Fixture Test cricket 2030 - who will be playing it?

Remove this Banner Ad

So are local cricket competitions that still persist with 2 day 80 over cricket.
60 over 2 day cricket should happen.

Why would you take up T20 when baseball is already a better sport?

Baseball in America is struggling to stay relevant, they are changing the rules every season to try and make the games quicker as the majority of viewers are older people.

It will take time but I can see T20 cricket having potential in America.

Absolutely, even making it 70 overs would keep people interested as games wouldn't go past 6pm.

They should really be trying to get games finished by 5pm.
Nah, 72 overs still takes you to 6:15 most of the time.

First XI should be 80, second down 60. A team with a couple of spinners can finish at 4:30 and watch the ones

Nah, 72 overs still takes you to 6:15 most of the time.

First XI should be 80, second down 60. A team with a couple of spinners can finish at 4:30 and watch the ones

Agree that second 11 shouldn't play 80 overs anymore.

Discussion came up at work recently and this is spot on I reckon in terms of top quality test cricket, India are no certainty to still be playing on a test level with Australia and England.

Archers contract is the tipping point and the best players from the other test nations will be on Yearly T20 contracts.

At worse Australia and England will still play the ashes every 2 years, I would be gobsmacked if the Ashes ends up disappearing entirely while I'm still alive although the grade cricket podcast is calling this years ashes series the last ever.

I can see tests gone within 10 years. As T20 becomes dominant, the interest in the longer game will decline, from advertisers, crowds and support for development of players.

Absolutely, even making it 70 overs would keep people interested as games wouldn't go past 6pm.

They should really be trying to get games finished by 5pm.
When i played we started at 11am. On hot days why could that not be 9am and get it done. The sport has never tried to help itself

When i played we started at 11am. On hot days why could that not be 9am and get it done. The sport has never tried to help itself
Because junior cricket is usually on until 11?

Cant remember juniors being on a single one of our grounds but yeah that still may have been a reason tbh. Fair call
The issue is also for a lot of sub-district and lower grade teams having lots of Dads, potentially with their own kids filling in, who also might be coaching so it allows them a chance to finish up at one side of the city, have lunch and make it to the senior game at the other end of town.

I get no joy in saying this but Australia and England will be the only countries who still give a rats about test cricket by the time England hosts the 2027 Ashes series.

I genuinely believe we live in a different age, alot more in todays society is about 'instant satisfaction'. A game of test cricket, spanning over 4-5 days , eats into peoples time. The simple reality is people done have the attention span anymore.

A 3-3.5 hour T20 game fits in the modern society in it allows people with full time jobs to fit in with a game of cricket after works.

I feel like society wants cricket 7 days a week but arent willing to invest 8 hours a day or even 9 hours a day to accommodate.

From a marketing point of view, you want more eyeballs on cricket, but test cricket in Australia and Sheffield cricket in Australia, have other competing codes in the nation as well, which are trying to grab on to every viewer they can. Wherever there is money, will be where test cricket survives- its just as simple as that. Think of the ads, social media, billboards around town etc etc In Austrlalia the other spodes codes its technically a war within a war. Im also of the belief this upcoming Ashes in England will struggle to get the interest of the normal Australian sports citizen- especially with the time hour difference. In this country , AFL/NRL have always been the king pins. And even the A-League especially after the Socceroos World Cup heroics has eaten into the Australian cricket team dominance in the media. And we havent even discussed about the other popular sports that overlap with the Australian cricket team when they play: NBA, NFL, EPL, German Bundesliga, Tennis tournaments (in particular the grand slams), golf majors and Olympics/World Cups when they come.

In Summer, you have the thriving NBL with big playoff crowds recently doing well.

I think personally T20 cricket will be the future of the game, especially if it gets its foothold into the door of the Olympics. I feel like Test Cricket had the chance to expand, in the 90s or even 2000s but never fully took that chance.

Ask yourself this outside the big 3 nations, would a neutral consider watching or even turning up to watch a series between two nations? I for one would not have much interest to be fair. It feels like T20 franchise leagues have taken away the glamour, the colour and the people all in one go and left test cricket reeling.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I genuinely believe we live in a different age, alot more in todays society is about 'instant satisfaction'. A game of test cricket, spanning over 4-5 days , eats into peoples time. The simple reality is people done have the attention span anymore.

