Test cricket is dying, let's help save it

Remove this Banner Ad

Teams already often play for the draw when they're ahead in a series. Don't hear you complaining about it
No problem at all with teams playing for a draw if they're ahead in a series. Doesn't mean they're going to get it. The point is that it's much more difficult to achieve the desired outcome of a draw in a five day match. You might as well try to win it. Getting a draw from a four day match would clearly be much easier, and much less of an achievement than preventing the opposition from taking 20 wickets over five days.

Last edited:
No problem at all with teams playing for a draw if they're ahead in a series. Doesn't mean they're going to get it. The point is that it's much more difficult to achieve the desired outcome of a draw in a five day match. You might as well try to win it. Getting a draw from a four day match would clearly be much easier, and much less of an achievement that preventing the opposition from taking 20 wickets over five days.
Would you really have a problem with it if we were up 1-0 needing a drawn series to clinch a spot in the WTC final? Would the Indians be upset if kohli looked for a draw in the last test of a series if they were ahead?

Nope

Would you really have a problem with it if we were up 1-0 needing a drawn series to clinch a spot in the WTC final? Would the Indians be upset if kohli looked for a draw in the last test of a series if they were ahead?

Nope

Would I be upset if Kohli looked for a draw in the last test of a series if we were ahead?

No.

Does that make it a better format because of that?

No.

Would I be upset if Kohli looked for a draw in the last test of a series if we were ahead?

No.

Does that make it a better format because of that?

No.
Is that a petty way of looking at it?

Yes

Do you secretly love the idea of four day tests but have come too far to give up now?

Hell yea

You've got a chip on your shoulder. It's huge. You often grizzle that green seamers are tolerated but not spinning wickets and you get upset when your team struggles overseas on those tracks. I don't know why. Pitches aren't true green seamers any more in the west, they're flat as.

I do get upset that obviously tampered green seamers get favoured as great wickets as opposed to the same done to a wicket to assist spin. Don't think I've ever denied that.

It is also true that I get upset when I see my team playing brainless shots while playing on seaming wickets. You should become an astrologer.

I do get upset that obviously tampered green seamers get favoured as great wickets as opposed to the same done to a wicket to assist spin. Don't think I've ever denied that.

It is also true that I get upset when I see my team playing brainless shots while playing on seaming wickets. You should become an astrologer.
It's just fear of the unknown. Ignorance if you will. You don't trust that we have cricket's best interests at heart. Same as us about you to be fair.

Don't know what green seamers you're talking about because the test world hasn't seen one aside from NZ in 2002 and one or two a year in England. Pitches are pretty flat now .

So we'll have to agree to disagree. My point stands that IMHO test cricket needs huge changes and four days are actually just the start.....

It's just fear of the unknown. Ignorance if you will. You don't trust that we have cricket's best interests at heart. Same as us about you to be fair.

Don't know what green seamers you're talking about because the test world hasn't seen one aside from NZ in 2002 and one or two a year in England. Pitches are pretty flat now .

So we'll have to agree to disagree. My point stands that IMHO test cricket needs huge changes and four days are actually just the start.....

SA produces plenty of green seamers btw. As do England from time to time. NZ actually produces wickets that start green but turn into roads these days. On the four day experiment, like you said, let's agree to disagree.

I’m in agreement with Park Cricketer here.
I personally enjoy watching green flyers to crumbling dust bowls from an aesthetic point of view but I have no dramas with the idea that pitches become minefields for the tweakers.
And some of the most fascinating cricket I’ve watched is batsmen trying to survive on those decks - Amla’s masterclass 9-10 years ago in India springs to mind.

The same product compacted to 4 days instead of 5 isn’t going to suddenly make it a better product.

I don't really see why the ICC would need to mandate 4 day tests to achieve what people in here want. If the argument is financial about host boards losing money, then those boards are perfectly entitled to host 4 day tests under the current regulations. I see no reason for that to change. I also see no reason to mandate 4 day tests, when during the Ashes for example 5 day tests are perfectly fine and presumably profitable.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't really see why the ICC would need to mandate 4 day tests to achieve what people in here want. If the argument is financial about host boards losing money, then those boards are perfectly entitled to host 4 day tests under the current regulations. I see no reason for that to change. I also see no reason to mandate 4 day tests, when during the Ashes for example 5 day tests are perfectly fine and presumably profitable.
Scheduling for the WTC. With mandated three day breaks between tests, as there has been for years, a three test series can't logically be done in three weeks, unless you play one midweek. Having Thursday to Sunday three weeks in a row works better.

