Scandal Tarryn Thomas charged with 'threatening to distribute intimate image' + driving with suspended license

Remove this Banner Ad

Club Statements

Fined, no conviction recorded:

Brad saw his brother's comments and decided to one up him

"Tarryn is a good person" Wow.

Thomas to Essendon in 2025?

'Deserves' is an interesting choice of words Bradley.

The kid that got injured in his draft year and missed out or the bloke that got cut and went back to lower leagues, worked a 9-5 while working his ass off for his dream are people that 'deserve' a second chance

You gotta feel for Tarryn Thomas here. Here he is as a young man, just trying to make his way in the world, putting one foot in front of the other, and now suddenly everyone who's anyone is going on about these dead women, making out like they actually care, and so through no fault of his own the door is being shut in Tarryn's face. He could be forgiven for wondering what changed and when and why it had to change on him, specifically. It's almost Christ-like, when you think about it, the young lad being sacrificed for our sins.
People were saying "get rid of him" long before this recent episode of murders. It is entirely his own fault that the door is being shut. North Melbourne gave him a chance to turn himself around and he failed despite the punishment he got last time. He either doesn't comprehend the harm his actions have caused or he doesn't care.

It would be good if just once Brad (and previously Chris ) Scott perhaps looked at the bigger picture and forget that because he can play football we need to 'wrap our arms around' Thomas.

Perhaps just once it would be nice if the woman who was the subject of the barrage of Thomas' abusive and threatening texts was given a mention.

Thomas is not THE VICTIM she is.

I would've thought that would be enough to tip people off, really.
walter white GIF

Last edited:
Geez i'd love to hear the take on how Marlion Pickett is still on a list whilst lynching TT

The grating thing here from a North perspective is the media and other coaches running with "everyone deserves a second chance"

Im sorry, we gave him his second chance, his third chance, his fourth chance.

We apportioned a huge % of our resources to try and rehabilitate him, after multiple accusations. We put him through multiple programs (which he failed and had to re undertake), we asigned him multiple mentors, we even sent him out to be workforce to be a cleaner to try and put his opportunity in perspective.

He's been involved with the AFL/North since he was 15 years old, this involvement moved him to one of the better high schools in Launceston prior to his recruitment.

We had him moved off grid as a 19 year old with our strength and conditioning coach over a full summer preseason so he could learn how to be a professional athlete.

Aaron Hall and his wife took him in to teach him how to be an adult. How to cook, how to do his washing, how to do his grocery shopping.

This is all pre major accusations.

He spat in all of their faces given the time investment.

If clubs and the media are going this redemption arc, at least be honest, "club XXX open to giving Thomas his 5th chance at turning his life around, on the punt of getting a top end talent on the cheap".

Scott who will make this out as a bettering the community as a quasi social work project will make me puke.

In terms of compensation, even if it's a token pick, I think we have earnt it. We bowed to public pressure, we bowed to the AFL's wishes of sacking him. Im fairly certain the language around the last accusations were "if you don't sack him, we will".

We don't get a MSD pick to replace him, as far as Im aware he is still on our list until the end of season list lodgment. I have no idea how this works with him potentially returning to another VFL side after his 18 weeks.

We are bound by the current AFL playing contract and AFLPA guidelines to financially settle with him. He will be paid for this season.

IF the AFL want to clear him immediately and he's recruited immediately by another AFL club, well heck me, we should have just kept him and traded him at the end of the year if the AFL wasn't serious about a long term punishment. We abided by community standards and have been punished the most.

I've been adamant on this, the AFL should have de-registered him to avoid this situation. If he played 3-4 years at local levels and showed genuine attempt at turning his life around, it could have been reviewed.

Now, if an AFL player returns to local football and has accumulated 16+ weeks of reportable offences with any tribunal, they are deregistered from all levels of local football automatically

Why should non-tribunal suspensions be any different? 18 weeks should have been automatic de-registration from all levels of AFL football.

Last edited:
I was gobsmacked at Brad Scott's lack of awareness.

Sure TT might have been a good bloke around Brad, one of the guys, a Top bloke, Fun to be with, A champion guy.
But that doesn't mean he is like that at home or around women.
TT can be a good bloke around Brad but can go home and abuse the women in his life. Both things can be true.

