List Mgmt. The 5 Rebuilding Clubs - Who Has The Most Talent?

Who has the best u23 talent?

• Essendon

• Hawthorn

• North Melbourne

• Adelaide

• Collingwood

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

This shows the all needs to be stricter with the rule regarding using first round picks. Maybe clubs shouldn't be allowed to trade future firsts.
We traded a better draft pick once in the previous decade. The rest of the draft picks were worse due to being in the top 5 between 2011 and 2016

I would hate to think we gave up Cox. It is fair enough.

You may have. We had three straight picks, we called them out in any order knowing that. If we only had one or two, not sure who we would’ve taken. Fair chance it could’ve been Reid first given a KPP was a big priority.

It’s the same as when we got Parish and Francis in successive picks... I remember Dodoro saying at the time that the only possible difference was perhaps slightly more public pressure with a higher draft number... he rated Francis a better player but called Parish out first for that reason, he seemed a a type to handle that better.

I'm probably not as bullish on Essendon's youth as others.

I think there's a fair bit of mayo being put on some of the kids performances to date, impressive, but they aren't the ones driving them atm. They are also still sitting 15th. The media comparing it to Port Adelaide a few years ago are absolutely taking the piss....

Merrett, Parish, McGrath and Heppell are the ones driving Essendon at the moment. The usual suspects.

They obviously have a good batch of talls for the future, but nothing absolutely earth shattering imo.

They are in danger of what they (and North) have done in the last 2 decades - Moving up the ladder too quickly, to their own lists detriment.

They still need another KPF and plenty of other list gaps in the midfield and through the flanks.

We definitely still need more talent, but the senior players aren't driving the side right now. Finding the ball a lot yes, but absolutely butchering it. The reason we've lost so many close games is score against from turnover and those guys bar Parish are the main problem.

Weird Fremantle and Gold Coast were left out of the OP. Both have spent the past few years rebuilding and few expected them to contend this year.
Well, I sadly have to agree with OP. Freo played no finals since 2015, so we should be contending by now.

We have only 6 players left from that year with 4 being best 22.

Hawthorn not getting much love but it's not all doom and gloom. Lewis, Jiath, Kozi, Day, Brockman, Scrimshaw, Moore, Hanrahan, Worpel, DGB, Downie, mostly look minimum afl players for 100+ games. Need a little more top end talent, but Day could potentially be a genuine star should they move him up the ground. Add a Sonsie or Sinn this year and you've got a pretty well balanced selection moving forward.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

To be fair, he’s 16 so I doubt he can remember swimming around in his old man’s gonads.

Lol, I remember 2004 and Essendon's last final win well.

A particular highlight was going to see Team America: World Police in Toronto the night before Bush won the election.

George W Bush was President last time they won a final. They were still winning in Iraq.

So long ago! Different world.

Hawthorn not getting much love but it's not all doom and gloom. Lewis, Jiath, Kozi, Day, Brockman, Scrimshaw, Moore, Hanrahan, Worpel, DGB, Downie, mostly look minimum afl players for 100+ games. Need a little more top end talent, but Day could potentially be a genuine star should they move him up the ground. Add a Sonsie or Sinn this year and you've got a pretty well balanced selection moving forward.

Also have Jeka who is doing very well at VFL level but still a little green for AFL. Plus his style requires a functioning midfield which we dont have.

But we do have 3 picks under 25 if a draft stacked with midfielders.

In 2023 it will be a pretty different team. Burgoyne, McEvoy, Shiels, Breust, Ceglar could all be gone. And replaced with kids.

We are already fielding teams averaging under 25 years and with 7 or 8 kids with under 20 games. Something we havent done since 2005.

You may have. We had three straight picks, we called them out in any order knowing that. If we only had one or two, not sure who we would’ve taken. Fair chance it could’ve been Reid first given a KPP was a big priority.

It’s the same as when we got Parish and Francis in successive picks... I remember Dodoro saying at the time that the only possible difference was perhaps slightly more public pressure with a higher draft number... he rated Francis a better player but called Parish out first for that reason, he seemed a a type to handle that better.

Reid would have to be a hell of a player to be a better prospect than Cox. I think we’re pretty safe.

We definitely still need more talent, but the senior players aren't driving the side right now. Finding the ball a lot yes, but absolutely butchering it. The reason we've lost so many close games is score against from turnover and those guys bar Parish are the main problem.

Your coach and the opposition coaches seem to disagree

Reid would have to be a hell of a player to be a better prospect than Cox. I think we’re pretty safe.

I haven't heard any actual comments but apparently over the summer people at the club said Reid would be the best of the 3, I doubt it considering what we've seen from Cox and Archie but it was nice reading.

Essendon for mine. Imagine how far ahead they'd be if they didn't trade consecutive 1st rounders for Shiel.

I don't think Hawks are in as bad shape as people think.

North will look better with Horne, but can't help but think how much better they would look with Logan McDonald. Quality CHF are so hard to come by.

Essendon for mine. Imagine how far ahead they'd be if they didn't trade consecutive 1st rounders for Shiel.

I don't think Hawks are in as bad shape as people think.

North will look better with Horne, but can't help but think how much better they would look with Logan McDonald. Quality CHF are so hard to come by.

I’m far more annoyed at the refusal to trade Daniher for two first rounders to Sydney then our trade for Shiel.

Don’t worry Essendon will probably be close mid table next year and take their eye off the ball and start chasing finals again to the detriment of the long term premiership chances.

This is a great point, humour aside. This is probably the part where you need to be the most patient and smart with your list and you evaluation.

The right and wrong moves at this critical point, lack of patience etc are normally the difference between the endless spiral of mid table finishes and taking that next step.

Excellent point and not limited to just Essendon.

Back