Some of my favourite beers

Little Bang - Undercover Fashion Police
Big Shed - Californicator
Green Beacon - Windjammer
White Rabbit - Dark Ale
Prancing Pony - India Red Ale
Lobethal Bierhaus - Choc Oat Stout
Lobethal Bierhaus - Red Truck Porter

Though still love to drink Coopers Pale, Sparkling, Dark and Vintage as well.

Jun 7, 2011
Mount Gambier
AFL Club
Adelaide
I grew up in the Barossa and the Sparkling Shiraz was a big Christmas day thing down there. I actually think it would suit a UK Christmas better though. Its a pretty full-on way to start the day on a 40 degree Christmas morning.

Might have to have a Christmas in July this year, just to bust it out in a better climate ;)

Our group have been drinking sparkling red for 25 years. Has always been a great drop for the right moment.

Jun 7, 2011
Mount Gambier
AFL Club
Adelaide
If you want to support local, grab 78 degrees dry gin.

A high quality drop. Not inexpensive, but your money goes somewhere productive.

We only buy SA for gin and wine. I drink a lot of Coopers, but I'm not SA exclusive when it comes to beer, but it is a primary driver. Our last Xmas in Alice the missus bought the Prohibition Xmas gin which was unbelievable. It was like the Benedictine version of gin and was to die for. No mixer, just ice and even my s**t beer swilling mates wanted seconds. It's easy to look at an extra $50 bucks for a better gin or whiskey and think it's too much. But it's not, get drunk on Bombay but enjoy the odd 78 degrees or whatever floats your boat as a special occasion. Everybody should have a few special tipples that they only enjoy here and there.

Somehow worse than triple j’s hottest 100

There is an serious overrepresentation of pale ales in the top 50. I mean, I get it's a staple, but I was expecting a lot more wanky craft beers to rate highly (and dark ales/stouts are sorely underrepresented!)

And yeah, I was not too impressed with the triple J voter base this year. No Run the Jewels and no Charli XCX in the top 100, who both had some of the more compelling (and topical) projects this year left a bitter taste in my mouth. Also way, way too much Ocean Alley for my taste seeing Tombstone sounds like an 80s rock cover which I can't quite put my finger on.

At least WAP made the top 10. They got that right.

BronCrow

Club Legend
Sep 20, 2019
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool FC
There is an serious overrepresentation of pale ales in the top 50. I mean, I get it's a staple, but I was expecting a lot more wanky craft beers to rate highly (and dark ales/stouts are sorely underrepresented!)

And yeah, I was not too impressed with the triple J voter base this year. No Run the Jewels and no Charli XCX in the top 100, who both had some of the more compelling (and topical) projects this year left a bitter taste in my mouth. Also way, way too much Ocean Alley for my taste seeing Tombstone sounds like an 80s rock cover which I can't quite put my finger on.

At least WAP made the top 10. They got that right.
Any argument with the Crankshaft being number 1?

BronCrow

Club Legend
Sep 20, 2019
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool FC
Yet to try it, though it does sound very interesting.
I'm not sure that Bentspoke are that easy to find in SA. I was told that this is due to the way they are canned. Don't quote me on that though.

I'm not sure that Bentspoke are that easy to find in SA. I was told that this is due to the way they are canned. Don't quote me on that though.

I assume this is to do with the Bentspoke polling highly in the hottest 100 (seeing I'd expect bottle stores would get the inside scoop of what is doing well with those votes prior), but it seems like it's at most BWS in metro Adelaide at the moment.

I'll probably jump on a 4-pack tomorrow to see what the hype is all about.

BronCrow

Club Legend
Sep 20, 2019
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool FC
I assume this is to do with the Bentspoke polling highly in the hottest 100 (seeing I'd expect bottle stores would get the inside scoop of what is doing well with those votes prior), but it seems like it's at most BWS in metro Adelaide at the moment.

I'll probably jump on a 4-pack tomorrow to see what the hype is all about.
No not so much due to high demand, but not sure that bottle shops stock it here, as they have an open top. Was told when I got one at the bottle shop at The Ed about 18 months to 2 years ago that they are not technically supposed to sell them in SA due to this.

1611574651275.png

Because of this it is not recyclable in SA. It breaches the environment act in this state. Don't take my word for this though.

Still readily available on the net to purchase though.

King Of Money

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 11, 2013
34.9155° S, 138.5961° E
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Strikers, 36ers, LA Rams, Liverpool
Thought I'd have a listen and see if I could help you out.
This came to mind straight away.....Benny Mardones...Into the night.

Last edited:
Dec 18, 2007
Arcadia
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Redbacks
No not so much due to high demand, but not sure that bottle shops stock it here, as they have an open top. Was told when I got one at the bottle shop at The Ed about 18 months to 2 years ago that they are not technically supposed to sell them in SA due to this.

View attachment 1045886

Because of this it is not recyclable in SA. It breaches the environment act in this state. Don't take my word for this though.

The Ed or Kings Head?

Nov 1, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
If anyone wants a great gin, that sits between the big brands and the local wank, craft angle

try Martin Miller. There’s not a bartender worth his salt (even the flunkies that Betts are off listens to) who don’t give made props too

best gin in world, has been forever and a day, with a price tag to match: Monkey 47. You can’t do better. You can do cheaper

Mego Red

The Artist Formerly Known As Kristof
10k Posts
Oct 3, 2003
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Soft spot for Brisbane
If anyone wants a great gin, that sits between the big brands and the local wank, craft angle

try Martin Miller. There’s not a bartender worth his salt (even the flunkies that Betts are off listens to) who don’t give made props too

best gin in world, has been forever and a day, with a price tag to match: Monkey 47. You can’t do better. You can do cheaper
I like Monkey 47 - there's a lot going on with it. I tend to like simpler dry gins, but it's a very good special occasion gin and very favourful.

Never tried Martin Miller so I'll be putting that on the list.

View attachment 1045886

That's at Hendon BWS. It does look like the can has changed to a more standard configuration though.

Attachments

• 20210126_130830.jpg
    20210126_130830.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 66

BronCrow

Club Legend
Sep 20, 2019
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool FC
The Ed or Kings Head?

Potentially, though the Kings Head have just reopened. Went out of business during Covid last year. Since they reopened and renovated the place I believe the bottle shop there no longer exists. Had been made in to a cafe.

Another place would be the Little Pub on Hindley. Also Belair Fine Wines up the top of Belair Road and Goodwood Cellars are 2 others.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

May 29, 2011
SA
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt
The goto Gin in our house is Hendricks. We have a mate who loves gin so Ive tried lots of different brands over the years but Id have trouble naming most of them.

hey shorty

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts TheBrownDog
Jun 15, 2005
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
AUFC, Everton, Sturt
Beer:

Like: Superdry, Teds or Great Northern
Dislike: VB, Pirate Life and West End

Spirits: Anything Jacks, Wild Turkey Honey, Bacardi White Rum and Kraken (Favourite atm)
Dislike: Fireball, Johnny Walker Red

I’m more spirits than Beer anyway
You don't like VB or West End but you drink those other 3......

Wow.

Beer:

Like: Superdry, Teds or Great Northern
Dislike: VB, Pirate Life and West End

Spirits: Anything Jacks, Wild Turkey Honey, Bacardi White Rum and Kraken (Favourite atm)
Dislike: Fireball, Johnny Walker Red

I’m more spirits than Beer anyway
Great Northern is just as bad as West End or VB

Back