A 3-3.5 hour T20 game fits in the modern society in it allows people with full time jobs to fit in with a game of cricket after works.

I feel like society wants cricket 7 days a week but arent willing to invest 8 hours a day or even 9 hours a day to accommodate.

From a marketing point of view, you want more eyeballs on cricket, but test cricket in Australia and Sheffield cricket in Australia, have other competing codes in the nation as well, which are trying to grab on to every viewer they can. Wherever there is money, will be where test cricket survives- its just as simple as that. Think of the ads, social media, billboards around town etc etc In Austrlalia the other spodes codes its technically a war within a war. Im also of the belief this upcoming Ashes in England will struggle to get the interest of the normal Australian sports citizen- especially with the time hour difference. In this country , AFL/NRL have always been the king pins. And even the A-League especially after the Socceroos World Cup heroics has eaten into the Australian cricket team dominance in the media. And we havent even discussed about the other popular sports that overlap with the Australian cricket team when they play: NBA, NFL, EPL, German Bundesliga, Tennis tournaments (in particular the grand slams), golf majors and Olympics/World Cups when they come.

In Summer, you have the thriving NBL with big playoff crowds recently doing well.

I think personally T20 cricket will be the future of the game, especially if it gets its foothold into the door of the Olympics. I feel like Test Cricket had the chance to expand, in the 90s or even 2000s but never fully took that chance.

Ask yourself this outside the big 3 nations, would a neutral consider watching or even turning up to watch a series between two nations? I for one would not have much interest to be fair. It feels like T20 franchise leagues have taken away the glamour, the colour and the people all in one go and left test cricket reeling.
The issue I have with this notion whilst I agree with most of it, is it allows people to portray anyone that watches T20 as dumb and uneducated, whilst those that watch Test Cricket are enlightened and more sophisticated.

There are many reasons to enjoy and embrace all forms of cricket whilst they are here without being an elitist (not aiming this at you in any way, just saying that alot of the times this type of sentiment is used to justify cricket snobbery).

The issue I have with this notion whilst I agree with most of it, is it allows people to portray anyone that watches T20 as dumb and uneducated, whilst those that watch Test Cricket are enlightened and more sophisticated.

There are many reasons to enjoy and embrace all forms of cricket whilst they are here without being an elitist (not aiming this at you in any way, just saying that alot of the times this type of sentiment is used to justify cricket snobbery).
I was speaking to a guy , I think he was Irish at the time, he deemed cricket as a sport for the 'elitist' or the 'posh'. I think there is a bit of perception that test cricket has this certain stereotype. Whislt he didnt know cricket that well, he did know who Eoin Morgan was, which was kind of interesting.

Having watched my very first Test cricket match in 1992,I have seen how Test cricket has evolved as a sport. I think the tradition of test cricket in the foundation countries will always be strong. But im not of the belief that the game can expand mainly due to the money side of things and incentives. A kid for instance growing up in the Carribean , dare I say it has probably lost the desire to play test cricket. Do you ever hear of guys like Alzarri Joseph, Nicholas Pooran coming out and saying that 'test cricket is my love or number 1 goal'. Outside the big 3 , its seen as a huge achievement to repreresent that part of the world on the global stage, but the pecking order of the sports has changed. A professional sportsman has to do what he can to survive and making a loving. And we often hear about the West Indian players in disputes with their boards in relatin to payments.

Not disputing that T20 will kill test cricket but just wanted to clarify a few misconceptions stated here.

1. That cricket struggles against other sports during overseas tours - this has always been the case in Australia. Peak eyeballs are late December to late January. General fans aren't interested in cricket outside this period, including IPL. Ashes in England has always had limited interest - the time zone hasn't suddenly changed.

2. West Indies players have always been in dispute with their board over payments.

3. Test cricket was never going to expand in the 1990s and 2000s beyond adding a few associate members. T20 may do it but I doubt it - there are too many obstacles in big markets (e.g. space to play, competing sports, India's dominance and limited appeal as an attractor society).

You can drift in and out of a test match, that’s part of its appeal.

