Recommitted Brandan Parfitt [OOC 2024] - expected to stay

Remove this Banner Ad

Jan 9, 2009
Queensland
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions

Good time of year to have by far his best game.

No idea what happened to him this year. Last year he received coaches votes in 2 of the last 3 games and was unbelievably unlucky to be dropped for finals.

Maybe that ruined his confidence because this year he's been a shadow of his former self until last night.

Good time of year to have by far his best game.

No idea what happened to him this year. Last year he received coaches votes in 2 of the last 3 games and was unbelievably unlucky to be dropped for finals.

Maybe that ruined his confidence because this year he's been a shadow of his former self until last night.
He 100% got his mojo back last night. Would have been good to have him doing that during the season.

We need good young mids and he's a good young mid

Hes been very average this year but was back to his best last night.

6 weeks ago i was 100 % trade him but we have a lack of 25-28yos on the list so with sav going id probably keep him unless we get offered a reasonable pick.

Is a free agent next year though which might come into our club's thinking.

We won't get much for him so I guess we would be better to keep him, but he's been a major disappointment for mine.

Good defensive minded mid, and just when the time came for him to really step up to be something more he has got nothing.

Early 3rd round pick is about his going rate I would say.
In my opinion he's worth more to us than he is to anyone else. He's the perfect age for our list. His drop off to being a fringe player over the past two years, especially this year when 2021 Parfitt would have been an absolute godsend for our midfield, has been baffling and frustrating. He should have been one of the first picked; instead his performances really left no option but to send him to the VFL.

We'd get nothing for him, he wouldn't be on crazy money, there's relatively no list squeeze pressure compared to recent years. Unless he's required as a throw in to get something else done, I think it's a pretty low risk gamble on him by Geelong to turn it round next year and be a valuable contributor in the senior side. That's definitely what I'd do.

We won't get much for him so I guess we would be better to keep him, but he's been a major disappointment for mine.

Good defensive minded mid, and just when the time came for him to really step up to be something more he has got nothing.
I think if the Saints lose Gresham they should look his way. Very similiar players with the same luck with injuries, perhaps a change of scenery would be good for both.

You might be right which is why he is probably be at geelong next year.

I tend to believe Art Vandelay_ in that Parfitt is most likely a list clogger for Geelong at this point.

He had had plenty of opportunities to cement his place in Geelong's best 22 over the years, but hasn't seized the day.

Just a sunk asset for Geelong at this point

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I tend to believe Art Vandelay_ in that Parfitt is most likely a list clogger for Geelong at this point.

He had had plenty of opportunities to cement his place in Geelong's best 22 over the years, but hasn't seized the day.

He is contracted. He will be at Geelong if he is not traded.

Are our standards really that low.
Utter crab. One of the worst mids in the comp.
He's bad, but not that bad. You're pushing it too far now.

Great person to have around, and in the age bracket we desperately lack players in. We've got virtually nobody in that 26-30 range, otherwise known as the prime of a players career.

Even this year, our list has basically been kids and old guys. It'll be worse than that next year as we move a few on and bring in another top 10 draft pick and whatever we get for Esava.

If we cop injuries again, it'll be a kid or cooked veteran coming in to replace them. That rarely ends well.

He's worth keeping if he hasn't got any takers IMO. Wouldn't be on much, and can run around in the VFL and add some experience there.

That system is a shambles anyway, we need as many senior bodies through there as we can get.

Quite possibly.
Struggle to think of a cats player that I have disliked seeing play more than Parfitt. Maybe Murdoch.
Don't worry, I get where you're coming from. For me it always comes back to expectation vs production.

After about his second year (2018) I never saw him becoming anything better than a solid role player. Bottom 6-10 in a good side.

So his last few years while frustrating, haven't really surprised me. He's just what I expected him to be.

He'll have the odd good game, or a shocking year like 2023, but buy and large that's was he is.

As footy fans, we should all come to realise that. Our like/dislike of certain players often comes mainly due to the expectations we set for them.

Just watch, Jhye Clark will be thrown to the wolves by the masses if he doesn't come on...such is the expectation on his shoulders.

Luckily, I reckon he has what it takes to live up to it.

He has been cemented in the best 22 for most of his career, he's just had a strange form slump over the past two years at an age where most players are hitting their primes, hitting rock bottom this year (well I hope that was rock bottom) where he should have been pushing for a B&F as the de facto leader of our midfield, but couldn't even earn a place in the team.

His form's been disappointing. When any player (let alone a Cat) has an inexplicable slump like this, I never make it personal. We don't know what's going on away from the field that could be contributing. I'm pretty sure that he cares and he's trying and it just hasn't clicked for whatever reason.

What I do know is I've seen him perform at a very high level in the AFL. Like Brad Close around 2021, I fell in love with Parfitt around 2018 because good things just seemed to happen when he was around the ball. If he can maintain the form he found on Saturday night, he's like a mature recruit in the midfield, just what we need. If we're keeping players like Tuohy, who'd probably be getting a tap on the shoulder if we were under any pressure to clear spots on our list, I'm keeping Parfitt without question.

He is but we wont get less than a r3 compo as fa next year so for that we may as well keep him for 12 months for useful depth.

He is but we wont get less than a r3 compo as fa next year so for that we may as well keep him for 12 months for useful depth.

I don't think Geelong will stand in his way if he wants to seek better/more opportunities elsewhere. Your club is very good in looking after players like that

Remove this Banner Ad

Back