The grating thing here from a North perspective is the media and other coaches running with "everyone deserves a second chance"

Im sorry, we gave him his second chance, his third chance, his fourth chance.

We apportioned a huge % of our resources to try and rehabilitate him, after multiple accusations. We put him through multiple programs (which he failed and had to re undertake), we asigned him multiple mentors, we even sent him out to be workforce to be a cleaner to try and put his opportunity in perspective.

He's been involved with the AFL/North since he was 15 years old, this involvement moved him to one of the better high schools in Launceston prior to his recruitment.

We had him moved off grid as a 19 year old with our strength and conditioning coach over a full summer preseason so he could learn how to be a professional athlete.

Aaron Hall and his wife took him in to teach him how to be an adult. How to cook, how to do his washing, how to do his grocery shopping.

This is all pre major accusations.

He spat in all of their faces given the time investment.

If clubs and the media are going this redemption arc, at least be honest, "club XXX open to giving Thomas his 5th chance at turning his life around, on the punt of getting a top end talent on the cheap".

Scott who will make this out as a bettering the community as a quasi social work project will make me puke.

In terms of compensation, even if it's a token pick, I think we have earnt it. We bowed to public pressure, we bowed to the AFL's wishes of sacking him. Im fairly certain the language around the last accusations were "if you don't sack him, we will".

We don't get a MSD pick to replace him, as far as Im aware he is still on our list until the end of season list lodgment. I have no idea how this works with him potentially returning to another VFL side after his 18 weeks.

IF the AFL want to clear him immediately and he's recruited immediately by another AFL club, well * me, we should have just kept him and traded him at the end of the year if the AFL wasn't serious about a long term punishment. We abided by community standards and have been punished the most.

I've been adamant on this, the AFL should have de-registered him to avoid this situation. If he played 3-4 years at local levels and showed genuine attempt at turning his life around, it could have been reviewed.

Now, if an AFL player returns to local football and has accumulated 16+ weeks of reportable offences with any tribunal, they are deregistered from all levels of local football automatically

Why should non-tribunal suspensions be any different? 18 weeks should have been automatic de-registration from all levels of AFL football.
The rest of your post aside, I disagree that North should receive any specific compensation. Whilst none of his offending was North's fault (to state the obvious), Thomas is not the first bloke to be sacked and won't be the last. Where do you draw the line at what deserves compensation for a club in such situations?

With regards to the MSD, North should receive a pick this year based on the precedence from when Adelaide sacked Tyson Stengle and were given a pick in the 2021 MSD as a result. Thomas will be on the 'inactive' list in the same way that retired and long-term injured players are. That's really your compensation, if you could call it that.

Despite the ridiculous commentary from Brad Scott, I can't possibly see Thomas landing on a list next season. The backlash in the last 24 hours, particularly in light of the DV awareness messaging the AFL are planning this coming weekend, has been a canary in the coal mine for what any club will rightly face if they think they can take a chance on him.

The rest of your post aside, I disagree that North should receive any specific compensation. Whilst none of his offending was North's fault, Thomas is not the first bloke to be sacked and won't be the last. Where do you draw the line at what deserves compensation for a club?

With regards to the MSD, North should receive a pick this year based on the precedence when Adelaide sacked Tyson Stengle and were given a pick in the 2021 MSD. That's really your compensation, if you could call it that.

Despite the ridiculous commentary from Brad Scott, I can't possibly see Thomas landing on a list next season. The backlash in the last 24 hours, particularly in light of the DV awareness messaging the AFL are planning this coming weekend, has been a canary in the coal mine for what any club will rightly face if they think they can take a chance on him.

The AFL has confirmed we don't receive a MSD pick.

My point was, we sacked him to maintain community standards and expectations of the competition and the code.

This is not a situation where someone has committed a crime which voids their standard playing contract.

North have to settle with Thomas and his manager regarding his contract for 2024, as his conduct is not (despite all the hounding from the AFL/Media/Supporters) was not grounds for termination and forfeit of remuneration.

In fact, the latest accusation which had Thomas sacked, was withdrawn by the woman following his sacking.

