Scandal Tarryn Thomas charged with 'threatening to distribute intimate image' + driving with suspended license

Remove this Banner Ad

Club Statements

Fined, no conviction recorded:

Last edited by a moderator:
Albanese and Federal govts "lets keep women safe" agenda really wont allow for "Hey lets give a man with violent tendencies towards women a 4th chance" at the AFL level

I think they are smart enough to not bite the hand that feeds them on this one given how desperate they are for more federal money
Geelong have already glossed over the 4th chance and come out with “everyone deserves a second chance” or in this case a 2nd 4th chance.

Essendon are having a great week, first it was the auctioning off of ANZAC Day guernseys with "a percentage going" to proceeds (which I acknowledge a few clubs may have done), now this.

Do they respect anyone?

Edit: Oh and Draper making a colossal ass of himself.

Is it fair to assume North will be requesting some kind of compensation for him signing with another club?

I mean, they chose to (rightfully) sack the guy - so I don’t think they need to then be compensated if he was to continue his career elsewhere, that’s just part of the deal when you sack someone.

….but they will ask….

Will they get?

He's a delisted free agent. They will get nothing.

They can always ask but we can all guess what the answer will be.

Somehow, North will emerge from this as failing Tarryn as his redemption arc spins into 2025 success.

They were pressured a bit to sack him (rightfully so) then other clubs swoop. They should be compensated for the no win situation they were put in there

TT should have been banished but the AFL just want to be seen as doing right without ever really doing it

I want whoever signs him to regret it but that likely means he's threatened or bashed another woman so hopefully his form just sucks. He shouldn't get another chance to begin with though, he's just a grub

No, nothing. Our compensation is a mid season draft spot opening up.

We could have traded him end of last year, I have read/heard there were inquiries.

there’s no precedent for a compo pick for a sacked player.

Let’s not forget that while North got tradable end of first round priority picks for being s**t, McKay did get paid a monster offer (800k+ for many years, and most likely increasing in value with salary cap increases) so a band 1 pick isn’t actually any form of corruption or under the table deals. It’s just a big contract for a young by free agent standards player. That’s band 1. The AFL isn’t going to hand us out more picks for Thomas.

No, nothing. Our compensation is a mid season draft spot opening up.

We could have traded him end of last year, I have read/heard there were inquiries.

there’s no precedent for a compo pick for a sacked player.

Let’s not forget that while North got tradable end of first round priority picks for being s**t, McKay did get paid a monster offer (800k+ for many years, and most likely increasing in value with salary cap increases) so a band 1 pick isn’t actually any form of corruption or under the table deals. It’s just a big contract for a young by free agent standards player. That’s band 1. The AFL isn’t going to hand us out more picks for Thomas.
We don't even get a mid season draft spot

disappointing coming from brad scott knowing that a relative of an essendon player was murdered via DV recently. i can't imagine you'd find many bombers fans interested in having him at the club.

given that it's the anti DV round, too. it's thoughtless and disappointing to hear.

I'm always a believer in giving people 2nd 3rd chances etc.

Sometimes people do change even after multiple mistakes.

In saying that, I'm not sure he deserves another chance and with everything going on in Australia in regards to violence against women it's about time these clubs take a stand and send a powerful message.

In saying that, I'm not sure he deserves another chance and with everything going on in Australia in regards to violence against women it's about time these clubs take a stand and send a powerful message.

He doesn't deserve it. he's shown little regard previously. Very silly to throw away a career just to be a big macho moron.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He doesn't deserve it. he's shown little regard previously. Very silly to throw away a career just to be a big macho moron.

I agree and the AFL clubs should make an example of Thomas to all the young men in the system and the ones waiting to be drafted.

This message will be alot more powerful then some minute silence.

Of all the stupid things Essendon have done, getting that scumbag to the club would probably be the end for me.
I could never blame you for that.

Brad Scott claimed that Tarryn Thomas grew up in a disadvantaged background and was worthy of a second chance.

I was raised in a household where a zealous Vietnam War RSL pokie machine loving Swans fan decided to marry my Mother (from when I was the age of 4 years old until 10 years old) and chose to be extremely violent to me and decided to use me as his regular aggression outlet/punching bag throughout his relationship with my Mother. I later learned that my biological Father was an active Anti-Vietnam War protestor.

We eventually fled that monster and lived secretly in the Northern Suburbs of Melbourne. When we fled, we only had the clothes on our backs and had to start again. My Mum worked hard in the 1980s (women earned less than 60 percent of men's average wages back in those days) to provide for us. We were publicly schooled and lived on the basics.

None of these lived childhood experiences or the disadvantages that came with them have ever motivated me in the slightest to be violent towards women.

Today, I am happily married to my wife of 18 years and I love her very much.

Tarryn Thomas and his apologists, including Brad Scott, are out of touch.

Last edited:
You gotta feel for Tarryn Thomas here. Here he is as a young man, just trying to make his way in the world, putting one foot in front of the other, and now suddenly everyone who's anyone is going on about these dead women, making out like they actually care, and so through no fault of his own the door is being shut in Tarryn's face. He could be forgiven for wondering what changed and when and why it had to change on him, specifically. It's almost Christ-like, when you think about it, the young lad being sacrificed for our sins.

You gotta feel for Tarryn Thomas here. Here he is as a young man, just trying to make his way in the world, putting one foot in front of the other, and now suddenly everyone who's anyone is going on about these dead women, making out like they actually care, and so through no fault of his own the door is being shut in Tarryn's face. He could be forgiven for wondering what changed and when and why it had to change on him, specifically. It's almost Christ-like, when you think about it, the young lad being sacrificed for our sins.
and so through no fault of his own

It's hard to put a blanket statement that he doesn't deserve another chance.

In saying that he clearly failed to improve his behaviour from the previous education efforts so he certainly needs to be forced to go the long road to prove that he's actually deserving of it.

Unfortunately I don't see that happening as in elite sport everyone is looking to push the boundaries to draw that extra 1% to bring success. I am sure there will be a club happy to rush him back into the system.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back