Toast The 1914 Indestructibles

Remove this Banner Ad

I knew this one would attract you.
Haha what really attracted me was the tweet from The Port Players I saw this morning with Harold Oliver's motorbike and thought of this thread. Now if I can only remember that twitter account I can link it.

@PAFC_Players.

I thought if you clicked on the pic you would either see the entire tweet, including the account name, or be taken to the account.
It did. I obviously didn't move my cursor across enough. Thanks for the link and yes that's what I saw yesterday.

More Oliver Goodness - An interview with him from 1946.

Things I never knew:
  1. He lived in Broken Hill from the age of 5-17. Played league football for South Broken Hill at 17.
  2. Norwood heavily were into him when he arrived in Adelaide.
  3. Disgruntled in his first year before he debuted because Port organised him with a s**t job. Started training with West Torrens...came back because of a contract. Board took him fishing to make amends.
  4. His BOG performance against South Australia in 1914 was done concussed. He quipped that he was a better footballer concussed.

Attachments

• nla.news-page11125181-3.pdf
    1,007.2 KB · Views: 19
Imagine a world where a scrubber team of ex-AFL players and knockabouts is compared to one of the greatest teams in Australian Rules history.

* off Glenelg.

Imagine a world where a scrubber team of ex-AFL players and knockabouts is compared to one of the greatest teams in Australian Rules history.

fu** off Glenelg.

It was giving me “Centrals’ dynasty is more impressive than what the Magpies ever did!!1 🤪” flashbacks.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

More Oliver Goodness - An interview with him from 1946.

Things I never knew:
  1. He lived in Broken Hill from the age of 5-17. Played league football for South Broken Hill at 17.

6F11148E-060C-4749-8E40-157402D547E2.jpeg

Well, that all-time NSW SOO forward line just got even chonkier

The best team that ever was!
Have thought for a long long time that the period from 1901 to the end of WW1 (including the Patriotic years) was the most dominant era by any top level footy club in the nation at any time in any era.

Unrivalled number of GF's, minor premierships, never finishing below 3rd (twice one of which was in 1902 when they objected to an umpire and were barred from the GF), 3 x Champions of Australia, etc.

2 decades of dominance!

Sturt go 8-0 but fall in the 9th game. Our AFL side also have won 10 in a row.

This side went undefeated for 33 games in a row. What our 1914 side did was pretty special.
PortAdelaide1914.jpg

Sturt go 8-0 but fall in the 9th game. Our AFL side also have won 10 in a row.

This side went undefeated for 33 games in a row. What our 1914 side did was pretty special.
PortAdelaide1914.jpg

33 games between 1913 and 1915, with 2 state GF, 2 CofA, and 1 match v. South Australia in the mix.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back