His suspension was the result of repeat behavior and numerous warnings from both the AFL and NMFC.

Now, we could have easily kept him on the list until the end of the year, at which point a club which wanted to recruit him would have had to trade for him.

The issue here is the ease at which clubs can recruit him as a DFA (if that is what he even is at the moment).

The grey area here also is why is he a delisted free agent if he isn't delisted?

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The AFL has confirmed we don't receive a MSD pick.
Really, source on that? That's a complete joke if true.

Adelaide delisted Stengle in March 2021 for behavioural reasons and were given a pick several months later in the MSD. I can't possibly see how North are not allowed one, unless there are any other extenuating circumstances relating to North's list (maybe due to the extra 2 rookie spots you're allowed in 2024 as part of the assistance package??) or specific rule changes mentioned before now.

1714615236275.png

Adelaide delisted Stengle in March 2021 for behavioural reasons and were given a pick several months later in the MSD. I can't possibly see how North are not allowed one.

View attachment 1976596

Remember when all the Essendon players copped their doping suspensions and Essendon were allowed topup players?

Sides like Port (who'd recruited Angus Monfries & Patrick Ryder) were denied.

The AFL will AFL!

Adelaide delisted Stengle in March 2021 for behavioural reasons and were given a pick several months later in the MSD. I can't possibly see how North are not allowed one, unless there are any other extenuating circumstances relating to North's list or specific rule changes mentioned before now.

View attachment 1976596

Because Stengle was caught drink driving and then caught in possession with drugs, both violated his playing contract, he was instantly terminated. He wasn't suspended by the AFL.

Thomas hasn't violated his playing contract, he's currently serving an 18 week AFL suspension and remains a listed AFL player.

Theoretically, he could play for North following this if it was for other reasons.

Now North have "sacked him", but that is wording from the media rather than having any legal grounding. He's simply been told he's not welcome at the club until his playing contract ceases in November. Hence the financial settlement.

Now, I believe his management is seeking a termination and financial settlement, as it makes him a delisted free agent instantly. Any reduction in his 2024 wage, might be contingent on an early termination.

The time taken to review Thomas suspension, was mainly completed by the AFL's legal council. They clearly determined they couldn't terminate him, only suspend him

I don't have an article, but it's been confirmed in media/podcasts etc multiple times that we don't have a list spot for him. In all the current MSD list spots released by the AFL, we have 2 open MSD picks which list the spot they are replacing (Goater and CCJ ~ Not Thomas).

If the AFL deem him free to play in 2025 and there's concrete offers from rival clubs, it will be interesting to see North's position, as he's not a DFA until he is terminated. Theoretically he could be sent to the PSD.

Last edited:
absolutely disgraceful from Scott here. Pulling out the good bloke defence at a time like this.

Here's a thought: let's help the victims and stop the perpetrators, rather than try to help the perpetrators. How about that?
Or just stop the perpetrators in general.

No victims when the perpetrator is in jail where they belong

Because Stengle was caught drink driving and then caught in possession with drugs, both violated his playing contract, he was instantly terminated. He wasn't suspended by the AFL.

Thomas hasn't violated his playing contract, he's currently serving an 18 week AFL suspension and remains a listed AFL player.

The time taken to review Thomas suspension, was mainly completed by the AFL's legal council. They clearly determined they couldn't terminate him, only suspend him

I don't have an article, but it's been confirmed in media/podcasts etc multiple times that we don't have a list spot for him. In all the current MSD list spots released by the AFL, we have 2 open MSD picks which list the spot they are replacing (Goater and CCJ ~ Not Thomas)
Not to say I don't believe what you're saying re the Thomas MSD pick but I struggle to see the substantial difference, given Stengle was sacked by Adelaide in March several months after his last indiscretion in December. Was it perhaps due to Stengle's activity being illegal, which Thomas technically hasn't been found guilty of?

Stengle also wasn't instantly terminated. Maybe it was due to his agreement to depart so in that instance it was similar to a retirement - the type of offending was obviously different but there are quite a few parallels between Stengle and Thomas given the string of indiscretions over a period of time.

"The Adelaide Crows released a statement confirming that the player and club had come to an agreement to end Stengle's employment."

