Recommitted Tarryn Thomas [OOC 2024] - Staying at North

Remove this Banner Ad

Aug 6, 2021
AFL Club
North Melbourne
A sublime talent with serious baggage.

Contracted for another year, but rumoured to be exploring trades.

Last week, David King suggested he could be traded out for GC’s first.

Is that trade deal a serious chance? Failing that, what would clubs be prepared to give up for him?

Can't see how it would be in his interests to get traded now that it seems he is finally on the right track. I also find it irresponsible that other clubs would be whispering in his ear at the moment.

Is that trade deal a serious chance? Failing that, what would clubs be prepared to give up for him?
I dont think David King understands how the bidding system works.

Crazy given he is paid to know this

Can't see how it would be in his interests to get traded now that it seems he is finally on the right track. I also find it irresponsible that other clubs would be whispering in his ear at the moment.
Yeah, we thought the same with Willie Rioli last year but clubs will do what they want.

He isn't a top 5 pick talent.

And he has baggage

Mid 2nd rounder.

I dont think David King understands how the bidding system works.

Crazy given he is paid to know this

And doesn't seem to realise the Suns would have a top ten pick if they didn't need it for Walter, which they aren't giving up for a bloke who isn't worth a top ten pick and looks as likely to be in prison as the footy field in a couple of years time.

Got some talent but not a chance in hell GC would give up their first for him

Hypothetically, what if North don't bid on Walter.

Walter goes at 4, Read at 8, Rogers at 11.
(going by Twomey's phantom draft)

That's 4914 points. 20% discount gets you down to 3931 points.

GC currently have 4396 points, minus pick 5 is 2518.

If North offered pick 17 going back, that would get GC to 3537 pts, from which point they could go into a minor deficit next year.

That deal is too much in GC's favour, IMO, but if they added Mabior Chol, Caleb Graham, or even a third rounder it gets pretty close.

In sum:

North out: TT, pick 17
GC out: pick 5, and either Chol, Graham or a third rounder

Bloke has little to no trade value huge off field issues and has produced very little since coming back this year outside of the saints game

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bloke has little to no trade value huge off field issues and has produced very little since coming back this year outside of the saints game
He has actually been pretty damn good since he came back.
eg. 23 disposals and two goals against the Crows was another highlight.
19 and three against the giants.
etc
There have been a couple meh games too, but overall he's performed surprisingly well, especially when you take into account his lack of preseason and all the legal stuff.

Hypothetically, what if North don't bid on Walter.

Walter goes at 4, Read at 8, Rogers at 11.
(going by Twomey's phantom draft)

That's 4914 points. 20% discount gets you down to 3931 points.

GC currently have 4396 points, minus pick 5 is 2518.

If North offered pick 17 going back, that would get GC to 3537 pts, from which point they could go into a minor deficit next year.

That deal is too much in GC's favour, IMO, but if they added Mabior Chol, Caleb Graham, or even a third rounder it gets pretty close.

In sum:

North out: TT, pick 17
GC out: pick 5, and either Chol, Graham or a third rounder
We don’t really know what the Suns’s draft hand will be. If say Flanders still leaves they’d probably get a teens pick, and have no need of other 2023 picks.

Buyer beware here. Potential buyers could end up with an expensive and corrosive pig in a poke. Sometimes even talented players aren't worth the effort needed to try and keep them on track.

Gold Coast, regardless of coach, is one of the last clubs that needs TT types, they need strong minded focused types to drive them forwards.

Gold Coast probably the best club for him if he leaves tbh.

He's got a family base in western Sydney, I think either of the NSW sides have a good solid structure for him as well.

He's got a family base in western Sydney, I think either of the NSW sides have a good solid structure for him as well.

I think the Swans will stay away (mainly because of what happened with Elijah Taylor a few years ago) but GWS is a possibility.

From a different perspective, I think he could be a good fit for Fremantle as well (if he wants to move to WA)

Hopefully if North are looking to trade Tarryn they handle the situation better than we did with Jake Stringer, especially if they expect to get anything remotely appropriate for him.

Jake Stringer was more talented, was part of a premiership winning side 12 months earlier, had already made an All Australian, was contracted, had less baggage and was the same age as Tarryn is now. We made it very clear he wasn’t welcome back, and having only two clubs be interested in him (I think Geelong considered it, otherwise it’s just one club) we only got two second round picks for him.

I cant decide if Gold Coast are dumb for going for him or genius
  • Feels like a place he can get away with his off field s**t and not have it hit the media like elsewhere
  • Also feels like a place he can get away with his off field s**t and give minimal effort

Valuing him is extremely difficult if it went ahead and I have no idea what he would go for. Top 10 pick on talent, pick 50 on douchebagery

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back