Remove this Banner Ad

Nov 10, 2013
The Valley near the Alley
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Hell no
Membership record broken

Yes i know everyone will say its only ~15000 and not the huge amounts that other teams have.
But its a record. In a terrible year, with a lot of locals out of work as they are in tourism and education facing industries.

I have no doubt that if and when things return to normal, our membership will continue to increase and teams will be playing to full houses of 24000 or so (like in 2014), with the vast majority of those in attendance being club members.

We have a committed group of young men who love the club. Some of them are simply footy freaks.
Ain't that right Dewy!

48qq4b.gif

Last edited:

With the way they are notching up rising star nominees, they'll win a flag at some point in the next 5 years for sure. They could have the best player in the competition, as well as the best tall and small forward. Think we can basically put to best the argument that teams must go to the draft to rebuild.

Last edited:
Nah I think we've got that now. 🤣

I am sure it wasn't Gold Coast's plan as they were not expecting to be so much better this year but in hindsight offloading a lot of this years picks last year was a very smart move as it means Gold Coast have already spent them, and the AFL can't very well take away what they have already spent.

I am sure it wasn't Gold Coast's plan as they were not expecting to be so much better this year but in hindsight offloading a lot of this years picks last year was a very smart move as it means Gold Coast have already spent them, and the AFL can't very well take away what they have already spent.
Agreed. IF they keep their upwards trend going this year and play finals, you can imagine the uproar from some corners about them getting gifted pick 11 when they're already choc full of young talent - and that's probably fair enough. And the kid they took with the 27 we gave them last year in Sharp had some pretty big wraps on him pre-draft, so they've done pretty well avoiding a potential s**t-storm.

With the way they are notching up rising star nominees, they'll win a flag at some point in the next 5 years for sure. They could have the best player in the competition, as well as the best tall and small forward.

We have been down this road before though.

Gary Ablett, Tom Lynch, Harley Bennell....

It’s about keeping this together and actually putting together at least 5 competitive seasons of football to show everyone that it’s a viable entity and keep the ‘Fold Coast’ wolves from the door.

So make the 8 this year - they’ve got a good shot barely leaving Queensland and then back it up in 2021 when (hopefully) we have some kind of normality back in the league.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We are finally being run like a professional club, with professional facilities and professional football department, great to see the club hit this milestone, long may it continue. There will still be plenty of ups and downs but would love to hit 20k members next season if we some how go close to finals this year.

I should hate them but they have so many good young footballers and a good style that I can’t help but barrack for them. Go Gold Coast.

Good to see the GCS playing well, lots of exciting youngster and they will all progress together - also good to see a team playing a decent brand of footy unlike 7 of the Victorian clubs (St Kilda and Carlton excepted, Doggies somewhat exempted).

Why? They are just an insipid AFL franchise being propped up by AFL handouts, both financial and top draft picks.

It's an underrated trade IMO. We did a similar thing to get Stocker, which hasn't quite worked out, but you can see the logic behind it.

With picks 15-30 often being fairly hard to split (players are all talented, but it basically just comes down to personal preference anyway) you gain an additional 12 months of development into a young player which for a developing team like Gold Coast is invaluable.

In 2-3 years their depth is going to be ridiculous, and they'll have a bunch of teams go after their players which they can cash in for more draft collateral as GWS have done over their life span.

billy ray that’s the same face I pull when you guys get absolutely everything and will continue to do so until you win a flag because the afl want new customers to get a return on investment.
The anchors played our first final in Our 9th season and didn’t win a final to our 12th all we got was a priority pick for being s**t like the 15 other clubs we were competing against.
It’s a disgrace.
AFL is just a typical big business that rolls out the Red carpet for new customers but doesn’t give a s**t about loyal Fans that pay the dollars with no success.
Over 50,000 members
Not 1 bandwangoner!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back