Not to say I don't believe what you're saying re the Thomas MSD pick but I struggle to see the difference, given Stengle was sacked by Adelaide in March several months after his last indiscretion in December. He wasn't instantly terminated. Maybe it was due to Stengle's agreement so in that instance it was similar to a retirement - the type of offending was obviously different but there are quite a few parallels between Stengle and Thomas given the string of indiscretions over a period of time.

"The Adelaide Crows released a statement confirming that the player and club had come to an agreement to end Stengle's employment."

I think you gotta cast your mind back to a few weeks ago with the whole AFL drug program

Stengle wasnt sacked by Adelaide here, he was sacked by the AFL. AFL did Adelaide a favour by saying you can take another player etc as a result of the AFL forcing the Crows to sack him

In TTs case, North sacked him, not the AFL.

I think you gotta cast your mind back to a few weeks ago with the whole AFL drug program

Stengle wasnt sacked by Adelaide here, he was sacked by the AFL. AFL did Adelaide a favour by saying you can take another player etc as a result of the AFL forcing the Crows to sack him

Is that true though? In the article I linked above, it claims Stengle had been sacked specifically by Adelaide with no mention of the AFL doing it:

"Tyson Stengle has been sacked by the Adelaide Crows after a string of off-field incidents.

The Adelaide Crows released a statement confirming that the player and club had come to an agreement to end Stengle's employment."

Not to say I don't believe what you're saying re the Thomas MSD pick but I struggle to see the difference, given Stengle was sacked by Adelaide in March several months after his last indiscretion in December. He wasn't instantly terminated. Maybe it was due to Stengle's agreement so in that instance it was similar to a retirement - the type of offending was obviously different but there are quite a few parallels between Stengle and Thomas given the string of indiscretions over a period of time.

As far as I'm aware, Thomas has not been terminated and contract settlement has not been reached. He's been told he's not welcome back at North at any point for the remainder of his contract.

He's in the middle of an 18 week suspension, he's out of contract at the end of 2024.

The rumours are, Ben Williams want's a financial settlement and termination to ensure he is a DFA. I guess, if North don't reach financial settlement and terminate him, the club may be liable for his entire wage in 2024.

Now, if he remains on the list until the end of the year and is not delisted, he is like any other OOC non FA, he would have to enter the PSD or the Draft with nominated financial terms.

He's not "sacked" though in the sense you think he is.

Also, technically playing contracts are not with AFL clubs, they are with the AFL themselves.

AFL clubs can't sack players legally.

Which is my point surrounding him being suspended, rather than technically terminated.

Is that true though? In the article I linked above, it claims Stengle had been sacked specifically by Adelaide with no mention of the AFL doing it:

"Tyson Stengle has been sacked by the Adelaide Crows after a string of off-field incidents.

The Adelaide Crows released a statement confirming that the player and club had come to an agreement to end Stengle's employment."
The AFL hid the drug program behind the clubs.....

Or just stop the perpetrators in general.

No victims when the perpetrator is in jail where they belong
agreed entirely, but even better again, change the culture that allows perpetrators to perpetrate so easily in the first place. Obviously overly pithy and easier said than done, but one thing we definitely can do is get rid of the idea that they are just misunderstood good blokes

As far as I'm aware, Thomas has not been terminated and contract settlement has not been reached. He's been told he's not welcome back at North at any point for the remainder of his contract.

He's in the middle of an 18 week suspension, he's out of contract at the end of 2024.

The rumours are, Ben Williams want's a financial settlement and termination to ensure he is a DFA. I guess, if North don't reach financial settlement and terminate him, the club may be liable for his entire wage in 2024.

Now, if he remains on the list until the end of the year and is not delisted, he is like any other OOC non FA, he would have to enter the PSD or the Draft with fixed financial terms.
I was always of the understanding that retired/delisted players remained on the list until first list lodgement at the end of the season, only they would be moved to the inactive list to allow for MSD picks. As you say, maybe the key difference with Stengle is that his contract was terminated from March (with his agreement), as retirees likely are, compared to Thomas who remains contracted until the end of the year - regardless of his status on the list. ie contract status vs list status.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back