Preview The 2012 Adelaide Board Finals Megathread

Remove this Banner Ad

Gees well what would Goodes do than? I'm starting to lean towards Shaw v Reid & Talia v Goodes.
Who does Rutten go on then?

Their resting ruckmen only spend small portions of the game up forward.

If LRT plays down back then Truck could be left without an opponent.

Word from Sydney is that Reid has been pacticing Ruckwork at training this week. I found that strange as a youny KPF coming back from injury and he is also pretty lightly framed. This may be a hint that maybe someone like Pyke could be a late out?

It was funny, because he had, until last week, been quite big wraps for us. It was almost like he was hormonal last week, or Sando had run over his cat or something. He seemed quite petulant when he talked about us in such a dismissive way.

I didn't miss last week. I was a little surprised but then I thought about the game he would have just seen us play against Brisbane would have been colouring his opinion strongly I think. That game was shocking with a lot of passengers on the team and wouldn't give a lot of people confidence coming in. I'm more a glass half full person, so I look at it as a great kick in the pants type game. Or alternatively the 'loss we had to have'.

I don't remember him saying that Freo would beat us, as there haven't been any calculations where we would be playing Freo in the finals, even at that stage. All of them talked up Freo's great run and none of them mentioned the loss against us, as it is a statistic that disproves their theory about their top form. Lies and omissions the best part of giving an opinion. ;)

What are people's thoughts on the other 3 finals? Who will we be hoping wins?

Hawthorn v Collingwood - Not really sure about this one, as we won't know at the time whether we beat Sydney or not. If we win, it's highly likely we play the loser of this game in a PF at AAMI. If that's the case, I reckon I almost prefer Hawthorn, given the teams' respective records here and the fact we'd probably have to play Hawthorn at some stage anyway - better to play them at AAMI than at the G. If we lose, we play the winner of this game at the MCG in a prelim (should we get that far). Would probably prefer that to be Collingwood as well tbh. So either way... Go Collingwood.

Geelong v Fremantle - If we lose on Saturday, we play the winner of this game in week 2. Would much prefer Freo. Their form is so overrated it's ridiculous, they haven't beaten anyone. If we win, the winner of this goes into the other side of the draw, in which case I want the team capable of doing the most damage going through. That's Geelong. So the team I barrack for in this one depends on how we go on Saturday.

West Coast v North Melbourne - It's pretty unlikely that either of these teams go far enough to play us in the finals, but if one of them was to knock off the loser of Hawthorn-Collingwood, that would be helpful. I reckon West Coast are more likely to do that, and by the time they got to a PF/GF they would be spent. Go West Coast.

Who does Rutten go on then?

Their resting ruckmen only spend small portions of the game up forward.

If LRT plays down back then Truck could be left without an opponent.

Reid didn't play last week and will replace LRT at full forward, probably on Talia. Goodes will play at Centre Half Forward (or basically go wherever he likes) and will be picked up by Sam Shaw (gulp) which leaves Mumford and Pyke in the Ruck and changing up forward. Rutten will line up on these guys, giving away lots of height but the old Truck would handle them well.

Mumford has spent quite a bit of time up forward this year but Sydney have played three talls in attack for almost the entire season. When Goodes goes into the midfield they still have two marking targets. Over the last month Mumford has spent 70%+ time on ball so Truck will be standing Pyke for most of the time.

If Sydney want to be tricky they could move LRT to the backlines, Reid to Full Forward/CHF and drop Pyke. This would make things tough for truck because we could move Sam Shaw onto a smaller opponent (e.g. O'Keefe) but Truck on Reid or Goodes is a bit of a worry. There has been no talk out of Sydney about droppong Pyke so they must rate him quite highly. If Grundy wasn't absent they could use LRT as the back-up ruck but I doubt that they would risk rucking Reid or Goodes against Tippett.

What are people's thoughts on the other 3 finals? Who will we be hoping wins?

