List Mgmt. The 2019 Trade and Free Agency Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Plenty of talk about Tomlinson running both ways, having a good tank, etc, but seems more like that has the caveat "for a big guy" on the end of it. He kicked 4 goals in 25 games last year, averaged 2.5 tackles, 2.5 inside 50s and 1.5 rebound 50s a game. In the games I watched, he didn't do much other than take the odd grab on the wing and slow the play down. Don't want to keep repeating myself though, but what Tomlinson actually offers versus what people say he brings to the table are going to be a distance apart, IMO.
I'm not sure why, but I get the feeling you don't like Tomlinson

I'm not sure why, but I get the feeling you don't like Tomlinson

I think you might be delusional. There's no evidence to support that theory.

Dees set to officially meet with Murray this week.

I really enjoyed this line ...

"The Dees already have 35 and are set to use three or four selections in this month's NAB AFL Draft, headlined by picks three and eight."

When your third pick is currently at pick 96, I think you can pretty safely assume we wouldn't be taking any more ...

Tomlinson is a big guy. But has a massive tank regardless of his size. I suspect he’ll be a wingman who’ll drop back at times particularly if we don’t go with 3 key defenders. Could also pinch hit in ruck. I also suspect he may be a bit of a mr fixit.

I really enjoyed this line ...

"The Dees already have 35 and are set to use three or four selections in this month's NAB AFL Draft, headlined by picks three and eight."

When your third pick is currently at pick 96, I think you can pretty safely assume we wouldn't be taking any more ...
They seem to be under the impression that we're either going to split a pick or trade into a later round of the draft using a 2020 pick.

Some of my thoughts on the last few pages:

- Tomlinson is rather average. Likely to be a looked better in a better team type trade. If he can run hard both ways, take a contested mark and do some tidy kicking and slow down the play at the right times he will be handy, but from what I've seen he doesn't do this consistently. Langdons kicking will s**t us and both will get sucked into the contest eventually anyway.

- I'm fine with our KPF's. Tmac and Weid both injured this year and TMac in 17/18 showed he is good in the role and i still believe in Weid as his kicking action and tackling form is solid but he needs more game time and consistency with a settled team to get on the end of some good leads. If he played for WC or any team with good I50 entries he would be very good. Petty probably the best contested mark out of them.

- We desperately need more small pressure forwards. Other well coached teams have shown that you can use quick but also fairly under-developed 1st and 2nd year late draft picks to do this but we don't have the capacity to develop them/ pick them (although i'm more inclined to think its development). Still perplexed why we threw away all our 3rd and 4th picks as having a pick in the 40's is still an advantage than in the 70's if you have your eyes on a certain pressure forward player.

- Would rather a free hit with Bennell or Murray than Martin as most would probably agree. Absolute no on even considering Menzel as we already have terrible forward pressure.

- I like the sound of drafting Young or a similarly skilled and hard/ fast running type. But like all other outside players we have or had (i.e Baker is basically it atm), their potential or natural skill will never been fully realised because of the terrible way we play.

Can anybody read the article about the Freo pick swap with us to move up to get Jackson at 3? I cant cause poxy paywall

(Log in to remove this ad.)

*in' ripper- Bennell and Murray. Two players with drug histories. Perfect replacements for Watts and Hogan albeit a little tardy. Been saying it for years- every premiership team needs a couple of party boys. Can't see Tommy Mac organising blow any time soon, can you? Top 4 incoming.

Also yes please to Jack Martin because I want to see Shithead Steven Silvagno getting spat on by the media some more. * Carlton.

