The 90s thread

Remove this Banner Ad

I've probably said it before but this album was the best Australian album of the 90s.

You Am I - Hi Fi Way

I remember in the early days of IRC chat back around 1995 telling Americans to remember You Am I as they are going to be huge.

Then Silverchair happened.

You Am I deserved to be bigger though.

Purple Sneakers was a masterpiece.

Out of Time was a huge REM album in 1991 where they went mainstream, Losing My Religion was a great single but Shiny Happy People was god awful.

My favourite song off that album which should have been a single is this song.

This is now the 90s REM thread.

Orange Crush
Night swimming

Orange Crush
Night swimming

Orange Crush was the lead single off Green released in 1988.

It didn't hit the charts here though until 1989.

Great song. it was like a call to arms.

It's not a 90s song though so take it elsewhere Gasometer

(Log in to remove this ad.)

******* Goo Goo Dolls, sorry Plugger but that is just forgettable filler to the 90s.

I was never a Nirvana fan, but IMO undoubtedly the song of the 1990s comes from 1991... A song about girls deodorant. And Mullatos, Albinos and mosquitos.

Definitely a game changer that song, changed the whole music landscape of the 90s, although the Pixies were doing the same thing in the late 80s but not many people were paying attention to them.

Conan O'Brien hosted The Tonight Show from June 2009-January 2010 but Jay Leno's scheming got him pushed out. Never watched Leno again.

I know he briefly hosted The Tonight Show before Leno took over again, that show and audience didn't suit Conan anyway as his humour is more left field and zany, he isn't a safe mainstream comedian like Leno or Jimmy Fallon which is what The Tonight Show audience wants.

Conan wrote many of the classic Simpsons of the 90s.

The Monorail episode is what he's best known for, one of my favourite Simpsons episodes.

The Monorail episode is what he's best known for, one of my favourite Simpsons episodes.

Homer Goes To College too.

"Mrs Simpson, Gary spilt his ear medicine"

This is a photo of Conan in the Simpsons writers room chowing down on the burgers they would get delivered for lunch, not as glamorous as you'd think.

sgjk32cno0631.jpg

He mentioned on his podcast that he would sit next to a writer called John Swartzwelder who was a chain smoker so it wouldn't have been that pleasant.

******* Goo Goo Dolls, sorry Plugger but that is just forgettable filler to the 90s.

I was never a Nirvana fan, but IMO undoubtedly the song of the 1990s comes from 1991... A song about girls deodorant. And Mullatos, Albinos and mosquitos.

Kurt despised the song in the end, and they left it off the set list a lot of the time.

I know he briefly hosted The Tonight Show before Leno took over again, that show and audience didn't suit Conan anyway as his humour is more left field and zany, he isn't a safe mainstream comedian like Leno or Jimmy Fallon which is what The Tonight Show audience wants.

Admittedly I didn't watch every episode of The Tonight Show with Conan O'Brien but NBC built him up to the audience for literally years as the next host so get committed to Conan!. It was a monumental error removing him so quickly, all so the old guy wouldn't let leave the network (whom got pushed out permanently a few years later anyway). At the risk of sounding like some New York Times/The Atlantic/AV Club w***er, they lost a generation of viewers there.

That said, in hindsight, Conan should've gone to 11:30pm on FOX when he was king of da youth audience in 2004 or earlier. By the time 2009 came around The Daily Show with Jon Stewart and The Colbert Report had definitely made him less unique.

Now, Stephen Colbert moving from cable to do ******* David Letterman's Late Show, that was very sad. Could've watched The Colbert Report every night for the rest of my life.

Last edited:
Admittedly I didn't watch every episode of The Tonight Show with Conan O'Brien but NBC built him up to the audience for literally years as the next host so get committed to Conan!. It was a monumental error removing him so quickly, all so the old guy wouldn't let leave the network (whom got pushed out permanently a few years later anyway). At the risk of sounding like some New York Times/The Atlantic/AV Club w***er, they lost a generation of viewers there.

That said, in hindsight, Conan should've gone to 11:30pm on FOX when he was king of da youth audience in 2004 or earlier. By the time 2009 came around The Daily Show with Jon Stewart and The Colbert Report had definitely made him less unique.

Now, Stephen Colbert moving from cable to do ******* David Letterman's Late Show, that was very sad. Could've watched The Colbert Report every night for the rest of my life.
Jon Stewart and Colbert are both fantastic.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back