Hawthorn v Collingwood - Not really sure about this one, as we won't know at the time whether we beat Sydney or not. If we win, it's highly likely we play the loser of this game in a PF at AAMI. If that's the case, I reckon I almost prefer Hawthorn, given the teams' respective records here and the fact we'd probably have to play Hawthorn at some stage anyway - better to play them at AAMI than at the G. If we lose, we play the winner of this game at the MCG in a prelim (should we get that far). Would probably prefer that to be Collingwood as well tbh. So either way... Go Collingwood.
Agree with this. Playing the Hawks at home and Collingwood at the G is much better than the other way around.

Assuming Reid plays, I would have Shaw on Goodes and Talia on Reid.
Goodes is a more dangerous match winner, so warrants Talia as more likely to shut him down.

This leaves Shaw on Reid, who is coming back from injury.

Anyone else noticed Talia has played a fair bit more link work and up the ground work in the last few weeks? Been getting ready to cover Goodes for a while now imo.

Anyone else noticed Talia has played a fair bit more link work and up the ground work in the last few weeks? Been getting ready to cover Goodes for a while now imo.

I wouldn't dismiss this as a possibility but the explosive pace of Goodes may be better matched up with Sam "Roadrunner" Shaw. It may depend whether Sydney decide to play Goodes deeper in the forward line (i.e. Full Forward) and Reid further up the field. They do like to bring up their forwards towards a midfield stoppage to provide the opportunity for Goodes to get his man over the back. I think Sam Shaw will be better at matching Goodes in these scenarios.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I didn't miss last week. I was a little surprised but then I thought about the game he would have just seen us play against Brisbane would have been colouring his opinion strongly I think. That game was shocking with a lot of passengers on the team and wouldn't give a lot of people confidence coming in. I'm more a glass half full person, so I look at it as a great kick in the pants type game. Or alternatively the 'loss we had to have'.

I don't remember him saying that Freo would beat us, as there haven't been any calculations where we would be playing Freo in the finals, even at that stage. All of them talked up Freo's great run and none of them mentioned the loss against us, as it is a statistic that disproves their theory about their top form. Lies and omissions the best part of giving an opinion. ;)
It was before last weeks game and he did say that about Freo beating us.

Agree with this. Playing the Hawks at home and Collingwood at the G is much better than the other way around.
I think we're more likely to beat Collingwood in the prelim than Hawthorn. I'd rather get to the GF, as anything can happen on that day. Often the prelim is more daunting than the GF.

changes from the round 6 encounter
us-
out: Henderson, Jaensch, Mckernan, Lyons
in: Vince, Douglas, Shaw, Riley

them-
out: Seaby, Grundy, Everitt
in: Mumford, Pyke, Walsh
Wait he's still in the team!? All of a sudden I feel a bit more confident.

I think we're more likely to beat Collingwood in the prelim than Hawthorn. I'd rather get to the GF, as anything can happen on that day. Often the prelim is more daunting than the GF.

I got a sneaky feeling that Collingwood might just get over the Hawks tomorrow night, however with that said let's focus on Syd first

I feel quite confident about saturday.

Can't put my finger on it, nothing logical, just a sense there is another gear up their sleeve.

I'm confident we will win this one provided that we get off to a good start. Sydney has had three hard games in a row and this will be their third week in a row on the road. We have had a couple of easy games coming into the finals to freshen us up. There are also signs that our 'tapering' has worked to perfection. I expect us to run over the top of them in the last.
The only way I can see Sydney winning this is if our inexperienced players choke in the big-time finals atmosphere.
This group has some arrogance about it with their expectations and I like that. We have a terrific will to win. I'm looking forard to being one of 50,000 that strike fear into the hearts of the Swans with our mightty roar on Saturday.

Wait he's still in the team!? All of a sudden I feel a bit more confident.
It's good news.

Nothing against Walsh, but it means Rutten will always have someone to play on.

I was wondering how our structure would look if they went with Reid and Goodes as their marking targets up forward. When Truck was left without an opponent at Geelong this year our structure went to s**t, we tried him up forward, then subbed him off. This is perfect.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back