Recommitted Tarryn Thomas [OOC 2024] - Staying at North

Remove this Banner Ad

This has all Adrian Dodoro's fingerprints all over it.

Essendon will offer North way overs to get band 1 compo for McKay in exchange for getting a significantly under deal for a player that is somewhat expendable. Tarryn Thomas fits that bill as someone North wouldn't be sad about letting go it would seem.

Im non plussed, has talent but has baggage. If we get him for under (F3, Port second after we possibly receive for BZT, or even our F2) then that could be "fair" value.
Possibly, but the interest from Essendon was always there.

There is a rumour floating around he wanted an extension a few weeks back and the club is obviously hesitant, so there’s a testing of waters atm.

While it would look bad, I would extend with behavioural clauses. I would be definitely disappointed if he leaves because he is really talented, and we wouldn’t get what he is worth on the trade table.

The Champion Data dude reckons he was the 6th highest rated player in the competition for the past month.

Jacob Hopper was traded for more than pick 8, and he was a lesser talent who was out of contract.

Its now hard to see how any deal for TT gets done until next year, unless there are significant issues that haven't become public.
Hopper also isn’t a potential train wreck. He will definitely play out eight or so very good seasons with Richmond, no questions asked.

Thomas is a massive risk. Yes, he is hugely talented, but he is 23 and hasn’t yet become the star that was touted. More to the point, he could absolutely blow up in your face, and sow dissent among the club.

Hopper also isn’t a potential train wreck. He will definitely play out eight or so very good seasons with Richmond, no questions asked.

Thomas is a massive risk. Yes, he is hugely talented, but he is 23 and hasn’t yet become the star that was touted. More to the point, he could absolutely blow up in your face, and sow dissent among the club.
All good reasons why I don’t think a deal gets done this offseason.

I don’t see how this could possibly happen. Tarryn is way too talented to swap for a middling draft pick like bombers first. Surely kangas just say no and let him play out his contract next year and back the new club administration to get the best out of him.

Would have at Melbourne and happy to pay a decent price for him. In a year or so could be the best player in the comp.

Massive talent no doubt but that would require a massive jump and is probably a bit of a stretch.

I doubt he'd be in the top 5 players at Melbourne alone over the next 12-24 months, let alone across the competition as a whole.

Massive talent no doubt but that would require a massive jump and is probably a bit of a stretch.

I doubt he'd be in the top 5 players at Melbourne alone over the next 12-24 months, let alone across the competition as a whole.
He is clearly unfit, but over the last month champion data had him ranked 6th in the comp.

I think that it's in his interests to stay another year and see out his contract. If he shows he can apply himself, the offers next year could be massive.

He is clearly unfit, but over the last month champion data had him ranked 6th in the comp.

I think that it's in his interests to stay another year and see out his contract. If he shows he can apply himself, the offers next year could be massive.

Give us a whole season like the past two months, where there are no off-field dramas at all, and its plausible he could be offered contracts in the vicinity of 900k over six years. Isaac Heeney kind of money. But no club would offer that yet.

Not doubting his talent but there is a huge step up from doing that over a 1 month period, to being considered the best player in the competition.

Look at the best players in the game; not many are considered as such on the back of performances over such a short period of time.

At Melbourne specifically, he'd have done unbelievably well to be mentioned in the same breath as the likes of Oliver, Petracca and Gawn over the next 12-24 months.

I agree with this. Sometimes players (and clubs) need a fresh start but I think it's in Tarryn's best interests to stay at North, for now at least.

Alternatively Hawthorn and Sydney are two of the best run organisations who will pay a premium for gun players. McKay is the KPD equivalent of Darcy Parish. Nice, available but not worth what the very best are worth.

Hawthorn are reported offering Ratugolea 5 million over 7 years lol (although that's probably a beat up by his manager)

The Champion Data dude reckons he was the 6th highest rated player in the competition for the past month.

Jacob Hopper was traded for more than pick 8, and he was a lesser talent who was out of contract.

Its now hard to see how any deal for TT gets done until next year, unless there are significant issues that haven't become public.
hopper was contracted and made the all-australian squad the year prior to being traded

so wrong on both counts

(Log in to remove this ad.)

hopper was contracted and made the all-australian squad the year prior to being traded

so wrong on both counts

Tarryn Thomas has a considerably higher ceiling than Hopper though.

It's the off field issues/baggage that is most likely diminishing his trade and contract currency

If he has a terrific 2024 season without any more off field scandals, he definitely would be worth a top 10 pick.

It's up to Tarryn himself if he can prove it to other clubs and the footy community that he has reformed/is a changed man.

I'm talking about talent.
Thomas is a more talented footballer than Hopper.
I concede I was wrong about the contract.
Tarryn Thomas has a considerably higher ceiling than Hopper though.

It's the off field issues/baggage that is most likely diminishing his trade and contract currency

If he has a terrific 2024 season without any more off field scandals, he definitely would be worth a top 10 pick.

It's up to Tarryn himself if he can prove it to other clubs and the footy community that he has reformed/is a changed man.
thomas has shown glimpses for 5-6 weeks when his contract is up or in this case when he is looking for a trade out of north melbourne whereas hopper was one of the better inside mids in the game a couple of seasons ago. is he a more talented footballer than hopper? i havent really ever seen him reach the level hopper has as a midfielder. seems to be mainly hype on his rookie year and draft position

thomas reminds me a lot of a certain bomber who used to play for footscray. will coast by on putting in for a month of footy and convincing everyone he is finally starting to develop into something then put the cue in the rack when he gets his next contract

thomas has shown glimpses for 5-6 weeks when his contract is up or in this case when he is looking for a trade out of north melbourne whereas hopper was one of the better inside mids in the game a couple of seasons ago. is he a more talented footballer than hopper? i havent really ever seen him reach the level hopper has as a midfielder. seems to be mainly hype on his rookie year and draft position

thomas reminds me a lot of a certain bomber who used to play for footscray. will coast by on putting in for a month of footy and convincing everyone he is finally starting to develop into something then put the cue in the rack when he gets his next contract

Not gonna lie. Stringer a few years ago in his contract year tricked me 😂

He had 6-8 weeks of amazing footy.

we can't even get jake stringer to get his weight down.

Can barely manage one DH, dont need another.

Thomas is price gouging in the time honoured manner at North.

North will give him $900k + and take the risk on his behaviour
Star Girl GIF by Erica Nlewedim

North would want the world for Thomas he is one of their best players despite having a lot of off-field issues.
They would at least want a top 10 pick and I doubt any club would take that risk with his history.

Just going to leave this here. Thomas was a massive swans fan as a kid. Sydney can do with a midfielder. Sydney just may enter this space.

I would be upset if we took Gold Coast pick 5 for him. Has the talent to be the best player in the comp hopefully he matures and gets his s**t together but if he stuffs up and gets delisted that’s a better outcome than taking a second round pick for him.
I would be just as upset looking from the other side

Just going to leave this here. Thomas was a massive swans fan as a kid. Sydney can do with a midfielder. Sydney just may enter this space.

They likely already have. He’s not just spoken to Essendon.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back