Have you seen some of the convoluted jibberish these grifter t20 analysts come up with? Tell me that’s not elitist.

I get no joy in saying this but Australia and England will be the only countries who still give a rats about test cricket by the time England hosts the 2027 Ashes series.
Australians don't like test cricket. We like playing England.

We have spent all that time playing England as often as we can, plus whichever other team is going the best - it's been India recently, but before that West Indies for 20 years or so. But everyone else, if we play them at all, we do it through gritted teeth, and only the diehards go.

I mean, really, what have we ever done to grow the game outside of our own country?

One thing that will need to be figured out if cricket shifts towards Domestic T20 leagues as the main drawcard is the scheduling. Particularly around Jan-Feb right now you have BBL, SA20, Dubai and Bangladesh leagues all on at the same time.

How would you structure a 12 month calendar with International breaks and fit in all the various leagues.

Jan: BBL
Feb: Dubai
Mar: Pakistan Super League
Apr: IPL
May: IPL
Jun: Bangladesh Premier League (not sure if June is optimal ?)
Jul: The Hundred (or whatever ECB replace it with)
Aug: US Major League Cricket (if its financed by Google then hard to see it not taking off)
Sep: Caribbean Premier League
Oct: South Africa T20 League
Nov: New Zealand T20 League
Dec: BBL

Australians don't like test cricket. We like playing England.

We have spent all that time playing England as often as we can, plus whichever other team is going the best - it's been India recently, but before that West Indies for 20 years or so. But everyone else, if we play them at all, we do it through gritted teeth, and only the diehards go.

I mean, really, what have we ever done to grow the game outside of our own country?
England seem to make an effort for instance to try to grow the game a bit more than Australia do. I think of countless and even at times probably meaningless fixtures with neighbours: Scotland and Ireland. Even New Zealand have made efforts to tour the Netherlands in ODI cricket.

Cricket Australia administrators will point out to the heavy schedule and all but I do agree with the case in point that Australia should or could tour Scotland and Ireland on top of the Ashes tour just to give these countries exposure to international cricket. Look at how well some of the imports for instance in the IPL Final: Josh Little, Rashid Khan and Noor did coming from countries like Afghanistan /Ireland.

If you dont give these countries exposure, unfortunately the game wont grow.

One thing that will need to be figured out if cricket shifts towards Domestic T20 leagues as the main drawcard is the scheduling. Particularly around Jan-Feb right now you have BBL, SA20, Dubai and Bangladesh leagues all on at the same time.

How would you structure a 12 month calendar with International breaks and fit in all the various leagues.

Jan: BBL
Feb: Dubai
Mar: Pakistan Super League
Apr: IPL
May: IPL
Jun: Bangladesh Premier League (not sure if June is optimal ?)
Jul: The Hundred (or whatever ECB replace it with)
Aug: US Major League Cricket (if its financed by Google then hard to see it not taking off)
Sep: Caribbean Premier League
Oct: South Africa T20 League
Nov: New Zealand T20 League
Dec: BBL
No reason competitions can't be on at the same time.

England, France, Spain, Germany, etc all have their soccer leagues going on at the same time, with the best players spread around.

No reason competitions can't be on at the same time.

England, France, Spain, Germany, etc all have their soccer leagues going on at the same time, with the best players spread around.
The international talent pool is a lot wider in Soccer than it is in Cricket.

I mean look at the "International talent" that the BBL is able to secure. Bunch of no name country players looking for a summer holiday, which ultimately degrades the quality of the product.

Would much prefer fewer concurrent T20 leagues if it meant the standard of game was higher.

The international talent pool is a lot wider in Soccer than it is in Cricket.

I mean look at the "International talent" that the BBL is able to secure. Bunch of no name country players looking for a summer holiday, which ultimately degrades the quality of the product.

Would much prefer fewer concurrent T20 leagues if it meant the standard of game was higher.
If you wanted international talent you could just watch international cricket.

Everyone will seem like a no name in the BBL soon enough as the only way they become names in Australia in the first place is through international cricket which we're saying will barely be played.

There also isn't going to be rolling list of tournaments. There will be an extended IPL and then a few IPL-lites played elsewhere with IPL-affiliated teams. The rest of the tournaments will fight for scraps.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back