No salary cap in cricket, so what's to stop our fringe players going to NZ or England for two years say, and some third party paying them $500000 per year to play for them? Plus match fees that's damn good coin, good holiday for the players and the chance to play tests, which they never would here
Money better coin here then in NZ most of the players there are only contracted for 7 months

Scheduling for the WTC. With mandated three day breaks between tests, as there has been for years, a three test series can't logically be done in three weeks, unless you play one midweek. Having Thursday to Sunday three weeks in a row works better.
Host boards are entitled to schedule how they want? So if the board wants it done in 3 weeks it can be by use of 4 day tests, otherwise not. I don't think the championship is that tight on time that we don't have 4 weeks for each series, so don't really see it as an issue

How to fix cricket
1 Stop India from blocking T20 becoming an Olympic sport

2 Get rid of all T20 internationals outside of Olympic qualifiers

3 Having the Cricket in the Olympics will open the sport to new markets and you will see increased government investment in a lot of non traditional markets. In the short term that will do nothing for test cricket but you can see the growth in 15 aside rugby off the back rugby 7s becoming an Olympic sport

4 Reduce meaningless ODIs open the World Cup up to minnows again. People say that having minnows in the World Cup is a waste of time but Sri Lanka started out as a minnow and won the 96 World Cup and were runners up in 07

5 Create a clear path to gaining test status so minnow nations know what they have to achieve and can set goals around achieve test status

6 Help aspiring nations set up domestic first class competitions so the players can get exposure to playing red ball cricket.

7 Have more A tours so young players can get exposure playing in overseas conditions

8 Let aspiring nations play first class matches against test teams A sides and other aspiring nations so they get use to touring and playing overseas

Good thing there's not a 5 day Test in SA. It would already be a draws. Can't see how having less time helps Test Crickets. Can only be more draws and with any result games you still get unbalanced results due to home ground advantage. Funnily enough, people always turn the TV on and watch it.
Phew thank god there's one good test match every 37 game. Definitely don't change anything then.

What are you seeking to gain by cutting down a day? Just change for the sake of it I guess..
I don't know why not read the multiple reasons why already posted in the thread instead of taking up such a defensive stance.

No problem at all with teams playing for a draw if they're ahead in a series. Doesn't mean they're going to get it. The point is that it's much more difficult to achieve the desired outcome of a draw in a five day match. You might as well try to win it. Getting a draw from a four day match would clearly be much easier, and much less of an achievement than preventing the opposition from taking 20 wickets over five days.
How come in your head an many others you fail to grasp that wickets would be changed to suit 4 day matches instead of being 5 day wickets in 4 day games.
Instead of the wickets being dead from lunch on day 1 till day 4 you would actually be forced to juice it up from ball 1 and leave some grass on it.

Phew thank god there's one good test match every 37 game. Definitely don't change anything then.

That only applies to Test Cricket in Australia. There's generally cracking Test Cricket going on elsewhere, for instance the two Tests already in the SA/Eng series were miles better then anything here for a while.

4 Day Tests won't solve that issue.

How come in your head an many others you fail to grasp that wickets would be changed to suit 4 day matches instead of being 5 day wickets in 4 day games.
Instead of the wickets being dead from lunch on day 1 till day 4 you would actually be forced to juice it up from ball 1 and leave some grass on it.

Who is going to force this? The rules state 90 overs are to be bowled a day and it doesn't happen, no one cares about the consequences.

This is a fantasy that cutting down a day and a few directives thrown is going to result in brilliant pitches world wide. The MCG was a disgrace for years and nothing was done.

Who is going to force this? The rules state 90 overs are to be bowled a day and it doesn't happen, no one cares about the consequences.

This is a fantasy that cutting down a day and a few directives thrown is going to result in brilliant pitches world wide. The MCG was a disgrace for years and nothing was done.
Pretty simple. Deduct points in the test championship.

That only applies to Test Cricket in Australia. There's generally cracking Test Cricket going on elsewhere, for instance the two Tests already in the SA/Eng series were miles better then anything here for a while.

4 Day Tests won't solve that issue.

That's just a complete and utter fallacy

Remove this Banner Ad

Back