Tas AFL team potential membership

Remove this Banner Ad

I get that it's an impressive number, but let's be real about it. They've sold 82k sticker packs. When 10% of the people realise their founding membership doesn't equate to anything more than stickers and an email, they'll throw a fit at not understanding they have to pay for an actual membership again. JJs did almost the same thing with the foundation memberships the year before they joined the NBL. Still gotta pay up for an actual membership when the time comes.

Having said that of the 82k (and more to come obvs), that'd probably be 30k from the north+NW and 45k from the south and the rest from interstate as a guess. Always thought 23k seats at a new stadium was gonna be way under when the membership tally comes through and the demand is there. The last thing you want though is paid up members missing out on seats to games. Otherwise it ends up a waitlist, and like MCC, Premier League clubs, etc it's just about how much you're willing to pay to get a seat rather than the inclusion of bringing in more members.

I get that it's an impressive number, but let's be real about it. They've sold 82k sticker packs. When 10% of the people realise their founding membership doesn't equate to anything more than stickers and an email, they'll throw a fit at not understanding they have to pay for an actual membership again. JJs did almost the same thing with the foundation memberships the year before they joined the NBL. Still gotta pay up for an actual membership when the time comes.

Having said that of the 82k (and more to come obvs), that'd probably be 30k from the north+NW and 45k from the south and the rest from interstate as a guess. Always thought 23k seats at a new stadium was gonna be way under when the membership tally comes through and the demand is there. The last thing you want though is paid up members missing out on seats to games. Otherwise it ends up a waitlist, and like MCC, Premier League clubs, etc it's just about how much you're willing to pay to get a seat rather than the inclusion of bringing in more members.
I'd like to think a 50% conversion rate on that for actual memberships. Given this incredible response to this 'giton'em' start to things, anything is possible. A starting 30-40,000 in 4 years seems a little under the mark now.
Its easy to see a 50,000 starting membership & a 23,000 seat stadium as really too small. I'd still say 30,000. with 35,000 for other events.

I mean, I highly doubt anyone thinks it will always be a $10 membership. Once a good and proper team is put together and rolled out it will be business as usual membership wise. And I for one will be shelling out for it.

I mean, I highly doubt anyone thinks it will always be a $10 membership. Once a good and proper team is put together and rolled out it will be business as usual membership wise. And I for one will be shelling out for it.
Yeah, I'll be buying one too, most likely an interstate membership.

Whenever the day comes that I move back to Tas though, I just hope there's not a system of having to buy a reserved seat for every season (like NBL) where you can't get a ticket to a game, despite having been a member for 5-10 years by that point.

I thought it was going to be $100 at least for a sticker pack and email. This is a very pleasant value for money surprise. I’m happily going to shell out full price for my watchAFL subscription through Tassie. I’m cautiously expecting 40k-50k real members when the first game is played.

There's the issue that WA has more than 5x the population, is far more concentrated in one area (Perth has ~70% of the state population), and West Coast nationalised the VFL. Unfortunately Tassie doesn't have these advantages. More likely we see a smaller diehard fanbase develop, rapidly overtaking GC / GWS but, without fudging the numbers through dirt cheap memberships, I can't see it hitting even North Melbourne levels any time in the next decade
I agreed at first, but after last nights 75k members and the talk of the people involved i disagree.

1) when the eagles first entered. the wafl was getting 10k to a game. thus diffusing a lot of support. tassie will be different. they will come.
2) perth in the early 2000's was only 1.3 million. with about 500 000 of them being freo supporters. i actually think the comparison in size is freo not north.
3) i'm from country WA, the distances many members where i'm from would drive is far bigger than tassie itself. thus the diffuse population isn't as big an issue as you think.
4) they will price according to supply and demand. with the long term aim of filling the stadium. you invite people in with cheap tickets true. but once you have a rusted on fan base you can raise prices. thus, i think they will be more limited by the stadium. not natural population limits.
5) because its associated with state patriotism you can get very good talent very quickly. Jack Riewolt has said hes going to visit every town in the state. they have Alastair lynch and richardson involved quickly. and talent like a former ceo of woolworths is the president of the board. i didn't quite know if I was correct about this before. but those sign-ons make me think i underestimated the impact.

6) they will far exceed north melbourne levels. I think 50k - 70K membership base.

A lot of people trying to downplay what a raging success this has been, no one involved could have dreamed to get this sort of a reaction in just 24 hours.
Yep fairs fair.

Just ordered mine. Got alot of love for the Island as a Tigers supporter, From Hart, Roach, Richo, Reiwoldt to big Benny Gale.

When the AFL let me, I'm going to change my AFL membership team of support to Tasmania.

My main membership is always going to be the 1000 dollar one I pay for Richmond but the AFL membership I'll use to support the Devils.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A lot of people trying to downplay what a raging success this has been, no one involved could have dreamed to get this sort of a reaction in just 24 hours.
I wonder if anyone can show me a single pre-18/3/2024 prediction that said Tasmania will sell more than 100k foundation memberships lol. Hindsight is so funny. Now that we have shown it's possible, some people want to say it was always going to be like that.

Last edited:
I wonder if anyone can show me a single 18/3/2024 prediction that said Tasmania will sell more than 100k foundation memberships lol. Hindsight is so funny. Now that we have shown it's possible, some people want to say it was always going to be like that.
I was expecting maybe 30 thousand at most.

100k is amazing. And at 10 dollars a pop that's a lot of money to help start up the team. Really proud of Tasmania.

Mate, I've been battling away on BF since 2009, pushing the Tassie barrow. Uphill a lot of times. The naysayers didn't matter then, they don't matter now. Its all up to us.
True footy people here in Tassie & elsewhere are all that matter.

I was expecting maybe 30 thousand at most.

100k is amazing. And at 10 dollars a pop that's a lot of money to help start up the team. Really proud of Tasmania.
That will pay for 10-15 new employees for a year.

People just want to be a part of something and love a bandwagon. The next phase is about conversion to higher models of membership.

Nobody could have thought 100k people would pay any money to be a Tassie member so far out from their first game. 23k stadium is unders. Sadly the cost will limit an increase in capacity. I'll be more keen to see them play at Launceston in front of more people. The people of Tasmania just keep getting underestimated. Give them 35k, no roof, bugger it. Do we not think they know what the cold is like lol. They'll be right and they'll show up.

Nobody could have thought 100k people would pay any money to be a Tassie member so far out from their first game. 23k stadium is unders. Sadly the cost will limit an increase in capacity. I'll be more keen to see them play at Launceston in front of more people. The people of Tasmania just keep getting underestimated. Give them 35k, no roof, bugger it. Do we not think they know what the cold is like lol. They'll be right and they'll show up.
No no, build it properly. The roof will be the thing that makes this stadium world class and suited to Tasmania.

No no, build it properly. The roof will be the thing that makes this stadium world class and suited to Tasmania.
Do you think an increase in capacity is on the cards or if the 23k stadium is built it has room to be configured to 30

Gotta remember that while the stadium is being designed for the Devils, they won't be the only tenant using it. And for that alone, it'll get used 7-11 times a year there.

Have to think outside the box with larger events coming down too. 23k will be fine for those, but for footy it's going to need to be 30k pretty damn quick.

I'm a northern Tasmanian and while Launceston will be getting some games the taskforce business case showed the team has to based out of Hobart to be viable long term. The new stadium in Hobart is also being designed so it can be increased to 32,000 and 40,000 down the track if numbers warrant it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back