• Van Demons

Votes: 19 6.0%
  • Devils

Votes: 270 85.4%
  • Tasmanian Tigers

Votes: 27 8.5%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

I know we have a Melbourne Demons, but c'mon we call them the 'Dees'.
HOW CAN WE NOT CALL THEM THE 'TASSIE DEVILS'!!
As others have stated if can't be the Tigers unfortunately.

Suggestions such as the 'Wattles' - yeah that will get the Island excited.
Imagine competing against against NBA and EPL for eyes with today's youth with a name like the 'Wattles'... lmao

Proteas

I know we have a Melbourne Demons, but c'mon we call them the 'Dees'.
HOW CAN WE NOT CALL THEM THE 'TASSIE DEVILS'!!
As others have stated if can't be the Tigers unfortunately.

Imagine competing against against NBA and EPL for eyes with today's youth with a name like the 'Wattles'... lmao

NSW Waratahs

Sent from my Louis Vuitton Jaffle Maker

I've thought about this for a long time.

I think Koala is a good team name/mascot. Then maybe you could have a nice, Australian Native Animal Rivalry with North Melbourne Kangaroos who are half-tasmanian anyway.

Otherwise, thinking along the lines of Giants, maybe a little bit further with that mystical Dungeons and Dragons type vibe? Say Tasmania Shadowmages Guild or something to that effect?
So you've got Demons, Giants, and Shadowmages Guild, that's three kind of mystical fantasy mythological teams, that's not enough for a whole Dungeons and Dragons theme round, but it's a start. Maybe all three teams could play eachother over a special weekend or something? Battle of something or other. Get BT to wear Viking Horns while he's commentating.

¯\(ツ)

I'd be happy with either of those two names personally.

Their new basketball side named themselves after ants.

I think Koala is a good team name/mascot. Then maybe you could have a nice, Australian Native Animal Rivalry with North Melbourne Kangaroos who are half-tasmanian anyway.

Otherwise, thinking along the lines of Giants, maybe a little bit further with that mystical Dungeons and Dragons type vibe? Say Tasmania Shadowmages Guild or something to that effect?
So you've got Demons, Giants, and Shadowmages Guild, that's three kind of mystical fantasy mythological teams, that's not enough for a whole Dungeons and Dragons theme round, but it's a start. Maybe all three teams could play eachother over a special weekend or something? Battle of something or other. Get BT to wear Viking Horns while he's commentating.

¯\(ツ)

Interesting suggestions.
So an AFL team is gonna call itself after the longest sleeping mammal in the World (at 20 hours a day average) - really..? Moreover, Koalas are not native to or found in the wild in Tasmania.
Conversely, the Tasmanian Devil is the states official animal emblem and it's also the world's largest surviving carnivorous marsupial only found in Tasmania...

Interesting suggestions.
So an AFL team is gonna call itself after the longest sleeping mammal in the World (at 20 hours a day average) - really..? Moreover, Koalas are not native to or found in the wild in Tasmania.
Conversely, the Tasmanian Devil is the states official animal emblem and it's also the world's largest surviving carnivorous marsupial only found in Tasmania...

I didn't know Tigers were native to Victoria, or Lions were native to Brisbane, or Giants were native to Sydney...

Nevertheless it just has to be Devils. The mascot would be the Tassie Devil and it'd feature on the logo, it would be enough to distinguish it from a mythical demon.

The only other compromise would be Tassie Bears (Koala) or Tassie Dolphins (which are common along shores) or Tassie Wolves to keep a connection to The Tassie Tigers, which we now know were more like Wolves anyway.

Screenshot_20220323-012740_Samsung Internet.jpg

Last edited:
Interesting suggestions.
i’ve seen heaps of koalas and i think they’re quite active, l mean mostly they just chew gumleafs but i don’t think they’re that sleepy.
And who cares if they are a bit snoozy anyway? Tassie has a pretty quiet and relaxed vibe, so it’s appropriate imo.
Pandas are heaps lazier i think your facts are wrong tbh.

Also i’ve never seen a kangaroo in north melbourne fwiw.

I didn't know Tigers were native to Victoria, or Lions were native to Brisbane, or Giants were native to Sydney...
We are talking about a mascot/name that is significant and iconic to the state and is already a registered name/logo of the AFL - it's a bit of a no-brainer really - and I think most Tasmanian's, including myself, will be shocked if the team isn't called the Devils...
Pick the mascot image to best brand your new competitive sporting team:
A Devil:
Devil.jpg

or a Koala:
Koala.jpg

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No Koalas in Tassie haha.
I don't mind the dragons, but as somebody said earlier, the Hydra would be more appropriate. (2headed water dragon)

¯\(ツ)

Nah...Star Wars is better. The Tassie Mandalorians. The Tassie Stormtroopers. The Tassie Sith. Not the Tassie Ewoks....

Mind you, it's a possibility the suits from marketing will get involved and we'll get the Tassie Force, in the true spirit of taking great things to the boardroom and using Powerpoint to turn them into vanilla...

Guess it depends on what they call the team in terms of location.
Are they going to call the team Tassie ???? or Hobart ???? or Launceston ????
If they call the team Tassie, then Tassie Devils is a given IMO. HAS to be that.
Hobart Devils just doesn't have the same ring to it.
So if they plan ahead for the possibility of more than one Tassie team, then they would be smart to go with Hobart or whatever to avoid having to potentially change the name down the track and alienate fans, but if they want an inclusive team for all Tasmanians, then limiting themselves to Hobart will alienate those from other towns.

Nah...Star Wars is better. The Tassie Mandalorians. The Tassie Stormtroopers. The Tassie Sith. Not the Tassie Ewoks....

Mind you, it's a possibility the suits from marketing will get involved and we'll get the Tassie Force, in the true spirit of taking great things to the boardroom and using Powerpoint to turn them into vanilla...
the afl is not going to pay for the licensing of star wars IP, lol. The best we can hope for is some knock-off type thing like “tasmania space wizards”, and you know what, I’m down for that. Great idea!

We are talking about a mascot/name that is significant and iconic to the state and is already a registered name/logo of the AFL - it's a bit of a no-brainer really - and I think most Tasmanian's, including myself, will be shocked if the team isn't called the Devils...
Pick the mascot image to best brand your new competitive sporting team:
A Devil:
View attachment 1351916

or a Koala:
View attachment 1351917
Love the koala. Iconic!!!

Surely we can introduce a few in Tassie?

Back