Re our KPFs I’m not worried. Sure Petty is raw, TMac possibly not number 1 KPF material and Weideman s**t but if our midfield gets back to 2018 inside dominance AND we can supplement that with appropriately used quality forward half users like Fritsch, Melksham, Petracca, Spargo lol, Salem and Bennell (and you add good kicks like Young, Hore, May and Lever - maybe Sparrow and Harmes - to the back six for 22 games which allows the aforementioned to play forward for the full season) to hit them up the KPFs will look a lot better no matter who they are. Especially if that group can also jag their own goals. Getting our four inside mids to gel with the forward distributors (and getting Tomlinson/Langdon to add defensive pressure + outside run) is the key for our off season. Having good KPDs (tick) and KPFs (ummm - no tick) is a bonus but not going to define our year. Same with small forwards IMO. I don’t think we need one as badly as everyone thinks

Re our KPFs I’m not worried. Sure Petty is raw, TMac possibly not number 1 KPF material and Weideman s**t but if our midfield gets back to 2018 inside dominance AND we can supplement that with appropriately used quality forward half users like Fritsch, Melksham, Petracca, Spargo lol, Salem and Bennell (and you add good kicks like Young, Hore, May and Lever - maybe Sparrow and Harmes - to the back six for 22 games which allows the aforementioned to play forward for the full season) to hit them up the KPFs will look a lot better no matter who they are. Especially if that group can also jag their own goals. Getting our four inside mids to gel with the forward distributors (and getting Tomlinson/Langdon to add defensive pressure + outside run) is the key for our off season. Having good KPDs (tick) and KPFs (ummm - no tick) is a bonus but not going to define our year. Same with small forwards IMO. I don’t think we need one as badly as everyone thinks
But then you go on and say Petty is raw, TMac is not a #1 forward and Weid is s**t!? I think our forwardline is possibly the worst in the comp. If Petracca is wanting more time in the midfield, then our F50 will look even worse. You are right. Petty is raw. I'm not sure where the club sees his best footy, down front or back. Looks to have potential, but far from making a big impact. Weid just hasn't put it together and is quite possibly the most frustrating player on our list. TMac had an amazing 2nd half of 2018. But we're no closer to knowing if that was a fluke or possibly what he's capable of on a regular basis.

We have no decent small pressure players. Not one natural crumbing forward. A mid sized Fritsch is our best forward. Joel Smith could provide a similar tough match up, but again, is injury prone and hasn't shown much at senior level. Spargo is a good user, but is not quick enough to play small forward role. Hannan lost all form, Lockhart looks better up the ground. Melksham is dangerous, but we'd rather him delivering the ball. Hunt was better than expected as a small forward but looks far from natural at it.

I think we have potential in Petty, Weid and Smith(to a lesser degree). We have a couple of mid sized dangerous weapons in Fritsch and Melksham(who is too unselfish at times). We probably need Petracca to still play more forward than mid and we need Hunt to continue developing down forward as we have no small pressure forwards who are natural at it. The two big questions for me next season which could determine how functional our F50 is, are TMac and Hannan. Both need to stay fit and find that 2018 form. I'm still staggered we added nothing to this area of our list over the free agency and trade period..

Can anybody read the article about the Freo pick swap with us to move up to get Jackson at 3? I cant cause poxy paywall
I haven’t seen any article. But I saw a trade mentioned on another thread. I think maybe by Knightmare. Pick 3+8 to Freo. 7+10 and Freo 2020 first to Melbourne. Allows freo first access to Jackson. And likely another player before a Henry bid.

I haven’t seen any article. But I saw a trade mentioned on another thread. I think maybe by Knightmare. Pick 3+8 to Freo. 7+10 and Freo 2020 first to Melbourne. Allows freo first access to Jackson. And likely another player before a Henry bid.
If we do something like this, it will come down to whether we think there's a gap between Young and the next batch of kids. I think if we keep 3, we'll bid on Green. Kid looks to be a gun.

If we finish in the bottom 4 next year I might just give up on football

Can't happen

Then fingers crossed most of our issues were fitness related because the list certainly hasn't changed significantly.

i wouldnt mind going to the draft with 7,8 & 10

Sent from my SM-A505YN using Tapatalk

Remove this Banner Ad

Back