The 90s thread

Remove this Banner Ad

The Colbert Report was satire aimed at people who knew something about the world or were willing to learn.

The Late Show with Stephen Colbert is aimed at a dumber general audience who are watching because it's CBS, goes 60 minutes instead of 30 minutes, and 5 nights a week instead of 4. It's gotten better since he abandoned the "I'm for everyone now!", pre-Trump act and brought back the politics, but you don't need to watch most of it.

The Colbert Report was satire aimed at people who knew something about the world or were willing to learn.

The Late Show with Stephen Colbert is aimed at a dumber general audience who are watching because it's CBS, goes 60 minutes instead of 30 minutes, and 5 nights a week instead of 4. It's gotten better since he abandoned the "I'm for everyone now!", pre-Trump act and brought back the politics, but you don't need to watch most of it.

His monologues are usually pretty good but he will be in trouble if Trump doesn't get re-elected as he makes up about 90% of his material.

He mentioned on his podcast that he would sit next to a writer called John Swartzwelder who was a chain smoker so it wouldn't have been that pleasant.
Simpsons went to s**t once Schwartzwelder left the show. He wrote the majority of their best episodes.

Marge vs the Monorail by O'Brien is however the best one.

The other thing I miss about the 90s: back then Hollywood knew how to make an action blockbuster that delivered and made squillions at the box office. Think Independence Day, Titanic, Armageddon. While these movies are not exactly masterpieces of cinema, they have all the hallmarks of an action blockbuster that left you feeling satisfied as you walked out of the cinema; they are big, loud, dumb, spectacular films that were ludicrously expensive to make and unashamedly patriotic. What does Hollywood come out with now? Superhero rehashes. It's all Marvel and DC characters, year after year after year. And Transformers - LOL. These days there's not much on offer for adults who want to go and watch a big, exciting popcorn movie and can't bring themselves to warm to the superhero franchises.
Ah the good old days. Massive fan of the classic John Claude Van Damme and. Stephen Seagal movies of that 1990s period

The other thing I miss about the 90s: back then Hollywood knew how to make an action blockbuster that delivered and made squillions at the box office. Think Independence Day, Titanic, Armageddon. While these movies are not exactly masterpieces of cinema, they have all the hallmarks of an action blockbuster that left you feeling satisfied as you walked out of the cinema; they are big, loud, dumb, spectacular films that were ludicrously expensive to make and unashamedly patriotic. What does Hollywood come out with now? Superhero rehashes. It's all Marvel and DC characters, year after year after year. And Transformers - LOL. These days there's not much on offer for adults who want to go and watch a big, exciting popcorn movie and can't bring themselves to warm to the superhero franchises.

they just throw all of the action blockbuster heroes in 1 movie (the Expendables)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There was a repeat of that show on the ABC recently where they talked about Australia's variety comedy shows.

Hey Hey It's Saturday was mentioned and of course the Harry Connick Jnr blackface controversy came up.

Everyone is now like "'Harry was right to call us out on our racism"' but back then I thought he was a f***head for disrupting the fun of Red Faces.

I don't really think he's a f***head but Bruce Hornsby is the better pianist of his generation. just saying.

You can't beat this song.

There was a repeat of that show on the ABC recently where they talked about Australia's variety comedy shows.

Hey Hey It's Saturday was mentioned and of course the Harry Connick Jnr blackface controversy came up.

Everyone is now like "'Harry was right to call us out on our racism"' but back then I thought he was a f***head for disrupting the fun of Red Faces.

I don't really think he's a f***head but Bruce Hornsby is the better pianist of his generation. just saying.

You can't beat this song.

This is a brilliant song.

Spider fingers!

This is a brilliant song.

Spider fingers!
And not from the 1990's. ha ha
This song remember hearing on radio in mid 80's. I think he had about two hits around then.
Checked up the year just to see how out of touch with timing Pluggy is. 1986 on this video it says.
'

Cannot remember what the other hit of his was.

Agree, the 90's was also the last decade were comedies were a staple diet and there were some timeless classics produced; Groundhog Day, Dumb and Dumber, Mrs Doubtfire, Happy Gilmore, The Big Lewboski etc.
The evolution of TV Shows/series since the 90's (Sopranos's etc.) has also had a huge impact of the movie industry. The available streaming options and amount of content is the reason that production and specifically writing for TV Shows is more than double that for movies.
There are still some decent movies being made; Once Upon a Time in Hollywood, The Irishman and 1917 are a few recent examples, but sadly because the Superhero/Marvel/DC rehashes and sequels are guaranteed income for movie houses I doubt this trend is going to end soon...

Last edited:
Agree, the 90's was also the last decade were comedies were a staple diet and there were some timeless classics produced; Groundhog Day, Dumb and Dumber, Mrs Doubtfire, Happy Gilmore, The Big Lewboski etc.
The evolution of TV Shows/series since the 90's (Sopranos's etc.) has also had a huge impact of the movie industry. The available streaming options and amount of content is the reason that production and specifically writing for TV Shows is more than double that for movies.
There are a few some decent movies being made, Once Upon a Time in Hollywood, The Irishman and 1917 are a few recent examples, but sadly because the Superhero/Marvel/DC rehashes and sequels are guaranteed income for movie houses I doubt this trend is gong to end soon...

I haven't seen any of those recent movies you mentioned, but Once Upon A Time In Hollywood seems like it was inspired by Boogie Nights - another great 90s film.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back