Rumour Tales from the Henley Beach Cafe: CROWS 2021 RUMOURS

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Or, hear me out, we use Jordan Butts as that replacement and draft a 2nd KPD from the VFL/SANFL...

(Or Murray... I'm low-key blown away with how ripped he looked in that photo in the pre-season thread).
Borlase is still around too.

of course, if Butts comes along well this year that might make McAsey's loss not as keenly felt - but I would want to get in another highly rated youngster to develop in that spot - so any return on McAsey needs to be 1st round pick(s). We also have James Borlase who I am personally quite bullish on - I just think he will develop into a good AFL footballer and could become a key back for us

Borlase is still around too.

I definitely agree that its vital we come out even with McAsey. We certainly cannot afford to waste top 10 picks, especially with the Jones pick at the moment looking wobbly. That said Borlase also deserves a mention for being a big winner if McAsey goes, he's one I've written off as a nice depth piece but with limited scope to becoming a best 22 player (mainly just being a tweener and myself rating Butts very highly), however his situation does vastly improve if McAsey goes.

I'm definitely an adherent to the idea that you can cheap out in your key defensive stocks and rely on building a good defensive structure to get the most out of them instead of looking for a transcendent talent in the sector, so whilst I also think it's vital, I'd rather see whatever we recoup get invested into our midfield.

I definitely agree that its vital we come out even with McAsey. We certainly cannot afford to waste top 10 picks, especially with the Jones pick at the moment looking wobbly. That said Borlase also deserves a mention for being a big winner if McAsey goes, he's one I've written off as a nice depth piece but with limited scope to becoming a best 22 player (mainly just being a tweener and myself rating Butts very highly), however his situation does vastly improve if McAsey goes.

I'm definitely an adherent to the idea that you can cheap out in your key defensive stocks and rely on building a good defensive structure to get the most out of them instead of looking for a transcendent talent in the sector, so whilst I also think it's vital, I'd rather see whatever we recoup get invested into our midfield.
Jordy certainly has the front position, he's a bigger unit and has already played. Think he'll do just fine

of course, if Butts comes along well this year that might make McAsey's loss not as keenly felt - but I would want to get in another highly rated youngster to develop in that spot - so any return on McAsey needs to be 1st round pick(s). We also have James Borlase who I am personally quite bullish on - I just think he will develop into a good AFL footballer and could become a key back for us
I also think Borlase will be a good player. Butts I'm not sold on but if he has become Big Butts maybe that will help him.
If McAsey leaves we need to be demanding a top ten pick in return.

Laird is good, but 5 years ?? Nope.

Gets him to 32 which is what he's no doubt looking for. I'd offer 4 at a decent clip and if he says no then so be it. By decent I mean no more than what he's currently earning.

Should get us an end of first rounder compo.

If he stays in confident enough he'll provide a high enough standard to justify it.
If the story is accurate, why would we only offer 3 and not 4 straight up? Laird is not going to stick around for 3 and all we have done is keep the door open for other clubs.

The issue is we have telegraphed that we won't offer long term deals so our Free Agents will continue to get picked off.

If the story is accurate, why would we only offer 3 and not 4 straight up? Laird is not going to stick around for 3 and all we have done is keep the door open for other clubs.

The issue is we have telegraphed that we won't offer long term deals so our Free Agents will continue to get picked off.
We've completed overcorrected from throwing out 5 year deals, but it's too far.

Laird is a durable, high quality and consistent footballer. He probably deserves a 5 year deal but in our position we shouldn't be giving it.

Laird is a durable, high quality and consistent footballer. He probably deserves a 5 year deal but in our position we shouldn't be giving it.
We might not be having this issue if we offered 4. Laird has played well enough over his career, is durable and found a new position to be given 4 straight up. There’s also an element of reading the room, they must have known 3 wouldn’t cut it and he’d start looking putting us in a worse position.

Lairds back end of 2018 and all of 2019 was rubbish from a player of his skill set.
Sloanes 5 yrs I could live with but even that's currently burning us.

