge is limited):confused:

Yes there is footage but I'm not sure the quality but MFC had two cameras one behind the goals and one in the stands to record the game... Also think West Coast had one on the balcony

Bad luck for Sylvia. Hopefully he gets well soon. Don't think it was intended by Kennedy. No malice in it. Just a hard bump. According to some who went to the game there were a couple of punches thrown by your players to Kerr behind the play and another to Stevens before the half time melée I think. Probably lucky for both sides not many cameras at the game.

There were cameras and these "punches" were just the usual jumper punches. Nothing special. Some Eagles players were just annoyed that Kerr got smashed by Moloney in a perfectly legit hit.

There was probably was no mailace in the bump but sadly the rules have changed to mean that kennedy is liable...

Regardless of footage the main issue was there was a bump which caused a broken jaw which usually don't happen from whip lash thus Kennedy is liable (should he be rubbed out, probably not, but I think he will be and was wondering how the AFL see these sort of incidents regarding in play, high contact etc etc as my knowledge is limited):confused:

Yes there is footage but I'm not sure the quality but MFC had two cameras one behind the goals and one in the stands to record the game... Also think West Coast had one on the balcony

And what expert backs up this statement?

Hey, I know, Sylvia has close to the biggest shoulders in the game. Maybe Josh's bump caused Sylvia's own shoulder to break his own jaw.

Without viseo evidence it will come down to the players evidence. Basically Sylvia stating Kennedy made direct contact with his jaw.

And we all love how these player statements on what happened go.

If Josh did make direct contact with Sylvia's neck / head then he does the time........................:(

I don't think West Coast would be giving their footage to the afl as evidence and I'd hope the dees would do the same

Do the crime, do the time. He obviously would not have wanted to break his jaw but thats just bad luck, he'll probably only get 2 weeks for it anyway

Bad luck for Sylvia and the MFC. You guys unfortunately are decimated by injury even before the season begins. Who knows how the AFL will view this incident as it seems no one really knows what happened.

Sylvia was just on seven news and said the operation was a success and he should be back out on the park in 'a couple of weeks'. Not sure how long it will be but quietly confident it's not anywhere near the reported 8 weeks.

Sylvia was just on seven news and said the operation was a success and he should be back out on the park in 'a couple of weeks'. Not sure how long it will be but quietly confident it's not anywhere near the reported 8 weeks.

good news - hopefully it was just a little crack

According to a bloke on Demonland who spoke to C.Schwab at the Family Day, it's more of a 2-4 week job. Not so bad given the season is still a fortnight away.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back