Lairds back end of 2018 and all of 2019 was rubbish from a player of his skill set.

Unfortunately the only way for a 2x AA player to go is down. Laird did have a solid 2018, but looked a tad burned out in 2019 and need of something new.

The value in giving Laird a 5 year deal is that we can always move Laird back to the defence once the next generation is ready to take over, however, it does also mean we need to move Crouch on at the end of 2021 as having both on long contracts is a terrible situation to be in when we're desperately trying to overhaul our midfield.

If we can't secure both on a short term deal (<= 3 years), we do need to let one go at the end of 2021. That versatility is why I'd opt for Laird over Crouch, despite being older.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No Sloanes contract was a bad one, injury issues, exposed that he couldn’t break a tag and takes him to 33 doesn’t it?

No chance we will threaten to do that and keep one of our own players that want out.

Even if we did, after the bluff failed this year who'd buy it?

Only thing I can think of that we know as fact about Macasey in recent times is that he collapsed at the end of that time trial. A kid who has decided he's leaving probably doesnt push himself that hard. Maybe. Probably not.

I love what Lairdy brings - he is a ball magnet. But as you say, if it is 5 years, then whilst his currency is high and this upcoming draft looks very strong, do we look to allow him to leave for a good 1st round pick (is he an RFA this year?? - if so, then we need to manage that much MUCH better than the B Crouch fiasco).

If we could take 2 1st rounders and 2 2nd rounders to this draft it could just about complete our rebuild..although I am worried if we lose McAsey even if we get good draft capital as we need a like for like replacement.. Mutineer may know of some prospective lads in the draft this year we may look to target if McAsey decides to walk
I can't be bothered even thinking about it until I see confirmation by either the player, his management or the club that indicate there is even a morsel of truth in a "story" based on a Big Footy initiated rumour.

Unfortunately the only way for a 2x AA player to go is down. Laird did have a solid 2018, but looked a tad burned out in 2019 and need of something new.

The value in giving Laird a 5 year deal is that we can always move Laird back to the defence once the next generation is ready to take over, however, it does also mean we need to move Crouch on at the end of 2021 as having both on long contracts is a terrible situation to be in when we're desperately trying to overhaul our midfield.

If we can't secure both on a short term deal (<= 3 years), we do need to let one go at the end of 2021. That versatility is why I'd opt for Laird over Crouch, despite being older.
You aren't getting either to stay on 3 year deals, it's a bit of an insult.

Unless he wants to go to the club that finishes below us, if there's any.
The paranoid ones are jumping on the rumors that the McAsey wants to join the Bulldogs...but it's highly unlikely we will finish above the Bullies.

McAsey still has a year of his contract to go to change his mind either way & also just changed jumper number... so lots can happen this season where he likely to play most of our games, so it is way too early for the glass half empty speculation.

If he'd played all year in the middle and done as well as he did in the middle in the last 4 games of the year, he'd be a 3xAA.

Him and Crouch not sucking in those games was the key for what little positivity we got last year.

Laird should easily be a tier 1 compo, multiple AA, excelled In multiple positions and no significant injury history. If he plays mid all year, which he should, he could very well earn another AA and a best and fairest.
No he won't.

It's purely financial. And following this year, the bar is clearly at or close to $800k for tier 1 compo.

No one is offering Laird that. We're better off signing him at the right salary level and trading later if that's what we decide then.

The big problem might be if someone is willing to give him five years at a slightly lower level.

No he won't.

It's purely financial. And following this year, the bar is clearly at or close to $800k for tier 1 compo.

No one is offering Laird that. We're better off signing him at the right salary level and trading later if that's what we decide then.

The big problem might be if someone is willing to give him five years at a slightly lower level.
That’s odds on happening, clubs know how to buckle us, they will get him for nothing and we will get a pick in the early 20s, just like we did for Crouch.

The question is will you call it pick 12 gone back a few picks ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back